• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Y0ssarian

Banned
I recently watched all of Star Trek Discovery on Netflix. I liked season 1, season 2 was okay and third season was Garbo. I'm thinking about watching the one with Patrick Stewart next

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Going to withdraw this recommendation, season 4 is a fucking disaster. The show especially ep 9 has gone full woke.

I am actually trying it out now, three episodes in. It is very good but the constant flashbacks are tiring and kill the momentum every single time.

bitbydeath

I am actually trying it out now, three episodes in. It is very good but the constant flashbacks are tiring and kill the momentum every single time.
Freddie’s a fantastic actor but sadly it becomes less about him later on. Autism must be too low on the woke pyramid scheme. Seasons 1 and 2 are the best.

Great Hair

Banned
Kind of enjoyed Ted Lasso Season 1, but Season 2 makes no sense. Out of the blue that one "tough" guy has a 6y? old daughter ...

Season 2E1
Football No GIF by Apple TV

That's his niece.I forget the backstory of why they're together so much, but does it really matter? Pretty minor story beat in my opinion.
My bad, but she shows up out of nowhere. Maybe i should give it a 2nd chance.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Kind of enjoyed Ted Lasso Season 1, but Season 2 makes no sense. Out of the blue that one "tough" guy has a 6y? old daughter ...

Season 2E1
Football No GIF by Apple TV

That's his niece.I forget the backstory of why they're together so much, but does it really matter? Pretty minor story beat in my opinion.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Borat’s American Lockdown & Debunking Borat - on Amazon Prime. It's a reality show in which Borat moves in with two strangers who honestly have no idea who he is, and they proceed to go through typical Borat moments. Pretty funny.

Edit: I should mention, they're both conspiracy theorists and during the show the producers provide truthful, accurate information, along with elucidation on how these people arrived at their conspiracy theory conclusions to begin with. So in that way it's different from the typical Borat stuff

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
The walking dead
I got to end of season 3 and that's all I could take prob mind but fuck me was the bleakest show ever yes I know its the apocalypse zombies etc but I just googled who died to save me from countless hours of grimness.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rn4PT1M.jpg

Y: The Last Man

Thank god, it's good. Real good. It feels like I've been waiting on this thing for a decade. It's one of my favorite stories of all time, one of those rare comics that rise to a level of respectability alongside proper literature (like Sandman, or The Swamp Thing).

They've done a good job at adapting each of the key characters, and inserted some new ones to help fill and flesh out a long-form retelling. It's always hard for me watching adaptations of books or comics that I love, but they're doing it well here. Better than the Witcher, even, because they're casting these characters properly and it seems, so far, they're staying true to how they actually behaved and spoke in the comics - with some slight variation for Agent 355 to I assume allow the actress inert a little more humanity and vulnerability early on. I mean the casting of Yorick feels absolutely spot on, as does his sister.

They added a little pointless drama to the backstory of Hero, his sister, which I feel helps to cast her in some kind of tragic light that isn't really jibing fully, but it's still early.

Anyways it's only on Hulu. Three episodes dropped, and from here on out it's going weekly.

Edit: OK, got to episode three and they're departing pretty dramatically from the comics. Like, jumping over about three years worth of stories from the comics. Getting a little nervous now.....

Last edited:
Rn4PT1M.jpg

Thank god, it's good. Real good. It feels like I've been waiting on this thing for a decade. It's one of my favorite stories of all time, one of those rare comics that rise to a level of respectability alongside proper literature (like Sandman, or The Swamp Thing).

They've done a good job at adapting each of the key characters, and inserted some new ones to help fill and flesh out a long-form retelling. It's always hard for me watching adaptations of books or comics that I love, but they're doing it well here. Better than the Witcher, even, because they're casting these characters properly and it seems, so far, they're staying true to how they actually behaved and spoke in the comics - with some slight variation for Agent 355 to I assume allow the actress inert a little more humanity and vulnerability early on. I mean the casting of Yorick feels absolutely spot on, as does his sister.

They added a little pointless drama to the backstory of Hero, his sister, which I feel helps to cast her in some kind of tragic light that isn't really jibing fully, but it's still early.

Anyways it's only on Hulu. Three episodes dropped, and from here on out it's going weekly.

Edit: OK, got to episode three and they're departing pretty dramatically from the comics. Like, jumping over about three years worth of stories from the comics. Getting a little nervous now.....
I'm a big fan of the comics. I'm looking forward to watching this

jason10mm

Gold Member
Warrior on Hbomax. This is the tawdry, sexy, action show I've been missing since stuff like Black Sails and Banshee ended. It isn't as glorious as Spartacus (but what could ever rival that show?) but the first couple eps have great fights, hot women, and lots of betrayal, just what I wanted.

About Chinese gangs in post Civil War San Francisco. All the Irish characters are about 1 step away from dancing a jig in a leprechaun suit but then again every Asian girl is a brothel prostitute so I guess the stereotypes cancel out or something.

Rn4PT1M.jpg

I was trying really hard to finish episode 3... but I gave up. Shit's really really boring imo.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
batman the animated series GIF by Maudit
Batman the animated series

Looks like a modern day show, insane amount of good art and activities Batman does, his investigation powers, Bruce’s respect in the community, knowing the cops. Don’t make the mistake I did and miss out on this show

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
FAIetNrVcAIEWUb

I am not a fan of anime, but someone told me about a show about a red panda who's office life sucks so to cope she belts out hardcore heavy metal at karaoke or just within her own head: Aggretsuko

This is the first anime series I ever tried that I liked enough to immediately watch a new episode. It's funny, should be relatable to many 20-somethings working office jobs and living in the city, and she gets hardcore.

Tried reaaaaally hard to keep watching Midnight Mass on Netflix yesterday since everyone seems to like it... 2 episodes in and so far it's pretty boring.

VN1X

Banned
SEE season 2 episode 1. Pretty much picks up right where the first season ended so it took be a bit to get into again and remember all the developments. Glad to see it back though as it's such a unique and entertaining show. Do we have a dedicated thread for it?

VN1X

Banned
FAIetNrVcAIEWUb

I am not a fan of anime, but someone told me about a show about a red panda who's office life sucks so to cope she belts out hardcore heavy metal at karaoke or just within her own head: Aggretsuko

This is the first anime series I ever tried that I liked enough to immediately watch a new episode. It's funny, should be relatable to many 20-somethings working office jobs and living in the city, and she gets hardcore.
Don't want to be *that* guy but you should really give anime a fair shake (if you haven't already) as it blows the West out of the water when it comes to well... so many things lol. Even shounen shows like My Hero Academia take the hero mythology to a next level. There's so much heart and uplifting messages in that show but also features a ton of adult subject matter and some really brutal hard to watch scenes as well. Makes all the Marvel/DC cartoons look like Newgrounds in terms of animation quality as well lol.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Finished Brooklyn 99 (the final season) which was rushed and meh.

Starting ‘You’ - Season 3 on Netflix, first episode was fantastic. This has basically become the new Dexter.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I tried to watch Maid on Netflix but it was so boring. Checking out Extra Curricular now which is much more interesting.

Great Hair

Banned
Ted Lasso Season 2 is not good, it is shocking to see this show winning an Emmy. I dont think it´s funny at all, nor are the dialogues or characters any good written. Wish i stopped watching, started to fast-forward quite a few times. They are all throw-away at times.

They realized Coach Beard was just sitting there, not getting any attetion at all, so they came up with something for him (a whole episode about him) .. only to put him back in the same drawer.

This shit is all over the place, everyone is getting 10min of spotlight. Everyone has to tell their story (except for the bar lady ... guess she too old), but this shit is supposed to be about Ted Lasso and not about boring Roy Dent or him walking around thru the city in search of a dentist.

Ever heard of yellow pages, you dumbfuck writer. Ted Lasso´s breakdown was the highlight of Season 2. If Ted Lasso did not have any panic attacks, he would have had barely any reason to be on screen. I find it quite frankly terrible.

A sad white man is still a white man ...

teezzy

Banned
fac4f3e6db29200fbb2c5ef9c7d849de.png

this show is just too american for me--bailed after a few episodes. I wonder what the brits think of it? although I've found that they are the only ones that tend to like this kind of cheesy american optimism and low hanging fruit jokes more than the Americans themselves,

I'm super curious about Ted Lasso

Consider me a lover of American cheese and low hanging optimistic fruits, I guess.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm super curious about Ted Lasso

Consider me a lover of American cheese and low hanging optimistic fruits, I guess.
Season one was ok. Me and the wife lost interest a few episodes into season 2 took a very hard dive in quality.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Introducing my wife to Narcos on Netflix. Just started season one and she's loving it!

Such a great and underrated TV series.

Squid Game and Hellbound were both fantastic. Nice to see shows live up to the hype, as I usually struggle to enjoy most Netflix shows that everybody else seem to be enjoying.

These ones just really took to me, and definitely surprised by how much I've enjoyed these foreign shows. Definitely going to scope more of Netflix's library.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wrapped up episode three of Cowboy Bebop live action. I am not an anime person so I've never seen an episode of it. I like this live action show a lot. It's stylish, the cinematography is slick, the acting and humor is good, the banter between Jet and Spike is great, it's a cool universe they reside within, and more. Kind of surprised it got panned by so many people on social media. I am definitely going to finish this entire season.

Last edited:
quite late to it but finished watching Santa Clarita Diet. god i loved it and wish there was more. oh well.

also been watching Wheel of Time and the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Sunny is on its 15th season and i know we're only 2 episodes in but it never gets old. Wheel of Time was a bit rough in the first couple episodes but i'm hooked.

Been seeing Yellowjackets. 5 episode miniseries, 4 are out so far and it's pretty obvious already that there will be more.

Plenty of mistery and the characters are good. Christina Ricci is in this too.

Durien

I am hooked on the amazon show Community. I dig it. It can be dumb at times it some of the episodes are pretty damn funny.

olivegirl

Neo Member
Ratched series is cool. I watched it steadily, time flew by unnoticed. It is not for everyone, many will think that this is some kind of cruel nonsense. But I see something more in this, a very high-quality picture, it does not load, although it keeps it in suspense, everything is beautiful, juicy, and of high quality. And of course, everything is exaggerated here, black humor, you need to understand it. I think this is a very worthy novelty, everyone played just fine! I recommend!)

Been seeing Yellowjackets. 5 episode miniseries, 4 are out so far and it's pretty obvious already that there will be more.

Plenty of mistery and the characters are good. Christina Ricci is in this too.

Holy crap this show is so good. Yesterday's episode was nuuuuts.

Here's the opening.

My favorite shows I watched In 2021

Dark Season 1 - 3: A+
Made In Abyss Season 1: A+
Made In Abyss Dawn Of The Deep Soul: A+
Chernobyl: A+
Gleipnir: A+
Dororo: A+
Tales From The Loop Season 1: A+
Sweet Tooth: A+
Redo of Healer Season 1: A+
Servant Season 1 + 2: A
Modern Love Season 1: A
Land Of The Lustrous Season 1: A
Attack On Titan Season 1: A
Attack On Titan Season 2: A
Attack On Titan Season 3: A
Attack On Titan Season 4 Part 1: A
Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 1: A
Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 2: A

AJUMP23

1883 - so far the first two episode have been great.
Cobra Kai S4 - I like the show, it is cheesy but they hit all the good Nostalgia notes. I am about halfway through this season.

Top Bottom