• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trusted Reviews: Xbox Series X is the Best console of 2021

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Look
At the price of phones these days. Most people have phones worth over £1000 and change them every 2 years. Headphones will out last most peoples phone lifetime and a third of the price

Why are you even arguing about this?

People have different opinions man. Its just a fact.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Look
At the price of phones these days. Most people have phones worth over £1000 and change them every 2 years. Headphones will out last most peoples phone lifetime and a third of the price
Two things:
1. Majority of people switch their phone subsidized on a fixed-term contract
2. I highly doubt headphones will last more than a few years - My QC15 are going for 7 years now and I'm shocked they lasted that long

SpiceRacz

Office Space No GIF

Still love the Series X though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What aspects of the ps5 do you feel make it a better piece of hardware after first year of using both?
The controller is amazing even though I shut off the triggers the vibrations are second to none.

Honestly though for me the Series X wins in about all other categories for features that I like

I was lucky to snag both and if anyone has either one they are quite fortunate both are fantastic

Lognor

Banned
So does MS (Windows Sonic)
Yes, but Microsoft currently offer Atmos and they offered it on the Xbox One. Sony has NEVER offered Atmos. The PS4 doesn't have Atmos support nor does the PS5. The PS4 & PS5 also don't support Dolby Vision. Don't hold your breath for either feature to ever makes its way to the PS5. It seems Sony doesn't want to pay the licensing fees.

Really missing out. Dolby Atmos sounds fantastic on the XSX. I just picked up the Samsung HW-950A. *chef's kiss*

Ev1L AuRoN

PS5 vs Series X is tough.

Both consoles are great in their own right.

• Xbox have a killer deal with Game Pass;
  • It is more powerful, even though this superiority is rarely perceived outside of DF's videos at 400x zoom;
  • Sony Has great exclusives that push the technology;
  • Sony has an amazing controller that feel next-gen;

In my case, I'm primary a PC gamer, and the support Microsoft is giving to PC is amazing, and because of that, I don't feel compelled to buy an Xbox at all, all the exclusives are available on PC day one, and being a PC, I don't need to pay to play online, there is the PC exclusive games and other storefronts to buy from which means better prices.

So PS5, PC and Switch for me... If I don't have a PC then yes I would have an Xbox.

Lognor

Banned
PS5 vs Series X is tough.

Both consoles are great in their own right.

• Xbox have a killer deal with Game Pass;
  • It is more powerful, even though this superiority is rarely perceived outside of DF's videos at 400x zoom;
  • Sony Has great exclusives that push the technology;
  • Sony has an amazing controller that feel next-gen;

In my case, I'm primary a PC gamer, and the support Microsoft is giving to PC is amazing, and because of that, I don't feel compelled to buy an Xbox at all, all the exclusives are available on PC day one, and being a PC, I don't need to pay to play online, there is the PC exclusive games and other storefronts to buy from which means better prices.

So PS5, PC and Switch for me... If I don't have a PC then yes I would have an Xbox.
I'd say PS5 isn't really necessary either since more and more of their games are coming to PC. You can never play every game so I'm okay if I miss out on an occasional Sony game. I never played Uncharted 4, but now I'll have the chance when it comes to PC. If LTOU2, HZD2, etc don't come to PC I'll survive. But it is looking more and more likely that a lot of their flagship titles will come to PC.

So for me, I'm good without a PS5. I have a Switch and XSX (due to better selection of Game Pass offerings on the console). If Game Pass improves significantly on PC I *might* sell the XSX, but right now the XSX is too good to pass up. Console of the year afterall!!!

Ev1L AuRoN

I'd say PS5 isn't really necessary either since more and more of their games are coming to PC. You can never play every game so I'm okay if I miss out on an occasional Sony game. I never played Uncharted 4, but now I'll have the chance when it comes to PC. If LTOU2, HZD2, etc don't come to PC I'll survive. But it is looking more and more likely that a lot of their flagship titles will come to PC.

So for me, I'm good without a PS5. I have a Switch and XSX (due to better selection of Game Pass offerings on the console). If Game Pass improves significantly on PC I *might* sell the XSX, but right now the XSX is too good to pass up. Console of the year afterall!!!
The games that are coming are all PS4 titles that I played when they launched. It's completely different from Microsoft that launch the game day one and "free" to subscribers of gamepass

Lognor

Banned
The games that are coming are all PS4 titles that I played when they launched. It's completely different from Microsoft that launch the game day one and "free" to subscribers of gamepass
Okay, then yeah I can see the PS5 making sense. I'm not usually a day one purchaser due to how quickly games go on sale. I'm fine waiting on sales. I only buy Nintendo games day one since they hold value.

And given I have less time to play games nowadays I realize I can't play everything, even the most highly rated stuff, so I have to pick and choose. Game Pass works great for me and if a game doesn't click with me I have no problem moving on to something else. And the games that got the boot are the PS games.

Back in the day I did buy a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, but I sold it promptly after beating it. LOL.

Ev1L AuRoN

Okay, then yeah I can see the PS5 making sense. I'm not usually a day one purchaser due to how quickly games go on sale. I'm fine waiting on sales. I only buy Nintendo games day one since they hold value.

And given I have less time to play games nowadays I realize I can't play everything, even the most highly rated stuff, so I have to pick and choose. Game Pass works great for me and if a game doesn't click with me I have no problem moving on to something else. And the games that got the boot are the PS games.

Back in the day I did buy a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, but I sold it promptly after beating it. LOL.
It's not like I play everything on day one. It's just that I like to have the access to if I'm interested. So the combo PC / PS5 / Switch is the one who give the access to most games I might be interest in. Totally agree on game pass though

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
People who own both know whats up to tho. I have both and one has far better quality of life features.

I own both and neither have "far better quality of life features". Sorry, but I find that suggestion to be a massive exaggeration. XSX's best single QOL feature is Quick Resume and it is awesome. Smart delivery is a distant second to me. I'm not going to rehash over and over my issues with having to use officially licensed headsets. It is what it is. I had to buy another headset just for my Xbox. Similarly when it comes time to expand my PS5 then I have non-licensed options to choose from.

I'd say they both have unique features but neither is far and away better than the other. But this is all subjective. What you and I find to be important QOL features doesn't have to be the same. I don't think you should pretend, however, to know "what's up" for others though.

Damn, you triggered.

He's asking simple questions and you are responding with attitude, but he is the one who is triggered?

Sure Jan GIF

Last edited:
I own both and neither have "far better quality of life features". Sorry, but I find that suggestion to be a massive exaggeration. XSX's best single QOL feature is Quick Resume and it is awesome. Smart delivery is a distant second to me. I'm not going to rehash over and over my issues with having to use officially licensed headsets. It is what it is. I had to buy another headset just for my Xbox. Similarly when it comes time to expand my PS5 then I have non-licensed options to choose from.

I'd say they both have unique features but neither is far and away better than the other. But this is all subjective. What you and I find to be important QOL features doesn't have to be the same. I don't think you should pretend, however, to know "what's up" for others though.
That may be so, but essentially most of the hardware features (and QOL features) on the ps5 are also on the XSX plus the more immediate gestures like quick resume, smart deliver, dolby vision/atmos and what you left out VRR...the PS5 has the duel sense and them cards that no one really uses but is still cool to have I guess. Xbox as a console has a more complete feature set and thats why I would consider it a pretty easy win as hardware in the first year.

The controller is amazing even though I shut off the triggers the vibrations are second to none.

Honestly though for me the Series X wins in about all other categories for features that I like

I was lucky to snag both and if anyone has either one they are quite fortunate both are fantastic
The control has a unique feature set but I personally would rather use my Elite Series II than the duel sense because he duelsense is still a bit small for my paws and light weight wise. its a noticable upgrade over the ps4 controller but even then it feels more like sony outdid itself than outdid the xbox controller which, even not your favorite is still ergonomically the best. The rest of the feature set of both consoles leans in xbox favor since sony still has to implement VRR which is a pretty bad thing to have missing this far in. That being said the platform itself is still dope cause of the games, but ps5 not having a feature like quick resume when they have a game like returnal sucks.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That may be so, but essentially most of the hardware features (and QOL features) on the ps5 are also on the XSX plus the more immediate gestures like quick resume, smart deliver, dolby vision/atmos and what you left out VRR...the PS5 has the duel sense and them cards that no one really uses but is still cool to have I guess. Xbox as a console has a more complete feature set and thats why I would consider it a pretty easy win as hardware in the first year.

Ok.....that's your opinion so that is fine. Personally I think they both have advantages and disadvantages in many areas. Overall, it is a tie for me as there isn't enough difference to really matter. To each their own.

Edit: Actually, the major difference between the two for me is still Quick Resume. That would give XSX the edge in features.

The control has a unique feature set but I personally would rather use my Elite Series II than the duel sense because he duelsense is still a bit small for my paws and light weight wise. its a noticable upgrade over the ps4 controller but even then it feels more like sony outdid itself than outdid the xbox controller which, even not your favorite is still ergonomically the best. The rest of the feature set of both consoles leans in xbox favor since sony still has to implement VRR which is a pretty bad thing to have missing this far in. That being said the platform itself is still dope cause of the games, but ps5 not having a feature like quick resume when they have a game like returnal sucks.

