• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider definitive collection launches (60% off Xbox and PlayStation: $19.99 £17.99)

cormack12

Gold Member
Edit: 60% applies if you are a current PS+ subscriber on UK link. Something screwy with the xbox links on gaf

PSN

Xbox
US Link
UK Link

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
I still need to finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it got delisted from Game Pass. Shadow alone is 75% of the price of this bundle so I'll bite! I really enjoy these games.

Great games, but It's a shame that the 2006-2008 trilogy is forgotten and will not get a remaster.
Uhhhh...
71N0c3Bx6HL._AC_SL1008_.jpg

T-Cake

It's just a shame there is no reasonable way to play them. I mean not many people are going to have a PS3 connected to their TVs these days. They could do with being added to PS Now along with the other trilogy remasters that were done like Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. But that's nigh on impossible. I don't think there have been any PS3 additions to PS Now for many, many, many months.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I still need to finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it got delisted from Game Pass. Shadow alone is 75% of the price of this bundle so I'll bite! I really enjoy these games.
Good job it came out on the PSN+ otherwise I may never have bothered looking into it

Tempted to use my MS points for this. Was saving up for a full price game but not sure if anything is coming out this year?

Could have been a great game but it was obviously unfinished (due to Eidos greed)
Is there a story behind that. Was the game rushed?

I still don't think it would have been good due to other reasons (lack of tombs, modern city setting, not really a great 'adventure', the male protagonist).

sublimit

Banned
Is there a story behind that. Was the game rushed?

I still don't think it would have been good due to other reasons (lack of tombs, modern city setting, not really a great 'adventure', the male protagonist).
There was an EDGE interview with members of Core Design that explained what happened.I'll try to see if i can find ome links. But basically it was due for these reasons:

1)Eidos wanted another (annual) Tomb Raider game for the PS1 and that forced Core Design to split an already relatively small team (for the standards of the time) in to 2 teams. One working on TR Chronicles for PS1 (the smaller but more experienced team) and the bigger but less experienced team on Angel of Darkness.
The plan was that when the team that was working on TRChronicles finished the game they would join the other team on AoD.
However when that happened they found out that other team was very behind schedules.

2)They were being rushed by Eidos to release the game at the same time as the second movie with Angelina Jolie in order to capitalize on the hype and buzz thanks to the movie.

3)The had a relatively small budget and as someone from Core said in that EDGE interview Eidos gave Crystal Dynamics at least 10 times a bigger budget (and much more time) to work on TR Legend. To be fair Eidos allowed to delay the game once but it was obvious they needed much more due to lack of staff

4)Some really bad workflow management from Core Design themselves.

In short the game was supposed to be much bigger than it came out (and more polished of course) but around half of the content was cut in order to meet the deadlines and the game came out butchered and full of bugs and glitches.

Last edited:
It's just a shame there is no reasonable way to play them. I mean not many people are going to have a PS3 connected to their TVs these days. They could do with being added to PS Now along with the other trilogy remasters that were done like Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. But that's nigh on impossible. I don't think there have been any PS3 additions to PS Now for many, many, many months.
xbox one/series plays them in back compat

Animagic

Banned
If you haven't played these games this is a solid deal. Some of these games get a lot of criticism that i don't understand, I loved every one of them.
Yeah I thought they were cool. My favorite one was definitely the first one. It was like lost mixed with survival and tomb Raider all in one. I never felt as engaged by the story in the other 2 but had a good time with them anyway.

DaGwaphics

Great price for those that don't own any of these. I already own the first two, so, I'll probably just wait for a killer sale on the third.

AJUMP23

This was a much better series than I thought it would be. I enjoyed it. The first game had a good enough story they used it to make the newest Tomb Raider movie.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
They on pc and look great

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have a question regarding these games... I wanted some classic Tomb Raider so I got Underworld on PC but it definitely had started on previous entries and don't want to start from the very beginning of the series so... if this is a trilogy, does it mean I only have to play Legend and Anniversary first so I'm not lost on the plot?

Edit: Ok, I forgot to quote the post I intended to reply to... I meannt regarding these games:

71N0c3Bx6HL._AC_SL1008_.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

I have a question regarding these games... I wanted some classic Tomb Raider so I got Underworld on PC but it definitely had started on previous entries and don't want to start from the very beginning of the series so... if this is a trilogy, does it mean I only have to play Legend and Anniversary first so I'm not lost on the plot?

It's a complete reboot from those.

Arcadialane

Imagine a from the ground up remake of the originals with the part where you first come across the dinosaur, or Lara's home gym where you abuse your butler, now that would be cool.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Lazy re-release of a mediocre trilogy of games that got worse as time went on.

Last edited:

Forsythia

For €20 these are definitely worth it. The third game is definitely the weakest, but surprisingly it has the best tombs of the trilogy.

This is cool and all, but at this point all of these games have been available for $5 or under at one time or another. I came into this thread hoping that this was like a version with upgraded resolution or frame rate......packaging these three together for $20 is nothing special....

Top Bottom