• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki's new studio: Apex Game Studios, and game: Warrior (it's blockchain NFT metaverse stuff)

Begleiter

I was wondering a while ago what has happened to this guy. Can't picture him doing well in the current landscape, but at least he's working.

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but great games are the product of great teams--not a single person. Game directors are the single most overrated people in the game industry. We have literally dozens of examples of them going off on their own and failing miserably.

I honestly don't think Itagaki was ever that great. Tecmo is doing fine without him. They're still producing good stuff like Nioh, and he's doing a whole lot of jack.

It's like, you could take 1991 Miyamoto, let him go off on his own and build a game studio, and I guarantee you none of the games would have been any good. These "directors" get so much credit when the bulk of the heavy lifting is the infrastructure and culture of a company and the grunts actually making things happen.

Last edited:

Shifty

All this talk of teams, yet no acknowledgement of the correlation between Itagaki getting the boot and Ninja Gaiden beginning its downslope into dead franchise status.

He may be a prideful twat - now finally washed out - but there was a clear tipping point where the series lost the X factor that made it special, and that was when Koei Tecmo rushed out vanilla 2 and showed him the door.

The current team is perfectly capable at what they're doing now, but they clearly had no idea what to do with NG in his absence; the Sigma games tweaked nearly all the wrong things, 3's direction change was a crater from the start, and while they did pull a solid action game together with Razor's Edge, the damage was already done.

Last edited:

Skifi28

He should team up with Molyneux for the ultimate NFT collaboration. Historians will speak of it as the moment humanity's downfall became truly irreversible.

Last edited:
Maybe this is stating the obvious, but great games are the product of great teams--not a single person. Game directors are the single most overrated people in the game industry. We have literally dozens of examples of them going off on their own and failing miserably.

I honestly don't think Itagaki was ever that great. Tecmo is doing fine without him. They're still producing good stuff like Nioh, and he's doing a whole lot of jack.

It's like, you could take 1991 Miyamoto, let him go off on his own and build a game studio, and I guarantee you none of the games would have been any good. These "directors" get so much credit when the bulk of the heavy lifting is the infrastructure and culture of a company and the grunts actually making things happen.
I mean, take what you will about Tecmo as a whole, but the Ninja Gaiden and DOA IPs have seen better days. It's not like we can't even feel Itagaki's absence from there or anything like that. That's the other side of a coin; a director may just be one team member, but that doesn't mean he's someone that's easily replaced, so one leaving isn't something to take lightly.

Also, that statement about Miyamoto is rather bold when you consider that there actually were notable names who jumped ship from Nintendo. (Intsys's Shouzou Kaga, or the guys that made Armature Studios, for some examples)
The idea that Miyamoto in 1991 would somehow do worse than any of those would be rather farfetched, I'd imagine.
Of course, the art of founding a whole new studio is a good bit of a different beast than just directing one game under another company's employ, so all of this is more complicated than that. But regardless, there's Igarashi and Kojima-likes to contrast with the Inafune and Itagaki-likes, so clearly there's something more going on that just "Director is important" vs. "Director is not important".

I mean, take what you will about Tecmo as a whole, but the Ninja Gaiden and DOA IPs have seen better days. It's not like we can't even feel Itagaki's absence from there or anything like that. That's the other side of a coin; a director may just be one team member, but that doesn't mean he's someone that's easily replaced, so one leaving isn't something to take lightly.

Also, that statement about Miyamoto is rather bold when you consider that there actually were notable names who jumped ship from Nintendo. (Intsys's Shouzou Kaga, or the guys that made Armature Studios, for some examples)
The idea that Miyamoto in 1991 would somehow do worse than any of those would be rather farfetched, I'd imagine.
Of course, the art of founding a whole new studio is a good bit of a different beast than just directing one game under another company's employ, so all of this is more complicated than that. But regardless, there's Igarashi and Kojima-likes to contrast with the Inafune and Itagaki-likes, so clearly there's something more going on that just "Director is important" vs. "Director is not important".

I get what you're saying, but those aren't super great examples. Armature mostly ports stuff and their original games have been terrible.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
GameFi — a portmanteau of “game” and “finance” — involves blockchain games that offer economic incentives to play them, otherwise known as play-to-earn games. Typically, players can earn in-game rewards by completing tasks, battling other players or progressing through various game levels.

Two points that will always remain true about GameFi:

1. The developers will make more money off the players hard work than the players can ever "earn" themselves
2. I will never play a game like this.

Vindicator

itagaki-as-you-know-im-pro.gif

Top Bottom