• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Crime |OT|

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hi GAF, with their being two hot cases at the moment; the Delphi affidavit and Idaho quadruple slaying, I thought I’d make an OT for all true crime discussion.

This can be a place to talk about your favourite solved, unresolved or ongoing cases.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Delphi affidavit;

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/court-documents-released-delphi-murder-204607543.html

Depending on the evidence that comes out at trial, this could be a botched police case. From the earliest point in the investigation they’ve known the suspect was on the area, had eye witness testimony and a bullet on scene that they could have matched at any time.

It’ll be interesting to know why it has taken 5 years for police to act.

The FBI have been involved from the early days as well, making it even stranger.

The Delphi affidavit;

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/court-documents-released-delphi-murder-204607543.html

Depending on the evidence that comes out at trial, this could be a botched police case. From the earliest point in the investigation they’ve known the suspect was on the area, had eye witness testimony and a bullet on scene that they could have matched at any time.

It’ll be interesting to know why it has taken 5 years for police to act.

The FBI have been involved from the early days as well, making it even stranger.
Huh, that's fantastic news. I just read up on the case a month or so ago but had no idea they'd captured a suspect. Hope the families can finally find some peace.

Jennings

Typing this on a phone, expect typos.

I refuse to rank criminals and their crimes in order of favorites. But I do find certain investigations much more interesting than others, especially when it comes to an investigative team's ability or inability to identify a suspect and seal the deal.

One thing I've been doing a lot in the last few years is watching interrogation videos, and many of those stand out for a variety of reasons. Most of my interest here is because I enjoy seeing someone's lies dismantled piece by piece, and I enjoy watching the interrogators turn the screws on them in real-time.

There are many popular interrogations out there on Youtube, and for every one there probably half a dozen or more major write-ups dedicated to explaining the case in detail and deconstructing the techniques used for the viewer, it really helps give laymen like me so much more appreciation and understanding for every statement, question, positioning, delay, and body language employed by the detectives. Unfortunately there's also a whole bunch of utter bullshit "analysis" channels out there that rely on psychological psuedoscience and profiling to try to explain what is going to a person's mind at any moment, instead of describing specifics techniques being used on screen, but intuitive viewers will be able to tell the mumbo jumbo from reality soon enough.

Among the popular, more noob-friendly interrogations on Youtube are those involving LAPD officer Stephanie Lazarus over a cold-case murder she committed in the 80s over a love triangle. This interrogation notable because she was lied to about her reason for having to come down to an interrogation room near holding cells where weapons weren't permitted, and she didn't even realize she was the focus of an interrogation until they flat out told her. She's a fucking nutball and grows visibly more stressed as the questions continue.

Another good interrogation is for a Canadian murderer, Colonel Russel Willams, who shows up with a big smile and claims of wanting to help, only to have his lies systematically broken down throughout questioning as more and more evidence is brought to his attettion. By the end of questioning he's helping them find bodies on maps.

Then there are cases like serial killer BTK Dennis Rader who was such a complete moron he managed to get himself caught decades later after taunting police over an article in the paper, and started a dialogue with them that resulted in him actually believing detectives when he asked if they'd be able to trace a floppy disk back to him if he sent ione to them... which the idiot actually did. It led them to a church where he was some sort of higher up. This guy carried on killing for years by sheer luck, because he made an astounding number number of mistakes along the way that just never led to him.

It also never fails to bring me joy to see cold cases solved through the modern technique of familial DNA matching using public resources. The first huge case solved with this technique, and only a few years ago, was for a guy labeled EARONS, the east area rapist. A bit about him:

Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. is an American serial killer, serial rapist, burglar, and former police officer who committed at least 13 murders, 51 rapes, and 120 burglaries across California between 1974 and 1986.

Last edited:
I've been fascinated with Jack the Ripper since I was a little kid. The level of violence inflicted on his victims is insane, especially compared to other murders at the time.
UY6ABHe.jpg
Philip Sugden's book on the case is the best imo, thorough and open minded. I wish Fincher or someone would make a proper movie out of it though, the ones we have are pretty inaccurate and the main investigator, inspector Abberline, is always portrayed like some kind of drunk or addict.

drganon

The casefile podcast is cool if you're into true crime stuff. It doesn't tell you who did it at first, so it unfolds like a mystery until the end.

Jennings

In True Crime news:

Recently a true crime podcast did a lot more than just morbidly pick through the bones of the dead for clicks, it actually directly helped set two men free from a wrongful conviction after 25 years in prison.

Podcast uncovers new evidence​

Clark’s exoneration came a year and a half after investigative podcasters Susan Simpson and Jacinda Davis began scrutinizing his case in their Proof true-crime podcast in 2021, and interviewed two of the state’s key witnesses.

Through their investigation, new evidence emerged which “shattered the state’s theory of Clark’s involvement” in Bowling’s death and the podcasters flagged his case to the Georgia Innocence Project, according to its news release.

The first witness, a woman who lived near Bowling’s home was interviewed by police, who claimed she alleged the teens confessed they had “planned the murder of Bowling because he knew too much about a prior theft Storey and Clark had committed,” according to the Georgia Innocence Project.

Based on her testimony, Storey was charged with murder and Clark was arrested as a co-conspirator despite having a corroborated alibi, stating he was home on the night of the shooting, which was supported by two witnesses, according to Clark’s motion for a new trial.

But the woman revealed in the podcast, police coerced her into giving false statements and threatened to take her children away from her if she failed to comply, according to the Georgia Innocence Project.

Last edited:

Jennings

Summary on the Idaho slayings;

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/idaho-murders-investigators-thanksgiving-day-205604233.html

4 students murdered in the early hours of the morning in the same house, whilst 2 weren’t attacked and seemingly slept through. A real audacious crime and I’m split between the theories that this is a seasoned criminal, a stalker/jilted party that’s not been caught yet due to his own fortune.
An arrest has been made! I really hope they arrested the right person. For a while it appeared that there were so few viable leads (amongst tens of thousands of tips to sort through) for so long that the crime might have gone unsolved.

Last edited:
Yeah, been following the Delphi and Idaho cases.
I kinds find the Delphi one more interesting.
The possibility that Keegan Kline or his father Tony were involved with that whole catfishing page where they agreed to meet at the bridge that day is intriguing.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I get nauseated reading about cases like that of John List or Richard Gene Simmons...

Sleep with the lights on after reading about those

Top Bottom