• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Fighter - the era of WEIRD Sega...and the weird games of the late 90s/early 2000s

VGEsoterica

Sure Sure...games have been weird BEFORE the Dreamcast era and they have been weird AFTER the Dreamcast era...but I swear peak weirdness came to us when Sega had the Dreamcast and NAOMI on the market. Seaman? Space Channel 5? Typing of the Dead? All legit fun games with some really weird concepts / styles

But Toy Fighter is probably Sega at peak weird. But of course because it's ALSO Sega its ALSO a legit awesome 3D fighting game that plays like a hybrid of Virtua Fighter mixed with Fighting Vipers / Last Bronx. But damn...is it weird!

I mean seriously...what other game can you play as a chicken that is made out of clock gears, cogs and what looks like LEGO technic pieces?

I miss the era of weird games. Now it's mostly weird INDIE games...which are great...but lacking something compared to mainstream weirdness

But I know there are some weird games from this era even I have probably never heard of...so c'mon GAF....feed me the weirdness!

Three

Sure Sure...games have been weird BEFORE the Dreamcast era and they have been weird AFTER the Dreamcast era...but I swear peak weirdness came to us when Sega had the Dreamcast and NAOMI on the market. Seaman? Space Channel 5? Typing of the Dead? All legit fun games with some really weird concepts / styles

But Toy Fighter is probably Sega at peak weird. But of course because it's ALSO Sega its ALSO a legit awesome 3D fighting game that plays like a hybrid of Virtua Fighter mixed with Fighting Vipers / Last Bronx. But damn...is it weird!

I mean seriously...what other game can you play as a chicken that is made out of clock gears, cogs and what looks like LEGO technic pieces?

I miss the era of weird games. Now it's mostly weird INDIE games...which are great...but lacking something compared to mainstream weirdness

But I know there are some weird games from this era even I have probably never heard of...so c'mon GAF....feed me the weirdness!

Toy figher was peak weird sega? I mean this was pretty weird

kunonabi

The fact that toy fighter is essentially fighter destiny 3 makes me incredibly frustrated that I haven't played it.

In terms of "mainstream" weird games, a few come to mind:

Doshin the Giant:

Chulip:

Cubivore:

Mr Mosquito:

Anything by Keita Takahashi:

Man I've been trying to get into Lov de Lic games but some of the puzzle logic in them is just WAY to exotic/esoteric without using a guide almost to the letter. Not my ideal way for a first-time play.

But speaking of weird Sega games, I'm really hoping this one gets an English fan translation one day...

Isa

I definitely miss that era. For me its DC through PS2. It was enough time and experience that 3D game development was improving over early 3D games, not saying that there weren't clunky games or cameras and controls after of course. I also think one of the things that help endear me towards these C-AA tier titles is that they still feel like they are apart of the current gen development zeitgeist as opposed to most indies which just ape what's come before offering a new gimmick. Not saying they're bad mind you, but I think that many of those zany titles on DC and PS2 actually offered plenty of ideas and blueprints for game design that would be adopted later.

For example I adore the MR Mosquito games, and I feel the DNA in titles like the Gun Gun Pixies and EDF. Also those old Toy Army Men games, I remember wanting to love them but they were so janky and just lacked that polish, but the spirit and ideas were there and definitely the precursor to future 3rd person shooters. Love the threads, keep up the great work!

VGEsoterica

Man I've been trying to get into Lov de Lic games but some of the puzzle logic in them is just WAY to exotic/esoteric without using a guide almost to the letter. Not my ideal way for a first-time play.

But speaking of weird Sega games, I'm really hoping this one gets an English fan translation one day...

You have to play L.O.L. The logic is easy to get your head wrapped around and there is basically zero language barrier.

I have an OG copy for Dreamcast and I play it every few years

CamHostage

Is that a bootleg Sonic the Hedgehog doll in the kid's bedroom inside a real SEGA game?

EC6eoXLWwAA3wid.png

Toy Fighter looks cool, I like its wrestling mechanics and close-proximity ring system.

Last edited:
I definitely miss that era. For me its DC through PS2. It was enough time and experience that 3D game development was improving over early 3D games, not saying that there weren't clunky games or cameras and controls after of course. I also think one of the things that help endear me towards these C-AA tier titles is that they still feel like they are apart of the current gen development zeitgeist as opposed to most indies which just ape what's come before offering a new gimmick. Not saying they're bad mind you, but I think that many of those zany titles on DC and PS2 actually offered plenty of ideas and blueprints for game design that would be adopted later.

For example I adore the MR Mosquito games, and I feel the DNA in titles like the Gun Gun Pixies and EDF. Also those old Toy Army Men games, I remember wanting to love them but they were so janky and just lacked that polish, but the spirit and ideas were there and definitely the precursor to future 3rd person shooters. Love the threads, keep up the great work!

Really good way of looking at it. My issue with some indies, particularly some Western ones, is that when they try to be funny, they seem too self-aware of their cheesiness and a lot of the humor is referential to other games. Like a "See? Aren't I funny?" or "hehe, I'm so clever!" type of humor. It just sort of became a pet peeve of mine with some indie games after time.

You have to play L.O.L. The logic is easy to get your head wrapped around and there is basically zero language barrier.

I have an OG copy for Dreamcast and I play it every few years

I'll try to do so someday; really feel like a lot of my issues with Moon and Chulip would be resolved if there was an in-game scheduler to access, and maybe a journal on certain character personality types after you've met them once.

Because a lot of the logic in those games revolve around character schedules and personality tendencies. Quite different than a typical adventure game's logic of just using an item among your inventory to see which one works in what spot.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom