• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trusted Reviews: Xbox Series X is the Best console of 2021

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The astroturfing is real, I hope they're paying you well mate.

Out of interest, what have those two teraflops showed you that cannot be done on other platforms..?

as a lot of people are saying on other threads, first gen games are not showing why the true power of the consoles can do. PlayStation fans saying we can’t see the power of the SSD yet when shown slower drives can perform as well as the fast SSD inside the ps5, but when it comes to extra power of the Xbox it’s doesn’t count? Madness

sainraja

I don't know...I find the UI of the Xbox to be a little boring compared to the PS5 (but the UX does need improving.)

I switch between the two systems pretty often and don't really miss 'quick resume' when playing on the PS5. This might have to do with the fact that I tend to play one game at a time and don't switch between games that much when playing. The functionality that 'smart-delivery' attempts to describe is what we're used to having on mobile platforms (I don't really care how it's handled or done in the background) and due to MS we have it on consoles now and this is definitely something Sony should follow. The systems needs to default to the native version unless it's just not available; we're playing on a console and not a PC. I can't think of a reason you'd want to play the previous gen version when a new gen version is available on your new gen console. People should have to deliberately select the old version or something if they really want to allow that haha. That's just me maybe.

I can't say one absolutely destroys the other. There are things both could take from the other.

I have both and rn I’d agree. PlayStation exclusives haven’t really hit yet and Xbox has better features in quick resume, and easier to transfer data. Game pass has been a steal and as a smaller note, the best internet browser for streaming sports and fights. That’s not really a big one tho lol

MikeM

How to transfer your Far Cry 6 save data from PS4 to PS5​

1. You’ll need both the PS4 and the PS5 versions of Far Cry 6 installed.
  2. Load the PS4 version, then hit “new game.” (Weird, right?)
  3. Next to your save slot, you should see an icon that looks like a little cloud with an up arrow over it—the universal icon for “upload to cloud.” Click on that.
  4. Now, boot up the PS5 version.
  5. Go to “new game” again. (Yup, still weird.)
  6. Next to one of the save slots, see an icon that looks like a little cloud with a down arrow over it—the universal icon for “download from cloud.” Click on that.
  7. That’s it. You did it! You can repeat the process as often as you’d like, but you can only keep one save file in the cloud at once.

yup...painless.
Oh we are talking save transfers. I thought you were just talking about back compat itself. Yes- Sony takes a huge L for save transfers.
Definitely my favorite feature of XSX.

Neither console has "objectively" better hardware. XSX has a more powerful GPU and slightly faster CPU. PS5 has faster I/O. PS5 also has controller haptics whereas XSX does not. XSX has VRR which PS5 does not. And so on. These are all objective truths. Saying which is "better" is entirely subjective.

As for best console, having had an XSX for a month now the most compelling feature the console offers in my opinion is Quick Resume. At the same time, PS5 has better audio options, imo. The games play great on both though. Which is truly best to me? Meh.....flip a coin.
Hey man. Can you stop making sense please? /s

Last edited:

Neo_game

ISX is definitely more expensive console due to having bigger chip, bigger cooling fan, vapor chamber. But IMO PS5 is better designed console. It has a tiny chip, 20% smaller than SX yet it's performance is pretty much on par. Their storage option is also much better and cheaper. The only thing Sony messed up IMO is the SSD. I am not sure the 5.5gbs SSD is worth it. Even though on paper it is supposed to be more than 2x faster. It barely got any benefit. In fact in some games SX is slightly better.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This a tough one
I mean dualsense or quick resume + slightly more power?

Thats all that really seperates the ps5 and XsX.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Neither console has "objectively" better hardware. XSX has a more powerful GPU and slightly faster CPU. PS5 has faster I/O. PS5 also has controller haptics whereas XSX does not. XSX has VRR which PS5 does not. And so on. These are all objective truths. Saying which is "better" is entirely subjective.

As for best console, having had an XSX for a month now the most compelling feature the console offers in my opinion is Quick Resume. At the same time, PS5 has better audio options, imo. The games play great on both though. Which is truly best to me? Meh.....flip a coin.

how does thePS5 have better audio options? Xbox has their own audio soloution and has Atmos to. Surely having more options is better?

Topher

Gold Member
how does thePS5 have better audio options? Xbox has their own audio soloution and has Atmos to. Surely having more options is better?

Wireless headsets for Xbox are limited to officially licensed products only. USB audio isn’t available like it is on PS5. More options are definitely better.

Sosokrates

Out of interest, what have those two teraflops showed you that cannot be done on other platforms..?

The ps5 is bigger and louder, it doesent have mesh shaders, the only thing the 2 extra tflops do is allow for higher resolutions.

It would take radical hardware differences for some aspect of a game to be not possible on a platform.
An example if this is this switch, vastly weaker hardware but still able to handle compex games like the witcher 3 and doom eternal.

Sosokrates

It is not subjective that the XSX has more 3rd party games that have a higher resolution. then the PS5 does.

Because at the end of the day how the games look and perform determine which is the better hardware.

On paper the PS3 had hardware advantages over the 360, but majority of the games performed significantly better on the 360.

so far the PS5's SSD advantage has only shown about 1sec faster loading on average.

Topher

Gold Member
It is not subjective that the XSX has more 3rd party games that have a higher resolution. then the PS5 does.

Because at the end of the day how the games look and perform determine which is the better hardware.

On paper the PS3 had hardware advantages over the 360, but majority of the games performed significantly better on the 360.

so far the PS5's SSD advantage has only shown about 1sec faster loading on average.

It is also not subjective that in many of those games PS5 had more stable frame rates. What is subjective is whether there is enough difference either way to matter. The same is true for the SSD advantage. Is it enough difference to matter? At the end of the day, the "better hardware" is based entirely on opinion when taking all the different aspects into consideration. Neither console has definitively better hardware than the other overall. That is my opinion. If you think the visual differences are significant enough to say XSX has better hardware to you then that is fine. I've been playing on both consoles for a month now and I can say the visuals on both are really good and they are both excellent consoles.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

SSD is more then loading games. People should know this by now sjeez…

Sosokrates

It is also not subjective that in many of those games PS5 had more stable frame rates. What is subjective is whether there is enough difference either way to matter. The same is true for the SSD advantage. Is it enough difference to matter? At the end of the day, the "better hardware" is based entirely on opinion when taking all the different aspects into consideration. Neither console has definitively better hardware than the other overall. That is my opinion. If you think the visual differences are significant enough to say XSX has better hardware to you then that is fine. I've been playing on both consoles for a month now and I can say the visuals on both are really good and they are both excellent consoles.

The more stable framerates only happend on a handful of games and they were not perfect on PS5 either.

But yes on these few games it is subjective, imo though the ocaisional few more frames the ps5 gets is not worth sacrifice of a constant resolution advantage, but yeah the differences are small.

Topher

Gold Member
The more stable framerates only happend on a handful of games and they were not perfect on PS5 either.

But yes on these few games it is subjective, imo though the ocaisional few more frames the ps5 gets is not worth sacrifice of a constant resolution advantage, but yeah the differences are small.

At this point, personally, I wouldn't think twice about buying the PS5 version of a game over the XSX, or vice versa. If it really came down to visuals I'd just buy all the multiplatform games for my PC, but I'm enjoying giving all my platforms some love.

Vasto

Just turning on the Series X and browsing the OS make you feel like you are playing a game.

The system is just that good. :messenger_beaming:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Xbox Series X is the best console simply because you actually have a chance of buying one.

PS5 could be better than reality but I'll never know because I'll never be able to get my hands on one. Well, maybe when PS6 comes out.
It's just a perception. You can buy xbox because less people want it.
Ps5 is more popular and selling more, so it's harder to get

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
"so far the PS5's SSD advantage has only shown about 1sec faster loading on average."

So far we have not seen any differences beyond loading and its likely we never will because 3rd parties have to design for all the platforms.

third parties are still in a transition to next-gen with their engines. And even they showed in multiple games higher quality asset streaming, less pop-in. You said a “handful” of games have better performance on the PS5. Well it’s more then a handful don’t start lying now.

These consoles are on par. If the XSX was really that more powerful, it would show us 3 things at the same time:

- Better graphics in games
- Better Performance in games
- Better/Higher resolution in games

All at the same time. And it’s not showing any of that. In fact it might have a higher dynamic res in some games. It also has more games with frame pacing issues, stutters, or lower quality textures. It’s a good console, but far from perfect.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just turning on the Series X and browsing the OS make you feel like you are playing a game.

The system is just that good. :messenger_beaming:

I'm getting used to XSX UI, but I don't think it is very good. I do like the MS Rewards app though. Really boosting my points with the activity sets.

Sosokrates

At this point, personally, I wouldn't think twice about buying the PS5 version of a game over the XSX, or vice versa. If it really came down to visuals I'd just buy all the multiplatform games for my PC, but I'm enjoying giving all my platforms some love.
Yeah both a great options.

I personally dont buy a lot of games, i play gamepass, ps+/ps5 collection, and R* and naughty dog games and thats it.
So the only multiplat i will buy would be GTA6 or RDR3 which will probably run the same on both, i would probably get it on XSX just because its on more because of gamepass/media usage.
However if it had better environmental detail on the ps5 version that could sway me to get the ps5 version.

Godot25

Banned
I mean, it's pretty logical.
PlayStation had more games hence platform of the year.
Xbox is just better console so console of the year.

While Microsoft enhances back compat games through FPS Boost, AutoHDR and have great things like Smart Delivery, Sony took almost a year to enable external NVMe drives, to enable 3D audio outside headsets and they also had to fix their terrible cross-gen stuff. Jesus, people for a while didn't know what version of game they are playing. And I'm not even talking about shit like save transfer that isn't even available on some games and things like "I can't upgrade my copy of a game for free despite fact that I should be able to."
And their OS experience is half-baked at best.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's just a perception. You can buy xbox because less people want it.
Ps5 is more popular and selling more, so it's harder to get
Maybe whatever part of the world you are in there are XSX sitting on shelves but here in the US the Series X is just as hard to get as a PS5.

In fact with the recent restocks in Best Buy and Amazon the PS5 was much easier to get then the XSX as I have helped a few family members snag a PS5

It's the one I've played on the most, I have short burts on the PS5, but After Astrobot and Miles Morales, the exclusives they have haven't been for me.

I did platinum Maneater when they gave that away via PS+

I've bought Returnal it actively annoyed me, I started Ratchet it was okay, but the SSD hype was BS IMHO. I have Demon Souls and Deathloop discs ready to go, but...

I bought Far Cry 6 on the Xbox, been playing that and Metroid Dread this past week.

I use Gmaepass and Game streaming far more than I ever expected I would have. The amount of 3rd party 360/One games I still have access to with enhancements enhancements, then the all conquering quick resume for a lot of important titles.

I guess I can understand this decision.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Definitely the best designed piece of hardware with the best next-gen software features and services. Upcoming games look hot too.

I hope more backward-compatible titles will be added as this is mostly what I use my Series X for (I'm PC-centric).

Sosokrates

third parties are still in a transition to next-gen with their engines. And even they showed in multiple games higher quality asset streaming, less pop-in. You said a “handful” of games have better performance on the PS5. Well it’s more then a handful don’t start lying now.

These consoles are on par. If the XSX was really that more powerful, it would show us 3 things at the same time:

- Better graphics in games
- Better Performance in games
- Better/Higher resolution in games

All at the same time. And it’s not showing any of that. In fact it might have a higher dynamic res in some games. It also has more games with frame pacing issues, stutters, or lower quality textures. It’s a good console, but far from perfect.
Its more then a handfull?

All i recall is early games when the xsx dev tools were shit and metro exodus next gen version.

And as for your speculation on the direction 3rd parties will take, all we know is that they will need to use software and tools which works well and all targeted platforms. They cant make the game dependent on the PS5 unique hardware features because it needs to work on pc and series consoles.

The consoles are not on par(equal), the xsx has a compute and RAM bandwidth advantage and we seeing this in games. I will say they are close though.

Also, hardware does not need to have your 3 criterias checked in norder to be more powerful. A 2070 could run a game at 1800p@ 60fps and a 2080 could do the same game at 2160p @ 60fps , just because the 2080 only passed one of your criterias does not mean its not more powerful.

Last edited:
There's a game coming very soon that has no loading much like Ratchet, but you don't see that as a focus in the marketing. I'm sure reviews will mention it though.
Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I mean, it's pretty logical.
PlayStation had more games hence platform of the year.
Xbox is just better console so console of the year.

While Microsoft enhances back compat games through FPS Boost, AutoHDR and have great things like Smart Delivery, Sony took almost a year to enable external NVMe drives, to enable 3D audio outside headsets and they also had to fix their terrible cross-gen stuff. Jesus, people for a while didn't know what version of game they are playing. And I'm not even talking about shit like save transfer that isn't even available on some games and things like "I can't upgrade my copy of a game for free despite fact that I should be able to."
And their OS experience is half-baked at best.

Your right about the save transfer, but it has already “fixed” in the SDK. But i don’t know why some games still don’t use it. The reason they activated the SSD expansion later was because of the availability of SSD’s in general.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
what? let's say it again ...the gap in teraflops is completely and objectively unbrigeable. this is a fact. you can fantasize and astroturf in other post . bye

res x fps...PS5 cannot do the same most of the time we seeing basically in most comparation
We all know teraflops won't define these machines. This is the closest generation ever in terms of performance

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Wireless headsets for Xbox are limited to officially licensed products only. USB audio isn’t available like it is on PS5. More options are definitely better.

so you mean actual external hardware? right so again that's a consumer choice. Actual sound options on the console though the xbox is better as it offers Atmos

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

All i recall is early games when the xsx dev tools were shit and metro exodus next gen version.

And as for your speculation on the direction 3rd parties will take, all we know is that they will need to use software and tools which works well and all targeted platforms. They cant make the game dependent on the PS5 unique hardware features because it needs to work on pc and series consoles.

The consoles are not on par(equal), the xsx has a compute and RAM bandwidth advantage and we seeing this in games. I will say they are close though.

Also, hardware does not need to have your 3 criterias checked in norder to be more powerful. A 2070 could run a game at 1800p@ 60fps and a 2080 could do the same game at 2160p @ 60fps , just because the 2080 only passed one of your criterias does not mean its not more powerful.

This is full on lying here. yes at launch almost all games had better performance on PS5, but we are almost a year from launch now and there have been more games that had better performance on PS5. So this "handful of games" You mean really just les then 5 games is bullshit and lying.

If this is true (while it's not) why screaming "Mah MESH SHADERS"? Why would 3rd parties use Mesh shaders, VRS, SFS, Velocity Arch? Yes it the same question you get right now? 3rd parties can easily use different features per console if the SDK are efficient enough that they can implement it.

The ram bandwidth has always been a big question mark for the XSX. It has only 10GB of higher bandwidth 2 pools with different speeds, might not be efficient for the XSX compared to the PS5. Nothing so far showed any difference. The PS5 has one big pool of high bandwith memory.

What are you talking about? The compatible SSDs have been out as long as the PS5 has been out and prices have been the same for the last year. I got the same WD SSD that's in my PS5 in my PC back in February.

There were not many high speed ssds in circulation. Samsung had the 980 and many others had yet to release and test their 7GB versions. You've seen for yourself that all manufacturers released their SSDs during PS's announcement and after.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
There were not many high speed ssds in circulation. Samsung had the 980 and many others had yet to release and test their 7GB versions. You've seen for yourself that all manufacturers only released their SSDs during PS's announcement that they would beta the SSD expansion.

You are flat out, 100%, wrong on this.

The WD SN850 came out right around the same time as the PS5 last year. Its price has remained the same throughout the entire year. I got a 2TB version in my PC in February, and then I bought a 1TB when the PS5 beta started.

The only "new" one that came out when the beta started was Seagate's. There were MANY PCIE4.0 SSDs available for a long time before that beta started.

Stuart360

Slightly off topic but one thing really grates on here is if you say anything positive about Xbox, you are 'astroturfing'.
Its such a cheap and annoying disss. Hopefully the mods start coming down on this stuff more consistently.

Godot25

Banned
Your right about the save transfer, but it has already “fixed” in the SDK. But i don’t know why some games still don’t use it. The reason they activated the SSD expansion later was because of the availability of SSD’s in general.
Didn't Samsung released fast enough SSD at the end of last year?

Yeah, Sony fixed it. But that's my point. It took them almost year after release of their console. Xbox had more complete launch in terms of OS functionality and they had SSD expansion options available day one. Hence why they more deserve "console of the year" award, while Sony thanks to their exclusive games deserve "platform of the year"

I didn't mean the consoles themselves were not close as they are indeed.

I meant its not close as far as features that I prefer.

I understand many people love the dualsense features most of which I dont care for I shut off the triggers.

The 3D audio doesn't overly impress me

One game running 8k 60 is great if you are playing that game on an 8k display and are enjoying yourself.

I get all these if thats what you prefer.

I personally prefer VRR, 1440p, Quick Resume, Play Anywhere, Smart Delivery, an easier to upgrade SSD (and I have upgraded my PS5 SSD to a 2 TB 980 Pro), a superior controller in the Elite 2, auto HDR

For me, it wasn't in fact close which is the superior hardware plus to date Playstation is the superior platform and also that isn't even close as of right now

All just my opinions as I agree with the picks
I'm still on the lookout for a PS5, but in the meantime I've been enjoying my Series X. Looks amazing on my 55' LG C1 OLED. Anyway, Game Pass is what sold the console to me. I've been playing so many damn games because of it and I don't think I could go back. It just fits my lifestyle so well. At this point I'm just waiting for two more things to lineup for Xbox. First off, killer first party titles. Secondly, announce their own haptic feedback controller. I totally think Microsoft will announce a new elite controller featuring all those lovely DualSense tech. Also big props for team green on living up to the promise of "everything just works". Bring on the killer first party games!

Top Bottom