• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treyarch says creating an inclusive working environment is its top priority

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The statement was released via Treyarch’s social media channels this week, over a month after co-studio head Dan Bunting left the company following an investigation into reports that he sexually harassed a female employee.

“Our goal as a studio is to make awesome games for the world to enjoy,” Treyarch’s statement reads. “Having the privilege to pursue that endeavor is made possible because of Treyarch’s people: we are a studio comprised of smart, talented, world-class creative professionals who seek to perform at our best.

“Our culture has no room for sexism, harassment, racism, bigotry, discrimination, or bullying,” it continues. “As we move forward, providing a safe, diverse, inclusive working environment so that all may thrive will be our highest priority.

“Everyone at Treyarch is drawn to game development because we possess a deep love for the artistry of video games and the magic that can create moments that matter. This is a moment that matters and it starts by being better.”

Some social media commenters initially interpreted the message as being a disingenuous corporate statement from Treyarch’s parent company Activision Blizzard, which is currently facing multiple regulatory investigations over alleged sexual assaults and harassment of female employees.

Kuranghi

“Our culture has no room for sexism, harassment, racism, bigotry, discrimination, or bullying,” it continues. “As we move forward, providing a safe, diverse, inclusive working environment so that all may thrive will be our highest priority.

Oh what! Those are some of my favourite things. No job for me at Treyarch!

Who the fuck isn't against those things you don't need to say it like we've just decided to be against it, lmao.

I bet in this context "Discrimination" also means "this person was best for the job but they didnt bring the right element for our "United Colours of Benetton"-style team makeup" and bullying means they told you your work was subpar after consistently being subpar :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good luck with keeping the quality of your work high guys, those games are going to be the awesomest in the world, I can already tell from the earth-shattering impact of the message conveyed in this press release.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Gaf when they hear the word diversity, or inclusion

giphy.gif

Woopah

But what you say and “ diversity “ are not one in the same. You can have either without the other or if lucky enough both. It all depends on the individuals hired not their “ identity “
They are not saying hire people based on identify. Human beings are very diverse, so if you attract, hire and develop the most talented people then your company will also be diverse. In no way does diversity require hiring people for their identity.

Woopah

That’s exactly what it means. If it didn’t then it wouldn’t even be a thing. 😵‍💫
No, it doesn't. Being inclusive is making sure that you are able to attract talent from all areas, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, etc. etc. In the specific case of Activision, they can recruit more women into the company and into leadership positions by fixing their sexist work culture and stamping out harassment. They don't need to (and should not be) hiring people just because their women.

Lognor

Banned
That's the priority for a lot of companies right now, especially Fortune 500 companies. My company set up a Diversity and Inclusion group and they harp on about it all the time. I see a ton of people in my industry, both within my organization and outside of it, going on about D&I on Linkedin. I mean, it's good, but it seems a bit overkill?

I met with a guy for a position I'm hiring for this week and he was going on about how he kept getting rejected from jobs because he's a white dude. I don't know if that's true or not, and my HR recruiter has not said specifically that I need to be looking at a person of color or a woman so I'm just looking for the best candidate. And the people she has screened and passed on to me have all been white dudes. lol

V4skunk

Banned

The statement was released via Treyarch’s social media channels this week, over a month after co-studio head Dan Bunting left the company following an investigation into reports that he sexually harassed a female employee.

“Our goal as a studio is to make awesome games for the world to enjoy,” Treyarch’s statement reads. “Having the privilege to pursue that endeavor is made possible because of Treyarch’s people: we are a studio comprised of smart, talented, world-class creative professionals who seek to perform at our best.

“Everyone at Treyarch is drawn to game development because we possess a deep love for the artistry of video games and the magic that can create moments that matter. This is a moment that matters and it starts by being better.”

Some social media commenters initially interpreted the message as being a disingenuous corporate statement from Treyarch’s parent company Activision Blizzard, which is currently facing multiple regulatory investigations over alleged sexual assaults and harassment of female employees.

Translation: Don't expect much innovation from Treyarchs next cod game.

if you attract, hire and develop the most talented people then your company will also be diverse.
So if diversity happens naturally anyway, why the heck would they need to focus on it specifically as their primary goal? What you say and what they say doesn't match. Apparently they want to improve diversity, so there was no(t enough) diversity before and it needs to be changed. The only way to improve diversity is to focus on hiring people deemed diverse.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
They should be weeding out vermin that harass at the check up and interview phase. It’s a shame it has to be said. Next they’ll be saying “we don’t want rapists”…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh what! Those are some of my favourite things. No job for me at Treyarch!

Who the fuck isn't against those things you don't need to say it like we've just decided to be against it, lmao.

I bet in this context "Discrimination" also means "this person was best for the job but they didnt bring the right element for our "United Colours of Benetton"-style team makeup" and bullying means they told you your work was subpar after consistently being subpar :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good luck with keeping the quality of your work high guys, those games are going to be the awesomest in the world, I can already tell from the earth-shattering impact of the message conveyed in this press release.
1. Messed up company
2. Messed up employees
3. Social media whoring

Sounds like a video game company to me. And they cant be that anti-discrimination and pro-diversity. Probably 99% of their employees are White dudes. Although I do see one Black guy on the left at the tip of the W. And it looks like one female between the E and A in the black tshirt.

DYhxlr9.jpg

I just checked my own company's website and various Twitter accounts. The corporate home page is your usual links and articles about brands, career page, About Us, management team, investor relations etc.... The Twitter accounts of various product lines promote the products. No politics or anything.

What shocking concepts!

Last edited:

Woopah

So if diversity happens naturally anyway, why the heck would they need to focus on it specifically as their primary goal? What you say and what they say doesn't match. Apparently they want to improve diversity, so there was no(t enough) diversity before and it needs to be changed. The only way to improve diversity is to focus on hiring people deemed diverse.
Because if you have sexist environment then that's going to prevent women wanting to apply for a job there or stay in a job there. Diversity will happen naturally only if people are treated equally and at Activision that doesn't seem like it was the case.

I'll give some other examples from companies I've seen worked with:

1. One company was in a traditionally male-dominated industry and the leadership teams were almost entirely men. The attitude of some people in the company was that this was "a man's industry" This put off women from applying and prevented some people at the company from wanting to hire women
2. A senior leader at a different company was approached by a woman in his team, asking if there were any Director-level roles coming up she could apply for. The leader responded saying that it wasn't right for her to be applying for these senior roles, as she was in her 30s and should be focusing on having a family instead.
3. A CEO was put under pressure by by the Board to sack a member of his team, but no real explanation was given. He resisted, and found out later that the reason thte Board wanted this person sacked was because they'd found out he was gay.

All of these things impacted negatively diversity but the solution was never "hire people based on identity". It was about encouraging everyone to be treated equally.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Just using the term safe would've sufficed. Every company these days feels the need to include the words "diversity, equity, and inclusion" in every mission statement. And most of them don't actually believe it. Because at least 2 of those terms (the E and the I) are prohibitive to maximizing profit, and the 'D' if it means quotas, is also.

The job of every company is to make as much money as they can and protect their employees. Nothing more. No one's entitled to be included in anything and they're under no obligation to hire anyone who isn't the best for the job.

EDMIX

You'd think developing a quality game would be a studios top priority 🤷‍♂️

? That isn't an either or though, they still need to operate a fucking business first to make the quality game, they can't do that being slapped with a bunch of lawsuits for supporting or ignoring something that can be costly to the point of closing down the studio or something.

So the ones that RUN the company, still need to run it like any modern business, that isn't saying the artist, designers etc are not top priority or making a quality game isn't a priority or something weird like that.

They can't make that quality game with less funding, being hammered with lawsuits, closed down by Activision etc.

Its like running a restaurant while sexually harassing employees and customers and be like "oh it thought making the food would be our top priority" So I can never understand this mindset and I don't really get why people see it as an either or as if the game is fucking made out of thin air for free and zero cost comes with its development. The business still needs to behave as such folks, that is how you get those quality games. It doesn't mean ignore all fucking laws regarding a work place, a green light to rape, attack, harrass etc. They still work in a BUSINESS in America with actual laws.

Want to know what you get with this yolo, tik tok, anything goes, about da just "quality game da top priority" mind set...

So...I wouldn't want someone with that "priority" working at any fucking business I own. You can take your craft seriously while also actually fucking abiding the law. The moment that becomes some excuse to break it, I'd want nothing to do with said employee and would put out a statement no different then what Treyarch is doing.

The games should be about The. Games. Not about a bun

yea..... they still need to follow the law. This is about the business, it has nothing to do with designing a video game or anything like that. imho any business needs to have having a safe environment as a top priority, relax with this dumb either or, narrow scope, limited, finite argument on this. They are not fucking saying GAMES SHOULD BE ABOUT...you said that, no where are they making some statement like they can ONLY do 1 thing and its that or something.

As someone that owns a few businesses, I'm telling you right now....the thing that is going to stop you dead in your tracks won't be creativity, design or art block or anything like that, it will be something legal in regards to work environment, employees....laws lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just using the term safe would've sufficed. Every company these days feels the need to include the words "diversity, equity, and inclusion" in every mission statement. And most of them don't actually believe it. Because at least 2 of those terms (the E and the I) are prohibitive to maximizing profit, and the 'D' if it means quotas, is also.

The job of every company is to make as much money as they can and protect their employees. Nothing more. No one's entitled to be included in anything and they're under no obligation to hire anyone who isn't the best for the job.
There are times it's worth forcing race/gender ratios.

Government contracts.

For large deals, government (at least in Canada) will overlook your company if your company doesnt meet minority/special needs group employee ratios. I dont know if the US has the same thing.

Small companies or ones that have nothing to do with government deals wont care. But for businesses that are itching for government deals, it's worth looking into the ratio game. Activision and Treyarch making video games are not the type of companies who would care about this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Concentrate on making a fucking game first instead of worrying about what signs are hung outside your toilets

if the diversity box is ticked as a result of hiring competent staff that know how to make an entertaining and fun game then great
but if you have to hire idiots who screech on social media about someone calling them the wrong pronoun then GTFO

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How does this manifest in a working environment other than sitting through weird company mandated lectures?

I work with all types of people but nobody ever made a concerted effort to hire people on anything other than their merits as an employee

Shmunter

Apparently the gals in the typing pool typed this up.

Also, I kid I kid, settle down - there is no place for sexism in jokes or in sex!

Fare thee well

Neophyte
You ever feel like a company shouldn't have to advertise that they are being inclusive; they just fucking should be out of basic human decency? I'm fairly left on a lot of issues, but I really agree with the right on what virtue signaling is. Maybe it's just my gut on this, but actions really do speak louder than words. No one should have to brag about being inclusive; it feels like they are overcompensating for something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You ever feel like a company shouldn't have to advertise that they are being inclusive; they just fucking should be out of basic human decency? I'm fairly left on a lot of issues, but I really agree with the right on what virtue signaling is. Maybe it's just my gut on this, but actions really do speak louder than words. No one should have to brag about being inclusive; it feels like they are overcompensating for something.
That's because gaming is a heavily skewed industry towards white and asian males working there. And in this day of diversity and such, they got to PR they are opposite that when in reality their employee pool is probably 90% white/asian guys. 10% everyone else.

See my post above #30.

That's taken from Treyarch's own site what their employee pool looks like. It looks literally about 90+% white guys. I ballparked about 120 people, and I see one Black guy on the left, and two women. One woman is between the E and A, and the other is about 3 rows back of the first E. Some guys have slightly darker skin so I'll assume they are Latino.

Dont get me wrong. I have no problem with any company hiring the best fit. If it means 100% whites or 100% Latinos, do what's right for the business and skillset. BUt dont give this PR BS about diversity and shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom