• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider definitive collection launches (60% off Xbox and PlayStation: $19.99 £17.99)

ManaByte

This is cool and all, but at this point all of these games have been available for $5 or under at one time or another. I came into this thread hoping that this was like a version with upgraded resolution or frame rate......packaging these three together for $20 is nothing special....
Shadow on the PC with raytracing and DLSS is amazing.

sublimit

Banned
I have a question regarding these games... I wanted some classic Tomb Raider so I got Underworld on PC but it definitely had started on previous entries and don't want to start from the very beginning of the series so... if this is a trilogy, does it mean I only have to play Legend and Anniversary first so I'm not lost on the plot?

Edit: Ok, I forgot to quote the post I intended to reply to... I meannt regarding these games:

71N0c3Bx6HL._AC_SL1008_.jpg
Yes they are a trilogy. Anniversary is a re-imagining of the original 1996 game but with new story bits that tie-in with both Legend and Underworld. Underworld's full story is completed in its DLCs though and they were Xbox360 exclusives (Crystal Dynamics received a lot of hate for that move back then from the TR community)

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I have a question regarding these games... I wanted some classic Tomb Raider so I got Underworld on PC but it definitely had started on previous entries and don't want to start from the very beginning of the series so... if this is a trilogy, does it mean I only have to play Legend and Anniversary first so I'm not lost on the plot?
Anniversary is a remake of the first tomb raider from the 90s. Legend is like a reboot of the series. Underworld is a direct sequel to legend.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes they are a trilogy. Anniversary is a re-imagining of the original 1996 game but with new story bits that tie-in with both Legend and Underworld. Underworld's full story is completed in its DLCs though and they were Xbox360 exclusives (Crystal Dynamics received a lot of hate for that move back then from the TR community)

Anniversary is a remake of the first tomb raider from the 90s. Legend is like a reboot of the series. Underworld is a direct sequel to legend.

Oh, thank you, so I can go straight from Legends to Underworld? Cool

Shadow on the PC with raytracing and DLSS is amazing.
I have a 3090 and honestly the ray tracing in Shadow is really disappointing. The shadows got softer. That's literally it. It's the worst showcase for RT I've seen since getting my 3090 and Cyberpunk's RT makes Shadow looks silly.

OldBoyGamer

Banned

I didn’t realise that. So is there no way to access that dlc anymore other than through an old 360?

the back compat version doesn’t have it right??

OldBoyGamer

Banned
TR reboot is pretty decent. But Way too linear and scripted for my liking. They obviously aimed to beat Uncharted but failed imo.

Rise wasn’t as fun. Felt by the numbers. Had little soul and the bad guys were just dull and uninteresting.

shadow felt like a final push to again outdo Uncharted. It has soul but it’s gameplay feels tired and dull to me. I havent been able to motivate myself to return to it despite only being a handful of hours on. Lara comes across worse in Shadow too. A shadow of her formal self if you forgive the pun. And the NPC characters are also pretty meh too. Story too was just tired.

I really should give Shadow another go but I know im going to have to put up with a lot of mediocrity to get to some good bits.

sublimit

Banned
I didn’t realise that. So is there no way to access that dlc anymore other than through an old 360?

the back compat version doesn’t have it right??
As far as i know they are still only available through XBLive Marketplace.

Don't worry though they are not that good and the story of the LAU trilogy was trash anyway. One of the two dlcs it was proven that it was content that was cut-off from the main game in order to sell it as DLC. The fact that it was exclusive was just the cherry on top of Crystal Dynamics shitty cake.

You really shouldn't "congratulate" those practises with your money even if it's a decade later.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

It's just a shame there is no reasonable way to play them. I mean not many people are going to have a PS3 connected to their TVs these days. They could do with being added to PS Now along with the other trilogy remasters that were done like Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. But that's nigh on impossible. I don't think there have been any PS3 additions to PS Now for many, many, many months.
PC is quite reasonable !

Top Bottom