• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal being Developed by Firesprite MotorStorm Director takes lead

I remember back in the day, Jaffe used to talk about the secret sauce to TM being that the cars don't use realistic "car" physics: instead they're designed to go super fast, turn, and accelerate on a dime, almost as if they were fighter jets:

Guess Sony must've been listening, because if this is true, this basically means Twisted Metal will be made by the core team that made WipeOut, a series about futuristic fighter jets.

TLDR -- this might be a better fit for this developer than it looks!

Damn Twisted Metal footage on ps3 looks so bad ass. I forgot all about the ps3 game, I know it didn't turn out that great and i only played the demo and never bought the main game sadly as real life issues at the time got in the way.
Was it any good? It was online only wasn't it? (if so that would explain why i passed on it).
Oh and Jaffe looks llike 3 decades younger than he does now. Wtf... It feels like it was not too long ago.

They are going to fuck it up aren't they.... i really can't see this being done good unless they keep the original roster and make a single player mode.

Unknown?

Damn Twisted Metal footage on ps3 looks so bad ass. I forgot all about the ps3 game, I know it didn't turn out that great and i only played the demo and never bought the main game sadly as real life issues at the time got in the way.
Was it any good? It was online only wasn't it? (if so that would explain why i passed on it).
Oh and Jaffe looks llike 3 decades younger than he does now. Wtf... It feels like it was not too long ago.

They are going to fuck it up aren't they.... i really can't see this being done good unless they keep the original roster and make a single player mode.
There's a campaign it's just different from the old ones. The gameplay was best in the series, some were put off by only three stories and multiplayer being broken at launch and for a long time.

Yeah, i really hope its not F2P. Thats what ultimately kills my interest in multiversus not being able to just couch co-op and do story missions and stuff

I hate the fact that people are pushing the whole “if its not F2P its dead” thing for multiplayer titles. That doesn’t work for everything
Exactly. I wouldn't of never bought smash bros ultimate if it was online only. Or Mortal Kombat or a whole slew of other games. There has been countless games I play and think, wow this would be awesome if it had couch vs, co-op /split screen. I play single player or with guests at my house or with my gf, and sometimes go online for a match or two, but that's it.
Most of my time in games like smash has been unlocking characters and abilities in the single player campaign.

F2 play will always exclude local play as there is no money to be made and they only care about that. Get shrinks to analyize how can we extract funds from people and make them addicted to come back. Disgusting.

coffinbirth

8b7d8780e5aa0850397b9284503e6bb1.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nothing in this job offer leads to thing it's a Twisted Metal game.

They say there that it's a narrative driven VR game with choices that affects the story and that there are NPCs. So pretty likely they are talking about Horizon CoM.
CoM has gone gold and is releasing next week. They wouldn't be hiring for that game, unless you were talking about a possible sequel?

Even in the case of a sequel, it wouldn't be made on Unreal Engine 5. They will use Decima for any and all Horizon.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This sounds like way more ambitious than a traditional Twisted Metal game.

Perhaps the upcoming show gave them a new direction and a bigger scope to play with, and they are making it more like a more hardcore, gameplay-focused, vehicle-heavy GTA Online type game?

That could be interesting, but it's not an easy thing to pull off.

Looking forward to seeing it.

coffinbirth

This sounds like way more ambitious than a traditional Twisted Metal game.

Perhaps the upcoming show gave them a new direction and a bigger scope to play with, and they are making it more like a more hardcore, gameplay-focused, vehicle-heavy GTA Online type game?

That could be interesting, but it's not an easy thing to pull off.

Looking forward to seeing it.
It's basically the scrapped PS2 game, Twisted Metal: Lost aka Harbor City, from the sound of it. Lost had the concept of having a large city connected to smaller battle arenas via a highway system. So, the city was for the on-foot GTA stuff, start a "mission" and then you could drive out of town to do more Twisted Metal-y stuff in those connected areas. And the highways would have random encounters. That's IIRC. Always sounded cool, and I like the Lost levels we got from it for the PS2 port of Head On, and the leaked build(s).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's basically the scrapped PS2 game, Twisted Metal: Lost aka Harbor City, from the sound of it. Lost had the concept of having a large city connected to smaller battle arenas via a highway system. So, the city was for the on-foot GTA stuff, start a "mission" and then you could drive out of town to do more Twisted Metal-y stuff in those connected areas. And the highways would have random encounters. That's IIRC. Always sounded cool, and I like the Lost levels we got from it for the PS2 port of Head On, and the leaked build(s).
yeah, maybe, but game designs (at least, popular game design templates) have changed so much in the last 10+ years. I suspect they'd add on to it. Make it more narrative-driven (to tie with the upcoming TV show), and perhaps chase after that GTA Online crowd.

I've always wondered why nobody went after a proper AAA GTA clone game. It's such a huge but untapped market; it's just too difficult to make without being ridiculed because GTA exists.

I'm not sure Firesprite has the talent to pull a GTA type game off, but if they play their cards right and make it just different enough, it might just stand on its own.

coffinbirth

yeah, maybe, but game designs (at least, popular game design templates) have changed so much in the last 10+ years. I suspect they'd add on to it. Make it more narrative-driven (to tie with the upcoming TV show), and perhaps chase after that GTA Online crowd.

I've always wondered why nobody went after a proper AAA GTA clone game. It's such a huge but untapped market; it's just too difficult to make without being ridiculed because GTA exists.

I'm not sure Firesprite has the talent to pull a GTA type game off, but if they play their cards right and make it just different enough, it might just stand on its own.
Surprisingly, Twisted Metal has a pretty deep lore, and supposedly that game was going GTA-all-in on it, so it always seemed like Sony wanted to go there but couldn't pull it off for whatever reason. The PS3 game was kinda garbage though, so there's that.

I imagine Firesprite will make a great Twisted Metal game, it's the live service stuff that worries me. The on-foot, GTA stuff, I could see going horribly wrong as well. Fingers crossed.

yurinka

CoM has gone gold and is releasing next week. They wouldn't be hiring for that game, unless you were talking about a possible sequel?

Even in the case of a sequel, it wouldn't be made on Unreal Engine 5. They will use Decima for any and all Horizon.
Yep, seems I was wrong. There were multiple Firesprite job offers, and I thought these were older ones that included similar things (mentioning adventure, action and VR stuff...). But apparently the linked ones are new ones:

One asks for a Principal Physics Programmer for a 'new, AAA, Unreal 5 multiplayer action game' that 'blends gameplay mechanics in new ways and deeply embeds storytelling elements into a unique universe'. Another asks for a Lead AI Programmer for apparently the same project adding that it's in 'early development' and mentions as desirable skill 'Experience of working with game-play mechanics concerning narrative, action or adventure games'. And another for a Principal Designer for apparently also the same game mentions 'bold project aims to break new ground, blending genre transcending gameplay mechanics around vehicular and on foot combat'.

These ones could fit with Twisted Metal. But also with Wipeout, Motorstorm, Killzone or the new IP from Sony London and many games more.

The VR and Steam references are from other job offers or they removed them. I don't see them.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

VR experience would be useful, it says. I hope they go hard on games compatible in both flat and vr.
I think they really will. Making lots of first party games compatible is the only way other companies will support the system.

Even though I've never used a vr product before I want Sony to commit to one of their side projects with lots more enthusiasm than they did with the Vita.

Top Bottom