• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TransCanada suspends bid for Keystone pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

http://www.businessinsider.com/tran...s-permit-for-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-2015-11

The company battling to build the Keystone XL pipeline made a plea for a ceasefire on Monday, asking the Obama administration to suspend its review of the controversial infrastructure project that would bring heavy oil from Alberta to U.S. refineries.

If granted by the U.S. State Department, the delay would almost certainly hand the decision for the $8 billion project to a future president rather than Barack Obama, a Democrat.

"We are asking State (Department) to pause its review of Keystone XL based on the fact that we have applied to the Nebraska Public Service Commission for approval of its preferred route in the state," TransCanada Chief Executive Officer Russ Girling said in a statement.

jstripes

Banned
Could this have anything to do with a new Prime Minister taking office, with a majority government, on November 4?

Cerium

Could this have anything to do with a new Prime Minister taking office, with a majority government, on November 4?
Not really. It means they're giving up on Obama approving the thing so they're probably banking on a Republican doing it in 2017.

I'd imagine this is basically because it's just not a profitable venture until the price of oil goes back up... So might as well wait.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Even back when this was still being debated in congress, I feel like I remember democrats arguing that oil has become so cheap that it's no longer a deal that canada even wants anymore.

I guess this just makes that argument official? Or I'm just having a crazy case of deja vu.

SRG01

Even back when this was still being debated in congress, I feel like I remember democrats arguing that oil has become so cheap that it's no longer a deal that canada even wants anymore.

I guess this just makes that argument official? Or I'm just having a crazy case of deja vu.

No, the whole point of Keystone is to remove the price differential between Western Canadian Select and Brent/Texas. There isn't a scenario where Keystone isn't beneficial from a price standpoint because it would pay dividends down the road. It's the route through sensitive land that has always been contentious and, as proven by the Nexen spill earlier this year, even the latest and greatest monitoring tech can fail.

edit: In fact, it makes more sense now from a monetary standpoint for TransCanada to push for it now and get it done cheaply rather than to wait until the economy picks up and things get more expensive.

FyreWulff

Nobody in Nebraska wants it

get the GOP likes to pretend we do

(spoiler: we don't)

When you still have shit like this running:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-aging-oil-pipelines-below-the-great-lakes

How can we approve new ones?
But Enbridge does not have a particularly inspiring record, with more than 800 spills between 1999 and 2010, totalling 6.8 million gallons of spilled oil. In 2010, its pipeline 6B ruptured in the Kalamazoo River. The nation’s focus was pulled by Deepwater Horizon at the time, but the Kalamazoo River spill became the nation’s biggest inland oil spill.
"This is fine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom