• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Question that may make me sound really dumb:

how did the guy who shot Ray get the police rubber bullet rounds? It seemed like it was setting up a cop as the attempted killer but then it was just some guy. Was that ever explained and I missed it?

how did the guy who shot Ray get the police rubber bullet rounds? It seemed like it was setting up a cop as the attempted killer but then it was just some guy. Was that ever explained and I missed it?

Just a cheap tactic to manipulate the viewers expectations. "The main character is dead!...or is he?" I half expected the same thing to happen with motorcycle cop.

You can buy rubber Buckshot online from what I've seen. So it's not too outlandish to assume he stocked up on it that way.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The formula thus far is: broken characters + dark genre + influential locale = season

Season 1 = broken characters + occult + deep south Louisiana
Season 2 = broken characters + neo noir + LA

Season 3 is probably going to return to darker themes. I'm guessing dark fantasy and somewhere cold for a change; up north New York or remote place in Montana, North Dakota or Minnesota.

Man Baltimore would be great.....I can see it now......

Squalor

Pizzolatto wouldn't dare touch North Dakota because of Fargo.

I wouldn't mind a New Orleans setting, though. He seems to have a much better feel for the "South," anyway.
Man Baltimore would be great.....I can see it now......
Do you want Pizzolatto to write more prostitutes? Because that's how you get Pizzolatto to write more prostitutes.

Anyway, he wouldn't dare put a police-investigation television show in Baltimore. The Wire comparisons would never end.

Also, there are too many black people in Baltimore. He can't write minorities. It would be abysmal.

KingKong

How about we replace Pizzolato with David Milch. Come on HBO, give the real talent the money instead of cancelling his shows. What does he have to do, adapt a sci fi series?

Robot Pants

Really who cares though

No they don't explain it

Platy

Glad I didn't entered this thread before ...

Loved the season, noir to the bone !

That kitchen scene was the most noir scene in history to not feature whisky, smoking or a dark light

Given who he was, why did he go through the effort to use rubber bullets? The whole thing looks dumber in that light

Finally caught the last two episodes. Episode 7 was actually kinda good, but then the finale was just garbage. Might have been the worst episode of the entire season, which to me speaks volumes.

I have no faith in Pizzaman to ever deliver anything good again, so I suggest Nicolas Cage and Chris Tucker play the lead detectives for season 3, because fuck it, at least that would be hilariously amazing.

Finally. We get the Soundtrack we deserve:

All The Gold In California - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

HBO released a 14-track compilation featuring music from both season one and season two on August 14, on CD and iTunes .

The Handsome Family's gothic Far From Any Road, which opens season one, is present and correct in its full glory, as it Leonard Cohen's changeable Nevermind, which soundtracks Colin Farrell's drooping moustache in series 2.

While there is a change from the rural roots to the urban electronic in the landscapes of the shows, the production from T Bone Burnett ensures a unity of tone that delivers a satisfying experience.

Peppered throughout are the tracks of Lera Lynn - the American singer who performs in the dive bar frequented by Ray Velcoro and Frank Semyon meet - who would have graced either series musicly.

The show's over for now, but the music remains and, thankfully, sometimes we get the soundtracks we deserve.
Home Box Office True Detective
Season one stars: Woody Harrelson pictured with co-star Matthew McConaughey in True Detective
Full track listing:

1 Nevermind Leonard Cohen

2 The Only Thing Worth Fighting For Lera Lynn

3 All the Gold In California Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

4 Lately Lera Lynn

5 What a Way To Go John Paul White

6 My Least Favorite Life Lera Lynn

7 Far From Any Road The Handsome Family

8 Risk Alexandra Savior

9 Sign of the Judgment Cassandra Wilson

10 Rocks and Gravel Bob Dylan

11 A Church In Ruins Lera Lynn

12 Intentional Injury Bonnie "Prince" Billy

13 It Only Takes One Shot Lera Lynn

14 The Angry River S.I. Istwa & Father John Misty

Guys, I have an idea for Season 3:

It stars Nick Cave and Lera Lynn as two broken down musicians, one a cynical old bitter man, the other a broken bird of a singer, who must team up and investigate the murder of a legendary producer in Tennessee.

They are the True Detectives.
nick_cave.jpg
ll-live-high-res-by-jamie-platus-jpg.jpg

Guys, I have an idea for Season 3:

It stars Nick Cave and Lera Lynn as two broken down musicians, one a cynical old bitter man, the other a broken bird of a singer, who must team up and investigate the murder of a legendary producer in Tennessee.

They are the True Detectives.

They have special medallions, which when activated together, combines their detective power into the truest detective ever,
Stan

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so, just watched that last episode and it was kinda....good? I mean, there was some decent tension there. Sure, it's all super cliched and predictable nihilistic shit, but Farrell and Vaughn storylines were much better than all the insipid blandness we had until that point. It's like Pizzolatto suddenly had a stroke and wrote a good episode for once. Still, the bar has been lowered so much it can only get better for S3

so, just watched that last episode and it was kinda....good? I mean, there was some decent tension there. Sure, it's all super cliched and predictable nihilistic shit, but Farrell and Vaughn storylines were much better than all the insipid blandness we had until that point. It's like Pizzolatto suddenly had a stroke and wrote a good episode for once. Still, the bar has been lowered so much it can only get better for S3

It's hard for me to call it a good episode for them, especially for Ray, given the badge, the ridiculous salute, and Ray's inexplicable decision to drive off into the forest. Not to mention the SIGNAL LOST "drama".

Seriously, is there any reason why he went into the forest? I feel like it just went from a shot of him driving on the highway to a shot of his car entering the forest.

Oh, right, the dream. Deep stuff.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
True Detective Season 3 should take place in Middle Earth as Hugo Weaving, Viggo Mortensen, and Commanding Officer Ian McKellen have to figure out the sudden influx of sacrificial decapitations, mutilation, and trees missing from their forests.

Sean Bean guest stars in the opening episode for 72 seconds before he's killed.

True Detective Season 3 should take place in Middle Earth as Hugo Weaving, Viggo Mortensen, and Commanding Officer Ian McKellen have to figure out the sudden influx of sacrificial decapitations, mutilation, and trees missing from their forests.

Sean Bean guest stars in the opening episode for 72 seconds before he's killed.

Sean Bean as Stanomir, twin brother with a heart of gold.

coleco

- You realize you are a horrible cast decision. You obviously are ilegitimate.
- We both know that is painfully obvious. My god, nothing to look foward in my life.

Haha fucking Pizzolatto.

Squalor

That father-son Velcro sound, hahaha.
- You realize you are a horrible cast decision. You obviously are ilegitimate.
- We both know that is painfully obvious. My god, nothing to look foward in my life.

Haha fucking Pizzolatto.
Of course it turned out that he was the father, though, even though the kid looks nothing like either parent.

coleco

Of course it turned out that he was the father, though, even though the kid looks nothing like either parent.

Pizzolatto's subtle way of misleading the audience. Wouldn't surprise me if he initially thought of casting an asian or black kid for the role. What a hack.

Top Bottom