• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou guys, what's your favorite Touhou Music/Games?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My favorite Touhou game is Touhou 8, honestly- i feel like it's the perfect balance of difficulty and music that makes it so fun to replay. It's host to some of the series most popular characters too, like Reisen Inaba and Kaguya Houraisan. (the former is fucking awesome too- a rabbit that can make people go insane through nothing but sheer eye contact is fucking wild.)

I know this one is kind of popular (since Night of Nights is a thing) but god i can never get tired of that melody. It's an infectious fucking earworm that plays in my head 24/7.

This theme has to be one of the most iconic in the franchise. I remember listening to so many remixes in 2015, lol

Discuss! i'd make a poll but there are so many games in the franchise, lol

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played a single one, although I have Luna Nights on my backlog.

Btw, what's the matter with this franchise? Can anyone just pick it up and make a game based on it? I saw some dude on 4chan was making an SMT-like with those gals as main characters.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
yes, the creator is actually really fucking lenient with the copyright, even more than Sega. as long as you ask his permission you can just make whatever and sell it, it's fucking epic
Honestly, that's based.

Also great for the fans! That SMT-like game looked real cool, hope the guy gets to finish it. I'll post some info on it if I ever find it again.

Edit: found it. It's called Touhou: Artificial Dream in Arcadia. Looks neat so far.

Last edited:

Shifty

My favorite Touhou game is Touhou 8
Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

Killing your own thread with the #1 recommendation right out of the gate, based.

Holammer

For fan games? Luna Nights, it was my first TH game. I bought it 'cuz I love Metroidvania and when I finished the Patchy fight I figured I'm not understanding the characters or setting, not having context for anything and there's clearly something going on here. So I started reading all the official manga and tried again, much more enjoyable when I understand why the witch girl was treated like a pest.
Also tried the mainline games and my faves are probably TH10 - Mountain of Faith & TH11 - Subterranean Animism. Going up and going down. Both of them introduce iconic Touhou characters. TH15 belongs in the trash.

Some like the games, others the music. I'm in the dojin camp and I have read 100's of them. One of my favorites is Ichiba Youichi's 'Sickness Sprouts from the Builder's Tears'. The artist draws more down to earth stories that feel like they could take place in Gensokyo.

For any confused souls reading this thread, try this classic J.T. Sexkik video from 2012 explaining the TH phenomenon. It's still relevant and goes over the basics.

Shifty

Music-wise, I'll go with Voyage 1970 - the tune that comes after Kaguya'a theme:

It's a tad short and the Voyage 1969 prelude from Stage 6 is arguably a more rounded version of the concept, but there's something about the soaring arpeggios and high-tempo percussion that presses my buttons.

Is there any one available on Steam?
Absolutely shitloads.

Though as far as I know those are all doujin spinoffs. The original ZUN titles were released outside of Steam, so the internet archive or poking around fan wikis for the original JP release pages is your best bet.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Is there any one available on Steam?
Though as far as I know those are all doujin spinoffs. The original ZUN titles were released outside of Steam, so the internet archive or poking around fan wikis for the original JP release pages is your best bet.
ZUN has been slowly releasing them on steam actually

Still lacking some of the older titles though. Also, they're 100% jp, so you have to fan-patch it yourself

Last edited:

Holammer

Music-wise, I'll go with Voyage 1970 - the tune that comes after Kaguya'a theme:

It's a tad short and the Voyage 1969 prelude from Stage 6 is arguably a more rounded version of the concept, but there's something about the soaring arpeggios and high-tempo percussion that just presses my buttons.

Absolutely shitloads.

Most of the mainline titles are now on Steam afaik. Not all, TH08 is missing for example.

Guilty_AI

Always thought the stage 1 themes feel memorable somehow (probably from you hearing them over and over again)

Last edited:

Pejo

This seems as good a place to ask as any, this Touhou flavored ....homage to SotN, anybody played it? Is it good?

Guilty_AI

This seems as good a place to ask as any, this Touhou flavored ....homage to SotN, anybody played it? Is it good?

From the reviews, it says the game is good but is lacking in content and polish for the price being asked.

For touhou-themed metroidvanias i'd recommend Luna Nights more

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Lots of Touhou Music me and Guilty_AI Guilty_AI posted here
Time to revive that thread

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Been enjoying the classic Touhou selection in Muse Dash recently. Normally people have to make custom tracks and mod them in, but nope Muse Dash went all official, and it's great.

The crossover characters are always fun to mess around with too.

Last edited:

Shifty

So what's the deal with Touhou? Does the appeal come from the original games or from fan games?
The originals, for my part. Mighty fine bullet hell games, and the 'spell card' system is a great way to discretize boss waves into something you can practice per-difficulty.

The fan stuff seems to have variety in spades, but I've always been wary of it on account of anyone being able to use the franchise. Statistically speaking that's not a great proposition in terms of quality, though a few of them seem to be held in high regard.

I dunno, part of it is probably down to my being a grumpy old man whose threshold for anime is already pretty low.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i like everything but its easy as hell to get into listening the music
if you wanna play the games though.... good luck making it to stage 4

DynaMarisa 3D is my favourite Touhou game, probably because it's effectively an EDF clone with an anaglyph 3D mode as an added bonus. Really should give it another blast soon as it's been a few years now.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My favorite OFFICIAL touhou game is TH8, but my favorite fan game though has to be this little obscure game called Suwako Chan Cubic. It's basically a reimgaining of Touhou's gameplay in 2.5D, sort of. You're not only able to go UNDER bullets, but jump above them too. It's a really creative and surprisingly fun take on the formula and it'd be better than TH8 for me if it weren't for the fact that the music really isn't as good as most touhou stuff. It's still VERY worth your time though if you've gotten used to the basic touhou gameplay at this point and need something to spice it up.

Top Bottom