• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

dtremblay

Okay, not sure this is the right place to ask this.

How would the picture quality of a mid-level newer TV compare to my ~6-year-old set?

I currently have a Samsung set (UN55H7150 https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/h7150) and still think that it looks pretty great. I think it was like one of the nicest 55" sets you could get at the time. But prices are so low now and I kind of want to check out 4K and HDR with my PS5 next week.

I'm thinking like a TCL 4 series, if it's possible to get in on that $148 deal next week. There aren't even comparable numbers/metrics to compare the two sets bc my current TV is older. Is there a chance that my current TV would have better picture quality than a new set, or is pretty much every mid-level and above newer set better than anything available 6 years ago? I'd love to save up a bit more for a nicer TV rn, and probably will, but if I can get a decent upgrade for $148ish, that's an attractive option.

Kuranghi

Okay, not sure this is the right place to ask this.

How would the picture quality of a mid-level newer TV compare to my ~6-year-old set?

I currently have a Samsung set (UN55H7150 https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/h7150) and still think that it looks pretty great. I think it was like one of the nicest 55" sets you could get at the time. But prices are so low now and I kind of want to check out 4K and HDR with my PS5 next week.

I'm thinking like a TCL 4 series, if it's possible to get in on that $148 deal next week. There aren't even comparable numbers/metrics to compare the two sets bc my current TV is older. Is there a chance that my current TV would have better picture quality than a new set, or is pretty much every mid-level and above newer set better than anything available 6 years ago? I'd love to save up a bit more for a nicer TV rn, and probably will, but if I can get a decent upgrade for $148ish, that's an attractive option.

What is the "$148 deal"?

Most any 4K Samsung set will be an upgrade over what you have, but if you want a big jump you should get a set with a "Full-Array Local Dimming" backlight. That will give you great HDR.

S0ULZB0URNE

I actually bought the X900H a couple of days ago and I have absolutely no regrets, the TV is amazing! Glad to hear that the 4k/120 blur shouldn't affect the PS5, let's hope the VRR update comes soon.
Well according to Sony's press release it shouldn't.

Hopefully not...but the thing is when people are noticing it,it's not major imo.

Seems that all the tv's,avrs etc are having issues with HDMI 2.1.

Bubba77

Any of the top hdmi 2.1 new tvs have MULTIPLE 4k 120hz hdmi inputs? Seems the LG CX and Samsung Q80 only have one such hdmi port. I have xbSx and PS5 coming and I dont want to be swapping ports all the time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Any of the top hdmi 2.1 new tvs have MULTIPLE 4k 120hz hdmi inputs? Seems the LG CX and Samsung Q80 only have one such hdmi port. I have xbSx and PS5 coming and I dont want to be swapping ports all the time.

C9/CX have 4, X900H have 2 (3+4), Samsungs have 1.

Moogle11

Banned
I actually bought the X900H a couple of days ago and I have absolutely no regrets, the TV is amazing! Glad to hear that the 4k/120 blur shouldn't affect the PS5, let's hope the VRR update comes soon.

I’ve had the 65” model for a bit over a month and love it so far! Got it for $998 in the same last month (was a bit cheaper at Costco but I had over $500 in Amazon visa points and gift cards). Super impressed with it and even more so for under a grand.

I would say wait till this time next year. By then all the models will have hdmi 2.1 Dolby vision 120 hertz panels etc. this year is the first wave so I don’t expect much from tvs outside of oleds. As for monitors they tend to just have better picture and response times. I have to get a new one because mine broke and I need it for work so I’m gonna get the gigabyte 32 inch 1440 p one and I’ll probably get another in a year or 2 that can do 4K 120. For now 32 inch 1ms response time at 1440 120 will be fine

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would say wait till this time next year. By then all the models will have hdmi 2.1 Dolby vision 120 hertz panels etc. this year is the first wave so I don’t expect much from tvs outside of oleds. As for monitors they tend to just have better picture and response times. I have to get a new one because mine broke and I need it for work so I’m gonna get the gigabyte 32 inch 1440 p one and I’ll probably get another in a year or 2 that can do 4K 120. For now 32 inch 1ms response time at 1440 120 will be fine

Dolby Vision adds loads of latency as it seems, if it's HW based that masters HDR frame by frame, but if it's the lower type it should be better. Is there any TV that supports full Dolby Vision at 4K@120Hz?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
it can’t do 12 bit anyway, it is a 10 bit panel.

If Dolby Vision is even possible at 4K@120Hz, neither Xbox Series X nor CX would manage to deliver (40Gbps). So if you have RTX 30 series you may consider that, which is an extremely minor thing honestly.

BlackM1st

Banned
hrm. It says its 4k 120hz capable which is what im interested in. Wonder what the 2021 tvs will have thats better.
48 CXand some other 2020 models(pc monitors etc.)is still not readily available everywhere. Can't imagine when 2021 models will become available >_<''

Jigga117

The CX isn't full HDMI 2.1 as it's only 40gbs
This has been explained so many times. It does not need 48Gbps to point out that it is 40Gbps. All you need is 40.1Gbps for 4k@120hz HDR 10bit 444 and 8k@60hz. 48Gbps is only beneficial for 4k@120hz 12bit.
So Vizio and 2019 LG OLEDs have no advantage being 48Gbps ports.

Bubba77

Well after all that i ended up getting the lg CX 65 inch. Like it so far. It was straining my eyes a bit to watch so i turned on eye straining mode to help. Which helped, but i like the look without it! Oh well
I figure it out

Bo_Hazem

Banned

PS5 HDMI capability

Sony-new-8k-PS5-Ready-TV.jpg

As we mentioned above, the PS5's HDMI cable and port are the HDMI 2.1 standard, which means the cable can transfer data much faster than a regular HDMI port.

To get into the specifics here, this means on a technical side that the PS5's 2.1 HDMI has a bandwidth of 48Gbps, which is almost three times more than a 2.0b.

This is what allows it to support 8K video at 60fps and 4K video at 60-120fps (depending on the game you're playing).

PS5-HDMI-2.1.jpg

Last edited:

SAMZ

Someone help!

I bought this for 2.1 hdmi, as its stated in the description on this website. I cannot find any mention of 2.1 anywhere on the manuals or on the app. I cannot even find this TV on the Sony website. Which port is meant to be 2.1?

Cheers

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Someone help!

I bought this for 2.1 hdmi, as its stated in the description on this website. I cannot find any mention of 2.1 anywhere on the manuals or on the app. I cannot even find this TV on the Sony website. Which port is meant to be 2.1?

Cheers

No, it's originally XH85. Not sure why go with that lame code that gives an illusion that it's XH90:

It has no HDMI 2.1.

You need XH90, and here are the codes:

XH9005 / XH9096 / XH9296

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
I really dislike arc. Its not stable at all. Sometimes it would loose connection and I have to turn off the receiver and start it again so it can get signal. Is there any reason using it over optical audio? I have only standard surround setup, no fancy atmos or something, is optical audio enough for 5.1.?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I really dislike arc. Its not stable at all. Sometimes it would loose connection and I have to turn off the receiver and start it again so it can get signal. Is there any reason using it over optical audio? I have only standard surround setup, no fancy atmos or something, is optical audio enough for 5.1.?

I believe it's enough for even 7.1. But more experienced one should help.

I bought a PS5, but I don’t have a 4K tv yet. Do I wait for next year’s models and just play some PS4 games on my current tv or do I buy a cheap option and upgrade in two years?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I bought a PS5, but I don’t have a 4K tv yet. Do I wait for next year’s models and just play some PS4 games on my current tv or do I buy a cheap option and upgrade in two years?

Sony XH90 is the cheapest investment, and best bang for the buck so far. It's getting pretty cheap for 55".

I've tried on my 4K HDR tv that's HDMI 2.0, and I tell you guys to never buy an HDMI 2.0 for PS5. PS5 forces 12-bit 4:4:4 at 60fps so you need HDMI 2.1, even at current capped 32Gbps it sends 12-bit 4:2:2 120Hz but TV's seem to recognize 8-bit instead according to Vincent from HDTVTest.

Sony XH90 is the cheapest investment, and best bang for the buck so far. It's getting pretty cheap for 55".

I've tried on my 4K HDR tv that's HDMI 2.0, and I tell you guys to never buy an HDMI 2.0 for PS5. PS5 forces 12-bit 4:4:4 at 60fps so you need HDMI 2.1, even at current capped 32Gbps it sends 12-bit 4:2:2 120Hz but TV's seem to recognize 8-bit instead according to Vincent from HDTVTest.

I can get the Costco model, 90CH, for $970 at 65 inches.

protonion

Finally got my xh90.
There is a nice black Friday deal here in Greece (799 for the 55 model) and got it immediately.
It is amazing of course! Even playing ps4 games feel half a gen better compared to my 7 years old Bravia.

Sadly, media markt betrayed me... No ps5 yet... :(

Self

have only standard surround setup, no fancy atmos or something, is optical audio enough for 5.1.?

Yes, it's enough for Dolby and DTS surround. But you won't get uncompressed surround audio (high fidelity) with this method. Most people don't care anyways.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Finally got my xh90.
There is a nice black Friday deal here in Greece (799 for the 55 model) and got it immediately.
It is amazing of course! Even playing ps4 games feel half a gen better compared to my 7 years old Bravia.

Sadly, media markt betrayed me... No ps5 yet... :(

You should be happy when PS5 lands to your home! PS5 is pushing for 4:4:4 12-bit for 60Hz so my HDMI 2.0 drops to 4:2:2 instead although it can do 4:4:4 10-bit.

Does the Samsung The Frame 2020 32" work well as both a PC monitor replacement and solid PS5 screen?

edit: Ah, it's just 1080p. Is there a 32" 4k TV?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom