• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klocker

Loved that he remembered everything underneath. Dale coming out at 3 would have failed in his mission to stop Mr. C and been killed a dozen times over. Instead this bumbling fool emerges and manages to reknit a broken family, expose corruption in the hearts of men, all the while spreading joy and wealth to all those around him.

That's how I like to see it :)

Right on

I've been catching up on this after dropping off after episode 8 (not through choice, just been busy) and I must say it's so much better if you "binge" watch the show rather than get drip fed one a week. You notice more, get references, it just flows better... it really is a long ass film just cut up.

And while I'm here I just want to say Albert is a legend in this season. Such a shame about Miguel Ferrer. RIP, fella.

Klocker

I've been catching up on this after dropping off after episode 8 (not through choice, just been busy) and I must say it's so much better if you "binge" watch the show rather than get drip fed one a week. You notice more, get references, it just flows better... it really is a long ass film just cut up.

And while I'm here I want to say Albert is a legend in this season. Such a shame about Miguel Ferrer. RIP, fella.

Agreed. Your comment made my look him up to lean more about him and his unfortunate death.

Also found out he was George Clooney's cousin.

Was not aware.

Loved him all season, glad he made it through this.

New theory!

Evil Cooper didn't impregnate Audrey in the hospital. He stopped in the ICU to get a lock of her hair! This is something he could have done surreptitiously and quickly. Once he was in the clear he could have used her hair to create an Audrey tulpa -- and the tulpa could be Richard's mother.

With that in mind, two possibilities:

- the Audrey we've been seeing this season is the tulpa, who like Diane is very confused about the nature of her existence.

- we've been seeing the real Audrey, who is either still in a coma or is trapped in another plane of reality while her tulpa is living somewhere in Twin Peaks.

I'm leaning more towards the latter. Nobody knows Audrey is trapped somewhere because her tulpa has taken her place in the real world.

I'm on board with this. It explains Richard fading in and out of existence. Mr C created an Audrey tulpa, they had a child.

Wondering where Linda fits in to this though... if Diane is Naido, could Linda be OG Audrey, in a wheelchair after the bomb but with a different appearance because the tulpa 'stole' it?

What did happen after that?

The coordinates lead to the Sheriff Station. We'll get much more Bobby before the end, I presume.

The tulpa thing has me thinking. Who else is contender for 'tulpa' status? Neither Truman, as they are 'true men' according to Margaret. Steven's mental state could be the side effect of being a tulpa. The drunk in the cell.. well the jury is out on him. He seems closer to the Woodsman who 'jump started' the Jumping Man last episode.

Hmm...

If anything is going to be a 'big twist' that ties all of these narrative threads together, it's the tulpa concept.

I just finished another watch of the original series. I had planned, a couple of weeks back, to hold off on all the remaining episodes until the night the finale sites so I could get another four brand new hours of Twin Peaks like I did on the season premiere. In the meantime I've been watching a set number of episodes of the original series to lead up to the finale of season 3. Everything has gone to plan except the fact that I have no will power and couldn't hold off on watching the new episodes the past two weeks. Oh well, it's still going to be pretty sweet to watch the series entirely finishing off with my first viewing of the season 3 finale.

I have to say that the painful stretch in season 2 was much easier to get through this time knowing what's ahead and what it all leads to. Tomorrow night is Fire Walk With Me then onto the Missing Pieces and Dougie.

It's also making the wait for Sunday much more bearable. I don't know what I'm going to do when it's all over though.

Alpende

I'm just here to say I'm damn glad Coop is back, it took a little too long for my liking. This was probably one of the best episodes of season 3 so far with Coop being back and being a boss immediately and Audrey being trapped some place we don't know about.

Good stuff.

Why would Diane look nothing like Naido if she is her tulpa when Dougie looks just like Cooper?

Why do Philip Gerard and MIKE look the same but Bob and Leland look different?

Why is the arm a tree now?

I don't think it's a given that Naido cannot be Diane because they look different.

soundtest

Banned
Can't be a coincidence that diane and naido share almost all their letters in their names either.

Well, then again there are like 15 people called Chet in this series and 12 called Mike. so who knows.

Blader

not that i'm ruling anything out, but why would her tulpa be more recognizable than her "real" self

Well, why did Jeffries transform from David Bowie into a giant tea kettle? If Coop's Doppelganger left Diane at the convenience store after raping her, then her looking like Naido could just be the result of whatever weird mindfuck journey she had to undergo while in the convenience store and ultimately ending up in that place we see in ep. 3.

PolishQ

I might've missed this, but how does Cooper know he has to not only get to Twin Peaks, but specifically the Sheriff's Station.

DoppelCooper knows because of the coordinates seemingly leading there, Cole will know because Fake Diane hinted at it and they also know the coordinates lead to Twin Peaks.

Like I said before, I have a suspicion that Cooper had his meeting with the Fireman (seen in Part 1) immediately before he woke up in the hospital. That's what the ringing sound was.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Diane being Naido would also explain why she helped Coop when they met, and in a roundabout way, Coop being banished by the arm to the same place Diane was sent by Bad Coop makes a lot of sense.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm curious if we'll learn more about the relationship between Diane, Naido, Janey-E, the American Girl, and Mother. They're all connected in a weird way and I'm not really 100% sure right now how exactly,

So we know the Diane we've come to know is a manufactured being like Dougie. Unlike Dougie, Tulpa/Diane was created to replace a person who actually existed (as Cooper and the rest of the FBI know a Diane back in the original series, but Dougie seems to have only come into existence in 1996). We even know her purpose, as a sort of eyes, ears, and weapon for Mr. C within the FBI.

How Diane is exactly related to Janey-E is up in the air now that we know the Diane we knew was a manufactured being, and to be honest I'm starting to think Janey-E can't be a real person. Like, Janey-E's husband is a manufactured being, and her sister in law is a manufactured being. It can't be coincidence she has two manufactured beings close to her, so I'm wondering how that plays out.

Naido does seem to be the real Diane based off of what Tulpa said right before disappearing, there's really no other being that would make sense to be in the Sheriff's Department that would be Diane besides Naido, but if it is Naido this raises even more questions. Naido doesn't even talk like a human, is blind, is Asian, and honestly doesn't even look like the Diane we knew that much, so why would people who knew the old Diane think Tulpa looks like Diane is a mystery to me. Something I can think of is maybe by 'the real me', she didn't mean Diane but some entity the 'seed' came from? I don't quite know if I buy that yet, though.

Then what's Naido's relationship to 'The American Girl'? She replaces Naido in the similar but different room, and obviously the American Girl looks like and is played by the same actress who played Ronette Pulaski in the original series. What's her relationship to all of this, if there is any? She seems to replace Naido or is in the same position as Naido, and she looks like a character we know from the original series, so if Naido IS Diane, what does that mean for the Ronnette look-alike girl?

And of course, 'Mother'. Who is not 100% confirmed to be but is pretty close to being certain is the 'Experiment' character. Her role in the series is still mysterious, despite seeming pretty important. Visual similarities can be made between her and what the manufactured people turn into, as well as many other things in this series. Like Naido resembles her a bit as does the doppelganger of the Arm. This might be because she gives birth to a lot of things, as the two things we know she gave birth to was BOB and the Frog-Moth (which may be the Jumping Man, if mine and some other's theories hold up). Notably Naido seems distressed by 'Mother', and the Ronette looking girl calls it Mother, so it might really just be the mother of all beings in the Lodge, but that's more theorizing than anything.

I doubt all of this will be explained, but at least part of it as I doubt Naido will be left out in the final two parts at least.

I doubt all of this will be explained, but at least part of it as I doubt Naido will be left out in the final two parts at least.

Naido will definitely be in the final two Parts. Between the part of Andy's vision that we haven't seen yet, Coop and the vegas crew heading to the sheriff's office, Diane's comment, and Freddie Sykes being maneuvered by fate into the same jail, it's clearly a place where many stories are coming together.

I'm not sure about a lot of things being resolved, like whatever was going on with Sarah Palmer, but the Naido storyline (and the Cooper storyline, and the Freddie Sykes storyline) are definitely going to be addressed.

Why do Philip Gerard and MIKE look the same but Bob and Leland look different?

Why is the arm a tree now?

I don't think it's a given that Naido cannot be Diane because they look different.

Well, why did Jeffries transform from David Bowie into a giant tea kettle? If Coop's Doppelganger left Diane at the convenience store after raping her, then her looking like Naido could just be the result of whatever weird mindfuck journey she had to undergo while in the convenience store and ultimately ending up in that place we see in ep. 3.

To be fair, the answer to some of these questions is "because the actor is dead".

But yes, I don't think we've completely sussed out tulpa logic yet.

I'm not sure about a lot of things being resolved, like whatever was going on with Sarah Palmer,

There's some kind of thread there with tulpa Diane trying to describe evil Cooper's "smile"

Blader

I guess one of the big things that makes me resistant to the idea of Naido = real Diane is, doesn't that create a very, pointlessly roundabout journey for Coop's Doppelganger? Because if taking Diane to the convenience store is the first step in her journey of becoming Naido, and where he creates Diane's doppelganger, then doesn't mean his story is just using Diane's doppelganger to find the location of the real Diane who he threw into the interdimensional wringer in the first place?

hamchan

OT2 should definitely be "I am the FBI" btw.

Like, that feels like a line that will be one of the most iconic of the whole season.

asagami_

Banned
Twin Peaks finally went full Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive in this few episodes, especially in this last one. The final two episodes will be so glorious ;_;

liquidtmd

Banned
OT2 should definitely be "I am the FBI" btw.

Like, that feels like a line that will be one of the most iconic of the whole season.

Probably true in future retrospect, but considering its minimal throwaway use 12 odd episodes ago "Hell-ooo-ooo" is one equally that I think will be widely remembered

Linkin112

Man, catching up on this thread, a lot of people really think Cooper isn't gonna survive the series/end up trapped in one of the Lodges again?

I don't think we'll get a full on Earn Your Happy Ending, but my bet is Cooper will end up in a better place by the end of the series.

Sidenote: Is there a show/film/whatever that triumphantly brings a character back, only to kill them off shortly afterwards? I'm drawing blanks here.

One of my best friends watched this weeks episode today. She called me afterwards and we spoke for nearly two hours about it. Gonna get together next week to watch the last two episodes together.

If the emotional payoff and impact of this week was anything to go by I am honestly scared, in a good way, of how much next weeks episodes will effect me. It is almost unbelievable that it has already come and is nearly gone.

What an incredible ride Twin Peaks as a whole has been.

I have been rewatching this season with my boyfriend, and knowing what happens later puts everything into perspective in amazing, fun ways. This season is truly masterful in its approach to storytelling. I haven't been this surprised by a series in forever - the way that certain plots are connected, and how they are related to each other, and the payoffs to all those things that were slowly built-up. For instance, the golden shovels. If you had told me they would eventually be the catalyst to Norma and Ed's engagement, I wouldn't have believed you. Yet, it somehow made perfect sense. Or Dougie's journey. It seemed to take a lot of time, and I know we were all anticipating Cooper's true return to form, but his journey - being constantly helped by others, being surrounded by goodness and kindness and more than just a little patience, and now those good people like the Mitchums and Janey-E helping him return to Twin Peaks... That's some genuinely great storytelling. It took time because it needed to take time. And, surprisingly, I already miss Dougie. Also, Audrey Horne's return. It felt weird at first - despite everything, all the other returning characters felt like the original performaces. Audrey didn't. And in this episode, you had the confirmation - Audrey didn't feel right because apparently she really wasn't right. She looked like our favorite character, but her behavior was purposefully off. That's great TV right there.

I can't wait to see how things are resolved in the final two episodes. Naido/Diane (another connection which now makes total sense - remember how Naido tried to desperately help Cooper, and how she got calmer when she touched Cooper's face?), Sarah Palmer, Mr. C and Cooper's inevitable confrontation, Audrey's situation, these were all things that were built up from the very beginning of the season and I am eager to see how they all tie together and where this all will take us.

Waveset

Does Naido have anything to do with the monkey at the end of FWWM? Obviously I'm just thinking about the noises she makes, but isn't it Jeffries voice that come out of the monkey?

Futureman

any thoughts on why the whole ":) ALL" was so troubling to Diane? She had a very strong emotional response to the text. I'm thinking if she was just an evil doppleganger like Mr. C she wouldn't have any issue with shooting the FBI crew. She also couldn't have possibly thought she could out duel 3 FBI agents with a little pistol right?

didn't she say something like, "I hope this works..." right before entering the hotel room?

Blader

any thoughts on why the whole ":) ALL" was so troubling to Diane? She had a very strong emotional response to the text. I'm thinking if she was just an evil doppleganger like Mr. C she wouldn't have any issue with shooting the FBI crew. She also couldn't have possibly thought she could out duel 3 FBI agents with a little pistol right?

didn't she say something like, "I hope this works..." right before entering the hotel room?

It might have been a sleeper-cell code word that would trigger her to try to kill Gordon and Albert. And the consequence of activating that kind of programming meant (inadvertently?) awakening Diane to the fact that she isn't real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom