• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two College Students charged with gang rape filmed in Panama City, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

Horrifying incident here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...reds-who-did-nothing-say-police-10171358.html

Police have arrested two students in connection with the alleged gang rape of a young woman on a crowded Florida beach - said to have taken place while hundreds of people looked on. Officers have detained two student from Alabama over the alleged attack, which police said took place last month on Florida’s Panama City Beach, during spring break celebrations. The police officer investigating the incident said video footage of the alleged rape was the “most disgusting, sickening thing”, he had ever seen.

“Within 10 feet from where this is happening there are hundreds, hundreds of people standing there watching, looking, seeing, hearing what is going on, and yet our culture and our society and our young people have got to the point where obviously this is acceptable somewhere, but I will tell you it is not acceptable in Bay County,” Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen told reporters.

Police said they believed the incident happened sometime between March 10-12 and that it was not reported, despite large numbers of people having apparently witnessed what happened. They speculated that the woman who was assaulted, said to have been aged 19, may have been drugged. She told them she did not remember the incident.

Police said they only became aware of the incident when they came across the video footage while investigating a shooting incident, not related to the alleged rape, the Associated Press said. Reports said that two students from Alabama’s Troy University had been charged over the incident and that further arrests were anticipated. Student Ryan Calhoun, 23, and Delonte’ Martistee, 22, were charged with sexual battery by multiple perpetrators, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.

He said: "This is happening in broad daylight with hundreds of people seeing and hearing what is happening and they are more concerned about spilling their beer than somebody being raped."

The people who were filming and not doing anything are also in the wrong. It's pretty sad.

Video of news story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmcTw2YAwAk

I suspect it wasn't that they were worried about spilling their beer. If there are literally hundreds of people all doing the same thing, one would imagine it's a larger, sociological effect causing their inaction rather than a fear of spilling beer.

maxcriden

I suspect it wasn't that they were worried about spilling their beer. If there are literally hundreds of people all doing the same thing, one would imagine it's a larger, sociological effect causing their inaction rather than a fear of spilling beer.

I think the police officer was just being colloquial and is making the same point you are.

Isn't it a wonderful age we live in where we would rather film and watch as people are hurt instead of doing something about it? I mean yeah I understand the hesitation to jump in there and go all Batman on their ass but good lord at least call 911.

commedieu

Banned
Bystander effect.

Also, if the woman was unconscious and not making a scene, people might not really have known what was going on?

I haven't watched the video so I'm not sure if it's obvious what is going on, though, but since the articles says she doesn't remember the incident I guess she was really out of it.

The video is just showing black people standing around on a packed beach.

Coolluck

Isn't it a wonderful age we live in where we would rather film and watch as people are hurt instead of doing something about it? I mean yeah I understand the hesitation to jump in there and go all Batman on their ass but good lord at least call 911.

Wasn't that how part of an episode of Black Mirror went?

Keri

My first thought hearing this story, is that there must have been confusion over consent, for the rape to have been ignored, but the video posted in the OP states that the woman was passed out. There shouldn't have been any confusion, if she was unconscious. God damn.

Somnid

If there were people in public having sex I probably wouldn't scrutinize how consensual it was but rather figure out how to ignore it. So if it's a non-violent rape this makes complete sense even without a bystander effect. I supposed it could be reported in the grounds of indecent exposure but if it's a student-centric area that doesn't surprise me either.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
He said: "This is happening in broad daylight with hundreds of people seeing and hearing what is happening and they are more concerned about spilling their beer than somebody being raped."

Maybe they were too afraid of having it spill on somebody else, leading them to be charged with assault.
/s

On a side note, it's odd that so many stories of horrific acts in the US seem to get picked up by the Independent in the UK.

Little mini Darren Sharpers. Disgusting.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You should read about Kitty Genovese

In September 2007, the American Psychologist published an examination of the factual basis of coverage of the Kitty Genovese murder in psychology textbooks. The three authors concluded that the story is more parable than fact, largely because of inaccurate newspaper coverage at the time of the incident. According to the authors, "despite this absence of evidence, the story continues to inhabit our introductory social psychology textbooks (and thus the minds of future social psychologists)." One interpretation of the parable is that the drama and ease of teaching the exaggerated story make it easier for professors to capture student attention and interest.

No misrepresentations in an era of video though. My stomach heaved a little as I watched that one.

This has been studied. It's called the bystander effect.

I dont even think it's this.

I think no one even thought she was getting raped. Which is even scarier.

My first thought hearing this story, is that there must have been confusion over consent, for the rape to have been ignored, but the video posted in the OP states that the woman was passed out. There shouldn't have been any confusion, if she was unconscious. God damn.

Oh. I wonder if these people still didn't register this as rape in their head. I can't imagine someone looking at this scene, saying "hey, is she awake? Is she getting raped?" and not doing something about it.

Bogey

Banned
Sounds so crazy that I feel some piece may be missing from what's been in that news story.

For a start, if she was really unconscious - not moving at all, her body being completely limp - I can't imagine people wouldn't realize this. In which case it seems just very unlikely none of the bystanders did or said anything at all, or just called police during or afterwards.

Also, what happened after the rape - Did they just leave a seemingly lifeless body lying on the beach and nobody at all went to check on her? Or did the rapists carry her numb body off beach - and again, nobody said or did anything at all? This both sounds even more unlikely than nobody interacting during the actual rape.

So the only way I could imagine this was if she wasn't literally unconscious, but rather either really crazy drunk, or drugged (isn't there supposedly this rape drug where people remain fully conscious, but become somewhat will-less). In that case, it may not have been clear to bystanders what was actually happening.

Quite impossible to tell without seeing the video (which I hope they won't release...), but I simply cannot imagine not a single one out of hundreds of people didn't do anything at all, if this had actually been clearly recognizable as rape. My faith in humanity isn't huge, but it's at least big enough to assume that.

Ugh. I can't wrap my head around this. 1 phone call is all it takes. 1.

It would take more than a phone call: the crowds at PCB are staggering and most of the people aren't from town. The attack would most likely be over before police could get there (If they ever arrived).

If you wanted to ensure that it stopped, you'd have to get directly involved and that can be a dangerous proposition. Stabbings aren't uncommon at PCB and things can go from bad to worse quickly in a sea of drunken people. I'm not defending inaction but people need to realize that it's not just a matter of saying 'Stop, sir...'.

Police need to step up their presence on the beach in order to have any hope of stopping these kinds of attacks.

I'm confused somewhat. Were those girls that were standing covering for these fools, or were they oblivious to the sounds of distress coming from this poor child?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Considering how many bystander effect stories we have, it's funny to consider that most people who say others are "disgusting" for doing nothing in these situations would statistically do nothing either.

That's some fucked up shit, though.

Zaptruder

Banned
Considering how many bystander effect stories we have, it's funny to consider that most people who say others are "disgusting" for doing nothing in these situations would statistically do nothing either.

That's some fucked up shit, though.

Hindsight bias yo.

"Bad thing happen, I think of myself as a person that would stop bad things, so because you didn't, you're morally inferior to me!"

If she was drugged wouldn't it just look like they're having sex on the beach? probably why people wouldn't interfere because thats really awkward? Not watching the video so not sure how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom