• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tunic Review Thread

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Added to my wishlist. I probably won't get a chance to play any time soon as I'm still knee deep in Elden Ring & spring is fast approaching so I will be outside most of my free time. Maybe this fall I will pick it up.

Notabueno

Banned
Is there a way to petition for a removal of Digital Trends on OpenCritic?

I'm serious, and it's not the first time, we all know the huge problems there is with corrupted reviews either way, and how they impact the valuation of VGs, therefor the volume of games and quality.

If you're interested PM me, I'm very serious and contacted OpenCritic to see options.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is there a way to petition for a removal of Digital Trends on OpenCritic?

I'm serious, and it's not the first time, we all know the huge problems there is with corrupted reviews either way, and how they impact the valuation of VGs, therefor the volume of games and quality.

If you're interested PM me, I'm very serious and contacted OpenCritic to see options.

b40L74a.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Few hours in, love it. Done the first big boss for the first gem in the forest. Definitely tougher than Death's Door already although the combat isn't as fluid sadly, maybe just need a little more getting used to it. Everything else is just great, will sink my teeth into it more over the weekend.

I played Link's Awakening when I was a child, and I love the remake, but I love new games more. If Nintendo's never going to give us new 2D Zelda, I'm glad somebody else is.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This just blew my mind, ive never really tried cloud gaming too much. Chilling in bed and just though, eff it I’ll fire up the Xbox app and set it installing on my series x for tomorrow. It just had a play now button on the screen so I set it downloading and then clicked play now. Within one minute I’d added the cloud gaming thing to my iPad Home Screen and fired up the game. Got to the title screen and though shit, can’t you use Xbox pads on iPads lol. Grabbed the series S controller from my daughters room and now I’ve just been playing for the last two hours. A game like this seems to run perfectly on x cloud.

really Enjoying it so far and genuinely impressed with cloud gaming. Was perfectly responsive.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
This just blew my mind, ive never really tried cloud gaming too much. Chilling in bed and just though, eff it I’ll fire up the Xbox app and set it installing on my series x for tomorrow. It just had a play now button on the screen so I set it downloading and then clicked play now. Within one minute I’d added the cloud gaming thing to my iPad Home Screen and fired up the game. Got to the title screen and though shit, can’t you use Xbox pads on iPads lol. Grabbed the series S controller from my daughters room and now I’ve just been playing for the last two hours. A game like this seems to run perfectly on x cloud.

really Enjoying it so far and genuinely impressed with cloud gaming. Was perfectly responsive.

It seems to be improving rapidly, I had a quick go of Dishonored today to get some reward points and you couldn't tell it wasn't downloaded, they seem to be making great strides with the tech.

Duchess

Apparently, this is a timed Xbox game, so I imagine it'll drop on PlayStation consoles towards the end of the year.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think it depends. There is difficulty and then there is wasting my time (trash map systems, lack of save points, boss runbacks). And I feel like reviewers are too afraid to call it out cause they dont want a legion of git gud fans attacking them.
Agree. Halo on Legendary is difficult but fun. What you're describing is a game being tedious and NOT fun for what and how I personally like to play. That's why I have no interest in FROM Software games.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The Digital Trends 2/5 is because the journo couldn't figure out what to do.

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF
Clicks!! But I can see a guy giving a 3 or 4 out of 5 but a 2 on anything is too harsh. That is why the 5 point scale sucks. It's basically a 100%, 80% or then drops to a rage inducing 60% and unfathomable 40%. Most reviewers scales go from 60-100 (that's the reality) so in a 5 pint scale there are only really 3 options: Perfect! Pretty good or Awful.

sigmaZ

I know this is on GamePass but PLEASE consider buying this game. This is a solo (mostly) effort by one dev and it has taken them years to finish this.

They cemented their deal with Microsoft before GamePass was even a thing, who knows what their engagement stipulations (or whatever they are calling it now) are on the back end.

I threw up a giveaway for a copy of the game as well (steam code). Enjoy folks!!

*edit* I have nothing to do with this game or the developer/publisher of this game.

Fox Tv Crying GIF by ScreamQueens

Jaybe

Fun game. The magic grapple hook shot thing opens the game up, plus can be used in combat… “get over here”. A fair amount of secret paths which are fun to come by but it can be obtuse especially wrt items and their purpose. Thankfully enough guides and tips are published already.

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

Having a solid time, combat is the weakest element thus far. Visuals are gorgeous, digging the soundtrack. The level design is solid, the secret paths are neat to find, even if they mostly just yield currency rewards.

Found a funny bug while w/the Librarian. I hookshotted him, then I GOT dragged to him, out of the arena, died, black screen upon revive :D

I was also going to pick it up on Steam when I noticed it was on GP. Neat!

Robb

Gold Member
Those are some fantastic scores! I tried the demo thinking It’d be more of a Zelda-type game and got pretty disappointed.

It’s not for me, but I’m glad it turned out great after all this time.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

A lot people mentioning death's door as a comparison.
See I love my metroidvania and I really didn't like death's door, seriously didn't get the hype.

This is surely better?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
See I love my metroidvania and I really didn't like death's door, seriously didn't get the hype.

This is surely better?

Neither are metroidvanias, they're both Zelda with very light Souls influence but this one moreso than the other. Death's Door having better combat (so far) is the biggest let-down but the rest of the game is great.

Looks like it could be a good one to play with the kids

Don't let the aesthetic fool you, it's not easy.

Orta

Banned
I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question, what the hell is a Souls like game? Or Rogue like, I see it all the time???

elliot5

This is surely better?
I’m liking this a little more. It’s more Zelda than Metroid, but both have a bit of Souls flair.

Roberts

I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question, what the hell is a Souls like game? Or Rogue like, I see it all the time???
Souls-like is when developers are influenced by From Software games and their mechanics - Dark Souls being the most known one. Games with a specific combat (rolling and stamina), metroidvania-like level design where the end are of the game could be mere feet away from the beginning, but you have to go a long way to unlock it first and the way you level up and save your progress.

Last edited:
I'm playing through it right now and having a good time. The game makes you figure out everything on your own with no hand holding. Even the little pages you find throughout the game that help can be pretty vague. I was struggling quite a bit at first. I had gotten a decent way into the game without any stat upgrades, because I didn't know how to upgrade lol. Once I got that out of the way everything got back to being fun again. Hardest part for me right now is knowing where I should be heading next, but that is also part of the challenge.

Edit: I will say that there are a ton of hidden passages and little secrets which I have been enjoying immensely. I'm happy that this game is living up to the anticipation and wait.

Last edited:

Ultradsa

Same here & I dig the way the game makes you struggle through a section and reward you with the item that makes the same section a breeze, then rinse repeat. It's insane that this game was made by a single person!

AV

Getting tired of the combat being so clunky. Straight off the back of finishing Elden Ring this just feels incredibly stiff and not fluid at all, Death's Door did exactly what Tunic should have done.

A massive shame because everything else is excellent, but it just gets to the point where it's not fun, especially with enemies that fly miles out of reach making you wait to even fight. Will come back tomorrow and still plan on finishing the game, but I gotta say I'm disappointed.

Top Bottom