• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: TROY |OT| Free for all (24h, Epic Games Store)

HxQufCX.jpg

DISCOVER THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MYTH

A new Total War Saga game: TROY is the first entry in the award-winning series to focus on the legendary 20-year conflict between the kingdoms of Troy and Mycenaean Greece, now known as the Trojan War, set against the striking backdrop of the Bronze Age Mediterranean.
Combining Total War’s unique blend of grand, turn-based empire management and spectacular real-time battles, TROY explores this epic conflict from both the Greek and Trojan perspectives – peeling back the layers of myth and legend to reveal the realities that may have inspired them.
Play as one of eight famed Heroes, and fight to conquer or protect the legendary kingdom of Troy.

TG4l4uE.jpg

A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY FAQ
A Total War Saga: TROY will reconstruct one of the greatest stories ever told. Inspired by Homer’s Iliad, TROY will let you forge a heroic legacy in the late Bronze Age, the furthest back in time the Total War franchise has ever travelled.

Homer’s Iliad is rich with myth, legends, gods and monsters. TROY casts these stories through a historical lens to consider what might have really happened but ultimately lets you decide which heroes will fall in battle and which will be immortalised in legend.

In TROY, the fate of Aegean civilisation will be in your hands – each choice you make will shape the lands from the mythical heights of Mount Olympus to the arid deserts of Lemnos. Experience history as it might have happened or shape the legend for yourself in this unique chapter of Total War.

The battlefields will tremble under the feet of renowned warriors like Achilles and Hector but it will take more than brute force alone to lay claim to the legendary city of Troy. You will need to deftly manage a barter economy, conduct diplomacy among friends and foes, and curry the very favour of the Gods themselves before etching your name in the annals of history.

RELEASE AND PURCHASE
WHEN WILL A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY BE RELEASED?
A Total War Saga: TROY will be released on the Epic Games Store on the 13th of August 2020 – add it to your wishlist here. You can also sign up to Total War Access and opt in to receive our newsletter to save the date.

TROY will also be released on Steam in Summer 2021.

WILL A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY BE AVAILABLE FROM OTHER ONLINE RETAILERS?
A Total War Saga: TROY will available via the Epic Games Store from the 13th of August 2020 and later on Steam in summer 2021.

Currently we are only planning on releasing TROY on these platforms.

IS A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY REALLY FREE?
Yes, but only if you claim it in the first 24 hours after release on the 13th of August 2020!

HOW DO I CLAIM MY FREE COPY OF A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY?
Visit the Epic Games Store at release and pick up your copy here.

IF I OWN A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY ON EPIC, WILL I NEED TO REBUY IT IN ORDER TO PLAY IT ON STEAM?
If you specifically want to own and play A Total War Saga: TROY on Steam, you will need to buy it on the corresponding platform, so make sure you grab it for free on the Epic Games Store while you can!

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO RELEASE A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE?
For a detailed breakdown on the details of Epic exclusivity, check out our blog.

WILL ANY OTHER RELEASES BE EPIC GAMES STORE EXCLUSIVES?
We currently have no plans for any future games to be Epic exclusives. We do want to be more platform agnostic moving forward (this decision is part of that), and we would like future games to be available on the Epic Games Store, but that’s in addition to being available on other platforms such as Steam.

WILL CROSS-PLATFORM PLAY BE SUPPORTED?
We’re currently planning to implement cross-platform support in time for TROY’s launch on Steam.

WILL DENUVO OR SIMILAR DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (DRM) SOFTWARE BE IMPLEMENTED VIA THE EPIC GAMES STORE?
Yes, we are planning on using Denuvo for DRM purposes.

WILL MODDING BE SUPPORTED ON EPIC?
TROY, like any other modern Total War game, utilises pack files within its data directory. As such it can be modded just like other games in the franchise, such as Total War: WARHAMMER.

However, upon release it will not have support for the hosting and distribution of mods and associated tools. This is very similar to our current approach on Steam, where official mod support lands one month after launch.

Please rest assured that our aspiration is to ensure Troy has parity with other modern Total War games with regards to mod support, and we are working on delivering this as soon as possible. We are actively working with Epic in order to support this feature moving forwards.

ABOUT THE GAME
WHAT IS A TOTAL WAR SAGA TITLE?
Total War Saga titles take the grand strategy and real-time battles of a core Total War game and channel them into an intense flashpoint of history, letting you experience and ultimately determine the outcome of pivotal moments in history when the future of entire nations hung in the balance.

Having all the depth, features, and mechanics of a major era Total War game, Total War Saga titles offer a comparable number of factions, heroes, and settlements to their core counterparts as well as hundreds of hours of gameplay potential.

Total War Saga titles are our chance to think differently in our designs, often leading to new ideas, mechanics, and perspectives that go on to influence future era titles.

For more information on different types of Total War title, check out the relevant section of our FAQ.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TROY?
TROY is a totally new period for Total War and is the furthest back we’ve ever gone in history. Unlike our major era Total War Games, our Total War Saga titles tend to focus on key flashpoints in history, often within a singular culture, meaning the 20-year war Trojan War is the perfect fit.

This period is also one of the most distinguished and mysterious within human history due to it being rich in myth, legend, heroes and monsters, allowing us to explore a plethora of new ideas for our fans to experience.

HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT YOUR RESEARCH TO THIS PERIOD?
Given that the Trojan War period is steeped in mystery, we took a unique approach to our research methodologies, using both mythological sources such as Homer’s Iliad as well as historical data such as archaeological recordings and expert materials on the Bronze Age Collapse. This merging of source material not only gives us a more accurate representation of what the period most likely resembled, but also provided us with our core “truth behind the myth” design pillar.

WHY DID YOU DECIDE UPON THE MYTH VERSUS LEGEND APPROACH?
The events surrounding the Trojan war are steeped in legend, with mythological creatures, superhuman heroes and the intervention of Gods all descending on this cataclysmic conflict. However, little is precisely known about the real-world events that occurred during the late Bronze Age, with many of its kings, queens, and artefacts lost to the annals of history.

As a result, examining the truth behind the myth of Homer’s Iliad has become a key design pillar for A Total War Saga: TROY as it bonds these two sources together in an attempt to reveal the truth that might have inspired the legendary accounts of this era.

WILL THERE BE ANY MYTHICAL CREATURES?
Our truth behind the myth approach has allowed us to include some of mythology’s most renowned monsters as historical representations of what their true form may have been. A prime example of this is the legendary Minotaur, who instead of being a beast is a hulking man clad in stinking hides and wearing the skull of a bull.

WHAT ROLE DO THE GODS PLAY?
The Greek gods of TROY influence the game in similar ways to their Homeric counterparts. Rather than directly intervening on the battlefield, however, their influence spans their entire faction, touching on units, heroes, and provincial management.

Gaining favour with the different gods might require players to invest time or sacrifice resources, but it also provides various benefits as the game progresses. Praying to Poseidon can temporarily remove deep sea attrition, whereas following Aphrodite improves diplomatic relations and population growth. Athena provides bonuses in battle for spearmen and higher ranks for new heroes (among other things). Ultimately, at the highest level each cult unlocks a unique mythical unit or epic agent to recruit in the campaign.

Players will have the ability to worship several gods at once, but this will weigh heavily on their treasury as keeping the favour up requires constant attention and spending on grand hecatombs, building temples, and performing expensive rituals. On the other hand, having gods in the Neglected state might incur their wrath (or that of their priesthood) in the form of incidents and demoralizing ill omens.

WILL THERE BE NAVAL BATTLES?
There is little documentation of Bronze Age naval warfare – but we know how important it is to our players. As a result, we’ve used Total War: WARHAMMER II – Curse of the Vampire Coast as our main inspiration for the naval combat in TROY, which uses island battles as an alternative. Additionally, Poseidon will, of course, also play a major role in these battles.

WILL THERE BE ANY DUELLING MECHANICS LIKE IN TOTAL WAR: THREE KINGDOMS?
A Total War Saga: TROY has its own unique take on hero versus hero combat which ensures that these colossal faceoffs are spectacles worthy of the Olympian gods. Units close to two fighting heroes will always recognize their superiority and will give them room, creating a circular battle area around them that prevents other units from intervening in the duel. Some heroes also have a Divine Challenge ability, which is an active battle ability that taunts opposing characters into one-on-one combat.

WHICH FAMOUS HEROES WILL FEATURE IN A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY?
The Iliad features a multitude of history’s most iconic legendary heroes, with their feats still regularly referenced centuries after their demise. As a result, we’ve included eight of the most prominent champions from both sides of the conflict, such as the Greek champion Achilles, and the Prince of Troy Hector.

WHAT IS AMAZONS?
Amazons is a DLC for A Total War Saga: TROY that will also come out in September 2020 – what’s more you can grab Amazons entirely for FREE if you’re a Total War Access account holder.

To claim this offer, you’ll need to link your Access and Epic Games Store accounts which you can do now if you like! To link your account, follow these steps:
  1. Log in to your Total War Access account here
  2. Click on My Account in the upper navigation bar
  3. Click on the Epic Connect logo and log in with your Epic account credentials
  4. Grant permission to connect Access to your Epic account
  5. “Account Connected” will be displayed in My Account screen
  6. When Amazons DLC is made available, follow instructions from the in-game menu to claim
Once I connect my account, will the Amazons automatically appear in my account? Not quite! After you connect your accounts you will still need to collect your code from the Access dashboard and redeem the product from the Epic Store’s web page or launcher.

What if wait until September to link my account? If you’d rather wait, not to worry – you will be able to link your account at launch of the Amazons DLC and even during the promotion (exact start/end dates TBC). This can be done via Total War Access with the URL above as well as from in the game.

HOW WILL THE ECONOMY WORK IN TROY?
A Total War Saga: TROY introduces a completely new multiple resource economy which reflects the Bronze Age setting. This economic system is a Total War first and reflects the advancing pre-monetary barter economy which was galvanized due to the growing influence of trade and international relations within the region.

The five different resources that are the building blocks of your empire are food, wood, stone, bronze, and gold – all of which can be found within different regions to varying degrees of scarcity. Food and wood are used to recruit early game units and construct simple buildings, but as the campaign progresses more formidable structures will require stone, and higher tier units will require bronze. Gold is the master resource, and is vital for trade due to its universal rarity.

WHAT CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY’S VISUAL STYLE?
With stunning visuals and a romanticised art style, TROY embodies an age of legend. You’ll see this echoed throughout the campaign overview and user interface, which blends the Hellenic artistry of the Iliad with a real-world representation of the Bronze Age Mediterranean.

IS THERE A TROJAN HORSE?
The Trojan horse will have a major role to play within the TROY campaign. However, it will be portrayed in line with the theories surrounding its real-world representation rather than its equine-shaped portrayal in the Iliad. The Trojan horse mechanic will appear in the campaign at specific moments, and can provide significant bonuses to players should it be acted upon quickly enough.

WHAT ROLE WILL DIPLOMACY PLAY?
As with all Total War games, diplomacy will play a key part in A Total War Saga: TROY. TROY’s diplomacy system builds on what we’ve learned from Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, allowing you to keep your allies sweet, your enemies in their place, and change the entire course of the Trojan war should you choose to. We’ll also be introducing plenty of new diplomatic features which are unique to TROY – watch this space for more information as we release it.

For all the devs videos here it is:

Oh, right. Almost forgot all about this. Thanks for the reminder OP!

Definitely check the game out and see how it is.

Edit:

It would seem that, despite my timezone is currently in the 13th of August @ 2 pm, i'm still unable to download the game as of yet.

Oh well, will check again in the next 10 hours.

Last edited:
Oh, right. Almost forgot all about this. Thanks for the reminder OP!

Definitely check the game out and see how it is.

Edit:

It would seem that, despite my timezone is currently in the 13th of August @ 2 pm, i'm still unable to download the game as of yet.

Oh well, will check again in the next 10 hours.
It begins at 2pm BST

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s a crazy good deal. I set a calendar reminder a month ago. I got it. Rome was the very first (Vampire the Masquerade being close 2nd) digital games I bought from Direct2Drive. I am not an expert at these games, but the thought of it is intriguing to say the least.

A.Romero

Well, it seems Sweeney finally got me, lol.

I created an EGS account, it was $50 USD on Steam and it comes out next year so...

lefty1117

Gold Member
The views are above average - 70-80% range from what I'm seeing so far. It's not up to Warhammer 2 but it's certainly not Britannia. For a price of $0, it's a no brainer to grab it. I'm sure I'll have some fun with it. I still think Warhammer 2 and then 3 Kingdoms are the two best, but who knows maybe Troy will totally surprise me!

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's hard to get into more historical Total War after Total Warhammer but I already played that 500 hours. It looks like it will be fun for at least a few campaigns.

Siri

Banned
I used to love the Total War games - until The Creative Assembly released Rome 2, a game that was clearly unfinished.... but craftily polished so that the first hours with the game were acceptable (CA clearly understanding that most reviewers would not play beyond a certain time, and score the game accordingly).

I refuse to support developers who pull crap like that.

I used to love the Total War games - until The Creative Assembly released Rome 2, a game that was clearly unfinished.... but craftily polished so that the first hours with the game were acceptable (CA clearly understanding that most reviewers would not play beyond a certain time, and score the game accordingly).

I do remember Rome 2 when it was released, what annoyed me the most besides being unfinished is when you press Next turn....................... the wait made me nuts.
You have nothing to loose just download it, it's free.

Robochobo

Total War: Rome 2 was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I refuse to support CA for the shitty DLC policies, broken/buggy games (that take months to fix or never get fixed at all), and overall lack of content. Why should I spend $60 on a game only to find out 75% of the factions in the game will be sold to me even though they should be playable from the beginning? I appreciated it when Medieval II and Rome both had DLC's that actually felt like an expansion instead of simply checking a box to say I can now play as a certain faction.

Siri

Banned
You have nothing to loose just download it, it's free.

You have a point there.

I see people in this thread praising Warhammer 2 - it’s not a buggy mess?

I used to adore these games. But then the Rome fiasco happened, and like Robochobo said above, the DLC situation became intolerable. Also, I started to experience terrible map-stutter with each new release - it’s really hard to enjoy a strategy game when the map stutters like crazy whenever you move the camera.

I’m not going to lie - I do miss the series.

A.Romero

Total War: Rome 2 was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I refuse to support CA for the shitty DLC policies, broken/buggy games (that take months to fix or never get fixed at all), and overall lack of content. Why should I spend $60 on a game only to find out 75% of the factions in the game will be sold to me even though they should be playable from the beginning? I appreciated it when Medieval II and Rome both had DLC's that actually felt like an expansion instead of simply checking a box to say I can now play as a certain faction.

This is true. With Warhammer I feel they compensated with the current approach where you can carry previous factions towards newer versions.

You have a point there.

I used to adore these games. But then the Rome fiasco happened, and like Robochobo said above, the DLC situation became intolerable. Also, I started to experience terrible map-stutter with each new release - it’s really hard to enjoy a strategy game when the map stutters like crazy whenever you move the camera.

They have greatly improved in the bug deparment. Warhammer 2 (and 1 for that matter) seems to be pretty good in that regard or at least I haven't come across any game breaking fix.

Their games are pretty good and as sonomamashine sonomamashine said it's free. If you don't like it you can uninstall and carry on.

I'm eating crow for this game because I really don't like Sweeney's approach to their store but this game interests me too much to pass up.

Be warned, it has Denuvo DRM.

Patrick S.

Banned
I remember Shogun: Total War was my first PS2 game, was super hyped for it back then but didn't like it very much. Haven't tried a Total War game ever since, but man, at that price I'll sure give it a try :) How the fuck can they afford giving away a full price game, day one?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I hope it pays off for the devs.
I think it will. Giving away the game for free for 24 hours (on a random Thursday) is actually somewhat smart. First of all, you get a lot more people talking about your game and promoting it for you by mentioning the giveaway (even in this very thread) as well as people streaming on Twitch and such. 24 hours is a pretty short amount of time and most people will miss the promo as this is happening in the middle of the week. I don't know if this game has a multiplayer component, but if it does it means that paying customers this weekend will have no trouble finding online matches or opponents. Finally, I believe Epic themselves have said that their weekly free games usually see a massive bump in sales afterwards and several devs have confirmed it so there is probably an element of that as well.

Look at something like Rocket League, which was "free"* on a single platform a few years ago for an entire month. And the game continued to be hugely successful and profitable and a lot of that could likely be contributed to them giving away the game for free at launch to a huge number of people.

Stuart360

If it's free for all it must not be that good or at the very least it's doing poorly in numbers.
The 'official' word is that its a special promotion by the devs, they talk about it on their blog. In reality its just another moneyhat by Epic.
Anyway got the game earlier. Another add to the 40+ games i have on Epic that i will probably never play.

Patrick S.

Banned
I think it will. Giving away the game for free for 24 hours (on a random Thursday) is actually somewhat smart. First of all, you get a lot more people talking about your game and promoting it for you by mentioning the giveaway (even in this very thread) as well as people streaming on Twitch and such. 24 hours is a pretty short amount of time and most people will miss the promo as this is happening in the middle of the week. I don't know if this game has a multiplayer component, but if it does it means that paying customers this weekend will have no trouble finding online matches or opponents. Finally, I believe Epic themselves have said that their weekly free games usually see a massive bump in sales afterwards and several devs have confirmed it so there is probably an element of that as well.

Look at something like Rocket League, which was "free"* on a single platform a few years ago for an entire month. And the game continued to be hugely successful and profitable and a lot of that could likely be contributed to them giving away the game for free at launch to a huge number of people.

Will be super interesting to see how well the game will do, I hope they'll share some sales data in the future.

MiguelItUp

My library of free games continues to grow, lmao. I love that there's like 15-25 titles? But 3-5 of them are paid for, lol.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Will be super interesting to see how well the game will do, I hope they'll share some sales data in the future.
Same here, I honestly hope it does really well.

Oh and I just saw they have some announced DLC - so obviously having a larger install base of the base game will likely translate into higher sales for that. Lots of people (myself included) might be more inclined to purchase the DLC if I got the game for free.

A.Romero

I remember Shogun: Total War was my first PS2 game, was super hyped for it back then but didn't like it very much. Haven't tried a Total War game ever since, but man, at that price I'll sure give it a try :) How the fuck can they afford giving away a full price game, day one?

I didn't know Total War released on PS2. How was it? Did it require the HDD? Did it have controls adapted to gamepad?

Patrick S.

Banned
I didn't know Total War released on PS2. How was it? Did it require the HDD? Did it have controls adapted to gamepad?

Oops, I got it wrong I my head, the game I had on PS2 was actually called "Kessen". I remember that the game itself was cool, but the controls were suboptimal.

maxresdefault.jpg

A.Romero

Oops, I got it wrong I my head, the game I had on PS2 was actually called "Kessen". I remember that the game itself was cool, but the controls were suboptimal.

maxresdefault.jpg

I can see why you got them mixed up.

If you have a capable PC and like strategy games, try Total War. IMO they are one of the best in biz.

ZZZZ

I'm so confused why Sega is doing this, they are making truck loads of cash with Warhammer ( with all the great dlcs) and three Kingdoms, i guess they are testing new ways to make money and see if they are worth it?

Patrick S.

Banned
I can see why you got them mixed up.

If you have a capable PC and like strategy games, try Total War. IMO they are one of the best in biz.

Yeah, Kessen was super similar to Total War. It's not really my most played genre, though. Back in the day I played a lot of Dune 2 and later Command & Conquer, but I've never had a lot of patience for the far more strategic games. I do like Sci Fi 4X games a lot, though :)

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm so confused why Sega is doing this, they are making truck loads of cash with Warhammer ( with all the great dlcs) and three Kingdoms, i guess they are testing new ways to make money and see if they are worth it?

I'll happily take a free Alien Isolation 2 :)

A.Romero

Epic is probably paying. Same for a 1 year exclusivity deal with EGS.

This is like their spin off, same as Three Kingdoms. Their main product is probably Warhammer.

ZZZZ

Epic is probably paying. Same for a 1 year exclusivity deal with EGS.

This is like their spin off, same as Three Kingdoms. Their main product is probably Warhammer.
Three Kingdoms wasn't a spin off to be honest, it was part of the main entry.
The spin offs are Attila, Thrones of Brettonia and Troy.

Helios

It doesn't seem that robust compared to Warhammer or Three Kingdoms. I wonder how many people would've bought this one if you actually had to pay for it.
Anyway, the fact that we still have to wait for Blood and it's probably still paid DLC is bullshit. I still can't believe CA gets away with this dumb practice.

Stuart360

maxresdefault.jpg
Kessen actually wasnt that bad for this kind of game on a console at that time. I remember spending quite a bit of time on it.

Stuart360

It doesn't seem that robust compared to Warhammer or Three Kingdoms. I wonder how many people would've bought this one if you actually had to pay for it.
Anyway, the fact that we still have to wait for Blood and it's probably still paid DLC is bullshit. I still can't believe CA gets away with this dumb practice.
What the, they have done that again?. It was the same thing with Three Kingdoms.

isual

got it from EGS, but wont download yet. i don't buy dlc anymore for these games. but i am waiting for warhammer 3

Sybrix

Its does actually play quite well surprisingly.

I saw a few preview vids and was thinking now i know why this is free but actually its quite fun.

I haven't really got too deep into Total War games since Warhammer 1, Total Kingdoms i played and thought meh.

Troy seems quite fun and will defiantly keep at this game.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
You have a point there.

Rome 2 and Bretonnia were missteps, but Shogun 2, Warhammer 1+2, and Three Kingdoms are all amazing products. Haven't tried Troy too much yet.

Rome 2 was disappointing but at least it was not Empire. That's when I learned to never trust CA. They really fucked that one up lmao. Rome 2 was sort of playable at launch and it was fixed for free. Empire was such a disaster they're not talking about it anymore. They pissed away five years on it and it doesn't even get a mention in that NoClip documentary :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kazza

How is the AI in this (and 2 Kingdoms and Warhammer too)? I used to play this series a lot, but got fed up of the enemy army slowing walking around my city walls getting shot by my archers, the general immediately suiciding himself on spearmen as soon as the battle starts etc. The AI didn't seem to improve much from the original Shogun all the way to Empire (which is where I pretty much stopped)

Top Bottom