• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tunic Review Thread

Orta

Banned
Gave it a quick hour before beddy-byes, God its so gorgeous looking. Am quite enjoying the vagueness of it, adds to the mystique. Combat is tough but I guess timing and more powerful weaponry might see to that.

Them graphics though, it would look beautiful on a Switch oled.

kevm3

I was anticipating this game heavily, but honestly, I really want to like this game more than I do. The graphics are gorgeous... My main gripe is with the combat. IT looks like they were going for Dark soul here with the heavy feel and delayed input, but when you start coming across a group of fast enemies or flying enemies that shoot beams, the controls feel clunky and annoying. The 'path forward' can also be hard to find because it can be obscured.

I'll keep trying to see if it gets better with weaponry upgrades though.

Last edited:
I could use some help. It involves the cards. How on earth do they work? Do you need a certain number equipped or a certain combination? I'm close to halfway though the game and still have no clue lol.

Drunkdadbr

Banned
Game really well designed til here, guy made his homework. Some big player quality in here. Felled a boss and got the first "triforce"

I was anticipating this game heavily, but honestly, I really want to like this game more than I do. The graphics are gorgeous... My main gripe is with the combat. IT looks like they were going for Dark soul here with the heavy feel and delayed input, but when you start coming across a group of fast enemies or flying enemies that shoot beams, the controls feel clunky and annoying. The 'path forward' can also be hard to find because it can be obscured.

I'll keep trying to see if it gets better with weaponry upgrades though.
The combat is 100% busted. There's no reason to even engage with it.

Put the game on no fail mode and go explore the world. Thats going to cover all the redeeming qualities in this game.

sigmaZ

Well, put in a good few hours. I'm done. I love the aesthetic and the music, but the design lacks merihari. The placement of everything and how everything flows just feels not very well thought thru. Death's Door impressed me so much because it had everything that good Japanese action/adventure games had with an amazing aesthetic. This game is a bit more a e s t h e t i c than game. I'm sure some will be able to bare their way through it, but...
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Last edited:

Alpha Male

I love the music, visuals and exploration but really disappointed witht no HDR...and that there seem to be ZERO actual puzzles? I've played about 4 or 5 hours and have yet to do what most would consider a traditional Zelda like puzzle. It would greatly increase my enjoyment of this game because the combat flat out sucks....it's so stiff and just not satisfying at all. The parry isn't good or reliable/useful.

During the 3 hit combo with the sword- Why the hell does your first sword strike knock the enemies back so far that you can't possibly reach them with the second hit unless there is something blocking the enemy from flying backwards...and then your last hit "thrust" may or may not even make contact because of this also.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Started this earlier today, the art style is incredibly captivating, lets see if the game loop keeps me hooked.

edit: And I will always tip my hat to developers to add options to reduce/stop things like screen shake etc. Makes it a much more pleasant experience for me.

Last edited:
I'm kind of disappointed. The difficulty is mostly just annoying. I get what he was going for, but when wandering around trying to figure out where to go next, as the game gives you little direction, being constantly pursued by difficult enemies is not fun.

Plus, the combat really isn't good enough to justify the difficulty. It suffices for a Link's Awakening style game where exploration and puzzle solving is the focus, but not as a serious difficult action game.

The graphics look simple, but clean and nice. The music is underwhelming and doesn't seem to fit.

And I'm all for not hand-holding in games, but to literally not tell you what ANY thing you get does is going too far in the other direction. I have all these equippable cards and not sure what any of them do.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm kind of disappointed. The difficulty is mostly just annoying. I get what he was going for, but when wandering around trying to figure out where to go next, as the game gives you little direction, being constantly pursued by difficult enemies is not fun.

Plus, the combat really isn't good enough to justify the difficulty. It suffices for a Link's Awakening style game where exploration and puzzle solving is the focus, but not as a serious difficult action game.

The graphics look simple, but clean and nice. The music is underwhelming and doesn't seem to fit.

And I'm all for not hand-holding in games, but to literally not tell you what ANY thing you get does is going too far in the other direction. I have all these equippable cards and not sure what any of them do.
Study the sheets you find.

Try this

r6rh12n.jpg

I tried this out last night and ended up getting sucked in completely and playing until 2 AM 😂

Game doesn't give you much help, but isn't that hard to figure out. Learn how to roll, get the sword ASAP, go for the shield as soon as you can and then most enemies are easy enough. You just have to learn their moves. There are also several ways to get to many of the locations, lots of secret pathways. I'm loving it so far. It does remind me of old school 90's games in how it doesn't hold your hand at all

Markio128

This looks great and I’ll probably pick it up once I’m done with my current games. Should be perfect for the summer drought.

Drunkdadbr

Banned

sounds like a 96 metacritic

Last edited:

adamsapple

Ok, I really would not have figured out that this game had a sprint option if it wasn't for the manuals lol.

I appreciate the minimalist approach but at least lay down the entire control scheme for the player at least :D

Dr Bass

Dang, I thought Captain Toad's remarks were well explained and thoughtful criticisms. This reply comes across like you thought he was whining, which he wasn't.

Being bombarded by difficult enemies when trying to explore and think is annoying. Makes sense to me.

The combat is too hard when considering the simple mechanics. Also makes sense to me.

I'm seeing similar comments from others in this thread.

Now I like a good joke and friendly ribbing more than anyone. This just comes across as mean spirited and pretentious. Maybe that wasn't your aim. But don't you review games? So anytime you have a complaint about a game is it ok to throw this back in your face and say try My Little Pony?

I realized pretty quickly that the combat was not particularly fun. Some of the very first enemies leave so small of a gap that you have to basically hit once then roll away. That is not hard to do, but it's just a little basic and doesn't feel fulfilling. Then I got to a mid-boss or something that had a single enemy as an add on. I had a twig and no shield. It also wasn't particularly difficult or complex, but just not that fun to literally hit once and then run several laps until the distance between the two enemies lined up just right that I could hit and not be hit back.

I turned on the no fail mode and it's honestly a better fit so far. Just easier for me to go explore around and focus on navigation instead of constantly fighting through a basic combat system. I'm enjoying the game this way. I still try to play well, but if I get hit it's fine and I just go keep exploring and don't have to waste time.

Dr Bass

I realized pretty quickly that the combat was not particularly fun. Some of the very first enemies leave so small of a gap that you have to basically hit once then roll away. That is not hard to do, but it's just a little basic and doesn't feel fulfilling. Then I got to a mid-boss or something that had a single enemy as an add on. I had a twig and no shield. It also wasn't particularly difficult or complex, but just not that fun to literally hit once and then run several laps until the distance between the two enemies lined up just right that I could hit and not be hit back.

I turned on the no fail mode and it's honestly a better fit so far. Just easier for me to go explore around and focus on navigation instead of constantly fighting through a basic combat system. I'm enjoying the game this way. I still try to play well, but if I get hit it's fine and I just go keep exploring and don't have to waste time.
10guile.jpg

SteadyEvo

Yeah, fuck this game with all due respect. It’s gorgeous and has relaxing music. That’s about it.

Where’s the middle between no information at all and hand holding? Got the sword and shield but the complete lack of direction isn’t my cup of tea.

We’ll see. I’m still playing

I got the platinum in Sifu! Nioh 2 was my GOTY. You'll see what I mean when you play it; maybe.

If I wanted to really get into Tunic, I could. But I don't think the combat system is really even good. I think Souls has rotted people's ability to critique any gameplay since it can be negated with "git gud." I had critiques of Elden Ring as well, and they turned out to be 100% right.

Dr Bass

I got the platinum in Sifu! Nioh 2 was my GOTY. You'll see what I mean when you play it; maybe.

If I wanted to really get into Tunic, I could. But I don't think the combat system is really even good. I think Souls has rotted people's ability to critique any gameplay since it can be negated with "git gud." I had critiques of Elden Ring as well, and they turned out to be 100% right.
I hear ya. I thought we were just throwing each other under the bus in this thread and I was experiencing FOMO.

anthony2690

Banned
I finished Tunic just now, I enjoyed the game, but happy it is over, not sure I can see myself going back too it to get the stuff I missed.

Towards the end I just found myself getting annoyed/frustrated by the difficulty/how horribly obscure it is to progress towards the end, I must have walked past some areas a few dozen times too.

Game has a lovely ost and art style, I missed 4 pages according to the end screen.

Edit: If you fancy a top down Zelda like game, play Deaths Door instead it is leagues better.

& The OST is incredible imo.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Found the map, now we're getting somewhere !

I'm hoping/expecting that later we'll be able to translate all this alien language too.

Bridges

This game is so good.

Death's Door did not click for me, but this, I immediately was captivated by all of it. The instruction manual mechanic is incredible, can't wait to keep going with it.

I enjoyed Death's Door and I'm enjoying this as well. Once you start finding pages it becomes much more enjoyable.
The combat is ok, not great, but I don't think it's terribly unfair especially once you start getting other equipment

Jaybe

I finished Tunic just now, I enjoyed the game, but happy it is over, not sure I can see myself going back too it to get the stuff I missed.

Towards the end I just found myself getting annoyed/frustrated by the difficulty/how horribly obscure it is to progress towards the end, I must have walked past some areas a few dozen times too.

Game has a lovely ost and art style, I missed 4 pages according to the end screen.

Edit: If you fancy a top down Zelda like game, play Deaths Door instead it is leagues better.

& The OST is incredible imo.

Well done. It’s super obtuse. Thankfully some information is getting out there I can google. I’ve got the three gems I place. The achievement is ‘what now?’ And that’s what I’m thinking. Calling it a night, and maybe some new walk throughs will be loaded by tomorrow :)

Batiman

Banned
This game is so good.

Death's Door did not click for me, but this, I immediately was captivated by all of it. The instruction manual mechanic is incredible, can't wait to keep going with it.
This is good news. I have it installed and gonna give it a go soon. I bought deaths door day 1 and for some reason I found it very mediocre. Puzzles weren’t fun and nether was the combat. I’m hoping this clicks better with me.

anthony2690

Banned
Well done. It’s super obtuse. Thankfully some information is getting out there I can google. I’ve got the three gems I place. The achievement is ‘what now?’ And that’s what I’m thinking. Calling it a night, and maybe some new walk throughs will be loaded by tomorrow :)

To set you on your way :) (Spoiler warning)
go hold A on a gold sqaure, they are in fact fast travel teleporters, then go to the one in the very middle, die, and then the game proceeds onwards to the next half :)

Banjo64

cumsessed
YxowdCp.jpg

Orslj7w.jpg

z5tRrQy.jpg

This game, a one man effort, getting review
bombed on MC has to be the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.

I usually couldn’t give a toss about review bombing, but this is pathetic.

Game is at a 7.2 user score.

adamsapple

YxowdCp.jpg

Orslj7w.jpg

z5tRrQy.jpg

This game, a one man effort, getting review
bombed on MC has to be the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.

I usually couldn’t give a toss about review bombing, but this is pathetic.

Game is at a 7.2 user score.

This is why user scores mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things lol.

Top Bottom