• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Happy Skeleton GIF

EliteSmurf

Elon smoked weed once and made it his whole personality.
I wonder where Elon goes next to post his 420 and 69 memes?
Meta?
Truth social? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Velcro Fly

It was a hellscape that masqueraded as something that wasn't before Elon got ahold of it.

Now it is self aware. It knows it is shit and isn't trying to hide it. It's almost endearing in a really sad way.

I still think the way things are being handled is super dumb, and the random fake out verified accounts is going to get old really fast, but for the first few days of this there have been some funny ones.

RAÏSanÏa

There's room for an alternative now. Advertisers and users want reliability and security. They're free of any obligation. A new professionally run service that approaches it responsibly as a utility of a public privilege, like driving, and takes the plentiful lessons, moderation policies, and features from twitters successes and blunders to construct a new platform that's easier to create and successfully launch.

Now that the blue checkmarks are dissatisfied too they can help their followers migrate to a new platform. It's a surprise that monetization went the way it did with twitter. Adding new features and charging for those might have been better for user satisfaction and far less disruptive. But the disruption seems intentional. The follow up to seeing how losing all that wealth effects Elon should be historic. His judgement seems to be getting worse, or at least unreliable for investment, less around reality and more ideologue.

Last edited:
Imagine not knowing that it's been Elon's MO for a decade to raise the specter of bankruptcy whenever he wants people to work harder.

There's no alternative to Twitter and everyone knows it. If it dies, no one will attempt to make a replacement because who wants to lose money 8 out of the last 10 years like Twitter did?

Who cares Twitter has been helping the downfall of humanity should never be taken seriously
But it can also be very useful if you avoid topics that incentivize anger for clicks. I honestly don't want to see that go away.

I just wanted twitter to ban slurs (just as GAF does), enforce the law when it comes to genuine cases of threats or inciting violence, and to otherwise stop playing the morality police. Would it have been so hard to only do that and not screw around with the one thing that offers companies and users protection against impersonation?

SJRB

Gold Member
Unless the company was relentlessly hemorrhaging money I don't really understand his scorched earth policy.

And the whole verification thing is just a complete shitshow. Incredibly poorly thought out. The only reason he would implement it like that is if they needed cashflow IMMEDIATELY.

Fascinating to watch though.

bender

What time is it?
Unless the company was relentlessly hemorrhaging money I don't really understand his scorched earth policy.

And the whole verification thing is just a complete shitshow. Incredibly poorly thought out. The only reason he would implement it like that is if they needed cashflow IMMEDIATELY.

Fascinating to watch though.

Twitter annual net profit / loss 2012 to 2021 ($mm)​

YearNet profit / loss ($mm)
2012-79
2013-645
2014-577
2015-521
2016-456
2017-108
2020-1136
2021-221

Twitter annual revenue by segment 2015 to 2021 ($bn)​

YearAdvertisingData licensing & Other

Grossly overpaid for Twitter and took out loans to do so that will cost him a billion+ per year in interest alone. Fired about half of the headcount (before trying to hire some back) in turn scaring away advertisers whole advertisements account for the vast majority of Twitter's revenue. I know people like to bitch about Twitter's moderation policies but they weren't trying to protect progressives, they were trying to foster an environment their advertisers wanted to invest money into. On the bright side, if he can convince 10 million accounts to sign up for a blue check mark, he can pay for the interest on the loans he took out.

Last edited:
At what stage do Musk fans start to admit he’s not playing some sort of 4d super intelligent business chess? Twitter might survive, but to claim Musk is fully in control of the situation, and everything is proceeding to some grand master plan, is starting to look more than a little stupid.

The only 4D chess answer to this crazy situation is that it's bringing a ton of attention and press, which is resulting in higher than ever activity on the platform.

Is that really why he's doing all this verified account madness? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it. None of what is happening right now is even close to what I expected. This all seems absurd.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

In an entirely predictable outcome, the new Twitter Blue system is being absolutely fucking rinsed, and it's hilarious:

And hey... take it from someone who's worked in PR and Comms his entire career, this shit will not fly with advertisers. If they think the platform is not a reliable way for them to get their messaging across because of parody and fake accounts, then they'll leave in droves. Especially if they think those parodies negatively impact that messaging. Perception is reality. Good luck getting people to give you money to advertise if they think that perception can be altered by comedians with $8 in their pocket.

Edit: For example, this is just fucking beautiful:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
But these blue check mark accounts paid with a credit card, right? Or does he allow you to pay in crypto? Seems like he COULD ban those humans for life if that's in the TOS.

Kilau

Gold Member
The whole verified thing became a joke anyway when it shifted from signifying official legitimacy to a status symbol of “quality” content.

Not that people realized that though. I like Wario64 but why did he need a check? Why did fanboy accounts like Klobrille who has Conker for a profile pic and zero quality need a check? Just two examples of pointlessly verified accounts before Elon started his stupidity there.

People turned off their critical thinking and the check just made it easier to accept anything at face value.

It’s also laughable that advertisers take a stand now when twitter has always been full of disgusting opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom