• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So hard to capture pics on my iPhone and unless someone is looking at them on a great display doesn’t do them justice either. A couple of more shots here from that Hisense 65 H9G.
68PPJVU.jpg

Kqe3Gzl.jpg

I personally think that Hisense is a very solid option to buy! Insane 180 dimming zones! I'm actually tempted for a comparison between the two, although I believe Hisense will have a clear edge in blacks!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I personally think that Hisense is a very solid option to buy! Insane 180 dimming zones! I'm actually tempted for a comparison between the two, although I believe Hisense will have a clear edge in blacks!

And taking into account the Hisense is $500 cheaper which will probably pay for a new console It makes it a hard TV to beat if you mainly watch movies and sometimes game on it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And taking into account the Hisense is $500 cheaper which will probably pay for a new console It makes it a hard TV to beat if you mainly watch movies and sometimes game on it.

WOW! I thought it would be an expensive model to have all those dimming zones! It's a very delicious tv in that case!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
WOW! I thought it would be an expensive model to have all those dimming zones! It's a very delicious tv in that case!

Yeah it’s $900 here in the US if you can find it it’s sold out everywhere.

I have to turn down the backlight in the evening as hitting 1000 nits kind of hurts the eyes at times.

The site says 132 zones for the 55 which is still pretty good imo

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah it’s $900 here in the US if you can find it it’s sold out everywhere.

I have to turn down the backlight in the evening as hitting 1000 nits kind of hurts the eyes at times.

The site says 132 zones for the 55 which is still pretty good imo

Very interesting TV, indeed! You better turn the auto light adjustement sensor on for your Sony TV, it helps a lot adjusting accordingly, and automatically. My old Sony TV has it as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure if anyone saw this. Not sure if these are comming to america. They seem to be made for next gen consoles and may be good oled alternatives.

Looks too expensive to what's offering. It's only offering 120Hz through DisplayPort 1.4 (32.4Gbps compared to HDMI 2.1 48Gbps), and has only the old HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps):

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great details in there. Better watch it all

Timestamped about gaming (NOTE: Sony X900H starts at $999 for 55", not $1400)

Last edited:
Monitors are straight trash. Broke down and bought a 48 inch CX as my next monitor despite being way too large. Unless you are looking for the most dirt cheap display imaginable, monitors are so terrible.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Monitors are straight trash. Broke down and bought a 48 inch CX as my next monitor despite being way too large. Unless you are looking for the most dirt cheap display imaginable, monitors are so terrible.

I'm not sure if there is any monitor out there with HDMI 2.1, and DP 1.4 is falling behind massively (48Gbps vs 32.4Gbps) and HDMI 2.0 is outdated (18Gbps). Buying 1080p or even 1440p monitor in 2020 is pretty regressive, not to mention that they're usual overpriced.

You've picked the crown jewel there! Just try to activate the auto hide for the bars and use full screen on PC, just in case to avoid any potential burn in or banding.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is any monitor out there with HDMI 2.1, and DP 1.4 is falling behind massively (48Gbps vs 32.4Gbps) and HDMI 2.0 is outdated (18Gbps). Buying 1080p or even 1440p monitor in 2020 is pretty regressive, not to mention that they're usual overpriced.

You've picked the crown jewel there! Just try to activate the auto hide for the bars and use full screen on PC, just in case to avoid any potential burn in or banding.

Probably good tips. But i also bought the 5 year warranty so I dont have to care. If I get burn in its a bonus, can just ca;; in the warranty and get my money back.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What are you smoking? You talk like nearly everyone has 2080 or better in they PCs if you consider only 4K and up as non regressive. You're ignoring the higher refresh rates of monitors too. "pie_tears_joy:

Higher refresh rate? By how much? And for how much? Native 4K will be the norm in next gen, and 4K monitors are extremely inferior and yet overpriced for console gaming. Maybe read the title of the thread?

For competitive shooter gamers on PC, they already sacrifice quality for framerates so they can continue with ancient 1080p and 1440p just fine. Overall, that won't make the input lag any better than shown, and most TV's even with HDMI 2.0 match or surpass 1080p but at 4K instead (4x times the resolution), check rtings.com results.

Ulysses 31

Higher refresh rate? By how much? And for how much? Native 4K will be the norm in next gen, and 4K monitors are extremely inferior and yet overpriced for console gaming. Maybe read the title of the thread?

For competitive shooter gamers on PC, they already sacrifice quality for framerates so they can continue with ancient 1080p and 1440p just fine. Overall, that won't make the input lag any better than shown, and most TV's even with HDMI 2.0 match or surpass 1080p but at 4K instead (4x times the resolution), check rtings.com results.
Depends how deep your pockets are, there's a 1080p monitor that can do 360 Hz, I'm on a 32" ultra wide HDR 1440p 200Hz. native 4K won't be the norm considering there's already talk about dynamic resolutions and performance modes.

Consoles are generally used on TVs, the title argues a moot point unless you can show how there's a sizable portion of console games using monitors that you're trying to get to use TVs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Depends how deep your pockets are, there's a 1080p monitor that can do 360 Hz, I'm on a 32" ultra wide HDR 1440p 200Hz. native 4K won't be the norm considering there's already talk about dynamic resolutions and performance modes.

Consoles are generally used on TVs, the title argues a moot point unless you can show how there's a sizable portion of console games using monitors that you're trying to get to use TVs.

I've seen many saying that they're using monitors for their consoles, that's why this thread is relevant. Monitors seem to be like PC gaming, you pay too much for too little. I use my high end PC on my TV, and do video/photo editing on it as well. Never played a game on PC nor wanting to.

If you're very competitive online, then 200Hz+ monitors would fit you. Console usually share even grounds between most gamers, only skills matter.

If DP 2.0 hits the market then that's another story, but by then maybe HDMI 3.0 chims in with 8K@120Hz and 4K@480Hz at full 12-bit. Technology won't stop. Bought a 55" 4K LG LCD in 2015 and a year after got Sony 4K LCD for better input lag and HDR with the Pro. If PS5 Pro comes, gonna buy a microLED 8K with it personally, 4K looks better on 8K just like 1080p looks better on 4K.

8K makes 4K looks so old by the way, seen highlights of a football match at 8K on a store and the picture quality is nearly described as photography in motion (33.2 megapixels vs 8.5 MP for 4K). Experts say that 16K is probably the sealing for common TV sizes and for a human eye to see noticeable upgrade beyond that.

Still, it's my opinion and everybody has different preferences.

Ehh it was like $300 from best buy, I normally don't buy warranties but considering i will use it 8+ hours a day for productivity,.... seemed like a worthwhile gamble.

It's a wise decision for OLED, you bought the peace of mind.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've always just used a monitor for PC and a TV for consoles. a TV would be way too big for my PC on my desk. my 27" monitor is perfect for my PC. i'll be replacing my old 42" 1080p TV with a 55-65" 4K TV when i get a next gen console.

probably gonna get an OLED as much i fear the risk of burn it. it seems the LG line up is the best option going forward. i wish HDMI 2.1 would hurry up and become more widely available. i can't seem to find many cheap LED tvs with it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have a monitor that has 4 m/s of lag in my closet that I take out whenever I use my 360. I'd rather use my tv for modern console games on a bigger screen with game mode enabled/2.1 system. Because well, size matters.

JimboJones

What the VRR range on most of these 4K TV's, I don't want to get a TV unless it has that feature but I also don't want some limited 48 to 72 range.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Since my liver transplant, I need to wear glasses (short sighted) and I don't like to wear them. So PC monitor for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i've always just used a monitor for PC and a TV for consoles. a TV would be way too big for my PC on my desk. my 27" monitor is perfect for my PC. i'll be replacing my old 42" 1080p TV with a 55-65" 4K TV when i get a next gen console.

probably gonna get an OLED as much i fear the risk of burn it. it seems the LG line up is the best option going forward. i wish HDMI 2.1 would hurry up and become more widely available. i can't seem to find many cheap LED tvs with it.

Just pick an extended warranty like our guy above for peace of mind with the OLED.

For perfect value go for Sony X900H starting at $999 for 55", but wait for reviews with the HDMI 2.1 features enabled.

For top image quality go for LG C9/CX.

I have a monitor that has 4 m/s of lag in my closet that I take out whenever I use my 360. I'd rather use my tv for modern console games on a bigger screen with game mode enabled/2.1 system. Because well, size matters.

You can see that TV's are already around that for 1080p:

ffffffff.jpg

I think the total package in modern HDMI 2.1 tv's is the best.

What the VRR range on most of these 4K TV's, I don't want to get a TV unless it has that feature but I also don't want some limited 48 to 72 range.

40-120Hz for LG C9. 48-120Hz for Samsung. Depends on models, I guess.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can see that TV's are already around that for 1080p:

ffffffff.jpg

I think the total package on modern HDMI 2.1 tv's is the best.

40-120Hz for LG C9. 48-120Hz for Samsung. Depends on models, I guess.

I play in "4K". I think my old budget TV does 21 ms or so when I play days gone.

edit:

Apparently it is 21 ms on 4k...1080p is actually higher lol. Which isn't bad for a 2016 tv. TV has come a long way! Progress! (outside the shitty processors and bad audio/speakers!)

wQlaUV1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I play in "4K". I think my old budget TV does 28 ms or so when I play days gone.

Well, mine is 32ms (2016 model). So it'll be a good upgrade going forward. But if you already own a 4K HDR tv and looks good, upgrading for 2.1 HDMI is not a necessity, more like a luxury. And always better to wait for like Black Friday and sales times.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well, mine is 32ms (2016 model). So it'll be a good upgrade going forward. But if you already own a 4K HDR tv and looks good, upgrading for 2.1 HDMI is not a necessity, more like a luxury. And always better to wait for like Black Friday and sales times.
Nah I'm not gonna upgrade anytime soon. Also don't buy any tv off black friday lol. I will wait for the new technology to drop and be around for a year or two.

M1chl

You can bitch as much as you like here, my friend. I'm all ears.

46i7jh.jpg
Observation is really cool game, but the AA, shadows shimmering, 30FPS camera when you flying in the sphere sucks! On the top of that, animation on ONE character in the game, looks like from 360 B-tier game era. FUCK.
But I do keep playing, tho...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Observation is really cool game, but the AA, shadows shimmering, 30FPS camera when you flying in the sphere sucks! On the top of that, animation on ONE character in the game, looks like from 360 B-tier game era. FUCK.
But I do keep playing, tho...

Can you do like lasek surgery? I rarely see people around here with glasses nowadays. Never heard of one having bad surgeries, you restore up to 90-100% of healthy vision.

M1chl

Can you do like lasek surgery? I rarely see people around here with glasses nowadays. Never heard of one having bad surgeries, you restore up to 90-100% of healthy vision.
Yes, I can do that, but to be honest if you read the thread™ of mine, you know, I want few years without surgery, if you haven't click here:

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nah I'm not gonna upgrade anytime soon. Also don't buy any tv off black friday lol. I will wait for the new technology to drop and be around for a year or two.

Nah, our Black Friday is called White Friday, and you don't see people flooding the stores like in the US, lol. So it's safe if that what you meant. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I'm still between 65-85", gonna love that massive 85" if I go with that!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, our Black Friday is called White Friday, and you don't see people flooding the stores like in the US, lol. So it's safe if that what you meant. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I'm still between 65-85", gonna love that massive 85" if I go with that!
I meant, most black friday electronics aren't worth getting. (here) As they are lower quality electronics, when it comes to tvs anyway.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes, I can do that, but to be honest if you read the thread™ of mine, you know, I want few years without surgery, if you haven't click here:

I'm sorry to know that you went through all that, I didn't finish reading yet. I hope you regain all your health back, and enjoy life and gaming!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I meant, most black friday electronics aren't worth getting. (here) As they are lower quality electronics, when it comes to tvs anyway.

Yeah, shops here just do sale discount on most/all things during that time. Seems like they're confused around here, lol, just following the trend.

M1chl

I'm sorry to know that you went through all that, I didn't finish reading yet. I hope you regain all your health back, and enjoy life and gaming!
Yes, I am more than healthy now, eyes are only think which is relic of that situation. And yes all my mental problems somehow went away.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More about HDMI 2.1 vs 2.0 cables, so you don't overpay for BS, I personally paid around 16 OMR ($41.6 USD) for 5 meters golden HDMI 2.0, didn't find something cheaper at that shop:

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Not concerned about burn in in my C9. If it burns in, it burns in, not going to Baby the shit out of it and not enjoy it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Very early impressions of the 900H the screen is quite reflective which is annoying but the picture is great.

It handles motion fantastic and the 4k upscaling is very good and miles better then the Hisense H9G I am also testing.

Will be hooking up the consoles later this evening to get some gaming on it.

So far with a just a couple of hours in I am quite impressed with what it offers for $1400 at 65"

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I have an old trusty Panasonic plasma 1080p tv. Image quality seems quite good on it though I've been to best buy/Costco and seen some amazing sets.

I suppose I already know the answer but would it be sacrilege to not upgrade for the new gen? Anyone else going to be ps5 gaming below 4k?
Panasonic plasmas still have ridiculously good picture quality, even compared to OLED. I still have one and the only reasons I bought a new TV were size (42” is a bit small these days), old HDMI (I don’t know if plasmas ever even had HDMI 2.0 ports) and lack of modern smart features.

The LG C9 I’ve bought has terrific picture quality for movies, but I’m just getting used to its subpar motion resolution now, almost 2 months after buying it. The bigger screen (55”) and the higher resolution magnify all the shortcomings of 30fps (and lower) content. After trying this TV I think that motion resolution and upscaling quality are a priority for me, before resolution and perfect blacks. This is why I’m eyeing the Sony X900H (XH90 in Europe).

I also think I’d be more comfortable with a 48”-49” TV for my gaming. I sit back more than 2 meters from my TV but, while I appreciate the 55” size of my C9 for movies, I have trouble keeping everything under control in games like Tetris 99 because the screen is so big. Unfortunately the sub-55” segment of the TV market is almost completely neglected by producers when it comes to putting great image quality and the best gaming features in a TV. The LG CX looks like the only 48” option that has it all, but it’s still a LG OLED...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Panasonic plasmas still have ridiculously good picture quality, even compared to OLED. I still have one and the only reasons I bought a new TV were size (42” is a bit small these days), old HDMI (I don’t know if plasmas ever even had HDMI 2.0 ports) and lack of modern smart features.

The LG C9 I’ve bought has terrific picture quality for movies, but I’m just getting used to its subpar motion resolution now, almost 2 months after buying it. The bigger screen (55”) and the higher resolution magnify all the shortcomings of 30fps (and lower) content. After trying this TV I think that motion resolution and upscaling quality are a priority for me, before resolution and perfect blacks. This is why I’m eyeing the Sony X900H (XH90 in Europe).

I also think I’d be more comfortable with a 48”-49” TV for my gaming. I sit back more than 2 meters from my TV but, while I appreciate the 55” size of my C9 for movies, I have trouble keeping everything under control in games like Tetris 99 because the screen is so big. Unfortunately the sub-55” segment of the TV market is almost completely neglected by producers when it comes to putting great image quality and the best gaming features in a TV. The LG CX looks like the only 48” option that has it all, but it’s still a LG OLED...

I actually got some backlash when discussed the motion thing at 30-24fps on another thread, so was hesitant to touch the matter again as some thought I was hating on it (although I've listed C9, CX, and XH90 as my short list of recommendations). Many people who are so angry at 30fps gaming have tv's aren't handling motion properly.

It's a general OLED thing, LCD's tend to have better motion. But Sony is the top in image/motion processing as I hear experts say on youtube, and I picked it for productivity by reflecting accurate colors when editing videos/photos.

I had some motion problems with my 2015 LG LCD 4K as well in 30fps for gaming. It's not huge for some but can give you fatigue and make you hate 30fps so much. 60fps is great and you have no problem there, I guess.

Thank you for sharing, and so far I think XH90 (X900H) is the best budget tv for next gen gaming, but we're still waiting for the HDMI 2.1 firmware update and see how they review it. It starts at 55" though, unlike it's younger brother XH80 that starts at 43" but without HDMI 2.1.

If someone is too hesitant should even wait for CES 2021 and if he sees something that he likes then wait and buy it, if not then all 2020 tv's should have great price cuts around that time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
On the topic of motion handling this 900H is doing great.

Much like the Hisense I have gotten the Xbox 1080p @ 120hz update working but not 1440p @ 120hz and no VRR.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
On the topic of motion handling this 900H is doing great.

Much like the Hisense I have gotten the Xbox 1080p @ 120hz update working but not 1440p @ 120hz and no VRR.

tenor.gif

That's great news! I wanna know as well about the blooming and black handling if you test it around, plus if you can like lower that effect if it's very visible without crushing details.

After reading nearly the entirety of the internet about what tv i should get i came to this conclusion :
- sony s tv are the leader in the most importznt thing for me ie motion.
- oled is a no no for me for 3 reasons :
* My tv is in a very bright room.
* Burn in...
* I shoot for 75", so price is becoming a problem.
- 2 contenders emerge : xh900 or xh950. The later has everything i want except; hdmi 2.1. a tvby the same sony would is going to launch ps5....
Xh900 has everything i want except xwide angle....
arggh.
- samsung qled are not on my radar due to inferior motion.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
tenor.gif

That's great news! I wanna know as well about the blooming and black handling if you test it around, plus if you can like lower that effect if it's very visible without crushing details.

I will run some blooming tests once it gets dark

I can see it has some but doesnt look too bad as of yet.

Top Bottom