• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whats your career background in the industry?
We've done this... There are folks in this thread who disregard expertise to fit their narratives.
Appeal to authority is not a defense. Nor is anecdotal evidence.

The evidence is in the public arena, comments made, how the market their brands, this whole fiasco, etc., etc..

Colin with Nike is one example, selling products with BLM, putting these very culture shaping messages in their commercials, making public statements about them (PlayStation, Xbox and every other brand has done this, minus Nintendo), sports brands with select messages in the culture war on back of helmets, end zones, BB courts, etc. etc..

They're every bit involved with it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Man’s an absolute cunt. Sooner he’s banned off everything, the better.
That too. I have a feeling he is going to put Musks new guidelines to the real test in the coming days after that Jones interview.

I'd say he's gone off the rails, but he isn't even in the same zip code as the rails anymore.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
People called toning down Christmas specific imagery as a "war on Christmas."

Trying to appeal to broader demographics IS a "culture war" to these people. It's a "woke mind virus" to have a gay couple in an ad..

Ah, now you see. You can only say an advert is using culture wars to sell a product, if the advert makes reference to both sides, and denigrates one of them. That would be ‘culture war’ advertising.

Appealing to a defined demographic is merely targeted advertising, and if someone thinks that’s leaning on the culture war to sell products, well, that would make them an idiot.

When they say ‘culture war’ they mean ‘it’s not being advertised to people like me, and I don’t like it’.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The evidence is in the public arena, comments made, how the market their brands, this whole fiasco, etc., etc..

Colin with Nike is one example, selling products with BLM, putting these very culture shaping messages in their commercials, making public statements about them (PlayStation, Xbox and every other brand has done this, minus Nintendo), sports brands with select messages in the culture war on back of helmets, end zones, BB courts, etc. etc..

You’re clueless on this. Absolutely clueless about how these things work. But I don’t expect that to stop you. Do carry on. I’ll remain over here, knowing full well what is actually going on.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yet these companies are balls deep in it now. Literally, lol.
I don't think they are as engrossed in the "culture war" as you think they are, but I suspect most of that disagreement probably comes from differing definitions of what we consider to be "culture war" material and what specific examples of corporate activity rise to that threshold. But let's put that aside for now and try to focus on the broader perspective.

At the end of the day, these corporations, including Twitter, do what they do because they consider it good for business. They don't really care about these issues on a personal level. They do what they do because certain actions are good for their brand (more money) and certain actions are bad for their brand (less money). This explains why you feel that they are hypocritical for virtue signaling in some territories while still doing business in oppressive/regressive countries. From a personal and ethical point of view, yeah, I see your point. But these are corporations we're talking about. They only care about their profit, as is their responsibility under capitalism. From their point of view, their actions are completely consistent.

And here we are, in the meantime, placing our own personally motivated political grievances and biases onto the profit motivated actions of these multinational conglomerates as if that means anything.

DeaDPo0L84

Welp, Kanye just said he can see good things about Hitler in an interview on Infowars, where him and Jones spouted a shit load of antisemitism, so that reinstatement looks to have been a work of genius on Musk’s part.
Dammit now I'll have to like Hitler and hate Jews, I can't keep up with these ever changing thoughts being forced upon me because someone said them on Twitter🤦‍♂️.

Oh wait I can just recognize him for the objective moron he is and move on, whew.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think they are as engrossed in the "culture war" as you think they are, but I suspect most of that disagreement probably comes from differing definitions of what we consider to be "culture war" material and what specific examples of corporate activity rise to that threshold. But let's put that aside for now and try to focus on the broader perspective.

At the end of the day, these corporations, including Twitter, do what they do because they consider it good for business. They don't really care about these issues on a personal level. They do what they do because certain actions are good for their brand (more money) and certain actions are bad for their brand (less money). This explains why you feel that they are hypocritical for virtue signaling in some territories while still doing business in oppressive/regressive countries. From a personal and ethical point of view, yeah, I see your point. But these are corporations we're talking about. They only care about their profit, as is their responsibility under capitalism. From their point of view, their actions are completely consistent.

And here we are, in the meantime, placing our own personally motivated political grievances and biases onto the profit motivated actions of these multinational conglomerates as if that means anything.
I don't disagree that the ultimate goal in advertising is to make money.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Dammit now I'll have to like Hitler and hate Jews, I can't keep up with these ever changing thoughts being forced upon me because someone said them on Twitter🤦‍♂️.

Oh wait I can just recognize him for the objective moron he is and move on, whew.

Kanye has millions of devoted and impressionable fans. Good job you're not one of them. But not everyone is as cool as you, bro.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Kanye has millions of devoted and impressionable fans. Good job you're not one of them. But not everyone is as cool as you, bro.
"With great power comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben's Rice

(oops, I mean Ben's Original now)

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

People have no problem with recognizing it and moving on... moving on down the road with the advertisers. They don't want to platform that as many other don't. They won't let some misplaced sense of freespeech or be goaded into supporting a place for those working against their own essential values.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member

Feels like you got an axe to grind, and are harboring deep feelings where Twitter moderation did you dirty - it's like complaining about era. No one gives a shit what a shit platform does - but you're still carrying the anger.

And if someone who is from these industries (PR, Tech, etc) says what you're talking isn't accurate isn't an appeal to authority but is offering counter evidence based in more fact than your assumptions. Take it or don't, but you're definitely railing on topics that seem out of your depth and more personally driven than fact based

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Feels like you got an axe to grind, and are harboring deep feelings where Twitter moderation did you dirty - it's like complaining about era. No one gives a shit what a shit platform does - but you're still carrying the anger.

And if someone who is from these industries (PR, Tech, etc) says what you're talking isn't accurate isn't an appeal to authority but is offering counter evidence based in more fact than your assumptions. Take it or don't, but you're definitely railing on topics that seem out of your depth and more personally driven than fact based
I don't have a personal twitter. I have a company profile, never had issues since it was all business oriented.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I get the sentiment, I really do. I can even sympathize with the position of those who wish for potentially harmful opinions to never reach the eyes/ears of impressionable people, especially our youth. But even before the internet this was always the case, case in point, Hitler.

One example that immediately springs to mind was when LeBron James posted a picture of the cop that shot the knife wielding black girl who was about to stab another girl with a quote saying "you're next". He too has millions of young impressionable fans. I thought it was terrible of him to do that and I believe he apologized but the damage was done.

These hyper popular celebrity figures will ALWAYS have their followings, borderline cult at that. That doesn't mean everyone just throws theirs hands up in the air and says fuck it, but maybe the sensible ones can collectively come together and call out the bullshit together, ALL OF IT, not just the stuff that aligns with their partisan world view. Unfortunately that doesn't happen and instead the "armies" behind these individuals go to bat for them and will continue to do so regardless of presented facts. No new moderation rules or mean words are going to change that.

Just like when I first experienced online gaming with SOCOM, people are simply assholes.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I don't have a personal twitter. I have a company profile, never had issues since it was all business oriented.

Then where are these feels coming from? Your freedom of speech clearly has been fine until now - so what's up? If you don't even use it who are you fighting on behalf of?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then where are these feels coming from? Your freedom of speech clearly has been fine until now - so what's up? If you don't even use it who are you fighting on behalf of?
What feels? Just pointing out the hollow virtue.

"selective mean words that have not changed on Twitter before or after, this is an outrage" - The companies

"laws that literally imprison or sentence to death certain demographics, slave labor, etc, we will respect your laws and adapt business as usual" - The same companies

That's all. Just musing when certain people are waving pom poms as if this is some sort of moral victory by these advertisers or companies. There are no morals in their "virtue."

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Appeal to authority is not a defense.

An appeal to authority would be if he were attempting to use his position to suggest that his opinion could take the place of evidence. That's not what's happening - he's offering his expertise to provably make his point while disproving yours. You're actually the only person who's attempting to pass off opinion as support towards an argument.

Yes and it is apparently your moral vocation to care about other people's mental purity by gatekeeping what others are allowed to see. I trust in people's education and their ability to see it for what it is instead of cultivating more forbidden fruits. Teach people the ability to think for themselves and you don't need to burden yourself with everybody else is allowed to think. A well educated society does not have to fear a couple of nutjobs no matter their popularity.

The mere thought that people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important and akimbo009 akimbo009 may hold the power of censorship in their hands is not a pleasant one. To be honest, I don't trust anyone who wants to control what I'm allowed to see. I'd say the more fundamental problem of American society is a severe lack of decent public education and a celebrity culture that favors dehumanizing hedonism rather than personal excellence.

The American entertainment industry is literally dumbing down its own population, yet the people who seek to control public discourse are the same ones fawning over every Marvel movie or entertainment product that Hollywood craps out. It's funny how those who preach about "hate speech" are also the ones who generate the most vile bile and enemy images. The sheer hate against Musk expressed in this thread alone is just frightening.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The mere thought that people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important and akimbo009 akimbo009 may hold the power of censorship in their hands is not a pleasant one. To be honest, I don't trust anyone who wants to control what I'm allowed to see. I'd say the more fundamental problem of American society is a severe lack of decent public education and a celebrity culture that favors dehumanizing hedonism rather than personal excellence.

The American entertainment industry is literally dumbing down its own population, yet the people who seek to control public discourse are the same ones fawning over every Marvel movie or entertainment product that Hollywood craps out.
This below is what happens when it pushes too far... UAS/UK also have backdoor censoring. "for the greater good" of state approved messaging, of course.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I get the sentiment, I really do. I can even sympathize with the position of those who wish for potentially harmful opinions to never reach the eyes/ears of impressionable people, especially our youth. But even before the internet this was always the case, case in point, Hitler.

One example that immediately springs to mind was when LeBron James posted a picture of the cop that shot the knife wielding black girl who was about to stab another girl with a quote saying "you're next". He too has millions of young impressionable fans. I thought it was terrible of him to do that and I believe he apologized but the damage was done.

These hyper popular celebrity figures will ALWAYS have their followings, borderline cult at that. That doesn't mean everyone just throws theirs hands up in the air and says fuck it, but maybe the sensible ones can collectively come together and call out the bullshit together, ALL OF IT, not just the stuff that aligns with their partisan world view. Unfortunately that doesn't happen and instead the "armies" behind these individuals go to bat for them and will continue to do so regardless of presented facts. No new moderation rules or mean words are going to change that.

Just like when I first experienced online gaming with SOCOM, people are simply assholes.
So hypothetically if Kanye brought the rhetoric he showed on InfoWars to Twitter would you be in favor of the tweets being removed and him being banned/suspended?

Or would you be in favor of no action being taken at all?

Toons

If this is you when Musk buys Twitter I don't dare think what fantasies you'll dream up when SpaceX lands on Mars.
If he's lying then, I'll call out when he's lying. Should I not? Lol

You're projecting movies in your head and then try to convince people you know it's what happened.
You know nothing about what Musk knew and didn't know, what he thought or didn't think or what those two talked about.

I know what he THOUGHT he knew. He told us that. Thats all that matters.

This below is what happens when it pushes too far... UAS/UK also have backdoor censoring. "for the greater good" of state approved messaging, of course.

Holy...

It's the people who should control the government, not the other way around.
Isn't the NZ Prime Minister the crazy party chick who does cocaine and who partied at night clubs during the pandemic while her own ministers tested positive? Yeah, those are the people we should trust with what we're allowed to say and read.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member

I'm not from New Zealand - and I can't comment much on their access but they do have a Chief Censor and a classification office which handles censoring and moderation in their country.

Facebook has to comply most likely, so that's not an entirely surprising gotcha. Fucking ironic it's Dotcom who's waving the flag as a fucking felon who ran away to NZ. Like, he didn't read the fine print apparently.

Holy...

It's the people who should control the government, not the other way around.
Isn't the NZ Prim Minister the crazy party chick who does cocaine and who partied at night clubs during the pandemic while her own ministers tested positive? Yeah, those are the people we should trust with what we're allowed to say and read.

You're confusing her with Finland. But you're neither finish or NZer, so why do you give a shit? You're all over the place, trying to say what countries should or shouldn't do or who they elect or don't elect. Stay in your lane.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yes and it is apparently your moral vocation to care about other people's mental purity by gatekeeping what others are allowed to see. I trust in people's education and their ability to see it for what it is instead of cultivating more forbidden fruits. Teach people the ability to think for themselves and you don't need to burden yourself with everybody else is allowed to think. A well educated society does not have to fear a couple of nutjobs no matter their popularity.

The American entertainment industry is literally dumbing down its own population, yet the people who seek to control public discourse are the same ones fawning over every Marvel movie or entertainment product that Hollywood craps out. It's funny how those who preach about "hate speech" are also the ones who generate the most vile bile and enemy images. The sheer hate against Musk expressed in this thread alone is just frightening.

Banning Kanye for liking Hitler and being grossly anti Semitic is something anyone with a decent grasp on reality would support. Why are you bringing up anything else when that’s all I’m talking about?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The Kanye shit may be a non-starter because of EU law.

Just depends on what he says on Twitter itself I imagine though. But holocaust denial and anti-semitism are pretty strongly codified as outright illegal in the EU.

Nobody_Important

Banning Kanye for liking Hitler and being grossly anti Semitic is something anyone with a decent grasp on reality would support. Why are you bringing up anything else when that’s all I’m talking about?
Because he know he can't fight you on that point because you're factually right. So he has to maneuver around it.

Last edited:
No no! Its imperative to the health of our society that he's allowed to tell people hitler invented microphones on twitter!
Are your arguments that bad that you need to keep strawmanning like that?

If that's all you're talking about then why post it in here? It has nothing to do with Musk and Twitter then.

Toons

Well thats the thing. Niether their fears about what will happen when [group] gets "power", nor their adulation of what Musk "will" do is based on reality that has already happened. Its always speculative, "just you wait and see" type prediction based argumentation. Stoking fear of what may happen, and stoking anticipation of what may be done.

Meanwhile we have ACTUAL real stuff happening in real time, like Kanye's recent comments(which is pushing me to just drop his stuff entirely), to support what we are saying. And what kind of ideology is allowed to spread and fester if unchecked.

Musk reinstated him. Clearly a mistake.

Oh so that's why you even care about this in the first place.

Meanwhile we have ACTUAL real stuff happening in real time, like Kanye's recent comments(which is pushing me to just drop his stuff entirely), to support what we are saying. And what kind of ideology is allowed to spread and fester if unchecked.

"If you allow free speech, the NAZIS will take over" is not the compelling argument you think it is.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

52utbnp.png

Their fates continue to appear entwined.

Last edited:

Toons

Are your arguments that bad that you need to keep strawmanning like that?

Its not a strawman at all. If you're a free speech absolutist who believe all forms of "alternative perspectives" must be given space on this platform, then that's exactly what you're saying. The "society" bit is straight out of Musks mou--- er twitter feed. Of course we know that he isn't consistent on this even in the site. But then again he reinstated Kanye.

So if Kanye actually goes to post thus stuff; do you see Elon holding his ground or banning him again?

Nobody_Important

Oh so that's why you even care about this in the first place.
Do you disagree? Kanye was pretty clear about his beliefs today.

And given that he said it all live on camera it's not crazy to think some of that might spill onto twitter. So the hypothetical is a valid one.

DeaDPo0L84

So hypothetically if Kanye brought the rhetoric he showed on InfoWars to Twitter would you be in favor of the tweets being removed and him being banned/suspended?

Or would you be in favor of no action being taken at all?
I mean it essentially found its way onto Twitter by way of so many people sharing it. But if what you're asking is if he straight up tweets "Hitler is actually a great dude and is simply misunderstood, also Jews are assholes". Then in my personal opinion no he shouldn't be banned or suspended, but not because I'm "okay with it".

My reason being he's just an objective idiot. It's a terrible and horribly wrong thing to believe, just like holocaust denying. But banning him from Twitter does not solve the problem as it were. Now if he goes on a rant about how he wishes Hitler was still around so he could finish the job and get rid of the remaining Jews that's a call to violence, that's different, I'd then have no issue with him receiving a punishment of some kind.

But again in my opinion it solves nothing in the end. Their are people who will defend this guy no matter what he says and if he pops up elsewhere they'll simply go there to continue the nonsense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Musk reinstated him. Clearly a mistake.
They have actual terrorist states and groups on there before Musk that push this same shit off of Twitter. Nobody cared then.

It's what you post on there that gets the moderation guidelines, not what you do off of there.

like Kanye's recent comments (which is pushing me to just drop his stuff entirely),
Agreed.

Pull your head out of Musk’s ass for a moment. It was a stupid move to reinstate someone like Kanye. It’s okay to admit it. Doesn’t mean he’s always wrong.
Kanye clearly has some mental issues to deal with. I'm sure most people are aware of that. Banning him won't make antisemitism go away. He's clearly not well, his friends should take him out of the spotlight and provide the care and therapy that he needs. This isn't Elon's fault.

Do you disagree? Kanye was pretty clear about his beliefs today.

Disagree with that exactly, that what Kanye said was stupid? No and him publicly airing these views will only cost him his public support, not reinforce it.

"If you dont let Nazis post, fascism will rise again" isn't much better.
Well take a look where that approach has brought you, only to more polarization and extremist thinking. So good job I guess...

Nobody_Important

I mean it essentially found its way onto Twitter by way of so many people sharing it. But if what you're asking is if he straight up tweets "Hitler is actually a great dude and is simply misunderstood, also Jews are assholes". Then in my personal opinion no he shouldn't be banned or suspended, but not because I'm "okay with it".

My reason being he's just an objective idiot. It's a terrible and horribly wrong thing to believe, just like holocaust denying. But banning him from Twitter does not solve the problem as it were. Now if he goes on a rant about how he wishes Hitler was still around so he could finish the job and get rid of the remaining Jews that's a call to violence, that's different, I'd then have no issue with him receiving a punishment of some kind.

But again in my opinion it solves nothing in the end. Their are people who will defend this guy no matter what he says and if he pops up elsewhere they'll simply go there to continue the nonsense.
Yeah I can't possibly disagree more. If he goes on to Twitter and starts spouting that insanity and hate he deserves the door immediately and permanently. Him being a moron doesn't give him a blank check to spread hate on a global scale like Twitter allows.

And despite my complaints about his policies I bet Musk agrees. That would be several leaps too far even for his relaxed moderation. Advertisers would lose their shit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Kanye clearly has some mental issues to deal with. I'm sure most people are aware of that. Banning him won't make antisemitism go away. He's clearly not well, his friends should take him out of the spotlight and provide the care and therapy that he needs. This isn't Elon's fault.
Kanye is unfortunately hanging out with some of the wrong parasites as his downward spiral progresses. Something tells me that they don't have his best interests at heart. And yes, this has nothing to do with Elon.

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah I can't possibly disagree more. If he goes on to Twitter and starts apouting that insanity and hate he deserves the door immediately and permanently.

Him being a moron doesn't give him a blank check to spread hate on a global scale like Twitter allows.
The options Twitter gives you like engaging with an account to argue against whatever point they're making or simply blocking them so you never have to see their post again are two legit options to make your personal experience better.

I don't even disagree with you that his opinions he shared today are horrible. But theirs plenty of horrible things I read on Twitter daily that others view as completely acceptable and are more relevant to today, so those impact me more. Someone saying they think Hitler is a good dude who invented Xbox or some shit just comes across as the attention seeking whore we all know him to be.

Kanye is unfortunately hanging out with some of the wrong parasites as his downward spiral progresses. Something tells me that they don't have his best interests at heart. And yes, this has nothing to do with Elon.
Unfortunately, the fearmongers in this thread don't care about Kanye's well-being at all, or anybody else's for that matter. They just see it as a means to construe the narrative that "Elon is LITERALLY supporting NAZIS now!!!!"
It's all so transparent and sad really...

I don't see much support for Kanye across the board, so clearly societal reaction is working as intended and people are able to see it for what it is. Except those who want to use it as socio-political fodder of course.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It would reduce the hurt caused to Jewish people by his direct comments.

So… what’s more important?

Jewish people being free of antisemitism, or Kanye being allowed on Twitter?

Nobody_Important

The options Twitter gives you like engaging with an account to argue against whatever point they're making or simply blocking them so you never have to see their post again are two legit options to make your personal experience better.

I don't even disagree with you that his opinions he shared today are horrible. But theirs plenty of horrible things I read on Twitter daily that others view as completely acceptable and are more relevant to today, so those impact me more. Someone saying they think Hitler is a good dude who invented Xbox or some shit just comes across as the attention seeking whore we all know him to be.
What "horrible things" are you seeing that are "completely acceptable"? I'm not trying to deflect that sentence just reads weird to me and I can't think of what you mean.

And even if this is some kind of bizarre attention seeking tirade I would still say that banning him is the best answer because it will rob him of the attention and thus limit the behavior.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't see much support for Kanye across the board, so clearly societal reaction is working as intended and people are able to see it for what it is. Except those who want to use it as socio-political fodder of course.
Bingo. I went and watched the trend a bit ago. All sides (left, right, middle, etc) for the most part were denouncing his words, and then pretty much saying the same thing about the people around him not having his best interests and in some cases, helping to enable this behavior.

A few zero to 3 follower bots here and there saying they still stand with him, but the overwhelming majority by far, is not on board. That seems to be public discourse working in this instance.

Last edited:

Moneal

Bingo. I went and watched the trend a bit ago. All sides for the most part were denouncing his words, and then pretty much saying the same thing about the people around him not having his best interests and in some cases, helping to enable this behavior.

A few bots here and there saying they still stand with him, but the overwhelming majority by far, is not on board. That seems to be public discourse working in this instance.
Yes it's better to hear it from his own mouth than to hear he is a terrible person without proof from his mouth. As a mixed person, I would rather know the racists from their own words and deeds than to be told so and so was racist.

It would reduce the hurt caused to Jewish people by his direct comments.

So… what’s more important?

Jewish people being free of antisemitism, or Kanye being allowed on Twitter?

What about my hurt caused by both?
I'd much rather see public discourse coming together across partisan lines to denounce his words. That's our responsibility as citizens of a democratic pluralistic society and it would remind people of their common values.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Yes it's better to hear it from his own mouth than to hear he is a terrible person without proof from his mouth. As a mixed person, I would rather know the racists from their own words and deeds than to be told so and so was racist.
But you ARE hearing it from their mouth when it's posted. Nobody is saying delete tweets or ban people BEFORE they do or say something. How does the content being removed or them being banned after they out themselves affect that?

I legitimately don't understand.

What about my hurt caused by both?
I'd much rather see public discourse coming together across partisan lines to denounce his words. That's our responsibility as citizens of a democratic pluralistic society and it would remind people of their common values.
Caused by both? What are you talking about?

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
But you ARE hearing it from their mouth when it's posted. Nobody is saying delete tweets or ban people BEFORE they do or say something. How does the content being removed or them being banned after they out themselves affect that?

I legitimately don't understand.

There are also impressionable people who ignore comments and will feel rallied if they keep his mic open. Further, kids listen to him - not every one everywhere is a grown up - and I wouldn't want my kids to see that shit especially if they were fans and likely susceptible to his words.

We keep talking about Twitter's moderation but people gotta moderate too - or they'll fuck around and find out.

There's limits here too - so I don't know what we are defending. Either a platform can moderate or it can't. And if it can, you either agree or go somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom