• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer 3 Reviews

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Can't wait for Mortal Empire III, it's gonna be glorious

8z8qy5bugfi81.jpg
9yb5a6bugfi81.jpg

Let's be honest. It's just envy because they think someone "less worthy" was allowed to play earlier. It isn't a new thing. And it's silly and childish every time. Probably it also hides irrational nationalist anger because CA dared to stop new releases for Three Kingdoms 1.5 years after release, the travesty! 😂
I don't agree, but you have your opinion and I have mine. We all have different opinions on what is acceptable in a game sold 60e.
In the end I have fun with the game and that's the only thing that interests me.

amigastar

What's Mortal Empires III?
Edit: Ok i see its a campaign from all 3 games, sounds epic. Although you have to have all three games. Maybe i will pick them up when Mortal Empires III comes out.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Finished the prologue in one six hour sitting lol... I got rather cringy when i realised it was just arthas going to northrend again, but I'm still determined to rescue that bear god.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What's Mortal Empires III?
Edit: Ok i see its a campaign from all 3 games, sounds epic. Although you have to have all three games. Maybe i will pick them up when Mortal Empires III comes out.
Really, Mortal Empires is THE reason to play the game. ALL the factions available fighting for control of a map. You could literally spend weeks/months playing a single campaign if you wanted, AND that can be done co-op/vs. mode if you wanted too.

If I had extra money, I'd have picked up TW3 by now, but I really only had extra cash for 1 game this month and I chose Elden Ring, that said, I REALLY look forward to play TW3 as soon as I can. The amount of hours playing TW2 with my Pops is disgusting. Such an amazing series that is so fun to play. Looking forward to it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
When I see the various excuses for the “Chinese Review Bombing” all I can think of is “whiny entitled gamers”. Game is damn fun. Has a lot of bugs to work out, but you can clearly see that this is a passion project and the ultimate culmination of Creative Assemblies work over the past decade.

Only real major issues I have are mostly related to their asinine DLC gatekeeping of blood.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Wish it would come to Xbox, I dont see the point in PC only games anymore.

Last edited:
Tried Cathay last night and I have to say the Yin/Yang system is great in terms making you think about what buildings, heroes and units to use rather than just spamming the meta everywhere. I appreciate that after a few dozen games I will know what works best and just stick to that but it felt really fresh compared to my 100th Malekith mortal empire campaign.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Wish it would come to Xbox, I dont see the point in PC only games anymore.
Have you seen the control scheme for the Total War Series? You'll quite literally be using the shift/contol/alt keys+ left or righ click for different actions, not counting the hotbars and camera controls as well. It's very overwhelming for a new player as it is with just the kb+m. If there was ever a reason for M+KB, it's the Total War series. It'd be tough to emulate the nuance of the controls with a controller.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Have you seen the control scheme for the Total War Series? You'll quite literally be using the shift/contol/alt keys+ left or righ click for different actions, not counting the hotbars and camera controls as well. It's very overwhelming for a new player as it is with just the kb+m. If there was ever a reason for M+KB, it's the Total War series. It'd be tough to emulate the nuance of the controls with a controller.

Xbox has m + kb support.

A.Romero

Constant 60 fps has always been pretty difficult to get in these games. Their engine is pretty old.

Even playing old releases with high end hardware compromises need to be made to keep. I've always taken irregular framerate as a part of the series.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Xbox has m + kb support.
They should bring it to consoles then. Though, they'd have to put a giant disclaimer to ensure that people know that a kb+m is required. Though, with how people are you could call it Keyboard and Mouse Total War: Warhammer 3 Keyboard Required Edition and people still would buy it and try and play with a controller.

They should bring it to consoles then. Though, they'd have to put a giant disclaimer to ensure that people know that a kb+m is required. Though, with how people are you could call it Keyboard and Mouse Total War: Warhammer 3 Keyboard Required Edition and people still would buy it and try and play with a controller.
Pretty sure MS requires every game to work with a controller.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So i've read about Mortal Empires mod but i don't really know or understand what makes this mod so special?

It isn't a mod. Its a game mode. It combines every single map in the franchise and allows you to play any of the races/factions from previous games including the new ones.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
So i've read about Mortal Empires mod but i don't really know or understand what makes this mod so special?
Ah so basically, it's not a mod. It is an official super grand campaign map (will be about more than double the size of the released map you are playing now. They tend to be released by Creative Assembly about 6 months to a year after release. It is a cumulative giant map conquest with every faction ever made since Warhammer 1 (so you would need all 3 games to get it). This update is being called 'Immortal Empires.' It's nice because it really is all about how you like to conquer; no timers, no deadlines, no racing to close portals and collect souls. It is really the only thing I'm waiting for, but the mods for it can be amazing as well.

niilokin

Bought game pass for 1 euro and started playing this... jesus christ I forgot how overwhelming these games are for me, at the beginning of every turn new quest issued, advisor goes bla bla bla, world event happens, diplomacy attempts, my lord my lord do this go here

manfestival

I'm probably going to give the game a download since it is on gamepass and try it out. I am curious if somehow Total War is actually good in these games, because the modern historical Total War historical games are pretty bad once you learn how the AI behaves and you basically win every single battle unless you are hopelessly outnumbered.
Eh you can outplay the AI in every game just like those games. Not hard Just always a ton of micromanagement. I just get my mind blown when I see people playing the game full speed in combat managing everything.

theres like 4 million warhammer games. And i still don't know wtf Warhammer is.
my only frame of reference is there was this store in the mall that had painted figurines in the window. I think it was a boardgame store. and it was Warhammer stuff

there are so many Warhammer games. That i own 3 of them. Xbox foisted upon me
Well there are 2 distinct universes. There is Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. These are tabletop games.

Bought game pass for 1 euro and started playing this... jesus christ I forgot how overwhelming these games are for me, at the beginning of every turn new quest issued, advisor goes bla bla bla, world event happens, diplomacy attempts, my lord my lord do this go here
Yep that is 4x in a nutshell. These games always overwhelming when it comes to the overworld. Then the real meat and potatoes which is another learning curve is the actual combat itself.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I had the chance to play this game and I'm liking it so far.

I'm playing with a 8600k and a 3070 (both without OC) and can run the game with ultra settings at 1440P. It does get to 60 fps but it's not fixed. Still, G-sync helps a lot so it's the smoothest I have played Total War ever. It crashed the first time I launched it and it doesn't play well with 2 monitors (even if it the second monitor is off, the pointer doesn't stay within the window so if I want to go left on the map I have to use the keyboard, otherwise it won't move. I think it's the most stable launch (after Troy) that I have been able to play.

Played the prologue campaign fully and started a new campaign with with the Ice Court. So far so good. I mean, it's Total War, I didn't see any drastic changed in the gameplay. It did feel like the game was going faster than usual with buildings getting built and units being recruited faster but it's been a while since I played II.

Recommended. Can't wait for Inmortal empires.

amigastar

Do you guys think that it will be possible to play Immortal Empires with Total War: Warhammer 1 and 2 on Steam and 3 on gamepass.

Mercador

Well there are 2 distinct universes. There is Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. These are tabletop games.
I would like to add that Warhammer (Fantasy) is now split in two, Warhammer (Original) and Warhammer Age of Sigmar. The Total War series is set on the former.

Mercador

Do you guys think that it will be possible to play Immortal Empires with Total War: Warhammer 1 and 2 on Steam and 3 on gamepass.
No, they won't. Here's what I plan to do; right now, I play with Gamepass and by the time Immortal Empires is released, pretty sure the game will be way less expensive on Steam at that time.

WILL THERE BE A COMBINED MAP FOR OWNERS OF ALL THREE GAMES?​

Yes, though currently our focus is on Total War: WARHAMMER III.

We will release a massive combined map that will be a huge free DLC for owners of all three games, and we’ll have more detail later.

Note that you will need to own all three parts of the trilogy through a single store front in order to claim this free DLC. Please see above for details.

amigastar

No, they won't. Here's what I plan to do; right now, I play with Gamepass and by the time Immortal Empires is released, pretty sure the game will be way less expensive on Steam at that time.

That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info, though.

Tschumi

I'm not enjoying it as much as tww2, i haven't taken the time to learn kislev so I'm just playing them like empire and the battles are beyond infuriating... i find the huge swathes of awkward chaos battles between me and rescuing the bear to be a turn off... I spend all my time clearing nordlings and chaos out of kislev holdings while everyone else starts gathering demon souls or whatever they're called... I'm living a pretty RP life here, everything in Warhammer is fun until chaos comes to end everything.. then you just hope you've got enough gold to get them to bugger off to their troll caves for a while longer..

...I wanna reread that gotrek and felix wherein praag gets attacked by a chaos invasion...

Gamepass... Some cheap mofos up in here...

Last edited:

Tschumi

it and it doesn't play well with 2 monitors (even if it the second monitor is off, the pointer doesn't stay within the window so if I want to go left on the map I have to use the keyboard, otherwise it won't move.
You've probably already considered this but before you play the game just set your display settings to duplicate instead of extend the desktop and you'll just have two individual screens with hard borders.

A.Romero

You've probably already considered this but before you play the game just set your display settings to duplicate instead of extend the desktop and you'll just have two individual screens with hard borders.
You know what? I didn't think of trying that, thanks for the suggestion.

amigastar

I'm sure they will release Immortal Empires as soon as possible because it means potential sales for Total War: WH 1, 2 and 3. Maybe in a month or so.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Total War: Warhammer 3 multiplayer reviewed by Leana Hafer on PC.

Total War: Warhammer 3 has the most diverse and most fun ways to play with friends the series has ever seen, but network issues can still be a bit troublesome.

Last edited:

amigastar

So after 12 hours i've finished the Prologue. Now onto the campaign. Which faction is the best for beginners and most fun? Should i play the Kislev or do you guys recommend any other fun faction for the campaign?

Last edited:

A.Romero

So after 12 hours i've finished the Prologue. Now onto the campaign. Which faction is the best for beginners and most fun? Should i play the Kislev or do you guys recommend any other fun faction for the campaign?

If you are new to the series probably Kislev is best for beginners. If you like the management and diplomacy I'd think it's the most fun as well but I haven't played with other factions yet.

ToxicWeeb

Banned
The minor settlement battles are awful, maybe it would be okay if it was only for walled cities, but for every single one? Nah. I'm definitely waiting for mods so I can just fight a normal battle like in Warhammer 2.

A.Romero

The minor settlement battles are awful, maybe it would be okay if it was only for walled cities, but for every single one? Nah. I'm definitely waiting for mods so I can just fight a normal battle like in Warhammer 2.
What do you mean? Like fighting in the open instead of having to attack a city and dealing with the caps?

I think taking a settlement needs to be hard and with a clear advantage for the local garrison.

Kacho

Gold Member
Kislev is the one everyone will suggest but if you enjoy battles/domination definitely go with Khorne. They are insanely OP and fast once you learn the mechanics. Just incredibly fun to play as.

amigastar

Kislev is the one everyone will suggest but if you enjoy battles/domination definitely go with Khorne. They are insanely OP and fast once you learn the mechanics. Just incredibly fun to play as.
I indeed wanted to play with a Demon Faction instead of Humans. So i think i'm gonna go with Khorne.
And according to this list Khorne are S-Tier.

Last edited:

ToxicWeeb

Banned
What do you mean? Like fighting in the open instead of having to attack a city and dealing with the caps?

I think taking a settlement needs to be hard and with a clear advantage for the local garrison.
You're going to be taking hundreds of settlements during the campaign, I'd rather not have sieges every time.

A.Romero

You're going to be taking hundreds of settlements during the campaign, I'd rather not have sieges every time.

I get what you are saying.

Personally I'm always hoping to be able to conquer by siege, just waiting out the turns for the enemy to drop. It's costly (resources wise) to go and invade because the settlement has an advantage.

The bright side is that for defending you can almost always auto resolve. I rather focus my attention on conquering and auto resolve defense.

Robochobo

Latest patch broke the game even more for me. Total FPS gained is around 10 for a total of 60-80 FPS, but now I'm getting constant stuttering which I never had before. Guessing they still can't figure how to get the game to work with the 12th gen Intels, and it's driving me absolutely bonkers. Practically unplayable at this point.

Last edited:

amigastar

Damn, the game looks gorgeous. I've looked some footage of Total War: Shogun 2 up and the difference to todays Total War is really night and day.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Kislev should be more doable on easier difficulties. It is one of the strongest factiona in battle, but on the campaign they get hit from so many directions. I don't normally play evil factions but Khorn is what you want if you want a successful first time.

amigastar

Nice Review and makes much sense. My question though is how can i use reinforcement units cause some armies are too big to fight and i wanted to increase the unit count.

Last edited:
Honestly this game just isn't that fun due to the shitty main objective campaign.
It's boring and tedious. Spend so much time messing about defending while trying to invade portals you barely feel like making progress. If you ignore the portals the ai cheats and just wins the objective anyway.

The mortal empires can't come soon enough.

amigastar

Should i buy Total War: WH 1 and 2 and play mortal empires until Warhammer 3 gets fixed since i experience crashes to desktop?

Top Bottom