• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Troy Baker endorses NFT firm: ‘You can hate, or you can create’

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's about having a shared distribution database between multiple party's where previously you used to have separate private tables which could have mismatches, I think the lost revenue is largely overblown and you could use other matching solutions to fix it. I don't know what solution works best.

I need to look into what Mediachain were/are offering before Spotify bought them. http://www.mediachain.io/

Thanks for the link; looks like they would use blockchain to "record" a transaction, meaning the transaction of uploading media to prove ownership.

It's interesting but it doesn't "solve streaming" or anything like that. And since it's on ETH each "transaction" of recording ownership costs an enormous amount of energy, and thus money..

If they used this to pay artists, again large transaction fees.

That problem is going to severely limit anything ETH based.

It is interesting though.

Keihart

Because its a fucking scam that steals from other people (a ton of NFT’s out there are just copy-pasted from people’s work on art sites like reddit or deviantart) and the sites that host these refuse to actually take these down. Its infringement in the worst kind of way.

As for the NFT value itself: imagine you got married but your wife keeps getting fucked by other guys and theres literally notjing you can do about it. The nft is your marriage certificate.
Maybe that is why the NFT's craze is being backed up so much, might be a good way to gather support for those stupid internet laws that would allow goverments to track and strike people for copyright infringement even on memes.

Stop giving this guy money and hiring him. He obviously makes very poor life choices, give someone else a shot, someone who won’t put their foot in their mouth for at least 10 years.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
He was de-platformed here? For what? People post videos from a guy in the OT who literally runs a secondary Neo Nazi Bitchute channel.
A few posters on here chewed my arsehole out because I posted one of his YouTube videos. They said to me because of his Cyberpunk 2077 review his content was no longer valued.

SJRB

Gold Member
Troy Baker has won too a tad too many awards resulting in a bad case of megalomania.

With an ironclad defensive strategy to boot. "If you disagree, you're a hater". Even though evidence against this NFT fraud scheme is piling up.

I mean, where do you even start with people like that?

It's a digital file with a one-of-a-kind identity based on blockchain technology, meaning it's 'unique', even though it can still essentially be flawlessly copied to all intents and purposes. It exploits the simple human desire to own something which nobody else has and pure good old-fashioned gullibility in one fell swoop. And people are getting angry about it being introduced into gaming so soon after publishers got the message that we're sour on loot boxes and the like, because this could potentially re-ignite the pissy microtransaction bragging rights garbage craze all over again.

Anyone interested in a NFT of this quote? Bidding starts at $10,000

How about .0002376 of a Bitcoin?

reksveks

"solve streaming"
Sorry I meant the royalty issues in streaming. Its a order of magnitude difference problem in video games at the moment just due to the fact that you don't have as many people producing sanples/assets for games and obviously people using those samples.

Yeah, obviously they would need to ensure that they use something that is quick enough and does not have the stupidly high transaction costs to make it unfeasible.

I was just trying to figure out what problem they initially tried to solve before the pivot to the metaverse/nft. That's my assumption that's how it went down within the company.

bender

What time is it?
Troy Baker's always been a bit of a tool. Lookup his involvement on the Silent Hill HD collection.

Thanks for the link; looks like they would use blockchain to "record" a transaction, meaning the transaction of uploading media to prove ownership.

It's interesting but it doesn't "solve streaming" or anything like that. And since it's on ETH each "transaction" of recording ownership costs an enormous amount of energy, and thus money..

If they used this to pay artists, again large transaction fees.

That problem is going to severely limit anything ETH based.

It is interesting though.
My impression is that since network resistance for cryptos like eth and btc raises with the computing power the best solution would be to restrict the access to mining to a few select places in major cities... Problem is that this is going against the whole crypto anarchist mentra (I'm not sure that's relevant to most people).

So in the end we would need a central controlling body anyway.

ManaByte

SmartSelect_20220114-183450_Twitter.jpg

IntentionalPun

My impression is that since network resistance for cryptos like eth and btc raises with the computing power the best solution would be to restrict the access to mining to a few select places in major cities... Problem is that this is going against the whole crypto anarchist mentra (I'm not sure that's relevant to most people).

So in the end we would need a central controlling body anyway.
Well it just takes an enormous amount of energy either way to do the type of crypto ETH represents. And that energy, costs money... major cities? It'd cost even more. It's also capped at a certain number a year... it's all just.. I dunno, hard to think it's suitable for any system like providing proof of copywrite.

People for whatever reason just don't seem to be switching to the "green" crypto.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't understand why some people are so upset with nft. Just some cosmetics, who gives a shit.
I’m upset enough that I cannot get whatever cosmetic I want in Paladins without going through their lootboxes system... Now add to that’s artificial exclusivity or limitation of content on top

nkarafo

I guess i'm old or just stupid.

I have no idea what this is or how it works. As if NFTs weren't confusing enough, now theres voice NFTs. I wish i could understand it so i could hate it like everyone else.

IntentionalPun

I don't understand why some people are so upset with nft. Just some cosmetics, who gives a shit.
Well a single NFT transaction takes 238.22 kilowatt hours. That's like running refrigerator for 6 months.

There are NFT platforms not like that, and that's what most games are using, as it would be insane to actually pay the money it takes to "mint" an NFT for every cosmetic (it's upwards of $200 at most places), but that's where a lot of NFT hate comes from. For whatever reason most NFT platforms are using the insanely expensive/costly to the environment EHT platform.

Tezos which Ubisoft uses, each transaction is about as much as this post will take.

Beyond that people selling people on NFTs are pretty grifty.. there's lots of money laundering allegedly involved and all kinds of shady shit.

Also it may encourage games to do more pay to win MTX, which nobody really likes.

I do agree if it's just pubs attaching the energy efficient NFts to cosmetics, I don't personally give a shit, but there's a reason the term "NFT" is so loaded and gets such a visceral reaction.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I can see this BITING artist looking for a quick buck/royalties, in the ass in a not so distant future. Think patent trolling and copyright abuse.

IntentionalPun

Maybe some day I'll understand why people are willing to pay so much money for NFTs.
Well you see; people are willing to pay so much for NFTs because OTHER people are willing to pay so much for NFTs, those other people are willing to pay so much for NFTs, because more other people are willing to pay so much for NFTs.

AmuroChan

Well you see; people are willing to pay so much for NFTs because OTHER people are willing to pay so much for NFTs, those other people are willing to pay so much for NFTs, because more other people are willing to pay so much for NFTs.

Well, I'm definitely not in that group because I have zero inclination to spend even a dollar on NFTs. I don't care if everyone else around me is crazy for them. I'm not tempted even one bit to participate.

IntentionalPun

Well, I'm definitely not in that group because I have zero inclination to spend even a dollar on NFTs. I don't care if everyone else around me is crazy for them. I'm not tempted even one bit to participate.
It's all just speculative purchasing.

Buy this thing because it may go up in value; then it's somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy because when you buy a cheap NFT, you are going to sell it for more (but it's still cheap, so that next guy goes 'hey a cheap NFT, i'll buy that in case it goes up'). then it becomes a slightly less cheap NFT.. and the next guy sells it for a bit more.. "hey, the value is going up" says the next guy, and they all self fulfill the idea that this speculative "nothing" is actually gaining value.

It's really not that much different than regular crypto coins; think of them as the decorative coin version of crpyto coins.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'm so confused. I am across the latest Dreamcast guy youtube video, someone NFT'd his face/logo or something? and can profit off his image and he can't stop it? I don't understand. But this all sounds terrible. and a rebirth of the old west, where there are no sufficient laws and protections.

Does Troy even understand what he is getting into?

Some stupid billionaires will doom us all.

Last edited:

synce

All this talk about NFTs revolutionizing gaming, and not a single company has mentioned giving you the ability to resell your games. All you'll get is DRM'd jpegs.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

That's one way to basically say "You're either with us or against us," while trying to shut down any opposing thoughts as merely "hating."

It's just a rhetorical device and has no substance whatsoever. So if you're getting upset over it, just realize it shows he's acting like a fool with no argumentative stance to support what he's doing.

Just explain what the real value is of what you're selling and you won't have to say stupid garbage like this Troy. Talk about being up your own rear.

Top Bottom