• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Troy Baker endorses NFT firm: ‘You can hate, or you can create’

Trogdor1123

Can someone explain a couple nft questions for me?

Once an nft is bought, where does it exist (do you need a server for it or is them supplying it part of the price)? Who is responsible for ensuring it exists? Do nfts share a common connection to each other (through the same block chain)? If the game you bought your nft in shuts down, does the nft cease to exist? Wouldn’t that amount to theft?

I have so many questions, nothing about nfts makes sense to me

hlm666

Once an nft is bought, where does it exist (do you need a server for it or is them supplying it part of the price)? Who is responsible for ensuring it exists? Do nfts share a common connection to each other (through the same block chain)? If the game you bought your nft in shuts down, does the nft cease to exist? Wouldn’t that amount to theft?

read the article linked in my post in this thread (39), it covers what your asking and more.

• It exists as a digital receipt in the "blockchain." I think it might have a link to whatever it is you got.
  • No one is responsible for ensuring it exists. Just the other day some guy sold 1.5 million in Minecraft NFTs, took all the money then deleted everything and went dark lol. It's pretty stupid.
  • No common connection. No common functionality. You own a digital receipt for an item that may or may not even exist.
  • If the game shuts down, you own your receipt. Pretty cool right? (sarcasm)

GymWolf

• It exists as a digital receipt in the "blockchain." I think it might have a link to whatever it is you got.
  • No one is responsible for ensuring it exists. Just the other day some guy sold 1.5 million in Minecraft NFTs, took all the money then deleted everything and went dark lol. It's pretty stupid.
  • No common connection. No common functionality. You own a digital receipt for an item that may or may not even exist.
  • If the game shuts down, you own your receipt. Pretty cool right? (sarcasm)
If this is true, i hope that nobody took offense in what i'm about to say, but whoever buy nft stuff is a legit retarded person.

If this is true, i hope that nobody took offense in what i'm about to say, but whoever buy nft stuff is a legit retarded person.
It's 100% true. It's a token. That's literally all you're buying.

You don't own the IP. You don't own magical video game software that works in every game. Companies would have to program items to work that way across all games, and all game engines, for zero extra money. And they could do that without this NFT receipt system, since they sell you tons of stuff right now. You can't own a JPEG, since it is infinitely copied across the entire internet. You can own a receipt saying your JPEG at a certain link address is "real." But even then, it's not like you own that website address either, or have any influence over whether your JPEG is hosted on it or not. You don't own the actual art in the JPEG either, just your stupid "token."

Last edited:
Top Bottom