• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gun Maverick delayed into 2021 - A quiet place 2 too...

Gp1

Both movies were part of a release date shakeup from Paramount on Thursday night. “A Quiet Place Part 2,” starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, will release in theaters on April 23, 2021, instead of Sept. 6, 2020. “Top Gun: Maverick,” a sequel to Tom Cruise’s 1986 classic, will take flight on July 2, 2021, nearly six months after its original date of Dec. 23, 2020.

Great 2020... Thanks for another fuck up. Delayed for almost a year by now.

Thaedolus

Just give me a fuckin voucher for my wife and her sister to go to a B&B for a weekend with the little ones, a download code and then my brothers in law and nephews and I will figure out the rest on watching it at home goddammit. I got lots of watts. Let me turn it them up and make the neighbors think the apocalypse is happening

Gp1

Why not sell on streaming ? Could be big hits. Sell on Google play, Xbox , Amazon Prime.

First, because this isn't some small indie low budget movie. (It's close to $200m, without marketing). No way they can break even that on streaming.

Second, because this is exactly the kind of movie that got need...(the need for speed... lol) for the bigest screen and sound available.

Tesseract

Banned
First, because this isn't some small indie low budget movie. (It's close to $200m, without marketing). No way they can break even that on streaming.

Second, because this is exactly the kind of movie that got need...(the need for speed... lol) for the bigest screen and sound available.
times are changing, eventually a big budget day 0 stream release will crack 1 billion

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Those movies are something to be excited about, and the hype could only help and when you have internet people complaining about endings I would say they'll be some tweaks and edits before they release.

nush

times are changing, eventually a big budget day 0 stream release will crack 1 billion

Right, now all the studios have to do is work out how to get enough people to pay as much as a theater ticket or more for the "Convenience" of streaming that movie ONE time.

sinnergy

Henry Ford ones answered on a question: if you ask people what they want, they would say a faster horse .

sometimes you need to change a market .

Gp1

Henry Ford ones answered on a question: if you ask people what they want, they would say a faster horse .

sometimes you need to change a market .

Yeah, but some times we just need a 70mm IMAX and 50.1 dolby atmos...

I'm a simple man...

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What is the biggest take from a streaming release so far though? $150 million domestic for trolls 2? No-one wants to be the first to put a potential $500 million plus movie direct to VOD.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't tell if the first major movie release will get a ton of people to go to a theater again or if most people have fully given up on the idea of going to theaters anyway. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Gp1

Fuck off!

Next time don't show jack shit behind closed doors at Cinemacon and give me the entire damn movie in November!

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Necro bump.... Delayed Again?!....

Now it will fly in May 2022.

I'm not surprised. Black Widow has been the shot heard around the world in terms of box office realities. Studios are afraid to put anything major into theaters right now because they don't wanna risk a huge loss.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

A lot more will still get delayed I think. Most things this year. Probably a lot for early next year. Mainly talking the big budget tent poles. Can easily see Batman still getting bumped from March, for instance.

Top Bottom