• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Rust Cohle was a great character because he had a great arc. Now that he found hope again I don't see where they could take him that would be as compelling...

Fisty

So I'm finishing up S2, have one more episode to go. WTF Pizza?

First off, that McAdams/Farrel hook-up was COMPLETELY UNEARNED. Those two characters had almost zero meaningful interaction the entire season and got a 15 minute will they/won't they scene because they were bored I guess? You have to make us care about the characters and the relationship they built, seriously Harrelson and McConaughey would have actually earned a love scene and I wouldn't have batted an eye. Not to mention McAdams doing her detatched Rust impression is just turkey, not sure if it's the script (it is), the acting (it is), or the direction (it is) but it's just not good.

The gay soldier thing was overwrought and his character was just flush-worthy, seeing him get blasted was pretty much what should have happened in episode 2 or 3. He was about as integral to the sequence of events as James from Twin Peaks

I actually came into the season doubting Vaughn the most, but besides a moment or two from Farrell, Vince Vaughn is practically carrying the entire show. It's a by the numbers story thread, but it's the only one that doesn't fall flat

Unless this last episode turns it all around, they fell hard here. I would still rate the show a good 7/10 though, and if you pretend that Season 1 never existed, Season 2 is decent enough.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So I'm finishing up S2, have one more episode to go. WTF Pizza?

First off, that McAdams/Farrel hook-up was COMPLETELY UNEARNED. Those two characters had almost zero meaningful interaction the entire season and got a 15 minute will they/won't they scene because they were bored I guess? You have to make us care about the characters and the relationship they built, seriously Harrelson and McConaughey would have actually earned a love scene and I wouldn't have batted an eye. Not to mention McAdams doing her detatched Rust impression is just turkey, not sure if it's the script (it is), the acting (it is), or the direction (it is) but it's just not good.

The gay soldier thing was overwrought and his character was just flush-worthy, seeing him get blasted was pretty much what should have happened in episode 2 or 3. He was about as integral to the sequence of events as James from Twin Peaks

I actually came into the season doubting Vaughn the most, but besides a moment or two from Farrell, Vince Vaughn is practically carrying the entire show. It's a by the numbers story thread, but it's the only one that doesn't fall flat

Unless this last episode turns it all around, they fell hard here. I would still rate the show a good 7/10 though, and if you pretend that Season 1 never existed, Season 2 is decent enough.

'Everything is fucking'.

Fisty

'Everything is fucking'.

barney-punches-wall.gif

I skipped this week's Westworld to finished up TD S2. Fucking robbed.

"Shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms as being connected not just to Caspere but prefiguring Caspere? In a casual sense. I'm saying, do you think that Osip could've done Caspere?"

That kind of clunky, weird-ass dialogue is all over this season. It's fucking rough.

Fisty

"Shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms as being connected not just to Caspere but prefiguring Caspere? In a casual sense. I'm saying, do you think that Osip could've done Caspere?"

That kind of clunky, weird-ass dialogue is all over this season. It's fucking rough.

I'd have to look back on it, but McAdams gives a little monologue or something (maybe with her sister?) where she's all shoe gazing and philosophizing. It was a decent length, and when she finished, I was like... wtf did that even mean. It's like weird word puzzles that don't actually mean anything

Edit: here's part-
“Those moments, they stare back at you. You don’t remember them, they remember you.”

TheOddOne

- EW: True Detective season 3 revived, David Milch joins team.
After two years off the air and plenty of speculation about its future, HBO’s True Detective is making some progress behind the scenes toward a new season.

EW has exclusively learned that creator Nic Pizzolatto has penned at least the first two episodes for a potential third edition of the acclaimed anthology crime drama.

We have also learned that Emmy-winning writer-producer David Milch — the mind behind dramas such as Deadwood and NYPD Blue — is coming on board to work with Pizzolatto.

The extent of Pizzolatto and Milch’s collaboration is still early days and not yet formalized. Obviously, Milch’s experience as a writer will be a key component, but for the record he’s not expected to serve as the True Detective showrunner (at this stage, there is no specified season 3 showrunner). Also keep in mind a third season has also not yet been greenlit, so new episodes are far from certain.

Top Bottom