• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two months without consoles

MikeM

Buyijg a gaming laptop from Costco/Sam’s club where the return policy is good. Return when done.

I personally would not do that but I know others who have.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I didn’t pack the Switch Lite. It’s smaller and easier to use on an airplane.
Ah ok. Missed that part.

I think Switch Lite is too small. Even though it's a bit bigger I just carry the OLED Switch with me. I also carry the Genki covert dock and a pro controller with me so I can hook it up to the TV in whatever hotel I'm in if I want to play on a larger screen.

Topher

Gold Member
I would imagine every person could do it if they had to.

I don't know. Some of these guys....

family guy help GIF
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Holy shit and they have a MacOS app too. Subbed.
Yeah it works really well. Well enough that I’ve had no issues playing stuff like Enlisted and Insurgency online.

You need to go into the settings on the app and change the resolution/frame rate to 1600p/120

If you hit CMD+G you can also pull up stats for the game fps, stream fps, and latency.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I would get a Retroid pocket 3 or an Anbernic. Always good retro shit you missed back in the day. They have TV outputs too.

nocsi

I'm in the process of moving and due to some travel I have to do over the next six weeks, it meant I had to pack up my PS5, XSX, gaming PC, and OLED Switch today. I probably won't be in my new house until the end of November, which means I'm facing two months without consoles.

All I'll have is my MBP (with a paired XSX controller), iPad, and a Switch Lite for the next two months.

As all my Switch games are packed away in storage, I could only carry 8 in my Switch Lite case (not counting my digital library where I have stuff like Bayo, Mario/Rabbids, all the MH games, and Panic Button's amazing ports):
BOTW
Mario Kart
Dread
Splatoon 3
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade 1
Pokemon Sword
Live A Live

I can play Cloud gaming great on the MBP, so if anything hits GamePass and streaming I can play that. And I will be able to play the Dragonflight pre-patch as well as LoL.

But I won't be able to play COD, Ragnarok, or any of the big console games until Thanksgiving week at the very earliest, or even into December.

So GAF, would you be able to do without high-end consoles or PC gaming during the biggest time of the year for releases?
If your MBP is Apple Silicon then you have Citra and AetherSX. There's also FF14 on Mac @ 60fps, great project

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have a Steam Deck so I'd be fine. But even without it, so long as one has a screen to stream to, a controller to pair with it, and a decent internet connection, they're golden Ponyboy.

OuterLimits

I'm confused why many of your Switch games are in storage? A small case would hold a bunch of them.

However, since you have significant amount of digital games, that seems more than adequate for just 2 months.

EDMIX

I'm in the process of moving and due to some travel I have to do over the next six weeks, it meant I had to pack up my PS5, XSX, gaming PC, and OLED Switch today. I probably won't be in my new house until the end of November, which means I'm facing two months without consoles.

All I'll have is my MBP (with a paired XSX controller), iPad, and a Switch Lite for the next two months.

As all my Switch games are packed away in storage, I could only carry 8 in my Switch Lite case (not counting my digital library where I have stuff like Bayo, Mario/Rabbids, all the MH games, and Panic Button's amazing ports):
BOTW
Mario Kart
Dread
Splatoon 3
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade 1
Pokemon Sword
Live A Live

I can play Cloud gaming great on the MBP, so if anything hits GamePass and streaming I can play that. And I will be able to play the Dragonflight pre-patch as well as LoL.

But I won't be able to play COD, Ragnarok, or any of the big console games until Thanksgiving week at the very earliest, or even into December.

So GAF, would you be able to do without high-end consoles or PC gaming during the biggest time of the year for releases?

First off, congratulations!

Second off....yes, yes I would be able to go 2 months with no gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love gaming, but many times if I have a project, business, school etc I'll put off gaming to get those things done, then celebrate and treat myself when the time comes lol

I did when I started my first business, second business, got a degree in school etc and I'll do it yet again when Spring semester is over or when I get a masters or some shit lol Its ok to take time to life shit.

Gaming is part of my life, how ever for it to remain a part of my life, I need to take time to obtain life goals in the first place, I'd love more then anything then to buy all the top games coming this fall, spring, but all that would do is keep me in the same position in life, ironically leading me to have less time to even enjoy them.

Its ok to take that time off for life things, life happens Mana and congratulations again on the home!

ManaByte

Almost to the halfway point and so far Gamepass has been the clear victor here. Even on super shitty hotel WiFi where GeForce Now won't even launch a game, Gamepass has been almost flawless. I've been playing Persona 5, Plague Tale, Fortnite, Infite, SoT, etc streaming on my MBP. Yes there's a small bit of latency that I had to adjust to after being used to the 120hz response time at home, but they're fully playable and I just completed the Infinite event battle pass today.

BOTW
Mario Kart
Dread
Splatoon 3
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade 1
Pokemon Sword
Live A Live

If I was relying on COD for any kind of fix…yes I would be fine personally. God of War is also just okay to me. I mean, it’s good, but I could wait on it. You have some solid games for Switch, and cloud gaming is fine. I really don’t believe any game these days is necessary to get right away. With the way stuff is patched, you are probably even better off waiting a little while.
Again, just my personal opinion on it (coming from a guy who is getting Star Ocean day one), so definitely take my opinion with a grain of salt lol

Orbital2060

Two months? Hah - try 6 months like Ive just been through. And still am. Cant even play the Diablo IV beta atm 😓

Last edited:

ManaByte

I still won't have my PS5 or XSX for another two weeks, but I got in my new house yesterday so I picked up a cheap XSS to be the upstairs console so I'm starting to get caught up on at least the non-Game Pass Xbox releases over October though now.

I really like Sonic Frontiers a lot.
I'm not too far into Callisto Protocol but I don't think it's the disaster the hyperbole is claiming.
Gotham Knights isn't terrible.
MWII is god-like.

I also think it's kind of insane that you can buy a console for like $250 right now and play the next-gen Call of Duty on it.

Dynasty8

I still won't have my PS5 or XSX for another two weeks, but I got in my new house yesterday so I picked up a cheap XSS to be the upstairs console so I'm starting to get caught up on at least the non-Game Pass Xbox releases over October though now.

I really like Sonic Frontiers a lot.
I'm not too far into Callisto Protocol but I don't think it's the disaster the hyperbole is claiming.
Gotham Knights isn't terrible.
MWII is god-like.

I also think it's kind of insane that you can buy a console for like $250 right now and play the next-gen Call of Duty on it.

It's always a good thing going on a gaming hiatus/break for a couple months (even if it's not intentional). You end up enjoying and appreciating it more when you get back.

And congrats on the new house. 👍

Trilobit

If you don't have The Long Dark already on the Switch it's pretty sweet to play under a blanket on the couch. There's also Touryst and Inside. Will keep you occupied for some time.

Top Bottom