• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

liquidtmd

Banned
I agree. It felt definitive, whereas the season 2 ending just felt like a cliffhanger.

Agree. Whatever frustrations the S3 finale may throw for some, narratively the way it's presented and taking the episode as a whole I don't feel it demands a follow up anywhere near as much as S2

There are many ways you could interpret it, and the episode throws so many avenues for the audience to walk down it almost feels a shame to follow it up definitively whereas S2 was ultimately 'Coop has been locked away / dopplecoop is unleashed on the world, what now'?

Metaphorical over the literal I guess

MisterR

David Lynch on Bowie and the Music that Inspired the New “Twin Peaks”

Good interview here.

'Pitchfork: After making a cameo in 1992’s Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, David Bowie’s character Phillip Jeffries reappeared in the new series via footage from that film and as a big, talking tea kettle. Did you ever approach Bowie himself to be in the new series?
David Lynch: Absolutely. I never even talked to him, but I talked to his lawyer, and they weren’t telling me why he said he couldn’t do it. But then, of course, later on we knew.

Why did Phillip Jeffries take the form of a tea kettle?
I sculpted that part of the machine that has that tea kettle spout thing, but I wish I’d just made it straight, because everybody thinks it’s a tea kettle. It’s just a machine.

Anybody else read David Lynch interviews in a loud Gordon Cole voice or is it just me.

Yup.

Also, I feel like I see the Season 3 ending as more of a cliffhanger than Season 2.

Both seasons do end on a question.

I can definitely see that, but 2 demanded more of an immediate answer, where as 3 I feel like is more of a "what do we, as an audience think happened", you know? I'm not dying to get back and find out what happened with Carrie and Coop, I'm trying to figure out what I personally believe happened.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yup.

Also, I feel like I see the Season 3 ending as more of a cliffhanger than Season 2.

Both seasons do end on a question.

I think it's obvious they left all those questions so that they can continue with another season down the line. Hopefully its soon. Lynch isn't saying No to it either.

soundtest

Banned
While i wouldnt hate another season of TP after 3, i dont want another blueballing of the audience for +16 hrs again.

Either make a film or do a more limited series but i dont know if i have it in me to check in for 18 weeks and watch another season paced the way 3 was, even if i liked this last season.

I'm not sure if I want another season. I feel like season 4 would have much the same ending as season 3. It seems unlikely anyone will get any meaningful closure and that is likely intentional.

The first two seasons somewhat lampooned TV at the time, soap operas and whatever, we all know this. The ending of season 3 feels like it did the same to TV now where every episode or season ends with "HOLY SHIT NEXT SEASON/EPISODE WHEN" or whatever.

The theme of The Return seemed to be more about eternal return or eternal recurrence than anything else, to me. Despite 18 more hours of programming, the characters we know and love are still stuck in a weird space nobody can really define or explain.

Nothing really actually changed or happened in the entire season (depending on how you interpret it, of course). Not saying it is a happy though or satisfying, but it is probably intentional.

I don't want more because I didn't get enough closure from S3. I just want more because it was great and I want more Lynch/Frost TV. They can do more On The Air for all I care.

F6SpbC7.gif

He said Tammy was the worst character in S3, Gordon. And he's right.

I'm hoping we get actor commentaries at least.

The original DVD release of Twin Peaks season 1 included commentaries (Lynch wasn't on them) but every single release of Twin Peaks anything released since then has not had commentaries, so I wouldn't hold out for commentaries.

Anybody else read David Lynch interviews in a loud Gordon Cole voice or is it just me

There's barely a difference. Gordon is basically just Lynch speaking louder but he's already a kind of loud talker.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Mostly unrelated, but Mulholland Dr. is leaving Netflix at the end of the month, so if you wanted to watch that at some point, better get on it!

[…]

• I really liked all of Season One, all of Season Three, and Firewalk With Me. I liked Firewalk With Me on my first viewing. I’m interested in reading Jennifer Lynch’s The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer at some point.
  • I liked approximately 3 episodes from Season Two: Episodes 1 & 2 and Episode 7.
  • I really struggled to watch the rest of Season 2. I’ve only been able to force myself to watch up to Episode 14. I really did not enjoy these episodes (3-6 & 8-14) at all. The latter group of episodes (8-14) was particularly bad, and these episodes seemed to become progressively worse, for me.
  • I do plan on eventually trying (again) to at least make it through the rest of Season Two (i.e., Episodes 15 – 22, the ones which I still have not seen), in order to appreciate the final episode of Season Two (which many folks here have recommended as worthwhile)…
  • On the other hand, I really liked Season Three as a whole (despite the fact that it’s very different from Season One), and I even liked each individual episode of Season Three. And while I did indeed like certain episodes of Season Three a lot more than others, for me personally, none of the episodes in Season Three were as bad as Episodes 3-6 & 8-14 of Season Two (though again, I haven’t yet seen Episodes 15-22 of Season 2).
[...]

That's really interesting that you don't like the first chunk of season 2 - I really am wracking my brain as to what might be different in it… Although yeah man - definitely watching the finale of S2… as you get into the last few episodes, some signs of life start to come up. There's still bad stuff, but it seems to be going somewhere again. Then Dave comes back for the finale and it's just a great 2 hours with the thickest dose of dark wood atmosphere the show ever managed to pull off...

Update: I did end up watching Season Two Episodes 15 - 22 (also picked up Jennifer Lynch’s The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, incidentally), and I’d definitely agree, the final episode of Season Two was excellent.

And so I ended up finding merit in all of the Lynch-directed episodes of Season Two (all four of them: 1-2, 7, and 22), but personally did not find much artistic or entertainment value in any of the other episodes from Season Two.

And while I can see how others might have found them at least entertaining, I guess I would have a hard time seeing how any of the non-Lynch episodes of Season Two could hold up as art.

On that point, it was interesting to see Mark Frost’s comment in the foreword to The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (which I just picked up), where he actually makes a specific distinction between the first 'nine hours' of the Original Series, and the rest of the production:
https://books.google.com/books?id=AtAmwA7mK5gC&pg=PT4&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false
...a dream conjured into life by two friends over twenty years ago in a lightning strike of creative freedom and exuberance, a vision shared and brought to life... With no studio leaning on us, over the course of eighteen months we produced nine hours of the show in splendid isolation, before a minute of it was ever broadcast. This was, in the best sense of the word, an “amateur” endeavor: driven by our love of the work, not the cold-blooded professionalism that drives most of this industry… Three principles guided the work: Trust our instincts. Fight for what we believe. Don’t let other people’s fears become ours… David has always felt we made a mistake early on, giving in to heavy network pressure... I agree with him now. We let their fears become ours and it cracked the magic…

Coming back to another point discussed a few pages back, in relation to Season Three:
...More music [in Season Three] would have been good, too. I won't do it, just because of the time involved, but I have thought about going over the show with it's own OST and some spare use of the original show's ost and putting in some score to a lot of the long silent scenes...
Agreed. More frequent use of the existing OST would likely have gone a long way. I can understand the appeal of using certain tracks only once, but if they were able to make multiple uses (by my recollection) of 'Accident Farewell', it's not immediately clear to me why they couldn't have done the same with some of the other stellar tracks ('Heartbreaking', 'Dark Space Low', 'The Fireman', 'The Chair') from the OST.

Having watched the final (Lynch-directed) episode of Season Two, I found it notable that music was a continuous presence in the episode: for about 42 minutes of the 50-minute runtime – aside from 2 minutes in the very beginning and a 6-minute silence at the bank
(before the explosion)
– there was music present continuously, helping to sustain the mood/atmosphere. And of course the extremely powerful ‘Under the Sycamore Trees’ scene was brilliantly punctuated by music, just as some of the powerful moments in Season Three were brilliantly punctuated by music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl7t5s37WbQ
Roberta Rietti: “In my opinion, one of the most beautiful Ending Credits scene ever.”
Music: 'Windswept', by Johnny Jewel
giphy.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NPG2Fb0iy8
Thank you again, Mr. Jackpots
Music: 'Heartbreaking', by Angelo Badalamenti
giphy.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUfF3gorLE
Twin Peaks: The Return - End Credits
Music: 'Dark Space Low', by Angelo Badalamenti
giphy.gif
As I mentioned in my previous post, I liked Season Three quite a lot (and easily prefer it over Season Two), but I do still think using the OST a bit more to create atmosphere/emotion (during the course of each episode) would have gone a long way towards bridging the gap, for fans who were not quite able to get on board with Season Three. Curious what others think about this.

Kadayi

Banned
Come on, you know that he's griping about watching it on small screens with bad sound (like a laptop's built-in speakers)

I must admit when a friend told me he was watching it on his phone on the daily commute I did send him that youtube of Lynch flipping out about Phones.

It's not really an ideal format for something like Twin Peaks, which doesn't rely on a lot of close-ups. But a lot depends on the context of where you are watching.

With that said I watched on my PC monitor lights off, headphones on and I was fully engaged.

Heads up for anyone that ordered the vinyl soundtracks from Amazon: my Roadhouse soundtrack came today, and is on black vinyl rather than the advertised Cherry Pie Red. Gonna return it and order from Italians Do It Better probably. Curious if the score soundtrack is the same way (It’s supposed to be green).

Bummer 8(

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Heads up for anyone that ordered the vinyl soundtracks from Amazon: my Roadhouse soundtrack came today, and is on black vinyl rather than the advertised Cherry Pie Red. Gonna return it and order from Italians Do It Better probably. Curious if the score soundtrack is the same way (It’s supposed to be green).

Bummer 8(
Yeah, mine are black. Damn.

So weird to see this in community.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Pitchfork Lynch interview has this interesting piece of info:

Did Bowie know that his character was going to appear in that capacity?

No, no, no. He didn’t know that. We got permission to use the old footage, but he didn’t want his voice used in it. I think someone must have made him feel bad about his Louisiana accent in Fire Walk With Me, but I think it’s so beautiful. He wanted to have it done by a legitimate actor from Louisiana, so that’s what we had to do. The guy [voice actor Nathan Frizzell] did a great job.

Odd request from Bowie, but I'm glad that Lynch made him happy with this request.

Robot Pants

He said Tammy was the worst character in S3, Gordon. And he's right.
She sucks but Diane takes the cake for me. I just can’t see someone like Diane getting along well with coop.
I guess she’s not exactly the “good Diane” for most of the show but still.
Bad character that doesn’t fit well with Coop

Klocker

Yes MD was the first DL movie that made me say holy shit. I love this guy.

I never really did watch TP seasons 1-2

So 3 was a treat. But MD was special

Yes MD was the first DL movie that made me say holy shit. I love this guy.

I never really did watch TP seasons 1-2

So 3 was a treat. But MD was special

I think it is my favorite movie of all time. Although, the last few moments of Eraserhead are very, very good too.

The article by David Foster Wallace that was posted earlier reflects some of my feelings about Lynch too. Subverting the audience's expectations about what they will experience seeing a film can lead to heavier emotional impacts. The Club Silencio scene for example, reflecting on that and when they start to cry, seeing the illusion crumble as the nightmare reality comes crawling back. It devastates me very deeply and it is interesting to think if as deep an emotional response could be brought about though more conventional methods of story telling in cinema. I'm not sure, but I absolutely love it for what it is.

On the subject of DFW, and this has nothing to do with Lynch, his speech was really wonderful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI Real tragedy.

gun_haver

mulholland drive is yeah, one of the best movies i've ever seen. it wasn't close to the first david lynch thing i saw, but when i did it sealed the deal for me as a lifelong fan.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's drawn from this essay he wrote on an assignment to cover the making of Lost Highway for Premiere magazine. Essential reading for Lynch fans.

I think it is my favorite movie of all time. Although, the last few moments of Eraserhead are very, very good too.

The article by David Foster Wallace that was posted earlier reflects some of my feelings about Lynch too. Subverting the audience's expectations about what they will experience seeing a film can lead to heavier emotional impacts. The Club Silencio scene for example, reflecting on that and when they start to cry, seeing the illusion crumble as the nightmare reality comes crawling back. It devastates me very deeply and it is interesting to think if as deep an emotional response could be brought about though more conventional methods of story telling in cinema. I'm not sure, but I absolutely love it for what it is.

On the subject of DFW, and this has nothing to do with Lynch, his speech was really wonderful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI Real tragedy.

Thanks for these. Gonna read the article later. The speech was great.

My vinyl copy of the soundtrack turned up, both inner sleeves split down the sides, one record protruding through the shrink wrap and during playback it sounds like it was recorded through a bowl of rice krispies.

Thanks Amazon.

As a minor annoyance, I don't like that the soundtrack name is printed along the top of the sleeve, I was expecting a removable strip like the death waltz soundtracks.

Top Bottom