• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

That's really cool.

Had a blast taking my family through THP1 and the first two parks so far. My 8 year old daughter is better at it than my son, wife lost her mojo over the years (doesn't play games much anymore but loved returning to it) and I fell right back into doing combos and specific tricks no worries. Sweet AF game, great remaster and I had to splash out for deluxe digital edition to support the game and well...I just wanted Ripper.

I bought this a while ago and finally got a chance to play it and wow I'm so bad now.

It also might be my PS4 controller but if seems hard as hell to do manuals.

Manuals are pretty essential for high score combos, right?

isual

very nostalgic. the BGM and the gameplay put a smile to my face. i do hope they remake thps 3 and 4.

i can't remember, but did they add any new stages and are there hidden stages?

Last edited:
I bought this a while ago and finally got a chance to play it and wow I'm so bad now.

It also might be my PS4 controller but if seems hard as hell to do manuals.

Manuals are pretty essential for high score combos, right?

Use the d-pad. Just tap "up, down" or "down, up" after you jump, but before you land. If you try to use the analog stick, it's harder to do. And yes, essential is the word for it.

bender

What time is it?
100% Tour Progress on THPS. Can't wait to dive into THPS2. This game is sooooo good.

giphy.gif

MastAndo

Gold Member
Just 100%'d THPS1, and onto 2. My Create-A-Skater is a stud at this point, and I'm finding it much easier to pull off pretty big combos than it was early on. I switched to D-pad as well, which helped.

Each area seems to have this one goal that gives me fits and it takes me forever until I realized that having your Special full makes you faster and able to ollie/vert higher. My hands are cramping up big time though, lol. Very addictive game, and just as fun as I remember it.

The create a skater sucks shit, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to play, not only are there no attractive female options, just in general the clothing choices and whatnot seem really blah.

It seems to be missing all the crazy characters you could unlock or create in the past games, it's a real shame.

Other than that it's cool though.

shubik

Just 100%'d THPS1, and onto 2. My Create-A-Skater is a stud at this point, and I'm finding it much easier to pull off pretty big combos than it was early on. I switched to D-pad as well, which helped.

Each area seems to have this one goal that gives me fits and it takes me forever until I realized that having your Special full makes you faster and able to ollie/vert higher. My hands are cramping up big time though, lol. Very addictive game, and just as fun as I remember it.

My right hand is fucking killing me :D played the whole day yesterday.

I really hope this game sells like crazy so that we finally get games like this or ssx tricky for next-gen. I never understood why the publishers abolished this type of game anyway...

My right hand is fucking killing me :D played the whole day yesterday.

I really hope this game sells like crazy so that we finally get games like this or ssx tricky for next-gen. I never understood why the publishers abolished this type of game anyway...

They drove it into the ground with gameplay gimmicks that nobody wanted, then they buried it even further with motion controls and physical accessory gimmicks that nobody wanted. Then they decided that they wanted the money the series was known for again, but they didn't want to pay for a quality developer or even give a mediocre developer the resources and time that they needed.

Now FINALLY, someone seems to have realized "Hey, maybe if we make the game that fans actually want, loads of them will come back and they'll bring their children." Well thank goodness, because to quote another Activision property, it's about time!

SkylineRKR

The SF gap did me in. Until I did some tricks on the 2 ramps and shot for the nosegrab.

Oddspeak

Almost the perfect Tony Hawk game. Great recreations of old levels, great soundtrack, fantastic controls with smart additions from later games. Vicarious Visions really practiced good judgment all around.

Unfortunately, the lack of online free skate is really disappointing. That was literally the only thing I cared to do online - chill with friends in an endless free skate lobby, as I did in Underground 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Man, online is a blast! So addictive to go head to head against a small lobby of skaters.

Anyone know how the rank works? Mine is blank, is there a minimum number of games or something?

sixamp

I have a question. Wtf do I do with the boards, wheels and grip tape I buy from the skate shop? I thought I could use them with my current skater but I can't find them. Are they to be used only with a custom character?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Been out of town since Friday can’t wait to get back and play some more.
I suck so bad...can't get enough medals to unlock the next stage in THPS1 lol. Got most of the simple ones, so at a impasse.
Lol I suck too. To get high scores you really have to string together some nice combos. In the warehouse I slowly got better by using that grind rail. I would make a jump then land into a manual then jump from there onto the rail then jump into another manual etc.

Also you can get a lot of points by jumping the gaps at the entrance of the big room. Ride up to the right side ramp (just to the right of where you would go up to he starting point) and grind the rail to the left then jump the gap grind jump then you can bounce off the wall and grind back and go back to where you were. That’s a good way to get a lot of points. I’m still learning myself tho! I think throwing manuals all over is a good strat.

Tesseract

Banned
Almost the perfect Tony Hawk game. Great recreations of old levels, great soundtrack, fantastic controls with smart additions from later games. Vicarious Visions really practiced good judgment all around.

Unfortunately, the lack of online free skate is really disappointing. That was literally the only thing I cared to do online - chill with friends in an endless free skate lobby, as I did in Underground 1 and 2.
they said we'll get this stuff later in the fall

Daffy Duck

Been out of town since Friday can’t wait to get back and play some more.

Lol I suck too. To get high scores you really have to string together some nice combos. In the warehouse I slowly got better by using that grind rail. I would make a jump then land into a manual then jump from there onto the rail then jump into another manual etc.

Also you can get a lot of points by jumping the gaps at the entrance of the big room. Ride up to the right side ramp (just to the right of where you would go up to he starting point) and grind the rail to the left then jump the gap grind jump then you can bounce off the wall and grind back and go back to where you were. That’s a good way to get a lot of points. I’m still learning myself tho! I think throwing manuals all over is a good strat.

Yeah totally, whilst playing last night on the mall level I was just mashing buttons and managed to pull off a combo with a 900 in there that if landed would’ve got me 44k points.... I bailed.

:|

bender

What time is it?
Onto THPS2. The Hanger goals completed in three runs while listening to Prmus. It feels like riding a bike skateboard. Memories.

Seems like some of y'all need combo building tips.
Build your special meter anyhow then find a pool or half pipe. Hit a special grab, revert, manual to the other side and hit a special flip (put one on up down X, the other on up down y) then manual again to a grind rail and grind, hitting a special grind with up down y. When you need to manual, hit a special manual with up down y and you're set.

Look for opportunities to do this everywhere, basically get one vert special and one grind special in and a special manual every time.

I'm not amazing, my highest is 250k at the mo I think but back in the day I could land a million combo..

bender

What time is it?
If you just build up your manual balance stats, you can revert/manual after you do a special air trick and then just juggle manual combos by spamming square, triangle and circle and easily clear all of the High/Pro/Sick scores and High Combo goals.

Blond

Banned
Been playing in between study breaks and this a return to form in the classic playstyle before it went off the rails with THUG 2 and American Wasteland.

I personally would love another Project 8 style of game because it's handling felt like a perfect mix of Arcade and Realism which they got rid of for Proving Grounds for some reason.

hxcmuziq

Banned
Can someone tell if the game has split screen plus online? Like... My kids can play split screen on their ps4 at their mom's house and I can join them on my ps4 at my house?

rob305

Just 100% THPS1 and 2. Was a fun run, but I'm good now. Maybe I'll check back in a month or 2 to see if there are any crazy user created parks

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Slowly like Dark Souls I am dying over and over and learning how to master the game. So far my fave strat is looking for mutiple grind spots in a row, like trees and landscaping curbs in the School. Ride up, mayb start by riding the rail down then grind those curbs jumping from one to the other, using different directions for each grind. Helps to do stuff leadin up to and from these jumping grind tricks.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Yoooo I fucks with this collectors edition. I can't wait to build out this board and go for a ride even if I feel like I shouldn't lol.

Secondly, it's time to paint my walls this white paint from when I purchased my house a couple years ago is starting to wear already lol

DFpDozA.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I finally had a couple of hours to play this gem. I reached Venice Beach park and it looks so glorious. It's shaping up to be my favorite remaster ever.

THPS3/4 DLC is a no-brainier at this point.

Grinchy

Banned
Yesterday I finally had a couple of hours to play this gem. I reached Venice Beach park and it looks so glorious. It's shaping up to be my favorite remaster ever.

THPS3/4 DLC is a no-brainier at this point.
My baseless prediction: These 2 games were an easy risk. There is just a level with a goals list, no big deal. But 3 and 4 would require voice acting and small little cutscenes where you talk to the people standing around to give you your goals.

So, this game doing well will guarantee those, but it will cost more. We may even see them as standalone remakes instead of a package deal.

My baseless prediction: These 2 games were an easy risk. There is just a level with a goals list, no big deal. But 3 and 4 would require voice acting and small little cutscenes where you talk to the people standing around to give you your goals.

So, this game doing well will guarantee those, but it will cost more. We may even see them as standalone remakes instead of a package deal.
I think only 4 had voice-acting. 3 had pretty much the same structure as 1 and 2.

That said, I doubt many people care about the original quality of voice acting in 4. They can re-use it or remove it completely and only keep the text and not much would be lost.

At this point, as long as we're getting more content, I'd be happy with a second remake for 3 and 4, or just selected levels as DLC. But what I want most would be brand new levels or a brand new game.

Grinchy

Banned
At this point, as long as we're getting more content, I'd be happy with a second remake for 3 and 4, or just selected levels as DLC. But what I want most would be brand new levels or a brand new game.
THPS2 has the biggest nostalgia factor for me, but when I replay them these days, I think 3 and 4 are much better as games. So I'm with you on wanting to see 3 and 4 remade. Hopefully they do it as a package, too. It'd be nice to not have such a fragmented userbase for the online.

Nymphae

Banned
They should have made it so each skater can clear each of the level goals on their own, it feels a little hollow beating both sets of level goals as one skater, then simply doing stat point runs with everyone else because you completed all the tasks once. Just seems like an easy way to add a lot more replayability for the single player modes.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just unlocked downtown. Ah this game is so good! I love finding all the hidden stuff in each level and then figuring out how to get the high score.

Top Bottom