• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails series developers are working on bringing early titles to modern hardware

20240627-33051-960x640.jpg

Nihon Falcom’s Trails series, part of the larger Legend of Heroes franchise, celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. With 12 mainline entries and counting, the series maintains a devoted playerbase, but is no doubt intimidating to approach for new players. However, it seems that along with working on new games, Trails’ creators are working on making the series easier to pick up for newcomers, at least when it comes to compatible platforms.

In a recent interview with Dengeki Online, Nihon Falcom CEO Toshihiro Kondo commented that the Trails series’ early titles are becoming difficult to play because they are only available on older hardware (the first game, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky came out on PS3, PSP, PS Vita and Windows). This makes it harder for the RPG series to attract new players. “Of course, I would be happy even if new players went straight to Trails Through Daybreak or Kai no Kiseki (new title releasing September 26 in Japan), but I still wish people would play the introduction to the series, and I’m sure many players feel that way too,” Kondo comments.

Although he does not specify whether it’s a port, remake or remaster, Kondo says that Falcom Games is currently working on “something” in response to this situation, and that he hopes to be able to make the announcement official during the series’ 20th anniversary.

Source - Automaton West

I wish it would be completely remade on their newest engine but I know that wont happen. Maybe after they are completely done with the series they can remake the older ones and release the whole thing as a pack.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
English voices or bust.

I gave the first game a try, but I am done with Japanese voices and reading English subtitles. I say this as someone who has been learning Japanese for years and can understand about half of what is said. I don’t want to be staring at subtitles for dozens of hours.
On PC there is a fan dub

However, they've so far only finished the prologue and first chapter of the first game. :(

Thief1987

Seems like XSeed will publish modern ports of Oath in Felghana in the west, so it's implying that they manage to restore some relationships with Falcom and that could open the road to Sky trilogy re-release.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I would be fine with that

Aren't they remakes of the first two Trails games?
The first trilogy as well as Zero and Ao.

I don't know if I would call them full blown remakes. Basically they just add voice acting and update the character artwork to make them look more like contemporary characters in the series. Those are the two main changes.

Oh yeah, and I also add new cutscenes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom