• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

nick nacc

Banned
Oh my GOD the Trade Federation! So fucking perfect.

I think its my most "clever" quip on the whole plot of this show.

I am so glad about the positive remarks! It took a lot of time to make, maybe I should start a Patreon or something? I want to be able to do the whole season.

I think its my most "clever" quip on the whole plot of this show.

I am so glad about the positive remarks! It took a lot of time to make, maybe I should start a Patreon or something? I want to be able to do the whole season.

I'd love to see the next ones, absolutely loved it.

EDIT: Just rewatched it. The raid scene is so good.

Also, not sure if you do all the voices, but someone has a very Lemongrab/Justin Roiland thing going on, it's perfect.

I tweeted it to Matt Zoller Seitz and he retweeted it. Hope it gets you some hits!

Watching the finale right now. Then this came on screen.

yk5azQI.png

In show: A greyhound bus terminal.
In reality: San Pedro World Cruise terminal bus lot.

I used to work in that bus lot as the supervisor dispatching transfer from the airport and shore ex stuff. I spent years of my life where where they are standing. I would recognize it anywhere.

Watching the finale right now. Then this came on screen.

yk5azQI.png

In show: A greyhound bus terminal.
In reality: San Pedro World Cruise terminal bus lot.

I used to work in that bus lot as the supervisor dispatching transfer from the airport and shore ex stuff. I spent years of my life where where they are standing. I would recognize it anywhere.

It happens. Live in California long enough and you see a lot of shit that's supposed to be other places. I laugh when small towns in the south are actually places in the Central Valley.

nick nacc

Banned
Okay I am for real working on episode 2 now. Some other shows on my hitlist (doesn't mean I don't like them I just feel like it would be entertaining)

1.Masterchef
2.Hannibal
3.Walking dead pretty much writes itself.
4.movies.

any ideas or requests just comment on youtube.

like, subscribe, all that bullshit lol.

Also I would use help on the channel name.

Couldn't find a thread safe from spoilers to ask this. Anyway, I only watched one episode and didn't like it much. I've heard numerous impressions about the season but nothing since it ended. So I guess my question is, does the conclusion of the story make the rough patches worth sitting through?

Okay I am for real working on episode 2 now. Some other shows on my hitlist (doesn't mean I don't like them I just feel like it would be entertaining)

1.Masterchef
2.Hannibal
3.Walking dead pretty much writes itself.
4.movies.

any ideas or requests just comment on youtube.

like, subscribe, all that bullshit lol.

Also I would use help on the channel name.

As a Hannibal fan, I'd love to see you do one of that, but hope you can do more True Detective, too!

fatchris

Couldn't find a thread safe from spoilers to ask this. Anyway, I only watched one episode and didn't like it much. I've heard numerous impressions about the season but nothing since it ended. So I guess my question is, does the conclusion of the story make the rough patches worth sitting through?

No.

The show has a handful of cool scenes. That's it. Not only is the plot incredibly confusing and convoluted throughout, but the ending is nothing but a bunch of cliches and melodrama.

It's garbage.

Kill3r7

Absolutely not.

Pizzolatto's subtle way of misleading the audience. Wouldn't surprise me if he initially thought of casting an asian or black kid for the role. What a hack.

This was the "twist" / AHA moment of this season. Just like the twist last year was that the Lawnmower man was someone they met before.

lol. Velcro's sperm literally Velcro's to any woman's egg.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Amir0x

Banned
Short answer: No.

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously. This second season is such a fucking let down that it still makes me a bit angry to even mention it. I had problems with the first season, especially the ending - but to think the fall would be this insane. I truly have no clue if I'm even remotely interested in a third season. I'm genuinely of the opinion the first season might have been a fluke now.

Just droppin by to shoutout to my homie Stan.

HpAN3kE.gif

It happens. Live in California long enough and you see a lot of shit that's supposed to be other places. I laugh when small towns in the south are actually places in the Central Valley.

Heh. My favorite is The Office which takes place in Pennsylvania is filmed all over the San Fernando Valley. If people knew that they would easily notice how weirdly sunny and warm it is.

You know, there's a solid movie here. Excise like, the best parts out of the eight episodes, you'd probably get a solid 2.5 hour bleak crime drama.

Like, Paul's girlfriend? Frank's wife's uterus? Mysterious masked person setting the car on fire leading to nothing?

Like cut out every sub plot. End with Ray escaping and Frank's walk in the desert.

nick nacc

Banned
You know, there's a solid movie here. Excise like, the best parts out of the eight episodes, you'd probably get a solid 2.5 hour bleak crime drama.

Like, Paul's girlfriend? Frank's wife's uterus? Mysterious masked person setting the car on fire leading to nothing?

Like cut out every sub plot. End with Ray escaping and Frank's walk in the desert.

maybe. I just don't know if this story is worth telling. Like I can't really tell you what this whole thing was about.

nick nacc

Banned
That says more about you than anything else. I never had a problem understanding what was going on.

Me neither. It's just that if someone asks you what this season is about....what do you say lol. It would take a bit to explain it, and it isn't something that most people would be interested in watching by the time you are done.

Robot Pants

Yea don't waste your time.
Since the show ended I haven't even wasted a second thinking about it, I just completely forgot about it because it's a completely forgettable and awful story.

And I liked the first episode best of all of them I think. Maybe episode 5.
But if you didn't even like that one, yea don't waste your time.

That says more about you than anything else. I never had a problem understanding what was going on.

There's a reason why articles explaining what's going on in TD S2 were some of the most popular pieces written about this season.

The story and how the narrative was constructed was very poor. Lots of information, never really know what is important and what isn't, callbacks to events that happened episodes ago that we didn't know were critical, etc.

And, at the end, very little of it mattered.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Los Angeles Convention Center is an airport in every other movie.

Frog-fu

Banned
Here is what Tarantino thinks of True Detective
Have you seen True Detective?
I tried to watch the first episode of season one, and I didn’t get into it at all. I thought it was really boring. And season two looks awful. Just the trailer — all these handsome actors trying to not be handsome and walking around looking like the weight of the world is on their shoulders. It’s so serious, and they’re so tortured, trying to look miserable with their mustaches and grungy clothes.

Now, the HBO show I loved was Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom. That was the only show that I literally watched three times. I would watch it at seven o’clock on Sunday, when the new one would come on. Then after it was over, I’d watch it all over again. Then I would usually end up watching it once during the week, just so I could listen to the dialogue one more time.

lol

berzeli

Banned
Man, I know Quentin has weird taste, but jesus christ he watched the entirety of The Newsroom 3 times? That's just masochistic.

Tbh honest he has a point about the great dialogue. It is just wonderful to listen to even if the show around it has some issues.

Also it's a bit weird to make my first post in this topic about True Dick all about defending The Newsroom so;
I just caught up with the show two days ago. I wish I hadn't.

hydruxo

Don't waste your time. I wish I hadn't.

Kadayi

Banned
There's a reason why articles explaining what's going on in TD S2 were some of the most popular pieces written about this season.

Surprisingly vast swathes of people don't bother with articles about shows. Pretty much everyone I work with is mad for game of thrones for instance, but I'm hard pressed to think of anytime someones banged on about this or that article they've read. Even when the internet was blowing up about the
rape of Sansa
no one was jumping on the outrage train in the office.

It's easy to mistake what happens on the internet (and those who are active participants in it) as reflective of a wider reality, but it's not really the case.

Also WTF QT....

big ander

Man, I know Quentin has weird taste, but jesus christ he watched the entirety of The Newsroom 3 times? That's just masochistic.

It kinda makes sense to me in that, based on what he thinks TV criticism is like, he's still back in the 90s or 70s or 50s when it comes to TV. he treats it as radio with pictures

Frog-fu

Banned
What does he think about TV criticism.

I think people will be surprised to hear that. The Newsroom’s reviews were all over the place. Sorkin even apologized for some of it.

Who the fuck reads TV reviews? Jesus fucking Christ. TV critics review the pilot. Pilots of shows suck. Why would it be surprising that I like the best dialogue writer in the business?

Legit laughed out loud.

big ander

What does he think about TV criticism.

heh yep what Frog-fu posted. There are a lot of legitimate complaints to be made about TV criticism--that far too many reviews are still mostly recapping, that they focus only on theme and character and not form/style--but that he thinks TV reviewers only review the pilot only shows he has no idea what he's talking about. the entire conundrum right now is based around the fact that critics are tackling every episode and have to find things to say about each one individually and as part of a whole.

Top Bottom