• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal being Developed by Firesprite MotorStorm Director takes lead

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ignorant? Kiddo, maybe you should back up and ask yourself what you asked me.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that we should ignore his blatant racism when being consulted on a series that thrives on violence, monkey paw tales, and irony? It doesn‘t take a braniac to figure out what would happen if he had any say.
In this context, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

I don't care what his feelings are on race, social justice or politics in general. I only care about how good the new Twisted Metal could be. I believe his input could be helpful in that respect.

Without knowing, I've probably loved games from different people who hold different ideologies and political beliefs then what I have. Doesn't mean their game is not good.

It's the insinuation that a person's beliefs ultimately skew the quality of their work that is preemptive and ignorant.

I've seen people cry out for keeping politics out of their games. Hell, I've been one of them. Just staying true to what I feel on that matter.

Consulting on a game doesn't automatically mean his beliefs become the essence of it. He's not the Creative Director. I'm sure the Creative Director has his/her beliefs and may or may not let that influence the content of the game. Why should Jaffe hold influence over that person?

Last edited:
Firesprite won't get closed but yeah the game will probably flop
Well I believe Firesprite has subsidiaries. This game’s failure will utlimately lead into the studio down sizing, ultimately letting the whole team involved being let go. Perhaps Fabrik Games.

Unless Sony gives the game a Concrete Genie level budget for the original horror aesthetic, this game is going to flop harder than Destruction All-Stars. Sony is listening to a vocal minority that has no idea how unpopular their wants are, that they decided to make a show with perhaps their least marketable franchise I can think of. Playstation will have to make fundamental drastic changes, which purists will bitch about to no end. ”Ew Fortnite!, Battle Royale!, SJW!”

The Nightmare Before Christmas x Mario Kart is the only way.

kyliethicc

Well I believe Firesprite has subsidiaries. This game’s failure will utlimately lead into the studio down sizing, ultimately letting the whole team involved being let go. Perhaps Fabrik Games.
Its not that black and white. The studio has various games in development and if one flops, the studio can still be fine. Its up to Hulst.

And Fabrik Games don't exist anymore really. Just Firesprite.

I remember back in the day, Jaffe used to talk about the secret sauce to TM being that the cars don't use realistic "car" physics: instead they're designed to go super fast, turn, and accelerate on a dime, almost as if they were fighter jets:

Guess Sony must've been listening, because if this is true, this basically means Twisted Metal will be made by the core team that made WipeOut, a series about futuristic fighter jets.

TLDR -- this might be a better fit for this developer than it looks!

Last edited:
Never got into this game back when everybody was saying how good it was, this was Twisted Metal 2 on PS1. Maybe it ages better for me in a new generation. Game was perhaps ahead of its time because it sure didn't work for me back then.

A new Twisted Metal could work, but I think it needs to be an absolute tech powerhouse. Don't do anything with the gameplay to take away from the simplicity of car kill car, which on it's own will not sell $70 games. But if it's among the best looking games ever released with mind bending real time damage, it could be a hit.

Elbereth

PlayStation gamers are hungry for a new VR Twisted Metal.
VR...Twisted Metal... I never thought about this, but...
Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

To be honest, I'd probably be far happier with a four game MotorStorm remaster and DriveClub remaster with everything running at a locked 4K60 on PS5 then anything else they're likely to release. I know that Firesprite are supposedly working on a few titles, so....maybe, possibly.

EDIT
I think PlayStation really need to get themselves some sort of arcade racer, they've really not had anything for a long time now.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Ugh, I can't imagine TM in VR. Sick to my stomach.

That would horrible lol. Too fast-paced.

And Lucid Games might as well be a subsidiary to Firesprite if the lead director for the game left for basically the same role across the street.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I remember back in the day, Jaffe used to talk about the secret sauce to TM being that the cars don't use realistic "car" physics: instead they're designed to go super fast, turn, and accelerate on a dime, almost as if they were fighter jets:

Guess Sony must've been listening, because if this is true, this basically means Twisted Metal will be made by the core team that made WipeOut, a series about futuristic fighter jets.

TLDR -- this might be a better fit for this developer than it looks!

Damn, I miss this Jaffe. Back when he had a spine.

Unless Sony gives the game a Concrete Genie level budget for the original horror aesthetic, this game is going to flop harder than Destruction All-Stars. Sony is listening to a vocal minority that has no idea how unpopular their wants are, that they decided to make a show with perhaps their least marketable franchise I can think of. Playstation will have to make fundamental drastic changes, which purists will bitch about to no end. ”Ew Fortnite!, Battle Royale!, SJW!”

The Nightmare Before Christmas x Mario Kart is the only way.
You can literally make this statement about any game company. Who’s to say perfect dark won’t bomb?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder how much sony has spent on firesprite.

Firesprite aquired Frabric games right after sony aquired them bringing up the total dev count to 265, which is quite a big studio.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Here's Jaffe demonstrating the new mini game in the new Twisted Metal where you get to shoot all the people who don't apologize for being white

jaffes-got-a-weapon-and-hes-not-afraid-to-use-it.large.jpg

ACESHIGH

Banned
I would jump in the battle royale genre if it includes car combat. Level up, unlock weaponry to customize you car. Play PVE events against powered up versions of Twisted metal bosses like darkside, sweet tooth, dark tooth and minion... what's not to like?

Last edited:
I would jump in the battle royale genre if it includes car combat. Level up, unlock weaponry to customize you car. Play PVE events against powered up versions of Twisted metal bosses like darkside, sweet tooth, far tooth and minion... what's not to like?

God i hope they get this game right. Twisted Metal 2 was like half my childhood, i would love to have a good playing modern twisted metal with good character stories and customization

RPSleon

Hopefully it works. I played TM2 for years as a kid. All modes were fun to me...Single, 2player battle and co-op. If its going to be anything like the previous ones then it should take inspiration from TM2. It is easily the best and then Black from what i can remember. Whatever 989 Studios did was garbage.

While it wont hurt to have a battle royale mode, i just dont see it being too fun. Team Deathmatch might work better.

Theyd really have to fine-tune the Characters though...and i know people are all for customizations these days, but k really hope its limited to aesthetics and not widely with vehicle weapons. Limited loadouts per vehicle would be nice. Outlaw should be Outlaw, and Sweetooth should be Sweetooth.
Overwatch style.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Vigilante 8: Second Offence was far more polished than any Twisted Metal on Playstation, to be honest. All maps were completely interactive and had tons of details. It is my favorite vehicular combat game so far. And it has three versions on three very different platforms (PS, N64 and DC), with good graphics and performance in all of them.

Edit: The 2008 remake wasn't any good. Maybe it's time for another entry.

This V8 was one of my favourite titles of all time on PS1. It felt far more polished and better looking at the time, the interactive scenes like you remind me of are vivid I used to love setting off the waterways on the farm map I think it was? to flip peoples cars completely destroying them etc.

aclar00

God i hope they get this game right. Twisted Metal 2 was like half my childhood, i would love to have a good playing modern twisted metal with good character stories and customization

I know customizations are a thing now, but someone defiling my beloved Outlaw with graffiti, furry tails and eyes for a windshelf would be blasphemy!

HTK

Banned
I prefer Motorstorm over Twisted Metal. I hope they resurrect that franchise to be honest.

Also gives me hope for Twisted Metal with the Motorstorm director.

Last edited:

aclar00

I would jump in the battle royale genre if it includes car combat. Level up, unlock weaponry to customize you car. Play PVE events against powered up versions of Twisted metal bosses like darkside, sweet tooth, dark tooth and minion... what's not to like?

The PvE actually sounds pretty good....maybe even procedurally generated bosses...

Single Player/Co-Op story
PvE
Deathmatch -last man standing as well
Battle Royale
Capture the Flag/Base
Race (like Mario Kart)
Dungeon Survival
Cops and Robbers (cop teams stops others from gathering or destroying something)
Maybe even a zombie vehicle survival
Soccer Mode ( those who like that one game)
i guess some basic vehicle level-ups (rpg style)

Old school controlls would be great option to me as well. Dont know why, but loved the directional buttons for special moves. Left Right Up to Freeze!

I know customizations are a thing now, but someone defiling my beloved Outlaw with graffiti, furry tails and eyes for a windshelf would be blasphemy!

I mostly mean gun and specials customization
The PvE actually sounds pretty good....maybe even procedurally generated bosses...

Single Player/Co-Op story
PvE
Deathmatch -last man standing as well
Battle Royale
Capture the Flag/Base
Race (like Mario Kart)
Dungeon Survival
Cops and Robbers (cop teams stops others from gathering or destroying something)
Maybe even a zombie vehicle survival
Soccer Mode ( those who like that one game)
i guess some basic vehicle level-ups (rpg style)

Old school controlls would be great option to me as well. Dont know why, but loved the directional buttons for special moves. Left Right Up to Freeze!

You even needed d-pad inputs to jump lol

Last edited:

aclar00

I mostly mean gun and specials customization

You even needed d-pad inputs to jump lol

Up Up Left if im not mistaken....used to love finding out inputs from the stages back then too. Like throwing a napalm at a buildboard. It would burn and reveal a new input code.

edit: the input for the jump is actually pretty great considering jumping all the damn time in the game would have made it unplayable. Using the meter and input made it a bit more special as a strategical move.

Last edited:
My heart just skipped a beat when I read MotorStorm lol. Please, Sony! Resurrect that damn game! On topic, would also like to see a new Twisted Metal, but not sure how they could make it fresh to succeed.
Same man, I'm surprised that the Motorstorm director is till around! Maybe one day they'll reboot it.

IMO, battle royale games are competitive multiplayer and Twisted Metal wasn't that (for the obvious reasons). I absolutely loved playing the game splitscreen with a friend against the computer, but I 100% dislike playing online competitive games.
Here it is right here. This is where they are going to get it wrong.
Twisted metal was a single player and local co-op game. It was not "battle royale" as we know it today.
It had the same premise but you went against the computer.
Each car /character was unique with strengths and weaknesses.

Doing that for gaas and loot box, or whatever sick and degenerate monetization scheme they add on will not translate well with this game.
I wish people would push back against Gaas. WE have some evangelists on this here forum for that crap. Just no, it ruins games.
You get a bunch of kids/teens playing it and then they will move on once their friends find the next free to play shiny. I seen this first hand with my step son and his friends a few years back.

For twisted metal to be a success it will need both a comprehensive single player mode and a compelling multiplayer mode with local and online play.
Doing the later without the former will not make a good game. If they think they can skip single player or make that a glorified tutorial they will be wrong.

Hell they could add to the story lines and make single player more fleshed out. Have interactive stories for each character. Maybe some level up mechanics.
They could do it but we will see if it works.

Personally i wont give it the time of day if this is some gaas game. I belive gaas is detriment to good gameplay and i strongly dislike nickel and dime monetization. Level playing field, if you want to get stronger level up by skill rewards in game, not by gems, cash, etc... Also cosmetic apperance/skins should be in game rewards, not pay $5 for skin y. I hate where gaas is taking gaming. Bring back in game unlocks.

Last edited:
Here it is right here. This is where they are going to get it wrong.
Twisted metal was a single player and local co-op game. It was not "battle royale" as we know it today.
It had the same premise but you went against the computer.
Each car /character was uinque with strengths and weaknesses.

Doing that for gaas and loot box, or whatever sick and degenerate monetization scheme they add on will not translate well with this game.
I wish people would push back against Gaas. WE have some evangelists on this here forum for that crap. Just no, it ruins games.
You get a bunch of kids/teens playing it and then they will move on once their friends find the next free to play shiny. I seen this first hand with my step son and his friends a few years back.

For twisted metal to be a success it will need both a comprehensive single player mode and a compelling multiplayer mode with local and online play.
Doing the later without the former will not make a good game. If they think they can skip single player or make that a glorified tutorial they will be wrong.

Hell they could add to the story lines and make single player more fleshed out. Have interactive stories for each character. Maybe some level up mechanics.
They could do it but we will see if it works.

Yeah, i really hope its not F2P. Thats what ultimately kills my interest in multiversus not being able to just couch co-op and do story missions and stuff

I hate the fact that people are pushing the whole “if its not F2P its dead” thing for multiplayer titles. That doesn’t work for everything

Last edited:
Top Bottom