• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Tams

Gold Member
Getting through Witcher, Cobra Kai, and finished Wheel of Time.

I didn't hate Wheel of Time (pretty much carried by Rosemond Pike).

Witcher and Cobra Kai are to be savored.
Rosamund Pike is great. Definitely saves the show. She's also the producer though, so I wonder how much of the mess is her fault.

Daniel Henney is pretty good too. The rest... at best meh.

Just finished my third viewing of The Sopranos, I’m still catching new shit.

Also just finished Hawkeye over the holidays.

Finished Cobra Kai season 4. Amazing that a show can be so shitty and good at the same time. Overall it was a much better season than last in my opinion.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Started The Expanse a couple of weeks ago and have binge watched all the way up to season 6 already. I should say re-started, since it took a few tries for it to stick. I can't for the life of me figure out why, since I do love me some sci-fi. I know it's blasphemous among most fans, but I think it was Avasarala that initially put me off. That gravely voice and just the whole cadence of how she delivers her lines, running out of breath before eking out the last few words - yeah, it doesn't do it for me. In my constant quest for validation, I often search the internet for opinions from like-minded people, and those nerds on Reddit basically nut themselves over her. To me, it's like if a cigarette could talk.

Either way, terrific show, I think I would slot it into one of my top 10 all-time favorites.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Started The Expanse a couple of weeks ago and have binge watched all the way up to season 6 already. I should say re-started, since it took a few tries for it to stick. I can't for the life of me figure out why, since I do love me some sci-fi. I know it's blasphemous among most fans, but I think it was Avasarala that initially put me off. That gravely voice and just the whole cadence of how she delivers her lines, running out of breath before eking out the last few words - yeah, it doesn't do it for me. In my constant quest for validation, I often search the internet for opinions from like-minded people, and those nerds on Reddit basically nut themselves over her. To me, it's like if a cigarette could talk.

Either way, terrific show, I think I would slot it into one of my top 10 all-time favorites.
I started it recently too and did the exact same thing. Hopefully will stick with it this time.

Raven117

Gold Member
Rosamund Pike is great. Definitely saves the show. She's also the producer though, so I wonder how much of the mess is her fault.

There are like a zillion producers on the show, so I don't know.

It could have easily been the adventures of Moiraine and Lan and been a wonderful show. The other characters were fine....Some episodes were way stronger than others. I am looking forward to the next season, just not with baited breath.

Portugeezer

Rosamund Pike is brilliant in the show. I enjoyed wheel of time a lot, definitely due to her fineness.

Tams

Gold Member

I like Avasarala, but yeah her voice is a bit off-putting.

But really the whole Nagata family storyline is the most annoying thing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So apparently S06E06 of The Expanse is the final of the series from what ppl say. I really liked most seasons, it's an awesome sci fi show like BSG minus the shit that became by the end but, I'd never guess that's the last we'll get, there are things introduced in the season that go completely unresolved, it's more like a cliff hanger for what comes next, I don't understand, it feels like any other season that would go on to continue the story, nothing hints at the end of anything.
Like the ships getting lost through the gates, was that really introduced only to get them to clevery kill Inaros through that or what? And what's going on with the kid resurrected and seeing shit like protomolecule vision or what's being created above the planet's sky again presumably by the protomolecule?

Euphoria. Got off to a bloody start. Was a bit confusing, HBO took so long to make it I feel I need to rewatch season 1 again.

Toast of Tinsletown. Britain's worst actor makes a welcome return, this time to the US.

Zoom GIF

Last edited:

Durien

I binged Community, Scrubs, and now I am watching Cougar Town. It cracks me up to see the people from scrubs aying different (yet similar characters) I watched the first couple of seasons of Scrubs way back when but after binge watching it the last week, IMHO, it is a really well written show. I think it works because it seems like the cast has chemistry. I also think they balance tragedy and comedy fairly well. The 3 shows are fairly formulaic but I still dig it.

Nico_D

With kids we've watched in the last couple of months
- The Shield (the whole show, was a rewatch me, even better than the first time)
- The Witcher, season 2
- The Wheel of Time

and just yesterday we started one of my all time favorite shows: Farscape.

With wife:
- The Good Wife (it has slowly turned pretty mediocre and I don't think we are able to finish the last season)
- Frankenstein Chronicles (pretty good!)
- The Expanse, final season (awesome, now I have to read the last three books)

I'm also watching Altered Carbon alone as my wife has already seen it. I avoided it far too long because they advertised it with Mackey's face and I can't stand him. Turns out, he isn't in the first season. Shame's on me.

Last edited:
Been rewatching The Mandolorian. Just got past episode 1 of season 2. I still vastly prefer the second season to the first

Been watching Book of Boba Fett. Good show other than the times that Robert Rodriguez directs. It suddenly turns into Spy Kids lol

MastAndo

Gold Member
I started Hannibal last night for the first time, and watched three episodes. I don't think I've ever had this "complaint" about a show before, but it seems well, exceptionally fast-paced. Murders just happening in bunches, characters getting introduced with seemingly integral parts in the story and in the next few moments, they're gone. There have also been a few way too coincidental sequences as well.

Also, I get that they're exceptionally sharp minds, but both Will and Hannibal seem to figure things out instantaneously in almost a superhuman way. Perhaps strange to say when it involves a character who dines on people, but it all seems a little "out there" ...then again, this is all probably way too premature and I suspect it'll make more sense as it progresses.

It's more of an observation than a complaint though, as I'm very much enjoying it so far. For a network TV show, production quality is off the charts. I'm really digging Mads Mikkelsen as Lecter and the rest of the cast is mostly strong as well. I'll be sticking with this one.

EDIT: I'm a dope - for some reason I was watching it more as a "serial" show not realizing this is a more traditional network TV procedural show with a new villain each episode.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Been getting into watching a lot of short clips of Brooklyn Nine-Nine on YT. Don't know why, but I find it really funny. It's kind of stupid humor, but eh... Think I'm gonna start watching the full eps, starting with season 1.

Been getting into watching a lot of short clips of Brooklyn Nine-Nine on YT. Don't know why, but I find it really funny. It's kind of stupid humor, but eh... Think I'm gonna start watching the full eps, starting with season 1.
Funny show but I stopped watching once those 2 people finally got together.

BlueAlpaca

81eQCA+20OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just finished watching The Alienist season 1.

Boring, slow, overlong, predictable and unoriginal. I just needed to watch something while I'm on the treadmill so I guess it was good for something.

Last edited:
Chris%2520Browning%2520as%2520Holden%2C%2520Ben%2520Barnes%2520as%2520Logan%2520and%2520Jimmi%2520Simpson%2520as%2520Willi....jpg

I've been watching Season 1 of Westworld. I dunno why I held off on this show for so damn long, but man, what an absolute trip. Was totally engrossed after the first episode. The concept is beyond awesome.

Very good cast list too. I keep seeing actors pop up and I'm like "Hey, it's that guy!"

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Blade Runner: Black Lotus - it has, by far, the best and tightest fight choreography and fight cinematography of any animated show I've seen. Seriously impressive. The story through the first episode is your pretty bog standard, partially amnesiac, lost in the city tale, but it has style and plenty of that Blade Runner vibe.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have discovered the Gaming + Anime section on Pluto TV. The version of X-Play here on what they call G4 Select is extremely similar to the old one (which is almost entirely different from the live shows on Twitch or YouTube). There are a bunch of shows for games and comics and anime, and though I am not into it, a bunch of modern anime serials. Cool service. Will need to check and see if it has a PS5 app later.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
signed up for netflix a couple weeks ago and so far have watched:

ozark s4 part 2 - enjoyed it but the ending sucked
better call saul s6 part 1 (of what's released so far) - it's soo good but i know i'm missing a lot of stuff. once it's finished i'm doing a rewatch of both BCS + BB.
all of us are dead - was fun but dragged on too long
russian doll s2 - loved s1 but had to force myself to watch this
halston - i'll watch anything with ewan mcgregor. he was fantastic as usual
dead to me S1 - enjoyed it and will be watching S2 soon.
atypical s1 + 2 - have seen it advertised on Netflix for a few years but never watched it. i love it. i could've binged S3 + 4 by now but i don't want it to end.

Blade Runner: Black Lotus - it has, by far, the best and tightest fight choreography and fight cinematography of any animated show I've seen. Seriously impressive. The story through the first episode is your pretty bog standard, partially amnesiac, lost in the city tale, but it has style and plenty of that Blade Runner vibe.
where can i watch this?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Finally discovered NYPD Blue. I decided I'd start with the final season, and if I enjoyed it several episodes in, start from season one. Three episodes in this is really good as far as these broadcast station cop procedurals go. Kind of a weird show to watch as I ate breakfast and got my morning cycling in (usually a time for podcasts), but I'll be going back to season one to see if it's bingeable.

Konnor

Chris%2520Browning%2520as%2520Holden%2C%2520Ben%2520Barnes%2520as%2520Logan%2520and%2520Jimmi%2520Simpson%2520as%2520Willi....jpg

I've been watching Season 1 of Westworld. I dunno why I held off on this show for so damn long, but man, what an absolute trip. Was totally engrossed after the first episode. The concept is beyond awesome.

Very good cast list too. I keep seeing actors pop up and I'm like "Hey, it's that guy!"

Do yourself a favor and stop at season 1. The show becomes a boring incomprehensible mess after that.

swaffles23

Started watching the TV show "FROM" on Epix. I've never even heard about it until Mike from redlettermedia brought it up. I'm only in the 3rd episode but it's pretty interesting. It's basically a horror version of Lost

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm hooked on The Offer. It's about the making of the movie The Godfather, and it's almost too good of a story to be true (I am sure they have embellished quite a bit). It starts slow but gets so damned good by episode 3. Episode 6 is just fantastic.

Laptop1991

Stranger Things, good
1st Episode of The Essex Serpent, not hooked yet,
Breaking Bad starting season 4, never watched it before really enjoying it.
Obi Wan Kenobi, was just ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom