• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Shadow - Confess - Out Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris121580

I'm really surprised there wasn't already a thread on this. This is probably my favorite album so far this year. It's a little bit of a grower at first but the single 'Five Seconds' is immediately accessible and awesome. The video is pretty great too. I also recommend checking out his first album Forget if you like this as well. Both are available on Spotify

Five Seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiC9XNQSxFQ

Reviews have been real positive for this as well. BNM from Pitchfork 8.6:

I don't know much about the man who writes Twin Shadow songs, but the man in them doesn't really seem like a good dude. In fact, he's a total dick most of the time. "I don't want to believe or be in love," was George Lewis Jr.'s climactic mission statement on "Slow", and the rest of Forget negated its new romantic sounds with accounts of people who chose to ignore his warning. There was the girl who promised to "never let another black boy break [her] heart" and became the subject of "Tyrant Destroyed", and then there was the partner in crime on "Shooting Holes", who took her father's gun and was sworn into secrecy. And as a message to the fellas, there was "I Can't Wait", where Lewis stole your girl from right under your armpit because she hated your moves, the implication being that she was going to love his.

This persona played a huge role in distinguishing Forget, despite much evidence of it being wholly of Brooklyn, ca. 2010: Pretty in Pink sonic nostalgia, a cosign from Grizzly Bear, smeared cover art. But in light of brash interviews and surprisingly torrid live shows, Lewis' careerist ambition, pretty boy swagger, and leering libido made clear he was not long for the world of back-patting, hand-holding indie rock. You might find the bad-boy posturing on Confess' cover too blatant in announcing Lewis' arrival as a self-identifying pop idol, but he refuses to apologize for anything here: not his brash lyrics, laser-focused songwriting, or glossy production. It's a purposefully arrogant star turn that would otherwise be insufferable if Confess didn't make it abundantly clear that Lewis is one of the few guys out there capable of living up to it.

He's adjusting his role models to fit the situation, staying within the 80s but moving from the Psychedelic Furs and Simple Minds. Instead, he's taking Purple Rain, Born in the U.S.A. and Lost Boys as guides. We're talking leather jackets, sullen glowers, salvation through hit-making. And Confess aspires to the excess of the Reagan years, when all genres were competing for the same MTV slots and the production on pop, rock, and R&B records was essentially the same. But while Confess is slick, it doesn't sound slavishly retro or expensive; in fact, there's a eerie, disembodied artificiality to many of these sounds.
Lewis' rangy vocals rightfully remain at the forefront-- sultry and vulnerable in their lower reaches, with a clarion burst in its higher notes that recalls both Peter Gabriel and TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe. But nearly every other sound is so crisp and airless that they become compellingly dehumanized. The snares during the disparaging chorus of "Golden Light" hit like open-hand slaps or a glass of cold water to the face, and harsh digital clipping on the kick drums and vocals express the claustrophobic lust of "You Call Me On". "I Don't Care" underlines the startling cruelty of its lyrics with a coda of grunts. "The One" is a rare moment of devotion communicated with blinding acoustic glare, while the exaggerated courtship of "Beg For the Night" accents its chorus with the utmost of new-money sounds, the orchestra hit.

On a purely sonic level, Confess will tell you "greed is good," and it's underlined by the economy of the songwriting, which shows a clear progression from the occasionally stunning but unbalanced Forget. The 10 songs on Confess operate only in power moves, the verses sneering, seducing, doing whatever they can to draw the listener in before every choruses ascends and explodes. Having recorded nearly all of Confess by himself, you hear a perfectionist's internal competition in Lewis, each song subject to merciless editing to assure that if he realizes the death wish alluded to in the "Five Seconds" video, he'll leave a beautiful corpse and a record of 10 fail-proof singles. It's textbook, time-honored stuff, but it's rarely done at this level. Whether it's the lush power-balladry of "Beg For the Night" and "Be Mine Tonight" or throttle-pushing rockers like "You Call Me On", Confess is defined by its melodic and emotional immediacy. This is no where more evident than it is on the cyclical refrain of the all-hook single "Five Seconds"-- "straight to the heart."

The ruthless efficiency extends to the lyrics, and this is what ultimately gives Confess its edge, pushing it into something more illicitly alluring. It's indeed a hyper-masculine record, almost every single lyric occurring at a relationship flashpoint between Lewis and a royal female "you" whose lust only confirms her misunderstanding of him. Combined with his refusal to sugarcoat anything, the first instinct is to assume it's a misogynist record as well, but Confess isn't macho or "bro." The songs are about dishonesty and what is revealed in desiring love but acting out of lust. The arrangement of "Golden Light" takes its cues from the secular uplift of Arcade Fire while flipping the carnal chorus of "Atomic Dog" into something simultaneously metaphysical and cynical-- "Some people say you're the golden light/ And if I chase after you, doesn't mean it's true." It's all to easy to hear a lyric like "I don't give a damn about your dreams/ A whole world that is falling at the seams" from "You Call Me On" as pitiless. But there's an equanimity to Lewis' viewpoint as he offers "that's what it's supposed to do" as a stark epigram of cold comfort.

And he gets as good as he gives, rarely painting himself as a savior or even someone worthy of envy. "Patient" describes a no-strings fling that you'd think would be the optimum scenario in a Twin Shadow song, but the refusal to define it as such is torture for Lewis and you can hear it in Confess' most over the top arrangement, a bridge cobbling together drumline snares, a shredding guitar, and a push of his 80s influences somewhere towards New Jack Swing. Twin Shadow gets into darker metal-R&B territory on "I Don't Care" whose superficially shocking admonishments to a morally suspect woman brings it awfully close to "Dirty Diana" territory. But "I Don't Care", like most of Confess, doesn't sound ego-fueled or even hateful. Lovers on Confess are equal co-conspirators, liars, fully complicit and bent on mutually assured destruction. Records from the likes of Drake and the Weeknd have been instructive on how to toast to groin-led douchebags. But there's little hedonism or depravity here. On Confess, sex is dispassionately viewed like any addictive substance, one that basically destroys people who use it to fill a spiritual void.
This corrosive thread running throughout Confess helps illustrate the difference in intent between Twin Shadow's two simply titled albums. Forget hinted at traumatic experiences that Lewis was trying to process years after the fact and figured he'd be better off ignoring, whereas Confess doesn't actually cop to much-- just the challenge to "say just what you mean and give up everything." So then it's curious that during one of the softer moments of Confess, Lewis admits, "I'll cry when the movie's over." He's the cocky, successful, brutally honest lothario who almost always gets his comeuppance in cinema and is verboten in indie rock. But this is pop music where the bad guy wins.

K.Sabot

Not to buzzkill on this, but I liked the first LP waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Still excited to see them in September!

OSHAN

I've listened to it in full only twice, but I'm not feeling this album.

I thought Forget was amazing, but unfortunately, I'm finding Confess forgettable.

I'm so sorry for that.

But in all seriousness, I think it's over produced, and I only dig the first few songs. After that, nothing really.

I had tickets to see him in Boston at the end of the month but the show was canceled and now he's playing at Paradise in September or something, so I guess I won't be seeing him either.

chris121580

I've listened to it in full only twice, but I'm not feeling this album.

I thought Forget was amazing, but unfortunately, I'm finding Confess forgettable.

I'm so sorry for that.

But in all seriousness, I think it's over produced, and I only dig the first few songs. After that, nothing really.

I had tickets to see him in Boston at the end of the month but the show was canceled and now he's playing at Paradise in September or something, so I guess I won't be seeing him either.

Really? See I was a little disappointed at first too but after listening to it more I absolutely love it. I think it's a very logical next step for him and it's in the right direction. I think this one will grow on people after they give it some more time. I like the production improvement as well

OSHAN

Really? See I was a little disappointed at first too but after listening to it more I absolutely love it. I think it's a very logical next step for him and it's in the right direction. I think this one will grow on people after they give it some more time. I like the production improvement as well

I'll listen to it a few more times, it's just that Forget had me from the start, and I'm struggling to enjoy Confess.

I'll just blame Beach House because nothing is going to top Bloom this year.

chris121580

I'll listen to it a few more times, it's just that Forget had me from the start, and I'm struggling to enjoy Confess.

Great album and I definitely agree that Forget was a lot more immediate. I listen to music all day at work so I've been able to really let Confess sink in for me. When I listened to it and didn't pay much attention to it, it didn't really sit that well with me at first

I'll CONFESS that I'm finding CONFESS a little more FORGETtable than FORGET

But I really like this LP, just not as much as his first. Something about the wordplay in the first album

you're my favorite daydream
I'm you're famous nightmare

:,(

Maybe this is a little too bad boy for me. Still, there are some killer tunes on here.

K.Sabot

The hooks weren't there for me.

Ironic how I can remember every single little part of Forget but I can't even remember the hook of the first single on Confess.

Linius

Imo The Walkmen and John Talabot already topped Beach House, though Bloom will def. make it to my top ten in the end.

Anyways, this album is like most of you already said just not as good as his debut effort. Guess I'll be listening it a few more times, but I'm not really diggin it like Forget.

Oh btw, I'm noticing that the most new releases in the Indie segment get seperate threads. Isn't there a thread where people who like this kind of music come together to discuss all new releases like the Gaf hiphop thread or something?

BUMP

Anyone else listening to this? Saw a review in a newspaper on Friday and decided to d/l it. Really glad I did. Five Seconds is so damn catchy.

Stencil

I agree with most that it's not as immediate as Forget, but I've not given up yet, I've only listened to it fully once and plan on doing it many more times.

Stencil

Also, that Washington Post review was so pathetic, trolling in the worst way

Oops I just drunkenly sent the author of that article a pretty critical email... Welp, no unsend button and I didn't make any threats, so. I doubt he'll even read it. Hahaha or at least I hope he doesn't... Oh god.

Listened to the album again today, I like it a lot. My friend, with no prior knowledge of Twin Shadow, asked if I could lend her the download card. So, other people like it too?

Tattooth

I saw them live the other day, the new songs work really well live. I do like this LP but the first one is just so special to me not much could top it.

Have to agree with the others here, Forget is a much better album. But I consider it one of those very few albums without flaw, so the odds were slim he could top it. 'Beg for the night' and '5 seconds' are great songs though.

Anyway I saw them live in Rotterdam a little over a week ago in a super small bar type setting. Was in the front row with my girl and it was awesome. They're fantastic live. Hope they keep going regardless, there's bound to be another Forget in Lewis. That was plain as day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom