• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter User claims sexual assault from WoW RP

ManaByte

Gold Member
TL: DR WoW player is playing an Elf. Orc comes up RPing an Orc. Elf player gets all triggered and starts screaming how she was sexually assaulted.

How can this game survive when the players are those fragile playing a fantasy MMO with WAR in the title?

Last edited:
Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread talking about the decline in active users with maybe some links or stats or something. A subject that no doubt would've sparked a constructive discussion about the game.

Instead it's a thread about a singular interaction between two players in a game that, while not anywhere near the numbers at its peak, still has tens of thousands of players at any given time. This sort of stuff is only meant to invoke reactions that are echo chambered to death. I don't want to come off as policing a thread that hasn't really gone anywhere yet, do your thing, but I'm not sure what sort of reply you're looking for here so it's this instead.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
qZR-V_K2_400x400.jpg

curiosity-curious.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Orc comes up RPing an Orc.

I'm sorry, but there is no way this delirious crap qualifies as RP. Not even by a long shot. If the dude thought he was "roleplaying" boy I have some bad news for him.

Incidentally, any roleplayer worth the smallest grain of salt knows that *anything* potentially unpleasant needs to be discussed out of character and agreed to with the other roleplayer beforehand, be it combat, sexual, or whatever of similar consequence unless you're part of a dedicated roleplay event or environment in which the rules have been agreed to by all involved parties in order to participate (for instance a fighting tournament, it's assumed that by participating the players agree to combat).

The bottom line is that if the one you're trying to RP with expresses the slightest discomfort in the topic of your roleplay, regardless of who, where, why, or how, you *back the F. off instantly* apologize, and if you really are into that, you go look for someone with common interests.

This is how roleplay works in any freeform RP environment and has worked like this since before MMORPGs had graphics and they were called MUDs, and even earlier. And I can guarantee without a shred of a doubt that this would have exactly the same consequences in any MMORPG today as it would have 20 years ago. Hell, Final Fantasy XIV's recent rules pretty much give the GM's discretionary power to suspend players that simply hurt other players' feelings, and I can guarantee the game's thriving. It shouldn't be hard not to be an ass.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Definite immaturity going on, but...

I don't think this will be a good thing if this ever becomes some kind of legal precedent for a crime 😒.

Last edited:

SZips

Sounds like this took place on the Mal'Ganis server ("MG"). That isn't an RP server.

But go off on how this is just some "triggered" bullshit or whatever flavor of the week it is this time. It's almost like you intentionally didn't read through the chat in the images before rushing over here to post because a woman dared to feel threatened in a game.

You also missed the part where Blizzard CS totally botched their response, then doubled down on it in further replies:

And the "apology" 8 hours later:

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I swear some people actively want bad things to happen to them just for the victim points and attention. When the real world isn't as as dangerous as their echo chamber tells them it is, well this is the result.
In all seriousness: The guy was being a douchebag, and it's not like she's acting as if she's mentally scarred or something. She's just annoyed with the behavior. There's a difference.

Now, if she starts tweeting things like "I don't know if I'll be able to get out of the house today, I feel awful and want to kill myself", then yeah, she would be taking things WAY too seriously.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's been a while since i played WoW but i remember there was an ignore or block function to get rid of players that annoy you or ruin the game for you.

Except for AFK honour farmer bots in BGs. These you couldn't get rid of unless the mods did something about them.

kalecsan

Banned
This is really the biggest downside of the internet.

20 years ago she might have gotten an article in a local newspaper for claiming she got raped by a book with a sexual passage in it.

Today thousands, sometimes millions have to read this nonsense.
Sorry to ruin your day but more than 20 years ago there were things like this already happening in MUDS, you can read about that in the first chapters of Crypto Anarchy, Cyberstates, and Pirate Utopias by Peter Ludlow.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
I'm sorry, but there is no way this delirious crap qualifies as RP. Not even by a long shot. If the dude thought he was "roleplaying" boy I have some bad news for him.

Incidentally, any roleplayer worth the smallest grain of salt knows that *anything* potentially unpleasant needs to be discussed out of character and agreed to with the other roleplayer beforehand, be it combat, sexual, or whatever of similar consequence unless you're part of a dedicated roleplay event or environment in which the rules have been agreed to by all involved parties in order to participate (for instance a fighting tournament, it's assumed that by participating the players agree to combat).

The bottom line is that if the one you're trying to RP with expresses the slightest discomfort in the topic of your roleplay, regardless of who, where, why, or how, you *back the F. off instantly* apologize, and if you really are into that, you go look for someone with common interests.

This is how roleplay works in any freeform RP environment and has worked like this since before MMORPGs had graphics and they were called MUDs, and even earlier. And I can guarantee without a shred of a doubt that this would have exactly the same consequences in any MMORPG today as it would have 20 years ago. Hell, Final Fantasy XIV's recent rules pretty much give the GM's discretionary power to suspend players that simply hurt other players' feelings, and I can guarantee the game's thriving. It shouldn't be hard not to be an ass.
Fuck, you're boring.

Star-Lord

In all seriousness: The guy was being a douchebag, and it's not like she's acting as if she's mentally scarred or something. She's just annoyed with the behavior. There's a difference.
She’s claiming she was sexually assaulted/raped through text on a screen. She might not be mentally scarred, but she is mentally deranged, as are all parties in this story. Fucking idiots.

Top Bottom