I agree with you on Elite Series II. Best controller ever made, imo.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Honestly I prefer the Xbox controller overall as well as also having very large hands the Xbox controllers feels better with its stick placement

Plus by far I prefer the Elite 2 controller over stock that controller is great

Lognor

Banned

He's asking simple questions and you are responding with attitude, but he is the one who is triggered?

Sure Jan GIF
Nah, look at his post history. Not dealing with his nonsense. And am I fucking google? He can get his response on "what games support Atmos on XSX" much quicker than waiting for me to respond. He clearly does not care and is triggered because his PS5 doesn't (and likely never will) support Atmos.

IF you think he cares so much, why didn't you respond to his question on what games support Atmos?

Lognor

Banned
Honestly I prefer the Xbox controller overall as well as also having very large hands the Xbox controllers feels better with its stick placement

But Sony did improve the controller by making it larger and more hefty. I remember when people would say the Xbox controller was too big and the Dualshock was perfect for their hands. Now the PS5 controller is perfect? LOL

Roberts

Late to the party, but I’m glad the console got recognised. I’m a sucker for all kinds of nifty features that a lot of folks dont really care about, like auto-hdr, Heutchy method, and fps boost, so it is clearly a console made for me, but other stuff is great too. I’m pretty sure I’ve never played games on other consoles as much I do with XSX and I have less free time than I ever before.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah, look at his post history. Not dealing with his nonsense. And am I fucking google? He can get his response on "what games support Atmos on XSX" much quicker than waiting for me to respond. He clearly does not care and is triggered because his PS5 doesn't (and likely never will) support Atmos.

IF you think he cares so much, why didn't you respond to his question on what games support Atmos?

Because it seemed to me that he was asking what game sounded good to you with Atmos. There was no aggressiveness in his post. If I see anyone getting triggered here it is you.

For example....

But Sony did improve the controller by making it larger and more hefty. I remember when people would say the Xbox controller was too big and the Dualshock was perfect for their hands. Now the PS5 controller is perfect? LOL

You seem hell-bent on picking a console warrior fight.

I have both consoles (PS5 and XSX) and I wish my PS5 did half the things my XSX could. Whether that be the above and beyond BC with hdr and 4k or the double frame rates or quick resume or gamepass or actually allow a controller with back paddles.

FrankWza

Nah, look at his post history.
I’ll put my posts against this account you’re using now and whoever you were before you were banned or whoever’s alt you are. *chef's kiss*
He clearly does not care and is triggered because his PS5 doesn't (and likely never will) support Atmos.
this is wrong *chef's kiss*
The PS5 doesn't support Atmos
Sony has NEVER offered Atmos.
*chef's kiss*

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’ll put my posts against this account you’re using now and whoever you were before you were banned or whoever’s alt you are. *chef's kiss*

*chef's kiss*

The PS5 will allow Atmos from a UHD Blu-Ray MOVIE disc via passthrough. The console does not support it for games. Games only output in DD, DTS, or Tempest.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The bottom paddles kill my desire to use the Elite controller.

I find the Turtle Beach Recon better with it's headset amplifier and buttons instead of paddles.

Lognor

Banned
Because it seemed to me that he was asking what game sounded good to you with Atmos. There was no aggressiveness in his post. If I see anyone getting triggered here it is you.

For example....

You seem hell-bent on picking a console warrior fight.
Not sure why you're defending this guy so much (kinda sad, but whatevs), but he said:

"So every game out on Xbox supports atmos and sounds fantastic on your soundbar?"

That sounds like he is asking me what games sounded good to me? What planet are you from? Sounds like you're trying to defend a console warrior. Maybe because you yourself are one? Nah, that's crazy talk...right?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The bottom paddles kill my desire to use the Elite controller.

I find the Turtle Beach Recon better with it's headset amplifier and buttons instead of paddles.
My favorite controller is the Razer Wolv Ultimate for the Xbox though the Elite 2 is easily the best first party controller especially is someone can get sued to the paddles and trigger stops.

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure why you're defending this guy so much (kinda sad, but whatevs), but he said:

"So every game out on Xbox supports atmos and sounds fantastic on your soundbar?"

That sounds like he is asking me what games sounded good to me? What planet are you from? Sounds like you're trying to defend a console warrior. Maybe because you yourself are one? Nah, that's crazy talk...right?

FrankWza FrankWza is a good guy. He recently helped me quite a bit in choosing a headset for my XSX. He is very knowledgeable on such topics which is why I didn't think twice about his questions. Deflect all you want. Doesn't change a thing.

Quick resume is the best next gen feature out there tbh ,going into Forza horizon 4 in 3 seconds to where I left of is magical , the Xbox one version used to take like 3 minutes to get in to the game
U really have to use quick resume to appreciate how game changing it is

Top Bottom