• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total sales for Metal Gear games have reached 58 million

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Konami has updated the total worldwide sales for the Metal Gear franchise, and the series has now sold 58.0 million copies in its lifetime, as of the end of December 2021. This figure is up 900,000 from the previous number, as of March 2021.

Recently, Konami removed Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 from digital storefronts due to expiring licenses. According to the publisher this is a temporary measure until the issue is resolved, but as of now there has been no update on the matter (the games were removed in November of last year).

kingfey

Banned
metal gear solid GIF

Mgs2 is what got me in to this game. I would like a remake of the old games, to experience those joy again.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I can't even say fuck Konami... I mean if they have other more profitable branches why would you invest in expensive and risky AAA development.
But they could at least port their old games to PC for preservation purpose and would make quote a buck by doing so.

Dr Bass

I’m surprised the total is that low actually. All of the metal gear games through their entire history? Mario kart 8 and animal crossing on switch are more than 70 million combined. Two games on one console. Yeah they are massive but metal gear has been a big thing for almost 25 years across both PS and Xbox.

This is why no one is going to buy Konami imo. Their IP just isn’t as big a deal as you might think in the grand scheme of things, even though I love almost all of it.

I’m honestly shocked at that number.

I’m surprised the total is that low actually. All of the metal gear games through their entire history? Mario kart 8 and animal crossing on switch are more than 70 million combined. Two games on one console. Yeah they are massive but metal gear has been a big thing for almost 25 years across both PS and Xbox.

This is why no one is going to buy Konami imo. Their IP just isn’t as big a deal as you might think in the grand scheme of things, even though I love almost all of it.

Maybe the number would be higher if Konami made something other than Survive in the past 5 years.

SSfox

Tekken and MGS my favorite franchises.

Bought PS2 and chose it over the other consoles for MGS2 and Tekken 4.

PS3 for mgs4, ps4 for mgsV.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The majority of the population are dumb people. Intelligent people are the minority.

solid snake GIF

Tschumi

Probably some sports games
Turns out it's mario, somewhere in the 700 millions... the best ranked sports series is fifa at 7th..

Mario
Tetris
CoD
Super Mario
Pokemon
Grand Theft Auto
Fifa
Minecraft
Wii
Lego
The Sims
Mario Kart
Final Fantasy
Assassin's Creed
Need For Speed
Sonic
Madden
Zelda
Resident Evil
Star Wars

Fahdis

The majority of the population are dumb people. Intelligent people are the minority.

solid snake GIF

Average Person Rendition during PS1 Era as a Millenial:
"Mechs", "Psychic Soldiers", "Cleavaged Snipers", "Otaku Scientist", "A Super Spy in a Box?", "Ass Tight Latex", "A Hind D?", "A Clone Twin", "Invisible Cyborgs", "Nano Machines"... I don't even have a gun to start with? I don't even understand what they say half the time? Lol, what a stupid game.

*Goes back to playing Ape Escape* Damn... now that's action!

Me: "FUCCCCCKKKKKKK.... THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER PLAYED! I'M PLAYING A MOVIE! HOW WILL THEY EVER MAKE THE GRAPHICS BETTER THAN THIS?" AAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

kovskaya

Neo Member
Still surprised that MGS4 has no remake. Only option to play it is on PS3.
I’ve still not played it!
Emulation ?
OT: I think most sales came from Rising and TPP. Too bad that Konami see future of these games in NFT as preservation method.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh dear we have the Ninty guys comparing stuff to their bundle games 🙄

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Turns out it's mario, somewhere in the 700 millions... the best ranked sports series is fifa at 7th..

Mario
Tetris
CoD
Super Mario
Pokemon
Grand Theft Auto
Fifa
Minecraft
Wii
Lego
The Sims
Mario Kart
Final Fantasy
Assassin's Creed
Need For Speed
Sonic
Madden
Zelda
Resident Evil
Star Wars
That only works when you lump all the Mario together across platforms. Have to keep console and portable sales separate.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 and MGSV are likely at least 10 million each. MGS4 sales, while also strong, would be extremely front loaded due to lack of current availability.

This is why I tell people that IP is somewhat overrated, especially compared to talent.

Say you bought Konami, it's not like you get the revenue for the 58 million.

The series is dead for the most part. Sure you could reboot/remake it like Capcom has with Resident Evil, but eventually you're going to have to do something with it and that requires the talent behind it. And even the original talent behind the games were dragging the franchise downhill (IMO).

You have an original IP like Ghost of Tsushima which is just as successful as any Metal Gear game especially since the series has gone multiplatform.

The only thing I think you could do is reboot the franchise and take out some of the more ridiculous aspects of it and maybe reintegrate snake in MGS2.

VulcanRaven

They really should re-release the HD Collection on the current consoles. The graphics don't need any updating.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

solid snake GIF
Come on broski no need to go there. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

58 million is still a big number but it does show the appeal of Metal Gear is a little more selective. Especially when you figure a lot of the people are gonna be like me, having purchased most or all of the titles. Heck I even bought The Twin Snakes. :messenger_expressionless:

Kuranghi

metal gear solid GIF

Mgs2 is what got me in to this game. I would like a remake of the old games, to experience those joy again.

You wrote MGS2, but then said the old games. Do you mean a remake of Metal Gear 2 or Metal Gear Solid 2?

Either is cool for me since I haven't played MG1/2 and I'd lose a limb for an MGS 2 remake.

kingfey

Banned
You wrote MGS2, but then said the old games. Do you mean a remake of Metal Gear 2 or Metal Gear Solid 2?

Either is cool for me since I haven't played MG1/2 and I'd lose a limb for an MGS 2 remake.
I played the OG xbox version, since I wasnt lucky to get a ps2. I would like to experience it again.

Since you reminded me, I would have to get ps2 very soon. I havent experienced that console in my life.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Come on broski no need to go there. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

58 million is still a big number but it does show the appeal of Metal Gear is a little more selective. Especially when you figure a lot of the people are gonna be like me, having purchased most or all of the titles. Heck I even bought The Twin Snakes. :messenger_expressionless:

It's one of my most beloved franchises ever. It feels so painful not to see a sequel on the new gen. Grew up with this masterpeice since 1998.

Aging Metal Gear GIF by Yukster

Mario
Tetris
CoD
Super Mario
Pokemon
Grand Theft Auto
Fifa
Minecraft
Wii
Lego
The Sims
Mario Kart
Final Fantasy
Assassin's Creed
Need For Speed
Sonic
Madden
Zelda
Resident Evil
Star Wars
I'd say tomb raider is there somewhere as well.

Dr Bass

It's one of my most beloved franchises ever. It feels so painful not to see a sequel on the new gen. Grew up with this masterpeice since 1998.

Aging Metal Gear GIF by Yukster
Same here! I remember getting MGS and Xenogears together right when they released, then Ocarina of Time a month later. Man what an era.

MGS felt like one of those turning points in gaming.

I feel you on things feeling "painful" ... I've actually learned to kinda let that stuff go and just enjoy what we got. I guess that's what getting older does to you, just like Solid Snake here. :messenger_tongue:

Azurro

Banned

MGS is a very big title, but it's not in the category of Mario Kart, it's silly to compare them. Konami wouldn't have stopped making MGS games if they sold like GTA.

SJRB

Gold Member
The most amazing videogame series ever made. I could write an essay about each and every one of them.

MGS2 is the pinnacle of videogames as a medium, nothing has ever even come close sans maybe Bloodborne. The narrative, the pacing, the gameplay, the intricate details, the mindblowing twists and turns.

Incredible achievement.

Killer8

People still in "Fuck Konami" cope mode I see.

Kojima spent 4 years and over $80 million developing MGSV and still released it unfinished. He was VP of the company from 2011 until he quit in 2015. Take a look at what happened after Konami cut that dead weight:

Konami-Profit-2019-600x424.png

Screen-Shot-2022-02-04-at-11.24.12-AM-1024x555.png

Konami are now posting record years despite releasing 'no games'. Really gets the noggin joggin. 🤔

Azurro

Banned
People still in "Fuck Konami" cope mode I see.

Kojima spent 4 years and over $80 million developing MGSV and still released it unfinished. He was VP of the company from 2011 until he quit in 2015. Take a look at what happened after Konami cut that dead weight:

Konami-Profit-2019-600x424.png

Screen-Shot-2022-02-04-at-11.24.12-AM-1024x555.png

Konami are now posting record years despite releasing 'no games'. Really gets the noggin joggin. 🤔

They didn't cut the fat though, they simply pursued a different market. Which I don't think they made a bad decision at all by investing into mobile games, the numbers support that. From an emotional point of view, seeing Silent Hill, MGS and Castlevania vanish into the ether is also incredibly sad and financially they could have also contributed in a very meaningful way to their yearly profits, there was no need to lobotomise their console dev resources.

Top Bottom