• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s Trade Pullout (TPP) Roils Rural America (Politico)

Helscream

Banned
Delighted the TPP went down in flames from an Australian perspective.

Can't believe they were even thinking about the ISDS after all the shit that went down with Phillip Morris and the Hong Kong trade agreement.

Can just imagine the US pharmaceutical lobby trying to drag down the health care system in Australia and New Zealand through nuisance litigation.

TPP is a anti-Sovereignty deal made to benefit the 1%. Pharmacopeia especially will rape and pillage anything it can get its hands on. Glad to see an Aussie (as well as the Zealander) woke on this bullshit.

Game Guru

I'm still curious on what some of ya'll wanna do to help these farmers.

Easy. Make a trade deal that actually focuses on helping the United States' Agriculture Industry that doesn't end up extending America's outdated intellectual property laws and America's corporate power. The prices of pharmaceuticals in the United States need to lower to the levels the rest of the world has for them instead of raising the prices of pharmaceuticals in the rest of the world to the price that the United States demands from its citizens.

BasicMath

Beautifully crafted narrative. Everything from "Look at what the evil TRUMP did. How could he?!" in the title as if he was the only one to be against it. To the glossing over or outright ignoring the absolutely terrible​ parts of the deal. My favorite, though, was how they got a nice perfect victim in farmers and just ran with that all the way through.
The copyright, pharmaceutical and ceding of national power to corporations were full stop provisions for anyone who actually read the documents as they released. I for one am not a fan of letting corporations sue governments for denying them business opportunities, third world countries paying US drug prices or the awful US intellectual property system becoming the global standard.
Yep. Corporate Democrat Trash and Republicans want us to forget about that though. Another both sides issue.

Also worth pointing out that the NAFTA tribunals have never ruled against the US.

mshckd.gif

The bullshit that Philip Morris tried to pull on Australia and Uruguay were also two of the more egregious examples of attempting to abuse the tribunals. The TPP actually contained a specific provision excluding the tobacco companies and so they switched from support to opposition. Funny how that works.

Condom

And what specific powers were those?
I know you already know what he was talking about Piecake and you know he knows what specific powers he meant. I don't understand why you still ask this question as a gotcha? Pretty obvious behavior.

Anyway it's standard now: trade courts that go above national law. The stupid thing is that America can ignore everything because it is America and because American law trumps all. So in essence it only directly fucks everyone else in favor of US monster multinationals.

Didn't TPP have some nasty copyright laws--like, game mods would be illegal? Or am I imagining that.

It basically made all members adopt the copyright laws of the United States. The main reason was so US Companies could enforce copyright claims in places like Vietnam where counterfeit/knock off products is a huge industry.

Other

That does seem to be a running theme

The running theme being it's stupid to expect people of other nations who avoided being negatively affected by a corporatist neoliberal treaty forced upon them by another nation to want or feel obligated to provide sympathy and support to citizens and businessmen of the defeated imperialist nation who were adversely affected by the treaties defeat when said citizens and businessmen did not care one whit about them and their issues or intended to gleefully use the treaty to wring profit out of them. Who among us should give a rats ass about the few of you when you so clearly would much rather feed off of all of us.

Piecake

I know you already know what he was talking about Piecake and you know he knows what specific powers he meant. I don't understand why you still ask this question as a gotcha? Pretty obvious behavior.

Anyway it's standard now: trade courts that go above national law. The stupid thing is that America can ignore everything because it is America and because American law trumps all. So in essence it only directly fucks everyone else in favor of US monster multinationals.

Then his point makes no sense, and neither does yours.

Those tribunals enforce the agreed upon terms of the treaty. That's it. They do not enforce American law. Corporations can bring suit if they think a nation is violating the treaty. If the tribunal agrees with the corporation, then that corporation will be awarded with a settlement.

If the nation doesn't like it, then they should not have agreed to the treaty in the first place, or they can simply back out of that treaty. Saying crap like tribunals gives scary new powers, take away a nation's sovereignty, or simply spread American law throughout the world is just rather absurd.

I mean, what do you think a treaty is? It is an agreement where nation's agree to give up some part of their sovereignty for mutual benefit. Instead of governments bringing suit against other governments who violate the treaty, it is the corporations who are doing it. And like I said previously, it seems like a more politically viable choice.

patapuf

Americans should definetly mourn the TPP. That was a fantastic deal for them.

I doubt the rest of the world will. In fact, given how quickly the rest of the world moved after it was dead, it didn't.

numble

Then his point makes no sense, and neither does yours.

Those tribunals enforce the agreed upon terms of the treaty. That's it. They do not enforce American law. Corporations can bring suit if they think a nation is violating the treaty. If the tribunal agrees with the corporation, then that corporation will be awarded with a settlement.

If the nation doesn't like it, then they should not have agreed to the treaty in the first place, or they can simply back out of that treaty. Saying crap like tribunals gives scary new powers, take away a nation's sovereignty, or simply spread American law throughout the world is just rather absurd.

I mean, what do you think a treaty is? It is an agreement where nation's agree to give up some part of their sovereignty for mutual benefit. Instead of governments bringing suit against other governments who violate the treaty, it is the corporations who are doing it. And like I said previously, it seems like a more politically viable choice.

Argument A: Our country should not agree to this treaty because its provisions takes away our sovereignty in certain important aspects.

Response: If the nation doesn't like it, then they should not have agreed to the treaty in the first place, or they can simply back out of that treaty. I mean, what do you think a treaty is? It is an agreement where nation's agree to give up some part of their sovereignty for mutual benefit.

Your response is simply acknowledging their arguments. Okay, if the nation doesn't like it, they should not agree to the treaty. That is exactly what opponents to the TPP wanted, for their countries to not agree to the treaty!

Nictel

Americans should definetly mourn the TPP. That was a fantastic deal for them.

I doubt the rest of the world will. In fact, given how quickly the rest of the world moved after it was dead, it didn't.

This seems to be the theme now; when the US pulls out of an international agreement, the rest of the world doubles down. Some expected the rest of the world to follow the example of the US and become isolationist as well. This to me implies the US has already lost its role as world leader. Probably to China.

Piecake

Argument A: Our country should not agree to this treaty because its provisions takes away our sovereignty in certain important aspects.

Response: If the nation doesn't like it, then they should not have agreed to the treaty in the first place, or they can simply back out of that treaty. I mean, what do you think a treaty is? It is an agreement where nation's agree to give up some part of their sovereignty for mutual benefit.

Your response is simply acknowledging their arguments. Okay, if the nation doesn't like it, they should not agree to the treaty. That is exactly what opponents to the TPP wanted, for their countries to not agree to the treaty!

I am not simply acknowledging their arguments. You are just simplifying it to an extreme degree to make it seem so.

Saying that the treaty gives corporations vast new powers that will turn the world into an American neoliberal corportist state and that the tribunals will impose American law on the treaty nations is just absurd.

Corporations are being used as the enforcement mechanism of the treaty. If nations can pass laws in violation of the treaty after signing it, and then not be held accountable in some way, then what the hell is the point of the treaty? The reaction of some posters just strikes me as hyperbolic, either due to the fact that they don't like treaties in general, don't understand what treaties are, or think anything with corporations in it is automatically evil and sinister.

numble

I am not simply acknowledging their arguments. You are just simplifying it to an extreme degree to make it seem so.

Saying that the treaty gives corporations vast new powers that will turn the world into an American neoliberal corportist state and that the tribunals will impose American law on the treaty nations is just absurd.

Corporations are being used as the enforcement mechanism of the treaty. If nations can pass laws in violation of the treaty after signing it, and then not be held accountable in some way, then what the hell is the point of the treaty? The reaction of some posters just strikes me as hyperbolic, either due to the fact that they don't like treaties in general, don't understand what treaties are, or think anything with corporations in it is automatically evil and sinister.

This is not true. Have you read the ISDS provisions of the agreement? Corporations are not the used to enforce the treaty. The governments still need to enforce the treaty against each other. The ISDS provisions are to grant foreign investors certain rights in terms of their investments, outside of the other articles of the treaty that govern other aspects (such as tariffs and intellectual property).

As to the other points, you could say that the treaty imposes American law on other nations by requiring nations to extend their copyright and IP terms. But yes, it is true that it is not imposed through the tribunals.

It seems both sides are confused about what the ISDS provisions actually do.

numble

For those thinking non-transparent ISDS is required for trade deals, it should be noted that the European Commission said that they will not accept ISDS in future trade deals, including the recent one with Japan:
http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/july/tradoc_155684.PDF

Following the recent public debate, the Juncker Commission has fundamentally reformed the existing system for settling investment-related disputes.

A new system – called the Investment Court System, with judges appointed by the two parties to the FTA and public oversight – is the EU's agreed approach that it is pursuing from now on in its trade agreements. This is also the case with Japan.

Anything less ambitious, including coming back to the old Investor-to-State Dispute Settlement, is not acceptable. For the EU ISDS is dead.

Haunted

good guy Trump

fucking up his own country so other countries will benefit instead

EU's all like:

35bDxLp.gif

sucks if you're american of course, but you did vote for the guy so welp I guess

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Every nation already conceded sovereignty when they agreed to the terms of the treaty. So long as the rulings by the arbiter adhere to the treaty I honestly don't see the problem.

They didn't concede sovereignty in any meaningful sense - the treaty affects them because they wish it to do so. This is distinctly different from when an obscure point in a treaty is taken to an external court, judges de facto create a new law as a means to resolve that obscurity, and the state in question has to abide by this. If they had known this consequence, they may not have agreed.

Plus, why should a nation be able to get away with violating the treaty if the other nation is too afraid of retaliation or harming the relationship with the other?

Precisely because the negation of that commercial interest was less important than their relations.

To me, that seems like it would favor the influential and powerful nations in the treaty at the expense of the weaker ones. They can violate the treaty and get an advantage while they can punish the weaker ones for violating it. I'd hardly call that a fair and effective mechanism of enforcement, or a good mechanism to ensure that all of that nations end up happy and stay in the treaty.

Treaties already favour influential and powerful states. That's the status quo. Allowing multinational companies to sue states bends things even more in favour of influential and powerful states, since most multinational companies are quartered in influential and powerful states. How often do you think a Thai company is going to sue the American government? How often do you think an American company is going to sue the Thai government?

Let's be completely straight here: the litigation will run almost entirely one way. Making governments take up cases concerning breaches of treaties between governments at least means the Thai government can appeal to the American state's moral capacity, something companies are explicitly discharged of.

I still can't understand how Trump couldn't see how effective the TPP was going to be in controlling China. Or he did see and was bought off. There was little to any down side for US industry given the current state of it.

I can easily understand how Trump couldn't see what something as complex as an international trade deal would do.

He is incapable of understanding anything beyond Obama being in favor of it.

KDR_11k

I always found it funny seeing Americans arguing against TPP which would have been maybe the best deal possible for US. I understand other countries criticising it, but Americans? Ridiculous.

The US govt loves putting provisions into trade agreements that they couldn't get through domestically. Then they just go "don't blame us, it's in this treaty we totally didn't write".

For those thinking non-transparent ISDS is required for trade deals, it should be noted that the European Commission said that they will not accept ISDS in future trade deals, including the recent one with Japan:
http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/july/tradoc_155684.PDF

South Africa has already stated their desire to pull out of all treaties which have ISDS clauses. Brazil refuses to enter into any treaty which has ISDS clauses.

Australia, famously the target of that Philip Morris lawsuit, stated they would not sign any more treaties with ISDS clauses and then a new government took power and they signed new treaties with ISDS clauses. Good looking out for yourself there, Aussies.

The European Union refused to allow an ISDS clause into the TPIP which was supposed to be finished after the passage of TPP, and after legal wrangling and Germany passing a law making such clauses illegal (good for them), the TPIP had all such clauses struck. This is moot now that TPIP is dead, but at least the Europeans aren't stupid and also won't just roll over and die for American corporate power.

Could someone clarify something for me about TPP?

Was all the reprehensible copyright shit excised before it was implemented?

https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

The TPP Would Have Rewritten Global Rules on Intellectual Property Enforcement

All signatory countries would have been required to conform their domestic laws and policies to the provisions of the Agreement. In the U.S., this would have further entrenched controversial aspects of U.S. copyright law—such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)—and restricted the ability of Congress to engage in domestic law reform to meet the evolving needs of American citizens and the innovative technology sector. Overall, the TPP's provisions that recognize the rights of the public are non-binding, whereas almost everything that benefits rightsholders is binding.

The final IP chapter included many detailed requirements that are more restrictive than current international standards, and would have required significant changes to other countries' copyright laws. These include obligations for countries to:

Expand Copyright Terms: Create copyright terms well beyond the internationally agreed period in the 1994 Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). The TPP would have extended copyright term protections from life of the author + 50 years, to Life + 70 years for works created by individuals, and 70 years after publication or after creation for corporate owned works (such as Mickey Mouse).

Escalate Protections for DRM (aka Digital Locks): It would have compelled signatory nations to enact laws banning circumvention of digital locks (technological protection measures or TPMs) [PDF] that mirror the DMCA and treat violation of the TPM provisions as a separate offense even when no copyright infringement is involved. This would have required countries like New Zealand to completely rewrite its innovative 2008 copyright law, as well as override Australia's carefully-crafted 2007 TPM regime exclusions for region-coding on movies on DVDs, video games, and players, and for embedded software in devices that restrict access to goods and services for the device—a thoughtful effort by Australian policy makers to avoid the pitfalls experienced with the U.S. digital locks provisions. In the U.S., business competitors have used the DMCA to try to block printer cartridge refill services, competing garage door openers, and to lock mobile phones to particular network providers.

Create New Threats for Journalists and Whistleblowers: Dangerously vague text on the misuse of trade secrets, which could be used to enact harsh criminal punishments against anyone who reveals or even accesses information through a "computer system" that is allegedly confidential.

Enact a "Three-Step Test" Language That Puts Restrictions on Fair Use: The U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) is putting fair use at risk with restrictive language in the TPP's IP chapter. Companies that adopt more user-friendly rules could also risk lawsuits by content industry investors who believe these rules limit their profits.

Place Greater Liability on Internet Intermediaries: The TPP would have forced the adoption of the U.S. DMCA Internet intermediaries copyright safe harbor regime in its entirety on other countries. Chile and Canada have gotten exceptions to allow their forward-thinking regimes that better safeguard user rights to stay in place. However, the TPP would still help entrench the United States' flawed takedown regime as an international standard.

Adopt Heavy Criminal Sanctions: Adopt criminal sanctions for copyright infringement that is done without commercial motivation. Users could be jailed or hit with debilitating fines over file sharing, and may have their property or domains seized or destroyed even without a formal complaint from the copyright holder.

In short, countries would have to abandon any efforts to learn from the mistakes of the United States and its experience with the DMCA over the last 16 years, and adopt many of the most controversial aspects of U.S. copyright law in their entirety. At the same time, the TPP's IP chapter does not export the limitations and exceptions in the U.S. copyright regime like fair use, which have enabled freedom of expression and technological innovation to flourish in the United States. It includes only a placeholder for exceptions and limitations. This raises serious concerns about other countries' sovereignty and the ability of national governments to set laws and policies to meet their domestic priorities.

Although the IP chapter contains the worst of the agreement's anti-user provisions, we were also concerned by provisions elsewhere that:

Place Barriers in the Way of Protecting Your Privacy: The TPP's Electronic Commerce and Telecommunications Chapters establish only the weakest baseline for the protection of your private data—even enforcing self-regulation by the companies that profit from your data is enough. On the other hand, stronger privacy laws are outlawed if they amount to an ”arbitrary or unjustifiable discrimination or a disguised restriction on trade."
Do Nothing on Net Neutrality and Spam: The TPP includes provisions on net neutrality and spam control that are so weak that they achieve nothing. But including them in the agreement at all could lead countries to wrongly assume that these topics have been adequately dealt with, dissuading them from working towards more positive solutions.

Prohibit Open Source Mandates: With no good rationale, the agreement would outlaw a country from adopting rules for the sale of software that include mandatory code review or the release of source code. This could inhibit countries from addressing pressing information security problems, such as widespread and massive vulnerability in closed-source home routers.

I just remember a lot of talk back in 2013 about all the shady stuff going on. But it never seemed to gain a lot of thread traction at GAF. Not that people thought it wasn't anything to worry about, it just didn't receive a lot of attention.

Was all this always still a part of it? Was it just deemed a necessary sacrifice in the face of the other benefits, not an aspect to focus on?

andthebeatgoeson

Liberals clinging to the TPP hate was probably one of the most disappointing things to me during the last election.

Please, the disinformation campaign was wide enough that both side of the isle thought this was a good idea. Bernie was just as big of an isolationist and because both candidates clung to this social outcry against TPP, Clinton ended up being against it too.

Fucking stupidy all around.

Now we just have to reach across the aisle and accept their ignorance and bigotry. Seems like a fair trade off for America.

numble

So erm Anti-TPP people, what are you guys going to do about all those farmers mentioned in the article? Tough luck?

And it would have helped many people including farmers in the US.

I also want someone to answer this question.

I... don't think we're going to get an answer from anyone :v

Oh? "Fuck you, got mine?"

Sentiments like that is what fuels the "both sides" mentality.

Here's a response if you want it.

Opening more markets for US farmers simply involve lowering tariffs. Developing countries are happy to reciprocally lower tariffs in exchange for the same. It does not require having these countries change their laws to impose longer IP monopolies or ISDS provisions in order for tariffs to be lowered. They are perfectly willing to lower tariffs without these provisions, as the RCEP and EU-Japan agreement seem to prove.

You can have a trade deal without the objectionable parts to the TPP and maybe even include some things that were missing from the TPP like anti-currency manipulation provisions.

The US could join the RCEP for instance, which would give it access to lowered tariffs in even more countries, without imposing the other non-tariff items on these countries. It is not TPP or nothing. The farmers don't really care about ISDS unless they are multinational farming conglomerates that want better protections for their investments in these countries, but this has nothing to do with the discussion of farmers wanting greater market access for American agricultural products--the products from a hypothetical US-invested Vietnam farm are considered Vietnamese products.

As a digression---Okay, lowered tariffs are not the only way to greater market access. If you are really aggressive like the US approach to TTIP, you can also open agricultural markets even further by requiring trade partners to lower their food safety standards--for the TTIP the US was requesting that EU lowered their food product standards to accept products grown using pesticides or treatments that are banned in the EU. But I assume you are not advocating this. This was not part of the TPP as the TPP involved developing countries--in fact, I think the TPP raised standards to give an advantage to US and the other developed countries in the trade bloc, so that Vietnam or Malaysia would have difficulty shipping agricultural products to the US.

I just remember a lot of talk back in 2013 about all the shady stuff going on. But it never seemed to gain a lot of thread traction at GAF. Not that people thought it wasn't anything to worry about, it just didn't receive a lot of attention.

Was all this always still a part of it? Was it just deemed a necessary sacrifice in the face of the other benefits, not an aspect to focus on?

Yes, it was all in there.

espher

TPP was arguably hot garbage from a Canadian PoV. We'd see a very, very minor GDP gain (mostly from having an FTA with countries with which we previously did not have an FTA) which we would likely need to spend on subsidies for industries hurt by TPP and STILL lose some domestic production/employment in sectors.

Sadly, it was even worse if we stayed out. We were essentially powerless in negotiations and being browbeaten into accepting a raw deal.

Personally speaking, I also wanted nothing to do with the intellectual property laws that the US wanted to shove down Canada's throat, among other things.

I'm glad it's dead for a lot of reasons.

I also want someone to answer this question.

Yes, "tough luck" would be my answer.

I don't see anyone outside of our borders lamenting the impact on sectors here (e.g. Canadian dairy farmers) if TPP became a thing.

dramatis

I expect if there ends up being a "TPP11 + China" agreement there will be no provisions for American style copyright, American style patent protections for drugs, corporate tribunals, etc. Quite frankly the Pacific Rim will be more free and more prosperous without the United States in complete and total corporate domination.
This is kind of silly and short-sighted.

You're trading US control of the Pacific for Chinese control of the Pacific. If you're under the impression that the Pacific Rim will be "more free and more prosperous" under Chinese influence, then you're welcome to move to China and become a Chinese citizen. I'm sure you'll be happy with the freedom under Chinese corporate and state domination that you'll have there.

numble

This is kind of silly and short-sighted.

You're trading US control of the Pacific for Chinese control of the Pacific. If you're under the impression that the Pacific Rim will be "more free and more prosperous" under Chinese influence, then you're welcome to move to China and become a Chinese citizen. I'm sure you'll be happy with the freedom under Chinese corporate and state domination that you'll have there.

The geopolitical saber rattling regarding China has always been silly and short-sighted. Can you explain how a TP11+China, or the RCEP would lead to Chinese control of the Pacific? Keep in mind that the 16 countries have been negotiating the RCEP since 2013 and have had 18 rounds so far. They were going to sign up to RCEP regardless of whether the TPP was passed or not, especially since it contains India, South Korea and China, which are not in the TPP. There is no indication that they would refrain from further trade deals like the RCEP.

Additionally, the rules of origin under the TPP were very favorable to China, as I have discussed many times before--and Joseph Stiglitz has stated the same.

sangreal

These measures bring the other signatories' copyright laws in line with what we already have in the United States so it doesn't really have any negative impact in the US -- the country that rejected the deal. Yes, our copyright regime and the cfaa sucks and it would suck for those countries to import it but nobody forced them to agree to it

Again, the TPP was rejected by Americans in the United States, not any of the other signatories. So pointing out why it would suck for them doesn't do anything to justify the opposition

Sulik2

So erm Anti-TPP people, what are you guys going to do about all those farmers mentioned in the article? Tough luck?

Negotiate an an actual agricultural trade deal. Not a massive agreement that seeks to redesign half the trade in the planet all at once.

And you could help farmers in the USA with some simple actions. End the corn subsidy and subsidize vegetables and fruits. Something the population needs to eat more if. Corn is way over produced and drives down the price so it's only profitable on subsidy.

Break up oversize corporate food conglomerates and super markets so farmers have more places to sell their crops. They won't have to take the barebones offer from the couple of corporations that run own food in the USA.

Offer free college and relocation services to farmers and their immediate family who want to leave farming states and get out of the business.

Single payer healthcare so farmers don't have to struggle getting their healthcare covered.

danm999

Oh? "Fuck you, got mine?"

Sentiments like that is what fuels the "both sides" mentality.

Why should the eleven countries in the TPP besides the USA subject their government health policy to litigation by the US pharmaceutical industry because it's coupled to a treaty that also lowers tariffs for Iowa farmers?

It's not fuck you, got mine. It's fuck you, you're trying to fuck me.

The TPP wasn't thought out well. It would've been good for America domestically, but it added too many provisions that rubbed people on both sides of the aisle the wrong way and there was a lack of transparency for something that was supposed be such a tremendous change. Nobody trusted it and the few who did couldn't effectively message it.

Next time come up with something at a smaller scope so it's easier for voters to see the domestic benefits.

numble

These measures bring the other signatories' copyright laws in line with what we already have in the United States so it doesn't really have any negative impact in the US -- the country that rejected the deal. Yes, our copyright regime and the cfaa sucks and it would suck for those countries to import it but nobody forced them to agree to it

Again, the TPP was rejected by Americans in the United States, not any of the other signatories. So pointing out why it would suck for them doesn't do anything to justify the opposition

Its perfectly fine for Americans to oppose the imposition of undesirable regimes on other countries. We can think of many situations for that--Americans could oppose a renegotiated NAFTA that requires the Canada and Mexico to pay for a wall, for instance.

On a normative level, Americans can still oppose the imposition of undesirable regimes because it makes certain standards more fixed and much more difficult to remove (in the US and elsewhere). The very recent trend to move away from ISDS provisions in the major trade agreements that have been negotiated since TPP may not have been possible if the largest trade agreement contained ISDS provisions. You could say the same for the IP provisions.

I have yet to read a good argument against ISDS. Just seems like a lot of economic illiterate whining to me.

The IP laws part was the only concerning of TPP as far as I've seen.

TarNaru33

Banned
I have yet to read a good argument against ISDS. Just seems like a lot of economic illiterate whining to me.

The IP laws part was the only concerning of TPP as far as I've seen.

ISDS would punish governments for leaving contracts and the like with companies to better policy for consumers and the environment, wouldn't it? I can see why people who knows the government should benefit the citizens as a whole more than companies/businesses would see it as a bad thing as it takes some control from them.

Top Bottom