• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<<TWO DAY VOTE-OFF - HALO CE vs HALO 3>> "Favourites" thread #10.5 (Faceoff Poll)

Which'll it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tschumi

Well this is fun, in my latest "Favourites" thread Halo CE and Halo 3 are both tied on 19 votes each!

So we gotta have us a faceoff!

animation.gif

Don't like either of them? So vote on whether you think "Combat Evolved" or "3" looks better as a collection of pixels.

I'll close this thread in two days!

...stay tuned for Konami, time for MGS to throw down!...

Last edited:
Halo CE was honestly one of the most amazing games back on release and I couldn’t put it down. Now, it’s still good but it’s been surpassed and my memories of the game cloud my judgment.

Halo 3 is far better than CE. The fights with the Scarabs are still absolutely mental and in coop it’s just an amazing experience. Multiplayer Halo 3 is GOAT level and still the best it has ever been. One of the best games ever, I still play it regularly.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Halo CE was originally meant to be open world with day and night cycles, wildlife and RPG elements, and then most of it was scrapped. Halo Infinite is heavily inspired with this original vision of Halo CE. CE also allowed a lot more backtracking than later games which were more restricted.

Woffls

CE doesn’t hold up. Let it goooo

Scarabs in 3 are a legit series highlight; drive off a crane onto that shit my dudes.

Tschumi

CE doesn’t hold up. Let it goooo

Scarabs in 3 are a legit series highlight; drive off a crane onto that shit my dudes.
I'll be the first to say Halo is a pretty bad game played solo, it was great because of its co-op, which is why it redefined console shooters imo, which is the kind of thing that would be taken into account.. as a counterbalance to scarabs for instance...

I couldn't stand playing through halo ce again without someone to play it with

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
4540948-C-8-DA6-4091-918-D-9-C5-D428-FCE6-E.png

Halo: Combat Evolved was a third person shooter during its early development stages. I remember having more memories with Combat Evolved. Halo 3 looked and played well, but it wasn’t at that Halo 2 point for me. I probably should have played more Halo 3 multiplayer at the time. Combat Evolved may have been slow at times, but it built atmosphere and made you hunt down the enemy from large distances. Not too many games get away with that now a days.

Combat Evolved had some very good multiplayer.

Battle Creek

BAFC7-EF3-A1-F3-4-BB4-80-E4-3-C377572-CC58.jpg

Prisoner

E6-B0736-D-7-EC3-46-B7-9-C1-B-0-D7-AB8983-B14.webp

Single player had some awesome levels too

The Silent Cartographer

22-A7447-B-B563-4734-8456-1954-EFA28059.webp

Assault on the Control Room

1174-A13-A-B309-4-B21-8919-0188875-C1-BC4.webp

Kuranghi

I'm biased because my Halo 3 first playthrough had all these weird bugs and it really marred the experience. I think I prefer 2 over 3 as well, but I haven't played them in a long time to properly compare or discuss it.

I really want to replay Halo 3 on PC but I wanted to play in order and I'm still waiting for Halo CE to be fully restored to at least og Xbox quality, could be a while. They fixed so much recently but there were some big issues still that I'd prefer to wait for, I don't even care about any sort of upgrades (I think the retexturing is horrible and would play with that off) I just want it to be like it was back then.

Tschumi

Well it's looking like Combat Evolved is gonna take it!

4540948-C-8-DA6-4091-918-D-9-C5-D428-FCE6-E.png

Halo: Combat Evolved was a third person shooter during its early development stages. I remember having more memories with Combat Evolved. Halo 3 looked and played well, but it wasn’t at that Halo 2 point for me. I probably should have played more Halo 3 multiplayer at the time. Combat Evolved may have been slow at times, but it built atmosphere and made you hunt down the enemy from large distances. Not too many games get away with that now a days.

Combat Evolved had some very good multiplayer.

Battle Creek

BAFC7-EF3-A1-F3-4-BB4-80-E4-3-C377572-CC58.jpg

Prisoner

E6-B0736-D-7-EC3-46-B7-9-C1-B-0-D7-AB8983-B14.webp

Single player had some awesome levels too

The Silent Cartographer

22-A7447-B-B563-4734-8456-1954-EFA28059.webp

Assault on the Control Room

1174-A13-A-B309-4-B21-8919-0188875-C1-BC4.webp
i'm surprised your level screenshots didn't have blood gulch or two betrayals :p my favourites

Tschumi

Replayed the MCC earlier this year and was really impressed by CE. They did an amazing job for the first title.
i know this is pretty pointless to say but if you can manage to play it on the couch with a buddy it's 10x more fun/impressive, imo

SZips

Still sticking with my initial vote: Halo 3.

Enjoyed both the campaign and multiplayer far, far more than Halo CE.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well it's looking like Combat Evolved is gonna take it!

i'm surprised your level screenshots didn't have blood gulch or two betrayals :p my favourites
Blood Gultch was a good sniping and tank level. The Longest and the Wizard maps were also good. Boarding Action would probably be my least favorite, but that’s still a good sized list of good maps. Some I didn’t even mention. Battle Creek was so iconic due to its size. I’d say Blood Gulch wasn’t mentioned just cause 1v1 took time to really get good. It took some time just to run from one base to another.

I imagine CE was super great for its time but as someone who played all the Halos for the first time in the past 12 months, Halo 3 is obviously better.

Handel

Halo 3 is the whole package, whereas CE was just a solid foundation for the games to come. 3 and Reach are the neck and neck favorites, and with only one of them present the choice is easy.

Halo was unmatched at its time of release but part 3 was pretty much a much more refined game in a lot of ways
I disagree somewhat, even though I feel Halo CE was a more impactful game on release, Halo 3 set a new benchmark for what features are included in a Halo game ( or any game really).

Zannegan

Oof. Tough call.

Halo 3 has the better multiplayer, but CE has the better campaign. I honestly don't know which way to go on this one.

Zannegan

Every multiplayer game has multiplayer, only halo ce has halo ce's campaign. 🧠
And it's even more awesome in splitscreen.

On the other hand, I had some amazing times with Halo 3's multiplayer--some of the best gaming in some of my freest gaming years bar none.

Deadlocked in my affections, I'm afraid. I think I'll have to sit this one out.

Tschumi

And it's even more awesome in splitscreen.

On the other hand, I had some amazing times with Halo 3's multiplayer--some of the best gaming in some of my freest gaming years bar none.

Deadlocked in my affections, I'm afraid. I think I'll have to sit this one out.
Fair enough. Best thing to do i guess.

For what it's worth Faust Faust voted for CE that's my last roll of the dice I'll just leave it out there :p

Vagswarm

i know this is pretty pointless to say but if you can manage to play it on the couch with a buddy it's 10x more fun/impressive, imo
Oh yeah, we used to do that back in the day. And a lot of split screen multiplayer. Great times for sure. Nowadays it's just me on the PC, lol.

But the entire MCC more than held its own against other PC shooters that were released throughout the years. Much preferred it with a mouse & keyboard over the controller (own the MCC on Xbox One as well).

Last edited:

Tschumi

Oh yeah, we used to do that back in the day. And a lot of split screen multiplayer. Great times for sure. Nowadays it's just me on the PC, lol.

But the entire MCC more than held its own against other PC shooters that were released throughout the years. Much preferred it with a mouse & keyboard over the controller (own the MCC on Xbox One as well).
I do too, though i always felt there was something strange about it, then learned earlier this year that they had turned off a lot of the graphical features.. glad they're coming back

Tschumi

Wow, this was real close. I figured CE would win by a greater amount because it was first (and damn good).
Totally jazzed by how this turned out, I'm dithering on the konami thread because i don't know how to fit all their great games in it..

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Halo CE was to me as a PS2 owner walking into GAME and seeing and hearing the title music and front end on their tv's and handing over my cash there and then for the OG XBOX.

And I'd gone in to buy a PS2 game!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom