• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Neil Young

Great game, fantastic remake. Only flaw is it reminds me of how shitty I was at the games originally. This is one of those games that I LOVE to play but can never get good no matter how hard I try. I suck at it but have tons of fun anyway.

dano1

A Sheep
Great game, fantastic remake. Only flaw is it reminds me of how shitty I was at the games originally. This is one of those games that I LOVE to play but can never get good no matter how hard I try. I suck at it but have tons of fun anyway.

Same here. Not great at the game but I can’t stop playin! Need to open the next area!!
They do have assists to help score big but I’m stubborn and won’t turn them on. Yet..

Tiamat2san

You might not want to do that. In the demo, there was nothing to separate scores achieved with mods and scores that were not. There's something in the stats menu in the full game that lists both best run with mods and without, but that's only for that area, and it isn't per level. I would guess that the main scores stats on each level won't know the difference. You should consider just getting better over the days and weeks like you did 20 years ago. Longevity and replay value aren't a bad thing. But being stuck with an insane "high score" because you turned on cheats sounds like a bad idea.

i don’t care about leaderboards.
I will play the game in short sessions and I am currently playing 6 different games with different gameplays.
And most of all I don’t have the patience anymore to get good.
But I respect your point of view but I am a lazy bitch nowadays. 😂

SuperGooey

I'm having trouble grasping the physics in this game.

Even though I maxed out my air stats and have a full special bar, the distance and height of my jumps over gaps and onto ledges seems completely random. As a result, I cannot complete the jump the rooftop gaps on Downtown. I'm quite frustrated because, again, sometimes I can clear a gap easily and other times I can't, and it seems completely random.

Any tips? This is really ruining my enjoyment of this game at the moment.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I'm having trouble grasping the physics in this game.

Even though I maxed out my air stats and have a full special bar, the distance and height of my jumps over gaps and onto ledges seems completely random. As a result, I cannot complete the jump the rooftop gaps on Downtown. I'm quite frustrated because, again, sometimes I can clear a gap easily and other times I can't, and it seems completely random.

Any tips? This is really ruining my enjoyment of this game at the moment.

Some characters seem to have a much easier time, I didn't have nearly maxed stats with Tony, but I was able to clear that gap very easily after doing a few tricks in the vert ramp first then hitting it head on, make sure you do a boneless too, double tap up right before you leave the ramp for extra distance.

I tried again with Mullen and he wasn't even getting close, I had to go get a ton more stat points and crank his Air, Hangtime, and Ollie and Speed just to be able to make it across that one gap. just keep raising relevant stats, make sure you do a bunch of tricks before the ramp approach so your speed is up, do a boneless, and you'll eventually get it.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Some characters seem to have a much easier time, I didn't have nearly maxed stats with Tony, but I was able to clear that gap very easily after doing a few tricks in the vert ramp first then hitting it head on, make sure you do a boneless too, double tap up right before you leave the ramp for extra distance.

I tried again with Mullen and he wasn't even getting close, I had to go get a ton more stat points and crank his Air, Hangtime, and Ollie and Speed just to be able to make it across that one gap. just keep raising relevant stats, make sure you do a bunch of tricks before the ramp approach so your speed is up, do a boneless, and you'll eventually get it.
Thanks. I'm using the Reaper and Tony Hawk, and sometimes I clear the gap, and other times I can't clear the same gap. I'm still stuck on the Rooftop Gaps. I'm building up speed on the vert ramp, and ugh...

I don't remember every having to do a boneless to clear gaps in the original. I'm gonna keep practicing, but I seem to be playing worse and worse! Haha

EDIT: I'm going to fucking smash this game.

EDIT: Now I'm easily making the gaps... WTF? I'm not doing anything different. Is my game broken or something?

EDIT 3: I finally completed the rooftop one. Phew! Now I love this game again.

Last edited:
My copy still didn't arrive. And just as a bonus kick in the stones, my mate who lives about a mile up the road pre-ordered from the same place and his turned up this morning.
tumblr_ly48lrBbdE1rn95k2o1_500.gif

chigstoke

One level that had a bit of a fucky jump for me was the jump from the roof of the building in Venice to the secret tape. I couldn’t do it, at all.

In the end I reached the tape by launching off of a tabletop at the bottom. That was the only one I think I had problems with in both 1+2.

Death gap was also a bit of a ball ache but that was a case of jumping at the wrong moment rather than feeling like the game itself.

Oh whaaaaaaatttttt.
It's lost all of my progress! WTF is happening?

It said there was a cloud sync error and asked me to pick a save, so I picked the latest one that looked correct and in back to level 1???? Everything is gone.
I was at about 40% complete on both games.

Guess I'll just have to blast it all out again. This sucks.

Anyone notice a weird graphical glitch on Downtown? Like when you're skating in the streets there's this noticeable bar like thing horizontally in front of your character that's very distracting. Base PS4 btw.

Can I create a female custom skater with a female body?
So far it seems I can chose a woman's head but she has a male body
No but really? Can I be a female in this game? Besides the premade women???

Just looked into it. Basically, it seems there are a grand total of 2 body types that depend on the face you select when making your skater, essentially a male and female body. Can't change your height, weight, or measurements in any way. It's really limited for a game that wants you to unlock so much apparel.

Played for a couple of hours today. Game is freakin incredible. That 20+-year-old muscle memory coming straight back is SO good. I'm actually amazed at how much fun I had. Games haven't been that much fun for me in a long time.

Really an excellent achievement, great graphics and perfectly re-done levels which pretty much feel like they're straight out of my nostalgia memory. I hope we see some next-gen graphics upgrades.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This game was so fucking dope back in the day. I used to have all my friends from the block coming over to play, my two best friends would come over, some kids we knew from school would come over and play, game was impeccable. I was a little kid still in elementary so one night my friends were passing by my house as I was shooting hoops on my basketball court one warm summer night at like 8pm. Their dad stopped right at our house just to say what's up, my friends being in the passenger seat and in the back seat and I remember saying what's up and then jogging as they were rolling away because I forgot I wanted to tell them something about the game (their pops was rolling like 5mph so I could keep up and say what I wanted to say) I was all excited beaming as im running im sure and just telling them about the new skate park I had just earned earlier that day--which was Roswell, New Mexico. I remember telling them there was a UFO there too lol. Damn, what a great memory....

Seemed to be the way back then. Just being a kid, playing video games and playing outside all day with your friends. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was something else...felt like one of those games that brought everyone together. Actually that was probably the few games beside Super Mario 64, Smash Bros. games, Mario Kart 64, and maybe some other that truly was a blockbuster game in that everyone you knew and were friends with were at your pad and playing

Seeing this game make a comeback is a beautiful moment for me, especially since a lot of new fans of the sport and game will get to experience it. Monumental title

yurqqa

Is there really any benefit in going over 60 fps in this kind of games ?

Apart from "money we'll spend" feeling of course.

Seemed to be the way back then. Just being a kid, playing video games and playing outside all day with your friends. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was something else...felt like one of those games that brought everyone together. Actually that was probably the few games beside Super Mario 64, Smash Bros. games, Mario Kart 64, and maybe some other that truly was a blockbuster game in that everyone you knew and were friends with were at your pad and playing

Goldeneye was one of those games.

Is there really any benefit in going over 60 fps in this kind of games ?

Apart from "money we'll spend" feeling of course.
On a 144hz monitor it looks smoother. I can really tell the difference. It won't get you a better score though I wouldn't imagine.

Hmm this game is making my laptop freeze completely and I've not had that for a while. It's definitely not overheating I don't think as not been playing long. Haven't checked it out though. Maybe I should limit the framerate a little as see if that helps. Surely it's not a ram issue as I have 16gb. Sigh.

It's really annoying.

Edit - I think maybe v sync caused it and it had put itself on for some reason. It was jittery as anything with it on but now it's off again it's buttery like before.

Last edited:

Deanington

So glad this came out. It was much needed for me. I was getting really bored with all these super serious games that have been releasing and this cured that nostalgic, arcady, in game collecting, and just pure fun itch. Yes it gets frustrating too, but damn I cant put it down. Absolutely incredible game.

Nymphae

Banned
It's so great. Finished up all the goals last night for both games and now I'm getting stat points for everyone, haven't even touched MP yet, it can wait. Having too much fun just finding all the lines again and trying to get my combo skills back.

Already dying for the bigger crazier levels from later games, I really hope they either release another one of 3&4 or just release them as additional DLC Tours or something, I need more. Alcatraz from 4 was a personal favourite.

I feel ripped off on the skater videos, you only get one short little video for each skater after getting all of their stat points across 2 games. I can't remember how the unlocks worked in the OG games, but there must have been 2 videos at least for each skater across the 2 games, the old videos should have just been put in. I want more videos damnit. Rodneys one foot nose manual is ridiculous.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did anyone with a surround system notice that the intro movie had only right and center channels, and no left channel? Or just me? Really weird.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So glad this came out. It was much needed for me. I was getting really bored with all these super serious games that have been releasing and this cured that nostalgic, arcady, in game collecting, and just pure fun itch. Yes it gets frustrating too, but damn I cant put it down. Absolutely incredible game.

Way too many developers have completely lost track of what fun is. I felt the exact same way, starting this up.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No but really? Can I be a female in this game? Besides the premade women???
He said Resetera approved.
I can see why, created a character and he was screaming like a Girl, so yeah you can and you can give them male or female voice if you want

I want this game on PC, but I've finally realised that I don't play games that I've bought from the EGS and I always re-buy them when they come to Steam. So I'm finally learning to wait... When is this coming to Steam?

I want this game on PC, but I've finally realised that I don't play games that I've bought from the EGS and I always re-buy them when they come to Steam. So I'm finally learning to wait... When is this coming to Steam?
+1 I would also like to know if this info is out there I had a quick google and couldn't find anything.

Spokker

Am I right to assume that everybody is buying this on PS4 because it has the d-pad they used when they were younger? That's my reasoning.

The Xbox d-pad sucks anyway.

Top Bottom