• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triangle Strategy is the Best SRPG Ever Made (No Spoilers)

Sentenza

So i'm not really sure about this subgenre and how many games it covers, does it cover Divinity Original Sin 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, XCOM and Jagged Alliance 2?
Or it only covers Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, Fire Emblem and this?
Really confusing with all these subgenre names :p
They are all tactical games (if in different subgenres).

Weebs just refuse to recognize the existence of some of the alternatives you listed. Not sure why.

Sentenza

Divinity is a CRPG, X-com is a tactical shooter, FFT and TO are Strategy RPGs.
They are all TACTICAL games (and not "strategic" ones) even if they differentiate in vibe and tone and what subgenre they can be reconducted to.
As you said, DOS 1 and 2 are story-driven and quest-based CRPGs where the focus is in roaming freely and doing stuff and the tactical battles are just a part of the experience.

But stuff like Jagged Alliance 2 or any XCOM are basically the same exact type of mission-based games that focus primarily on tactics.

And XCOM is *definitely* not a tactical shooter. That would be ARMA III or ""Ready or Not".

Same with X-Com but X-com isn’t really an RPG.
People just don't tend to recognize it as one, because the western audience always made a point of making a marked distinction between the subgenres, but technically speaking both JA2 and XCOM have as much "RPG" in them as any of these Japanese "tactical RPGs". In fact they are arguably even more fitting to the definition.

Pagusas

Elden Member
People seriously try putting Xcomm and FFT as separate Genres? Naaaahhh bro, thats getting too nitty gritty In details, they are both the same type of game.

The main point of the thread is to tell tactics fans this game is really good. Personally, I do think it is my favorite ever. If you don't, that's completely fine with me. If this is your 2nd favorite, or 3rd favorite, it will probably still be a game you end up really enjoying.

Personally, I think that people tend to rose-tint some of the flaws in FFT in particular. The game feels very slow today, you can't even select a movement spot to check attack distances and then undo your movement. Spells take multiple turns. I think there's many QOL features that are utterly archaic today. But that's not really the emphasis of my point here, just giving you a little context into factors I take into consideration when rating things. I think you could recommend FFT to new players today and many would be a lot more put off by that game than Triangle Strategy. But if FFT is the love of your life forever, or Tactics Ogre, that's totally okay.

Last edited:

Jennings

I wishlisted this game. I'll give it a look when I finish part of my backlog.

Here's the part of my owned backlog I'll finish before Triangle Strategy:

Control
Tomb Raider Reboot, TR 2 , TR 3
AssCreed Odyssey
Fenyx Rising
Guardians of the Galaxy
Metroid Dread
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Daemon X Machina
Xenoblade Chronicles Switch Edition

Then maybe Starfield if it's out by then.

Then Triangle Strategy, unless I find a reason to play Triangle Strategy earlier.

SeraphJan

The main point of the thread is to tell tactics fans this game is really good. Personally, I do think it is my favorite ever. If you don't, that's completely fine with me. If this is your 2nd favorite, or 3rd favorite, it will probably still be a game you end up really enjoying.

Personally, I think that people tend to rose-tint some of the flaws in FFT in particular. The game feels very slow today, you can't even select a movement spot to check attack distances and then undo your movement. Spells take multiple turns. I think there's many QOL features that are utterly archaic today. But that's not really the emphasis of my point here, just giving you a little context into factors I take into consideration when rating things. I think you could recommend FFT to new players today and many would be a lot more put off by that game than Triangle Strategy. But if FFT is the love of your life forever, or Tactics Ogre, that's totally okay.
For me personally Tactics Ogre > Triangle Strategy > Final Fantasy Tactics.

All three of them are great games, It all comes down to which had the most flaw when you compare them, because their upsides are apparent.

For me I would have to say FFT had the most flaw when comparing the three, The first three chapter is a work of wonder, but the entire game break apart both in terms of story and gameplay when it comes to chapter 4, it almost felt like the last chapter is made by a different person, or at least rushed.

Story wise, you have very grounded approach that involves political struggle in the first 3 chapter, but in chapter 4 they were like "lets throw it all away and turn it into a Hero save the world from monster adventure".

Gameplay wise, in the last chapter, I swear I've never played a single JRPG or RPG in general that is this broken. Remember the perfect balance between your power and the power of enemy team with amazing customize job system? Lets throw it all away and give you T.G Cid, which is equivalent to official cheat code that automatically render your entire character progression up until this point meaningless, after this dude joins the party, the game is automatically won. Of course you could argue you don't have to use it, but when the game balance solely relies on player restricting themselves, you knew its a bad design.

If they stick to what makes FFT great in the first 3 chapter and somehow make it persistent until the end, my opinion would be different.

This is coming from someone that spent at least 1000 hours into FFT in the 90s alone, and a long time fan of SJRPG.

If this is your 2nd favorite, or 3rd favorite, it will probably still be a game you end up really enjoying.
This could be also said in reverse, anyone who enjoyed Triangle Strategy especially its ground approach of story telling and art style is going to like Tactics Ogre (which had an even darker theme), they really draw a lot of inspiration from TO, sadly TO never had the big influence in the west compare to Japan

Just for a comparison to the Saltiron war between the three faction introduction of Triangle Strategy with Valeria warring state of the three faction introduction of Tactics Ogre

Last edited:
Can you name the protagonist

Seronoa?

He’s pretty basic. Doesn’t really compare to Ramza or Delita. The story in both FFT and Tactics Ogre are far more interesting in general. The characters in this game aren’t really that remarkable on their own.

Last edited:
There is WAY too much dialog and cutscenes for my liking. There is more time spent watching cutscenes than actual gameplay.

Overall, I liked it, but the pacing needed work.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OP, what is the % split between story to gameplay?

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 right now and it feels like 70% gameplay to 30% story...

OP, what is the % split between story to gameplay?

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 right now and it feels like 70% gameplay to 30% story...
Heavy emphasis on story. I don't know a percentage. Might be like 60 / 40 or 70 / 30 story to gameplay. It starts more on the story side too, then slowly balances out a bit. You have optional skirmishes as well, but it's story focused. That's the slow pacing that you need to be prepared for. However, at the end of my 50 hour game, I felt very satisfied with the amount of battles I got to do.

Shifty

The only SRPG I've played is Knights in the Knightmare, so I can say with confidence that it's the best one ever made.

Top Bottom