• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trusted Reviews: Xbox Series X is the Best console of 2021

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm not following. Atmos gives you option of using Atmos?

ok easier way
XBOX
headphones
Microsoft own spatial audio or atmos

home cinema system Atmos or DD or DTS

PS5

headphines tempest audio

homecimema DD or DTS

that’s the choices so Xbox offers more chiloice sound wise

Topher

Gold Member
ok easier way
XBOX
headphones
Microsoft own spatial audio or atmos

home cinema system Atmos or DD or DTS

PS5

headphines tempest audio

homecimema DD or DTS

that’s the choices so Xbox offers more chiloice sound wise

Only if you leave out the sounds options I provided previously, sure.

I haven't found a need to compare and contrast between PS5 and XSX in terms of game performance, neither have given me a need to do so. Quick resume is great on Xbox and moving from old gen to new in terms of saves is seemless, looking at you Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima. But other than that I have no clear favourite. PS5 has more exclusives at the moment but....

Only thing with XBox, for me, is the unstable download / update speed. Even though network connection speed test suggests full speed it trickles at c500K and then full speed and then 500k and sometimes just stalls.

And, yes, I have tried all the speedup tricks of closing running apps / games, resetting alternative MAC, reboot. PC and PS5 hit max speed on downloads without fluctuation.

I have tried this wired / wireless, different networks, yet always the same.....

Topher

Gold Member
usb audio doesn’t provide any different type of sound

Bluetooth doesn’t provide any different type of sound

they are just different ways of getting the sound

using either of them ain’t gonna get Atmos as the PS5 currantly doesn’t support it

And Atmos isn't getting on my non-Xbox licensed headsets as Xbox won't allow it. sigh......dude.....I think we've said all that can be said about this.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
And Atmos isn't getting on my non-Xbox licensed headsets as Xbox won't allow it. sigh......dude.....I think we've said all that can be said about this.

it is still as I said xbox has more audio options

PlayStation has more hardware options

I prefer more audio options

Topher

Gold Member
it is still as I said xbox has more audio options

PlayStation has more hardware options

I prefer more audio options

Well, I've been using three different Dolby Atmos headsets for days now and I'd rather be able to use my Sony 1000xm4s. They just sound better and they have noise cancelling which I cannot find for any Xbox headset that doesn't cost $500. So yeah, PS5 has better audio and hardware options, imo. To each their own though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well, I've been using three different Dolby Atmos headsets for days now and I'd rather be able to use my Sony 1000xm4s. They just sound better and they have noise cancelling which I cannot find for any Xbox headset that doesn't cost $500. So yeah, PS5 has better audio and hardware options, imo. To each their own though.
That’s good your using Atmos headphones but you ain’t getting Atmos while playing games which is a shame.

do you live in such a loud environment where you need noise cancelling headphones. I have never had an issue while in the house where I needed noise cancelling headphones and I have 2 children

Topher

Gold Member
That’s good your using Atmos headphones but you ain’t getting Atmos while playing games which is a shame.

I'm using Atmos headphones on my XSX.

do you live in such a loud environment where you need noise cancelling headphones. I have never had an issue while in the house where I needed noise cancelling headphones and I have 2 children

I've found noise cancelling provides a more immersive experience regardless. Either way, at the price point of some of these, they should have it.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I've found noise cancelling provides a more immersive experience regardless. Either way, at the price point of some of these, they should have it.

the bang and olufsen headphones provide it on series x they are £349 currantly on Amazon. They are designed to work with Xbox audio tech but come with a Bluetooth dongle so can be used with PS5 to

Tschumi

Oh well that settles it then.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

ReBurn

Gold Member

I got a pair of Atmos capable headphones when I got my XSX bundle and I've yet to redeem the code to enable Atmos. Maybe I should try it.

pasterpl

Well deserved, it also should win the best platform if it wouldn’t be a user poll. Easy combination of smart delivery, Xbox platform across Xbox consoles (multiple generations) and pc and proper game streaming, plus the highest rated console exclusives this year (so far only flight sim, but we all know that forza Horizon will be above 90 mc), makes it probably the best in gaming. Smart delivery, play anywhere, saves sync across generations and devices automatically - I can play on my xsx then continue on my xbonex and finish on my pc, all progress saved and synced, magic. But as platform vote was a user vote I am not surprised with ps5 winning it, consolation prize. ;)

for some here saying that ps5 has this and that, xbsx have 3d audio as well, have the whole XVA, amazing engineering with split motherboards, vapour chambers etc.

MonarchJT

Banned
PS5 is better for me if you include control haptic quality and Pulse headsets. Also the SSD option on PS5 is better.

Regarding power to run videogames both consoles has their pros and cons but as a whole system think PS5 has less bottlenecks than Series X.
clearly no idea of what you talking about . and I'm talking about your last bit about the power

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
XSX has been extremely hard to source for friends and family, whereas I was able to help procure the PS5 for several people(thanks wario64!).
You can skew that however you would like, but it's been established that Sony began production literally months before Microsoft did and thusly have been able to produce more consoles.

Now, I'm not suggesting that XSX would currently be outselling PS5 if supply wasn't an issue, but I don't think this gen will be a blowout like it was between PS4 and XBO, at any rate.
That's incorrect. Sony began production barely a month before MS (PS5 started in June, XSX started in July). That one-month lead would mean nothing now after 15 months have passed since production began for both consoles.

The actual difference is not because of that one-month lead but because Xbox ordered half the wafers than what Sony did for PS5.

And it all came down to market forecasts. PS5 was always expected to outsell Xbox 2:1 (going by previous trends and current market forecasts and brand perception), which is why Xbox only ordered 40K wafers, while Sony ordered 80K wafers to meet their respective demands.

Topher

Gold Member
get what ya pay for. Quality always comes at a cost

Unfortunately these are not quality. B&O Beoplay Portals are horrible. I picked it up this morning and have had nothing but problems. Update the firmware and finally I was able to actually connect to my XSX. And then noise cancelling stopped working in one ear. Thanks again for pointing out the sale, but these things are duds. Did a bit more research and seems I'm not the only one. For MSRP of $500 these should just work without any issues, period. Disappointed.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Unfortunately these are not quality. B&O Beoplay Portals are horrible. I picked it up this morning and have had nothing but problems. Update the firmware and finally I was able to actually connect to my XSX. And then noise cancelling stopped working in one ear. Thanks again for pointing out the sale, but these things are duds. Did a bit more research and seems I'm not the only one. For MSRP of $500 these should just work without any issues, period. Disappointed.
My friend has them and has no issues, I have the standard Microsoft ones and they work perfect for me

what’s the build quality compared to your others?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My friend has them and has no issues, I have the standard Microsoft ones and they work perfect for me

what’s the build quality compared to your others?

Superb. Extremely comfortable. Best feeling headphones I've used. Wish they worked.

RAL1992

Its deserved... I have both consoles and have had two controllers repaired for trigger issues on the PS5; The pulse headset is leagues behind the Xbox version thanks to Atmos but despite that I love them both the same.

At the end of the day, games are games and are meant to be enjoyed, whichever device you play on.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait, it has to be Atmos licenced headset? Even if you pay that Atmos headphone fee?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Series X is the better hardware and Playstation had the better games in the last year totally agree

I mean there's nothing to debate there; this is just a fact. Seems weird to give an award for something objectively measurable.

How to transfer your Far Cry 6 save data from PS4 to PS5​

1. You’ll need both the PS4 and the PS5 versions of Far Cry 6 installed.
  2. Load the PS4 version, then hit “new game.” (Weird, right?)
  3. Next to your save slot, you should see an icon that looks like a little cloud with an up arrow over it—the universal icon for “upload to cloud.” Click on that.
  4. Now, boot up the PS5 version.
  5. Go to “new game” again. (Yup, still weird.)
  6. Next to one of the save slots, see an icon that looks like a little cloud with a down arrow over it—the universal icon for “download from cloud.” Click on that.
  7. That’s it. You did it! You can repeat the process as often as you’d like, but you can only keep one save file in the cloud at once.

yup...painless.

This is on UBISOFT not on the SONY; that said the save transfer system for DEATH STRANDING wasn't as smooth as it could be and I believe the same could be said for GOT. The above though beats both in terms of hoops and is a consequence of UBI's cross-progression system (which works in theory).

Poppyseed

The other nominees were:

Oculus Quest 2
PS5
Xbox Series S

Uh......Switch wasn't even in the running?

Nintendo fans. You know what to do.

mountains dropping GIF by South Park
atomic bomb explosion GIF
The Quest 2 I just picked up last month and it has utterly blown my mind. Can’t wait for the evolution of this sort of PC-less VR with no cables or setup required.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
the bang and olufsen headphones provide it on series x they are £349 currantly on Amazon. They are designed to work with Xbox audio tech but come with a Bluetooth dongle so can be used with PS5 to
I like good audio, but I would only buy £349 headphones if I had like 100k and no debts.

IDappa

I haven't found a need to compare and contrast between PS5 and XSX in terms of game performance, neither have given me a need to do so. Quick resume is great on Xbox and moving from old gen to new in terms of saves is seemless, looking at you Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima. But other than that I have no clear favourite. PS5 has more exclusives at the moment but....

Only thing with XBox, for me, is the unstable download / update speed. Even though network connection speed test suggests full speed it trickles at c500K and then full speed and then 500k and sometimes just stalls.

And, yes, I have tried all the speedup tricks of closing running apps / games, resetting alternative MAC, reboot. PC and PS5 hit max speed on downloads without fluctuation.

I have tried this wired / wireless, different networks, yet always the same.....
Worst thing with xbox for me. Everytime I need to download something quickly my speeds are glacier like at best. Come to the conclusion microsoft throttles speeds at certain times of day as some times I'll be getting max download speed and expected to finish in 5 mins for it to then switch and estimate hours.

Topher

Gold Member
How's the whole atmos thing work? Never even seen the app for it.

The app is in MS store.

How to Set Up Dolby Atmos with a Soundbar or Home Theater System​

If you have a system with in-ceiling speakers or up-firing drivers in a soundbar, you can enable Dolby Atmos on your Xbox for immersive, overhead sound effects. It will also allow for Atmos audio in apps like Netflix that support it. You will likely need your Xbox plugged directly into your receiver or soundbar for this to work properly, unless you have a new TV that supports sending Dolby Atmos over eARC.

RK0vCoRJ.jpg

To enable Atmos, you'll need to download the Dolby Access app from the Microsoft Store. After launching the app, it will offer you a $15 license—you don't need to buy this unless you want Atmos for Headphones, as described in the next section.

coffinbirth

That's incorrect. Sony began production barely a month before MS (PS5 started in June, XSX started in July). That one-month lead would mean nothing now after 15 months have passed since production began for both consoles.

The actual difference is not because of that one-month lead but because Xbox ordered half the wafers than what Sony did for PS5.

And it all came down to market forecasts. PS5 was always expected to outsell Xbox 2:1 (going by previous trends and current market forecasts and brand perception), which is why Xbox only ordered 40K wafers, while Sony ordered 80K wafers to meet their respective demands.

Interesting that Phil Spencer said "late summer" when asked about when Series S/X went into production, but if people have them dated July, hard to dispute that. I was aware of the wafer disparity, but I had assumed that with the yield being in the 75-100 cpw range we would be well past that allotment anyways. Regardless, it's been in my anecdotal experience, much harder to secure Series consoles.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Interesting that Phil Spencer said "late summer" when asked about when Series S/X went into production, but if people have them dated July, hard to dispute that. I was aware of the wafer disparity, but I had assumed that with the yield being in the 75-100 cpw range we would be well past that allotment anyways. Regardless, it's been in my anecdotal experience, much harder to secure Series consoles.
Phil says a lot of things. Wafer disparity is the biggest reason here, and it's not by accident. On top of lower wafer volume, MS also used XSX chips to upgrade xCloud server blades to Series X, which also lowered the volume a little bit more.

Your experience: I must say you got lucky you got a PS5 that easily because for the majority, getting PS5 has been an almost impossible task. I know many people on this very forum who have been trying to secure a PS5 for the last 10 months without any success. XSX has also been relatively hard to find. XSS is the easiest to find, though. For instance, I can pick up an XSS right now off the shelf at retail price if I want to. Multiple local stores have it. I can get an XSX after waiting for a couple of weeks or paying $50 extra. But I can't get a PS5 until I'm willing to shell $300 premium. (I live in Asia).

Anyway, enjoy the XSX. It's a good console. Happy gaming!

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Phil says a lot of things. Wafer disparity is the biggest reason here, and it's not by accident. On top of lower wafer volume, MS also used XSX chips to upgrade xCloud server blades to Series X, which also lowered the volume a little bit.

Your experience: I must say you got lucky you got a PS5 that easily because for the majority, getting PS5 has been an almost impossible task. I know many people on this very forum who have been trying to secure a PS5 for the last 10 months without any success. XSX has also been relatively hard to find. XSS is the easiest to find, relatively. For instance, I can pick up an XSS right now off the shelf at retail price if I want to. Multiple local stores have it. I can get an XSX after waiting for a couple of weeks or paying $50 extra. But I can't get a PS5 until I'm willing to shell $300 premium. (I live in Asia).
This is true.

I live in the States, and I literally haven't seen a game console other than Switch in stores since Feb. of last year, and as a rabid toy collector, please believe I am in all of the retail stores within a large radius of my home daily. Not even a PS4 or a One S. Nothing. All of my acquisitions have been online and via alerts from Discord and Wario64 on Twitter. The running number is 6-2, but to be fair I wasn't trying to get a Series S for anyone, haha. I probably could've gotten a few of those. And no, I've not been scalping them, just helping out fam.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There are so many ps5s coming to the uk. They must know how important the weekly uk sales thread is haha.

it’s like every day there is a new headline of how to get your ps5. Sure, you may have to buy anbundle with a game or so but they are easier to get here.

both Amazing consoles, but I agree that Xbox has the hardware covered and Sony has had the better games for the first 9 months of this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom