• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 NEW Games of May 2023

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

May 2023 is filled with interesting new game releases for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X | S, PS4, Switch and Xbox One. Here are the games worth paying attention to.

0:00 Intro
0:18 The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
1:55 System Shock
4:25 Amnesia: The Bunker
6:07 After Us
7:25 Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun
8:43 Miasma Chronicles
9:46 Age of Wonders 4
10:49 The Outlast Trials
12:07 Redfall
13:05 The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
14:49 Bonus

• 💡 The video is about the top 10 new games coming out in May 2023.
  • 💡 Lord of the Rings Gollum is the 10th game on the list, and it follows Gollum before the events of the Lord of the Rings, using next-gen tech and haptic feedback.
  • 💡 The System Shock remake is at number 9, a highly ambitious game for when it first came out, which was a critical darling but never as popular as Doom. The control scheme was criticized in the original game, but the remake promises to improve it and modernize the visuals and gameplay.
  • 💡 Amnesia: The Bunker, at number 8, is set in a World War One bunker, and you play as a French soldier alone in the bunker with only one bullet left in his revolver. It takes a lot of cues from recent Resident Evil games and Alien Isolation, where you have to use your tools and weapons to survive the terrifying creatures.
  • 🎮 Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a highly anticipated game with new mechanics such as crafting and creating vehicles, as well as sky islands and expanded ground to cover. It releases exclusively on the Nintendo Switch on May 12th.
  • 🎮 The new crafting mechanic in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is said to counteract weapon degradation features in the game.
  • 🎮 The return of Ganon and the possibility of the return of Demise has fans excited for possible answers to questions in the Legend of Zelda series.
  • 🎮 Hogwarts Legacy is releasing on previous generation consoles, specifically PS4 and Xbox One.
Amnesia and system shock for me.

Last edited:

mdkirby

TLOTR - Might give it a shot, but not at RRP
System shock - 100%
Miamasa - If it gets 7.5-8s/10 I'll buy it, looks interesting and small scrappy studio, worth supporting
Redfall - I love arcane, but I expect this will make me sad. But it's free, so I'll give it a go.

noomi

Zelda & System Shock fo' sho'

Boltgun looks cool, but will likely hold out on that one....for now.

Gollum.... eh.... don't trust it yet.

Needlecrash

I MIGHT bite on Zelda. One thing I HATED in BOTW was the weapon degradation. Now that you can use "Fuse" to make new weapons, I definitely feel interested in getting it.

Hot5pur

Curious to see how Redfall turns out, looks promising and it has co-op.
The only other one is Zelda but if it's anything like the first one I'll probably pass. Also switch hardware....

Toots

Gold Member
The return of Ganon and the possibility of the return of Demise has fans excited for possible answers to questions in the Legend of Zelda series
I didn't know there could be questions about LOZ lore, let alone answers :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I bet those are the same guys who desperately want to know what colour Ahab's undies were when he got pulled in the deep by the Whale.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'll be playing the shit out of Jedi Survivor and hopping onto Redfall with friends at least a few times.

Oh and I'll definitely try Ravenlok.

Gonna give that Redfall a shot. It's supposed to play like Borderlands where you pick a character with one special ability.
Am I right? Or have I failed to understand the marketing?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
3max.jpg

Hopefully I can finish XC3 Future Redeemed before this game drops in.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I really really hope that System Shock won't get yet another delay.

Miasma Chronicles is also a must-buy from me, I loved Mutant Year Zero.

Last edited:
I have Zelda pre-ordered but will probably pick up Boltgun because it looks like a good stress release. Plenty for me to be getting on with. Diablo IV is just around the corner too!

drotahorror

Lego 2K Drive looks to be best Lego game I’ve ever seen. Really excited for that one.

Tape to Tape an old school rogue like hockey game? Looks fun.

Doom85

Basically nothing for me, I’ll wait for Outlast to hit consoles, and I’ve yet to play the prior Amnesia games. June will be the heavy hitter for me with FF XVI, Diablo 4, and Street Fighter 6.

StereoVsn

I will give System Shock a shot, but not at release. Will give it a few months to patch up, and I have a significant backlog anyways.

Zelda I will get later just to rip on my OG Switch and play through emulation. I have little patience for Switch game performance now days.

Ultra Donny

I'm super hyped to explore the environments and ambience of Redfall, the only thing I'm worried about is the loot oriented game play loop. I hate loot in games.

Mozzarella

0:18 The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
I won't play this, im not in the mood for a LOTR game.

1:55 System Shock
I love System Shock 2, never played System Shock 1, so i might check this out in case it turns out to be good, but i highly doubt it, based on what i saw it turned me off, the art style and the game design looks old and outdated already and it has not been released yet, i frankly dont think such huge IP should be handled by amateur teams. Instead of dicking around doing garbage Arkane should have had their spin on this IP.

4:25 Amnesia: The Bunker
I love Frictional games, SOMA and Amnesia TDD were some of my favorite horror games of all time, they have talent, or maybe they used to, cause their new games suck, i dont know if this one will be good but i will most likely give it a try.

6:07 After Us
What's that? Dont care

7:25 Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun
8:43 Miasma Chronicles
9:46 Age of Wonders 4
10:49 The Outlast Trials

Dont care about any of those, unless i hear good things im not trying them.

12:07 Redfall
When i first heard about this i was excited but after i saw the footage and what its about i immediately put a big X on it, its such a wasted potential for Arkane to do these things, the only thing im excited about here is watching where this trainwreck will end up crashing.

13:05 The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Sure, probably day 1, or maybe week 1, we'll see.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The year has already been massive for gaming, with releases like Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space Remake, and more making their mark. However, May is looking to be the biggest yet, thanks to first-party console exclusives, long-awaited sequels and yes, another remake. It even has what may be the most anticipated game of the last few years.

There's much more to indulge in, so don't worry. Let's look at the 11 big games launching next month.

0:34 Redfall
1:40 Hogwarts Legacy
2:45 Zelda , Tears of the Kingdom
4:06 Amnesia
5:11 Lotr Gollum
6:07 System Shock Remake
7:01 The Outlast Trials
7:57 Lego Drive
8:54 Wrestle Quest
9:44 After Us
10:29 Miasma Chronicles

Last edited: