• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 Franchises That Deserve Another Chance

Bragr

Banned
Some franchises lay dormant for too long. These are the games that seemingly have nothing in the works, no plans, no hope. But some franchises are too good to lay rotting under the sun and deserve another chance, and these are the ones I hope to see in the coming generation.

Franchises that are confirmed to have games in development but are not yet officially announced (that's why they aren't on the list)
- Bioshock
- Brothers in Arms
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Mass Effect
- Ninja Gaiden (not yet announced, but too many solid rumors for too long to not be in development)
- Pikmin
- Silent Hill (not yet announced, but too many solid rumors for too long to not be in development)
- Splinter Cell
- TimeSplitters

Honorable Mentions
- 1080 Snowboarding
- ActRaiser
- Advance Wars
- Burnout
- Demon Crest/ Gargoyle's Crest
- Fight Night
- Goemon Mystical Ninja
- Golden Sun
- Gradius
- Jak and Dexter
- Legacy of Kain
- Mother
- Motorstorm
- Ogre Tactics
- Okami
- Perfect Dark
- Populous
- Resistance
- The Godfather
- Thief
- Turok
- Turrican
- Unreal Tournament
- Viewtiful Joe
- Virtua Fighter
- Viva Pinata

20. Prototype - Last seen in 2012.
The evil twin to the Infamous franchise, and the spiritual successor to the excellent Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Prototype 2 sold so bad that the developer was scaled down and the whole franchise apparently put on ice. With the current superhero craze, it might be time to reawaken this franchise.

19. Soldier of Fortune - Last seen in 2008.
A brutal shooter that got a lot of buzz with its first game, but eventually, the third game destroyed the franchise, and an utter disaster of a Korean MMO-ish spin-off buried it. A modern version feels like it got a lot of potentials.

18. Wave Race - Last seen in 2001.
Featuring the best water effects of its generation and being one of the most unique racers in gaming, the N64 version left an impression on many and was widely loved. The Gamecube follow up was alright. Then we never heard so much as a whisper from Wave Race. Likely, it's deemed too much of a niche game to invest in.

17. Prince of Persia - Last seen in 2010.
There was a mobile game in 2018. But that doesn't count. After the excellent trilogy ended in 2005, Ubisoft tried a few different approaches, the more open-ended cartoon looking approach of the 2008 game "Prince of Persia", and The Forgotten Sands in 2010. Both lagged a bit in sales and Assassin Creed seems to have taken priority from thereon.

16. Rise of Nations - Last seen in 2006.
Considered by many to be the greatest Age of Empires style game around (better than age of empires itself), Rise of Nations left a mark on any RTS fan during the early 2000s. After completing the spin-off Rise of Legends the developers went under after their new massive project "Kingdoms of Amalur" failed. However, recently the studio has been brought back to life, and whispers of a potential new Rise of Nations are starting to be mentioned in the dark corners of the internet once again. Even though they seem to be focused on their new game Arcane Showdown.

15. F-Zero - Last seen in 2004.
The recent tweet and rumors turned out to be fake, there is apparently no new F-Zero coming. One of the best racing franchises around doesn't seem to sell enough for Nintendo to warrant a new game. To the anger and frustration of fans everywhere.

14. Twisted Metal - Last seen in 2012.
While the 2012 entry was fine, it was really the Twisted Metals on the original Playstation and Playstation 2 that made a dent. It seems to be a hard game to nail, and the latest iteration didn't hit the sweet spot it needed to get the critical and commercial success it had to to keep the series alive.

13. Castlevania - Last seen in 2014.
I won't even mention the iOS game. Konami has struggled to know what to do with Castlevania in recent years. They made the Lords of Shadow games, but they never reached the sales needed to justify the budget. The 2D Castlevanias also deserves so much better considering how popular 2D action-adventure games are these days. There are some rumors that a new Castlevania reboot that is inspired by Bloodborne is under development, but this is not confirmed yet.

12. Conker - Last seen in 2001.
Bad Fur Day, likely the funniest game ever made gained critical acclaim but failed performance-wise as it came out when the Nintendo 64's life was over, and the GBA game never took off. No one seemed to know how to make another Conker game, and the classic Rare team was taken apart once Microsoft bought them, leaving Conker as a franchise that vanished before it got off the ground.

11. SSX - Last seen in 2012.
While there are some rumors of an SSX: Tricky remaster, the crime of SSX is how they abandoned SSX 3's open-world structure. SSX 3 was perhaps too ambitious of its time, for the next 2 entries went back to a more classic formula, and for some reason, they never went back to this franchise after 2012's SSX. I assume the time of snowboarding and skater games was deemed over by most companies.

10. Final Fantasy Tactics - Last seen in 2007.
I'll look away from the mobile efforts. Tactics was always a fan favorite strategy gem but dwarfed by it's bigger RPG brother, still, it's a bit puzzling that we haven't seen another tactics game considering they sold okay and was very well received.

9. F.E.A.R. - Last seen in 2011.
While F.E.A.R. 1 is considered innovative and the sequel a great continuation, the third installment lagged behind both commercially and critically and has put the whole franchise on hold. But any who played the first 2 knows the massive potential lurking in the F.E.A.R. franchise.

8. Dino Crisis - Last seen in 2003.
Unfortunately, Dino Crisis 4 was canceled a few years ago. Still, it's hard to ignore what a new Dino Crisis could be. With awesome looking dinosaurs and better modern controls, it could be something great. Dino Crisis 3 crashed and burned the entire franchise and it still hasn't recovered.

7. No One Lives Forever (nolf) - Last seen in 2002.
One of the coolest and most interesting shooters out there, the James Bond-like spy shooter was highly praised but has been dragged into a hellhole of legal issues, to the point where no one seems to know who owns what. With it's awesome 1960's premise and light-hearted nature, it feels like a game that should have been a long-lasting popular series.

6. Dead Space - Last seen in 2013.
Dead Space feels like it would only need small adjustments to function as a current-gen game, as the gameplay is not very dated. Dead Space came out in 2008 and Dead Space 2 followed pace 3 years later until Dead Space 3 apparently killed the entire franchise in 2013 and the developers, Visceral Games, were closed shortly after. Dead Space 1 wasn't a massive seller, and even though Dead Space 2 sold over 4 million copies, EA deemed it a sales disappointment. Dead Space 3 however, sold so bad that EA banished the entire series into the nether, and for a whole generation we have seen nothing of the once great horror shooter.

5. Chrono Trigger/Cross - Last seen in 1999.
Developed by the "dream team", many consider Chrono Trigger to be the premier RPG in existence, but ultimately it's a series that didn't sell enough compared to Final Fantasy and was left behind. Chrono Break (the third game) was halted and it seems this series will never again see the light of day.

4. Dungeon Keeper - Last seen in 2000.
It's been 23 years since the original Dungeon Keeper. Bullfrogs masterpiece is not that often brought up these days, but anyone who was into strategy games in the late 90s will remember the creative Dungeon Keeper. Dungeon Keeper 3 was one of the most disappointing game cancelations in history, and while some games like "Dungeons" and "War for the Overworld" have tried to copy the game, it's not even close to what once was.

3. WarCraft RTS - Last seen in 2002.
Blizzard around the 2000s was the most impressive PC developer in history, in 5 years, they released WarCraft 2, Diablo, StarCraft, Diablo 2 and WarCraft 3. Two years after that they released World of WarCraft. WarCraft defined them, but World of WarCraft and Diablo III sold so well that WarCraft 4 was pushed back further and further, and now, with Diablo 4 on the horizon, it seems it's been pushed back even further. WarCraft 3 came out 18 years ago, it's a crime against humanity than the fourth is not out yet.

2. Banjo-Kazooie - Last seen in 2008.
The only 3D platformer that can stand up to Mario, has for some ridicules reason only seen a spin-off where you design vehicles and 2 GBA games. How Banjo-Kazooie 3 is still not developed is hard to fathom..

1. Black & White - Last seen in 2005.
Lionhead's excellent god game is unique, creative, funny, and feels like it's bursting with potential. There have been several kickstarters trying to make a third game out of sheer desperation (all of them looking bad to be generous). You can't simply put a random developer on it either, it's a difficult game to make. Like Perfect Dark suited Rare's unique skills in the late 90s, Black & White suited Lionhead's unique qualities. It seems that it's a series that's gone forever, as no publisher will believe Black & White 3 could sell enough to warrant a significant budget.

Matt_Fox

11. SSX - Last seen in 2012.
While there are some rumors of an SSX: Tricky remaster, the crime of SSX is how they abandoned SSX 3's open-world structure. SSX 3 was perhaps too ambitious of its time, for the next 2 entries went back to a more classic formula, and for some reason, they never went back to this franchise after 2012's SSX. I assume the time of snowboarding and skater games was deemed over by most companies.

Not everything needs to be open world. SSX and SSX Tricky were brilliant as focused arcade racers. Having to ski to the start gates across open world in SSX 3 killed the 'play and pass' purity of the game when sitting round the screen with a bunch of friends.

A high score table where you put your initials in is all you need for bragging rights!

carlosrox

Banned
Dead Space (3 was awesome too, haters fuck off)

Goemon

F-Zero

Castlevania

Ninja Gaiden

Turok

Perfect Dark

Pilot Wings

Wave Race

Wipeout

Jumping Flash

Silent Hill

Parasite Eve

Vandal Hearts

Soldier of Fortune

Medal Of Honor

Final Fantasy that isn't all Nomura/futurisitic

Normally I'd include Metroid cuz Metroid is awesome but we had Samus Returns plus others are in development.

Edit: Condemned !!

Last edited:

dorkimoe

The fact Microsoft hasn't capitalized on microtransactions with a game like Viva Pinata blows my mind. Put that on Xbox and iPad and have MTX and you will just be a cash cow. Game was amazing, and is literally made for microtranscations.

Give me another

Too Human
Warhawk

Happy to see Brothers in Arms up there too

ZZZZ

If you like Castlevania i recommend Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, it's amazing. I hate platforms and i loved that game.

This list is missing Suikoden.
The creators are working on a new game, the KS page is this one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
10. Final Fantasy Tactics - Last seen in 2007.
I'll look away from the mobile efforts. Tactics was always a fan favorite strategy gem but dwarfed by it's bigger RPG brother, still, it's a bit puzzling that we haven't seen another tactics game considering they sold okay and was very well received.
Unfortunately, their mobile efforts are probably bringing in WAY more cash than a standalone game ever would. War of the Visions (their latest free to play mobile Final Fantasy Tactics game) is currently sitting in the top 150 grossing games on the Play Store. That's impressive, but not even as impressive as their free Final Fantasy XV Clash of Clans game that's in the top 50.

It's been a few years now, but I believe the last I heard on the sell through on Final Fantasy Tactics was around 3 million, which includes the original PS1 release. Other Tactics spin offs have sold pretty poorly in comparison.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see a new, full Final Fantasy Tactics game but it seems incredibly unlikely considering it's already made the jump to the F2P model and is doing really well there.

Belmonte

This list lacks God Hand. Shinji Mikami's brawler masterpiece

What hurts about not having a sequel is that God Hand is a very unique game and there is only one of it. I mean, I'm always ready for a new Castlevania but there are many already, in different styles and lots of clones.

Castef

Banned
20?

Ok, I'll bite. Only series with at least a pair of entries.

- TimeSplitters
- Grandia
- Paradroid
- The Suffering
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Maniac Mansion
- MechAssault
- Crimson Skies
- Otogi
- DarkStalkers
- Raystorm/Layer Section
- Summoner
- Okami
- Alone in the Dark
- Ninja Gaiden
- Crimson Sea
- Pilotwings
- Final Fight
- Ghosts'n Goblins
- Midwinter

GrayFoxPL

BLOODY ROAR

lHOcN29.jpg

4EZCOOLDART

Shining Force - Simple and arcadey tactics RPG. I love Final Fantasy Tactics (and Fell Seal) and Disgaea but Shining Force was somehow simple and perfect. The great characters and soundtrack helped.

Star Fox - Just copy Star Fox 64. It blows my mind that Nintendo can kill it with basically every other franchise but they can't duplicate the success of Star Fox.

Suikoden - I'd love for Konomi to make Suikoden 6 but in the meantime support the spiritual successor Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes when Kickstarter is back online.

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
Trying not to repeat a lot of great suggestions.

-NBA Jam
-Actraiser
-Mike Tyson Punch Out
-Fight Night
-Def Jam Fight for NY
-WCW vs NWO wrestling
-NFL Blitz
-Silent Scope
-Cruise n World/USA
-TMNT Arcade Remake
-Resistance
-Crimson Skies
-Panzer Dragoon
-Nights

Bragr

Banned
Stop. You don't want this. Not with 2020 Blizzard. You really don't want this. Please don't wish this on us.
Is it better than no Warcraft at all? Although considering Reforged, maybe it should stay dead.

luigidavid5

Neo Member
It's really sad that Chrono Trigger and its sequels never ended up selling much because it seems that everyone who has played those games absolutely love them. For me personally, Chrono Trigger is my absolute favorite game of all time and I think it deserves more attention.

MrS

Banned
Black
Thrill Kill
Oni
Manhunt
Destruction Derby
Adidas Power Soccer
Tenchu
Project Gotham
Condemned
Fear Effect

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Good list, though, personally, Banjo is my number 1 and F-Zero my number 3. Conker is a good pick, but I feel the developers would run into trouble with a bunch of people who require humour to be polite. I don't really want to read the Resetera threads a Conker 2 would spawn.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is it better than no Warcraft at all? Although considering Reforged, maybe it should stay dead.

Exactly. Let Warcraft be, or at least just let the fans do it. As much as I love Classic, it does seem like fans did better jobs of recreating that game, it's just a shame that thanks to Blizz you never know when those servers will just collapse.

NahaNago

I guess I'd go

• rhapsody ( I just really liked that ps1 game and I'd like a modernish sequel)
  • mega man legends ( I wasn't a fan of the leaked mml3 stuff but I would still love another game. It was just fun, jolly, and relaxing to play)
  • jade cocoon ( I honestly barely remember the game but for some odd reason I keep wanting a sequel)
That is pretty much it for me. I'd add shadow hearts but I think that IP is gone for good. Wild Arms would be good but Sony doesn't do jrpgs anymore.

carlosrox

Banned
I'm ashamed I didn't post Condemned before. Both games were masterpieces.

Manhunt was such a great, dark idea but I dunno if they can get away with something like that now. 2 was great. Killing those guys in that torture sex dungeon place was brilliantly dark.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

• Skies of Arcadia - Last seen in 2003
    One of the best RPG on the dreamcast, home of the best RPGs at the time

• Power Stone - Last seen in 2000
    We've seen a revival of the couch coop game with overcooked, i hope this franchise get some love as it was the predecessor to all that chaos.

• Outrun - Last seen in 2006
    Coast 2 Coast is still the best arcade racer ever made (fight me)

• Virtua Tennis - Last seen in 2011
    Tennis game quality have fallen of a cliff ever since Virtua Tennis has been abandoned.
    This need to be rectified

• Wario Land - Last seen in 2008
    So many random mario game and they can't even be bothered to make a Wario one even if it's one of their best platform adventure franchise

• Eternal Darkness - Last seen in 2002
    Top 3 best horor game ever made yet we don't have a sequel, What's up with that ?

• Jade Empire - Last seen in 2005
    Back when BioWare knew how to make video games, it seems so long ago.
    Great universe and full of potential

• Driver - Last seen in 2011
    The last one was great and Ubisoft totally abandon the franchise, it was and remain a unique take on the racing genre.

• Syphon Filter - Last seen in 2007
    Always in the shadow of Metal gear, Syphon filter is still a great franchise in its own right.
    I wished Sony would treat it better -.-

• Caesar - Last seen in 2006
    One of the best city building franchise that has been sitting there on the shelves collecting dust. Ain't that a shame.

• God Hand - Last seen in 2006
    Very unique combat system that hasn't been matched since.

• Socom - Last seen in 2011
    Where are my serious shooter at. Everything get dumb down

• Ghosts 'n Goblins - Last seen in 2006
    Run and gun but with swords. Still one of the greats.

Last edited:
da fuq is this bullshit?

Prototype is the only one i agree on. Fucking kids these days

Deathrow
Brute force
Headhunter
Urban Chaos
Desert strike
Breakdown
Condemned
Advent
The Order 1886
Rush 2049
Syndicate/Syndicate wars
Powerstone
JSR
Legacy of Kain
Soul Reaver

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Alundra.

The sequel is a crime against humanity and killed the franchise in one fell swoop. It deserves a second chance for revival with a proper follow up that pays homage to the original but also takes the necessary steps going forward.

The Alien

Banned
If Microsoft does actually buy WB Games, one of the first things I'd want to see is a FEAR reboot. The first 2 games were great fun. There arent enough horror FPS.

Dead Space...I think now, more than ever, it could happen- thanks to the single player success of Jedi Fallen Order.

Twisted Metal next gen? Fucking, fuck yeah.
Thatd be awesome. Twisted Metal Black was great and that was like 10 years ago.

Top Bottom