• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch is facing an employee exodus amid a culture clash, reports claim (vcg)

kingfey

Banned

A new report has claimed that several top Twitch executives have left the company, apparently in part due to a failure to understand Twitch’s culture.

According to Bloomberg (paywalled), Amazon‘s streaming platform has faced an exodus of executives since the start of 2022. The report claims that six top employees – including the chief operating officer, chief content officer and head of creator development – have all left this year.

On top of this, more than 300 other employees left last year, and more than 60 more have already left in 2022.

Marcus ‘DJ Wheat’ Graham, former head of creator development, told Bloomberg that he believes the issue is down to a failure of new executives to understand the Twitch community.

“We went down the Silicon Valley route, hiring from Facebook, from Twitter,” Graham says, claiming that many of the newer execs were “unwilling to learn what this community was, why it was special”.

Another ex-Twitch employee told Bloomberg: “The customer was the content creator. If you’re not passionate about the product, you’re not really looking at it from the customer’s lens. And so you don’t have the same level of empathy.”

According to the report, one of the key areas of conflict between veteran Twitch employees and newer executive-level staff and is that the latter has failed to heed warnings that a plan to monetise streamers’ work wouldn’t succeed.

The plan in question, which was first mentioned in September 2001, would see Twitch adding a new feature that lets viewers pay money to advertise their favourite streamers on the site.

Another change, which would see users who stream at least 40 hours a month offered financial incentives to run ads on their channels, was met with pushback from within the company. One former employee told Bloomberg: “Twitch’s leadership is uncomfortable with mid-level and lower-level employees pushing for change”.

In a statement from Twitch given to Bloomberg, the company claimed: “The common thread for all employees is a drive to serve our community—from staff members who started as streamers themselves to those who integrate themselves into Twitch culture when they start at Twitch.

“Serving a community as dynamic as Twitch’s means there isn’t always one clear solution or answer, and as a result we have always believed in being experimental and innovative – even when that means launching a bold product or experiment that might have short-term risks, but will ultimately help us build the best possible solution.”

Midn1ght

Graham says the newer execs were “unwilling to learn what this community was, why it was special”.
TightFamousDonkey-max-1mb.gif

The Office What GIF

The plan in question, which was first mentioned in September 2001, would see Twitch adding a new feature that lets viewers pay money to advertise their favourite streamers on the site.

Youtube Streaming probably going to take over soon
Yeah Twitch is done for.

We all predicted it when Mixer poached Ninja and Shroud. And when they banned Doc. And maybe like half a dozen more times, I don't even remember. Sure, they bounced back from all of those and are doing better than ever, but that's just temporary. They're really done this time. Any day now.

I guess “special is a word you could use to describe a “community” comprised mostly of simps that throw money at women so they’ll write their name on a whiteboard in the background.
Female streamers on Twitch are way behind their male counterparts in just about any metric. IIRC last year the top male streamer alone had more hours watched than the top 10 female streamers combined.

Who made more money from viewers, the male streamers or the female streamers?
We'll probably never know, since neither Twitch nor the streamers are required to release that information. It's fairly safe to assume that women make significantly less than men on average, though. When sub payouts leaked last year under 5% of the streamers on the list were women, and none of them were anywhere near the top in terms of earnings.

That being said, that's besides the point anyway. You specifically claimed simps for female streamers made up most of the site's audience, which simply isn't true, regardless of how much money whatever simps there are do spend.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You specifically claimed simps for female streamers made up most of the site's audience, which simply isn't true, regardless of how much money whatever simps there are do spend.
You're assuming that the people watching other men watch video games and the people watching women suck on fake ears aren't the same people. Bold assumption IMO.

You're assuming that the people watching other men watch video games and the people watching women suck on fake ears aren't the same people. Bold assumption IMO.
It's not an assumption, it's the only reasonable conclusion given the information available. Female streamers are a minority on Twitch, and the ones actively attracting simps are a minority within that minority. If their streams were being watched by more than half of the site's audience, then there is no way they would be as low on the hours watched ranking as they are.

I smell a simp defense force.
Might be time to schedule an ENT appointment.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's not an assumption, it's the only reasonable conclusion given the information available. Female streamers are a minority on Twitch, and the ones actively attracting simps are a minority within that minority. If their streams were being watched by more than half of the site's audience, then there is no way they would be as low on the hours watched ranking as they are.

Might be time to schedule an ENT appointment.
Am I speaking french here or something?

I'm saying that you're assuming that the people that watch the women thot-ing it up don't also watch the men stream games. I'm saying they probably do, since doing either is quite sad. There is likely a large overlap.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Not a simp when I've no problem actually paying for what I want and getting it.
Oh you talkin' bout hoes
I get it
....Are they the simp defense force? I'm not following....
EDIT: Wait, so if the hoes are the simp defense force, wouldn't that mean they're the ones simping and paying the women on Twitch? Wouldn't that be like...inception style shit??? (+Spelling)

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Oh you talkin' bout hoes
I get it
....Are they the simp defense force? I'm not following....
EDIT: Wait, so if the hoes are the simp defense force, wouldn't that mean they're the ones simping and paying the women on Twitch? Wouldn't that be like...inception style shit??? (+Spelling)

You're getting no more attention here my man. Move along.

Am I speaking french here or something?

I'm saying that you're assuming that the people that watch the women thot-ing it up don't also watch the men stream games. I'm saying they probably do, since doing either is quite sad.
What makes you think I'm assuming anything of the sort? Nothing I said precludes that people watching thots also watch male streamers. In fact I'm pretty sure they do. But assuming that this means that the reverse must be true as well makes as much sense as saying that since most people in Texas are Americans, most Americans must also be living in Texas.

Just like Texas would inevitably be the most populous state by far if most Americans really did live there, thot streamers would inevitably dominate the Twitch rankings if most of the site's audience actually did watch them.

Bragr

Banned
Youtube Streaming probably going to take over soon
Ever actually tried to watch youtube gaming? it's a complete disaster. Everything from the chat to its interface is complete garbage, it's hard to find anything that you are looking for. Youtube doesn't give a shit about anyone but the most casual of casuals who don't care about quality.

Zeroing

Banned
I guess “special" is a word you could use to describe a “community” comprised mostly of simps that throw money at women so they’ll write their name on a whiteboard in the background.
I have so many questions... what is a Simp ? why straight men get turned by that?
What makes you think I'm assuming anything of the sort? Nothing I said precludes that people watching thots also watch male streamers. In fact I'm pretty sure they do. But assuming that this means that the reverse must be true as well makes as much sense as saying that since most people in Texas are Americans, most Americans must also be living in Texas.

Just like Texas would inevitably be the most populous state by far if most Americans really did live there, thot streamers would inevitably dominate the Twitch rankings if most of the site's audience actually did watch them.
I once watched a dude, playing shirtless... (good pecs) but it was long time ago I think twitch banned men from being shirtless?!?!

Wildebeest

Most of their popular content these days is "just chatting". This is. People watching youtube videos while masticating like a cow and making irregular inane or unintelligible comments. Fake as hell "reality tv" where you watch people hang out with each other awkwardly because they are from a generation where everything is mediated by a device, and they don't know how to act normally. Then there is the pure one person on cam "just chatting" content, where attractive people talk drama with other streamers or just burble incoherently because they are smart enough to realize that nobody really values what they have to say. This is the all conquering behemoth of "just chatting" which is dominating all game content on a gaming website.

kingfey

Banned
I have so many questions... what is a Simp ? why straight men get turned by that?
People who are creepy in real life. They come in all size and shape. Most people think it's fat men, but in reality there are also simps who are average looking men.

Most of the time, they are lonely people, or on friendzone section. They Panter to women, who have no interest in them. They either throw their money on them, or defend them.

That is what I got from watching YouTube videos about them.

Twitch uses these people to make money from. When you got attractive lady they can talk to, they get the sense of feeling noticed. So they throw alot of money.

As for why men are attracted to them, it's power of horny. People cant resist hot lady, who talks to them on twitch. Same thing as why only fans is big.

Last edited:

tassletine

I once got something 3D printed. The guy had a setup in his house, was well off, but seemed depressed. Looking at my bill and saw that I was numbered 700 odd on the invoice, which meant that he was very wealthy off this one machine that he owned -- But all he was doing was just filling the machine and pressing a button, so was miserable. He was a factory worker, albeit a very rich one, but he was trapped in the situation. First world problems I know.

But this is modern industry. You can't fill a company full of people and expect it to get better or work more efficiently, when the business model is fixed and raking in the bucks.

Especially here, where they abdicate responsibility, saying it's all about the consumer. A boss like that will never cave to anyone's demands as they are essentially cowardly.

"We have always believed in being experimental and innovative"

(translated) We will hire and fire as many people as it takes as long as they serve the algorithm.

These are not good people. It doesn't matter what you call your 'executives' -- If they are there to serve without question, and the boss is abdicating, those people will get pissed off and leave.
You can't tell someone they are in charge and then give them a job where they're clearly not.

HoodWinked

Just seems like mid management bickering at upper management. Seems exactly like millennial know-it-alls saying they'd do a better job.

But anyways, like there is the term late stage capitalism. Late stage twitch is now starting to come into focus.

What I've noticed is there are maybe a dozen streamers that know each other and they collectively get the majority of the viewership. Basically they're the equivalent to the marvel cinematic universe.

Ah yes the failing to understand the 'Look at me' culture.

No wonder self advertise on a streaming platform didn't take off. that would have made it look more of a Pyramid scheme than it already is.

Dane

Twitch has been banning small time streamers for any offensive word but letting Hot Tub streamers to be banned multiple times and return days later, rules for thee but not for the others.

karasu

We'll probably never know, since neither Twitch nor the streamers are required to release that information. It's fairly safe to assume that women make significantly less than men on average, though. When sub payouts leaked last year under 5% of the streamers on the list were women, and none of them were anywhere near the top in terms of earnings.

That being said, that's besides the point anyway. You specifically claimed simps for female streamers made up most of the site's audience, which simply isn't true, regardless of how much money whatever simps there are do spend.
The way people think girls are ruling Twitch lkinda highlights people's tendency to focus on what they don't like and miss reality altogether.

MrFunSocks

Banned
People who are creepy in real life. They come in all size and shape. Most people think it's fat men, but in reality there are also simps who are average looking men.

Most of the time, they are lonely people, or on friendzone section. They Panter to women, who have no interest in them. They either throw their money on them, or defend them.

That is what I got from watching YouTube videos about them.

Twitch uses these people to make money from. When you got attractive lady they can talk to, they get the sense of feeling noticed. So they throw alot of money.

As for why men are attracted to them, it's power of horny. People cant resist hot lady, who talks to them on twitch. Same thing as why only fans is big.
They’re basically the guys who go to a strip club and keep paying hundreds of dollars for lap dances and believe that the girl really likes them and that they can save them from a life of stripping.

Well they would be if they ever went outside.

Top Bottom