• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Review Thread!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Dead Space 3. Crysis 3.

Most people that buy these games seem to be having a great time with them...( Can't speak from personal experience as I haven't bought either of them yet)

On Topic, I am suprised to see this getting great reviews. I had high hopes, but realistically didnt see it coming together.

Looks like this will definitely be my first Tomb Raider game. Looking forward to the hair physics.

I don't think they reviewed like Tomb Raider is reviewing.

And for what it's worth (I.e. what I've played) both DS3 and Crysis 3 are FAR from clunkers. Geez you guys are a tough crowd.

I can imagine that Derrick views Crysis 3 as a clunker because it's not like Crysis 1, and Dead Space 3 is awful because it's not like it's predecessor either.

lol clunker, that's a funny word

Derrick01

Banned
A 79 Metacritic isn't amazing in video games though.

It's not that far from a 86. "Amazing" is 90+ to me, going by current game reviewing standards.

Ravensmash said:
I can imagine that Derrick views Crysis 3 as a clunker because it's not like Crysis 1, and Dead Space 3 is awful because it's not like it's predecessor either.

You're right to a degree. Both franchises were also twisted into modern dudebro garbage, dead space slightly less so.

nel e nel

A 7.5 from X360A.

Reading this right now, and it's fascinating how they have the almost opposite reaction to many of the other reviews. They really enjoyed the puzzles but hated the combat, while lots of other folks enjoyed the combat but felt the puzzles were too 'lite'.

It's not that far from a 86. "Amazing" is 90+ to me, going by current game reviewing standards.

You're right to a degree. Both franchises were also twisted into modern dudebro garbage, dead space slightly less so.

Does that make the individual product a terrible game? Or is it more that you don't like the direction, and cannot differentiate between what could be a competent product in it's own right, and a technically broken or poorly designed title?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with thinking that Crysis 3 is a bad sequel to the very original, but to lament it and judge it solely on an older title seems awfully narrow minded. Crysis 3 I can understand to a degree though (although 2 would be a better game to cast judgement on for that sole reason), but Tomb Raider? It's a complete reboot of the franchise suited towards 'modern' tastes.

If those tastes aren't shared by you, then it's a fairly simple decision to say "Nope, this isn't for me", it does seem odd to constantly bash it for little reason other than a change across decades.

If those tastes aren't shared by you, then it's a fairly simple decision to say "Nope, this isn't for me", it does seem odd to constantly bash it for little reason other than a change across decades.

This is a battle you will never win around here. Just keep on moving forward, chin up. There are others with your same mentality, hiding, in the shadows... waiting. :D

Lime

You're assuming that all subjective experiences have some sort of objective analysis that everyone must kowtow to. "Ludonarrative dissonance? Minus 2 points. Not enough emphasis on raiding tombs? Minus 1.5 points." People complain about boxes being checked off a list for a game's elements, and then condemn reviews that refuse to demerit a game by a certain amount for every flaw they find, no matter how slight.

It's perfectly normal for people to recognize flaws, and still award something with a high score. (aka the fun parts outweighed the bad parts for them; the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts)

It's also perfectly normal for people's opinions to vary on subjective experiences. So one person's 10 will be another person's 3.

I've been reading several of the reviews and while almost all of them mention the weird narrative disconnect at the beginning of the game, almost all of them also say they quickly forgot about it and went on with enjoying a well crafted experience. Of course, YMMV, so what one person can overlook or forgive another will find intolerable.

Reviews are opinions, nothing more, nothing less. The best we can do as readers/buyers, is to find reviewers who's tastes line up the closest to our own so we can have some sort of guidepost as to whether or not we'll enjoy a particular release.

That's cool and all, but in no part of my post did I talk about subjective vs. objective analysis. Instead I was responding to Solo's perception of the "GAF" criticisms contra the review outlet assessment by showing that the latter does not negate the former.

DomLando

This has probably been talked about but I couldn't find anything on it. Any differences in the PS3 and 360 versions? Trying to decide which to pre order.

calder

This has probably been talked about but I couldn't find anything on it. Any differences in the PS3 and 360 versions? Trying to decide which to pre order.

Yeah, and any PC reviews? I want to get it on PC but the previews are pretty vague on how much better the PC version was intended to be.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Why? Especially today. What was the last clunker with amazing reviews?

this is why its silly when people ask you disregard reviews entirely as if they provide absolutely nothing of relevance. absolutely terrible games as far as a general consensus goes dont get universal acclaim.

antitrop

The first 15 minutes of Crysis 1 are some of the most dudebro in all of video games.

I haven't played Crysis 3, but I doubt the series has strayed far from its roots in regards to that.

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
New Hitman game was criticized by GAF for its design decisions. Gets high review scores. It sold poorly.

New Devil May Cry game was criticized by GAF for its design decisions. Gets high review scores. It sold poorly.

I am now confused as to why you are championing this pattern and feeling somehow you are proving people wrong when the game is pointing towards poor sales.

I have to say I have played both Hitman Absolution and DMC and i found them both to be incredibly enjoyable (although neither were nearly as difficult as their predecessors). I plan on buying Tomb Raider and although the disconnect from the narrative and gameplay is obvious i still think it will be a good game. I mean it worked with Far Cry 3

Derrick01

Banned
The first 15 minutes of Crysis 1 are some of the most dudebro in all of video games.

I haven't played Crysis 3, but I doubt the series has strayed far from its roots in regards to that.

15 minutes of a 15 hour game. Crysis 3 stays like that for all 5 hours, and it's a lot more linear and in general made for the console audience.

rvy

Banned
LOL, this is great.

A large sect of GAF shits on the game for months. Game gets great reviews anyways. Day one.

You shit on MGS 4 on a yearly basis and it got great reviews. Reviews don't mean jack to anyone except the dude who walks into Gamestop to buy games and people who post on GFaqs/GT.
Not to mention they are also incredibly biased to whoever publisher they need to suck up to. GT trashed the game throughout the review and ended up giving it a 8.5. EDGE, who is known for nitpicking everything, gives this game an 8, even though they say the game is a collage of everything else done in this generation, but then say that it retains its identity. I sure do remember killing shit for XP in 1997.

So, excuse me if I don't take reviews very seriously these days.

Lime

Should I go 360/PS3 or PC for this one? After watching the Conan review my interest is renewed.

PC has next-gen hair effects and 16 times higher texture resolutions (and obviously rendering higher resolutions and lots of AA as well):

tr9_conceptart_v1_tr_lgii4.jpg
tr9_conceptart_v1_tr_l9uvq.jpg
tr9_conceptart_v1_tr_d1ueu.jpg
tr9_conceptart_v1_tr_9luh7.jpg

szaromir

Banned
Dead Space 3. Crysis 3.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Clunker according to who? Most people have thoroughly enjoyed those games and see them as great bits of fun.
A 79 Metacritic isn't amazing in video games though.
They didn't get amazing reviews. Good reviews, but nowhere near amazing.
Most people that buy these games seem to be having a great time with them...( Can't speak from personal experience as I haven't bought either of them yet)
I don't think they reviewed like Tomb Raider is reviewing.
And for what it's worth (I.e. what I've played) both DS3 and Crysis 3 are FAR from clunkers. Geez you guys are a tough crowd.
What? Neither got amazing reviews. And, in my experience, Crysis 3 is actually pretty good.

Wow. 6 people were lured by such an obvious bait.

wouwie

Has there been any PS3 footage yet or impressions? I know there was a comparison video but i'd like to know how the framerate is on PS3 before i order. Iirc, the last Tomb Raider on PS3 had pretty terrible framerate.

Bert

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but with a PS+ sub now I'm holding off buying games if I can.

Is this confirmed/likely for an early next-gen upport? I'm liking the look of it, but can wait if there's a definitive console version coming.

(INB4 get it on PC: I own a MacBook Air a PS3 and nothing else)

Revven

Still a better option than trusting GAF for that.

I'd sooner trust what a few GAFfers say than what a group of "journalists" would say about a video game after having been to a bunch of events with the game's developers & getting buddy buddy with'em.

Okay, I wasn't going to get this game but $33.74* for the PC version on Amazon? It is hard to say no to that. I need that swooshy hair.

*Use promotional code CAGROCKS during checkout.

Why? Especially today. What was the last clunker with amazing reviews?

Dead Space 3...

Giant Bomb...and usually Edge are about the only reliable outlets these days and even they have their off-days.

For what it's worth...we've been lied to...alot.

And if not lied to, we've been buried in hyperbolic nonsense from the outlets for so long...there's some justification in being a tough crowd.

Also...doesn't SquarEnix/Eidos have a bit of a reputation for being absolute assholes about reviews?

Top Bottom