• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes of Midgard - Season 3 loses the timer and tower defense, improves crafting and exploration

This was available for PlayStation and PC. I believe it's also now available on Xbox and Switch. The Season 3 update is also now available on all platforms.

If you have PS Plus, you might remember getting this 10 player co-op game for free back in May, and then soon discovering that everything was on a timer. You're trying to gather resources, but day turns into night, and now you have to run back to your base because its being attacked. You spent too much time trying to level your gear, and now a giant is attacking your fortress. You spent too much time fighting giants, and now the weather is too cold for you to survive. Whatever you had to do, you were constantly being rushed.

Well, if you still want to play that way, you can. Or you can play the new survival mode, where it's ironically much easier to survive. Enemies might attack your fort, but only if you decide to build one, and you can't lose that way. You still fight giants, but they're found in arenas. Everything takes a lot longer, but allows you to go at your own pace. The class system from the standard game mode has also been completely reworked in survival, and allows you to pick whatever perks you want.

If you got the game for free but didn't like being rushed, you might consider checking it out again. Here's a video going over all of the changes, with timestamps so you can quickly find the topics that interest you most.

As I was reading the other thread about the game on this forum, I noticed this older post:

I picked it up and played a few hours.

I've played this, Don't Starve, and Evolve as far as "survival" games go and all three run into the same problem imo.

They're efficiency racing games. If you're not doing the right things fast enough, the game just overpowers you. That makes the experience very one note.

I think the genre needs to fix that going forward.

They just did. It's nice to see developers care enough to give different types of players different ways to play their game.

Last edited:
Wow, now I might get it. Anyone plays on Switch? How is the online?

PlayStation is pretty smooth when it comes to online play, but you might consider waiting for Switch reviews. You can have two survival worlds saved at a time, and one saga mode world. The worlds seem to be hosted on dedicated servers, so I think you can make changes to the world and they'll exist for other players in your group as well.

Lunarorbit

That's what turned my friends off to this game. I remember saying f it and exploring the world while my buddy was the only one defending he base. That was after reaching a fairly high level. I think every one else in that session wanted to explore and was tired of dying too fast.

It's actually kinda fun so I'll check this new mode out

That's what turned my friends off to this game. I remember saying f it and exploring the world while my buddy was the only one defending he base. That was after reaching a fairly high level. I think every one else in that session wanted to explore and was tired of dying too fast.

It's actually kinda fun so I'll check this new mode out

I hope this update means we'll see more games like this, with higher than 4 player co-op and large randomly generated worlds to explore. I only wish the building was a bigger part of this game from the start, because the small build limit shows the game wasn't made with that sort of thing in mind.

Been playing a fair amount of this lately, and it's pretty impressive how much they were able to stretch the gameplay. There's a lot of content here in this new mode.

Anyone else enjoying this new take on the game?

Top Bottom