• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two more Next Gen Games from Chinese and South Korean studios showing Western devs how it's done.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Black Myth Wukong and Crimson Desert were no anomalies. Two more games from these no-name Asian studios were revealed recently, and they look a gen ahead of pretty much every game released by Western and even Japanese studios so far this gen.

Both games look absolutely spectacular.

rI2lUSl.gif

E4HaJt9.gif

Er2hxjC.gif

The DokeV trailer shows a very lived in city with lots of NPCs going about their lives. It feels alive in a way cyberpunk, watch dogs, and even rdr2 did not.

It's just shocking that while AAA western and Japanese studios are stuck making cross gen games, these mobile devs are out there able to get visuals like this on their first ever AAA game.

Keihart

First time seeing Honor of Kings, this game looks way better then that Notics May Cry and Totally not Bayonetta games that got shown not long ago.
DokeV looks amazing, i was floored when the trailer was shown, i wonder if this games are gonna live up to what they've shown, at least Dokevi's dev seems to have a lot of experience already.

Edit:

SlimySnake SlimySnake BTW OP, DokeV is not from a no name dev, the studio is Pearl Abyss the same ones from Black Dessert, you might also remember the trailer for Crimsom Dessert not long ago which is also supossed to be singler player like DokeV and looks like a spiritual sequel to Dragons Dogman to me.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Black Myth Wukong and Crimson Desert were no anomalies. Two more games from these no-name Asian studios were revealed recently, and they look a gen ahead of pretty much every game released by Western and even Japanese studios so far this gen.

Both games look absolutely spectacular.

rI2lUSl.gif

E4HaJt9.gif

Er2hxjC.gif

The DokeV trailer shows a very lived in city with lots of NPCs going about their lives. It feels alive in a way cyberpunk, watch dogs, and even rdr2 did not.

It's just shocking that while AAA western and Japanese studios are stuck making cross gen games, these mobile devs are out there able to get visuals like this on their first ever AAA game.

When the game is at the hands of gamers and actually runs like that then I'll be impressed.

Cyberpunk 2077 should be a lesson to never trust video footage alone.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't know if they appear "a gen ahead" than anything else out there - they look very nice in some ways, yes. But I caution you to wait for the final product. I think we've all been doing this annual dance long enough now to never trust trailers years ahead of a release.

carlosrox

Banned
Dokev does look crazy but I need to know if that's just a vertical slice or not before I commit to any radical opinions on it.

Soosa

Banned
I wonder if they archieve this by having pure talent (easier to find 1000 super talented person from 1 billion people vs 5 million(small eu countries)), or by pure brute force aka easier to make huge and good looking games by paying 1/100th of what devs get paid on western studios and having so many people doing it that it goes fast?

Still kind of surreal how "never heard" studios make these games, but I guess they could be really famous studios in their area

Whatever it is, that dokev looks really interesting and "gamey like" aka they are just doing a game, not some real life simulator with real life limits and influence. Definetly going to get it if it is as good at it seems to be

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I wonder if they archieve this by having pure talent (easier to find 1000 super talented person from 1 billion people vs 5 million(small eu countries)), or by pure brute force aka easier to make huge and good looking games by paying 1/100th of what devs get paid on western studios and having so many people doing it that it goes fast?

Still kind of surreal how "never heard" studios make these games, but I guess they could be really famous studios in their area

Whatever it is, that dokev looks really interesting and "gamey like" aka they are just doing a game, not some real life simulator with real life limits and influence. Definetly going to get it if it is as good at it seems to be
I'm not going to claim to know much about any of these games, but I don't get good vibes. Feelings of vaporware or broken dreams. What they've shown looks nice though.

Dokev looks like a mash up of Nintendo games plus Yokai watch. Since the dev makes online games, we know how the game works before.

Chinese games looks like chinese monster hunter. I wonder how it's going to work since Chinese devs can only promote chinese history in games. Unless it's Taiwanese.

tommib

So, China IS good now?

It's a shame they'll only be able to play ten minutes of their own game before big daddy state tells them it's bedtime or some shite.
Word. Everyone's constantly pointing fingers at China because of their anti-gamer culture and laws in this forum (and saying how good we have it in the west) but the moment we see some Chinese generic-looking high-polygon SUPER VGA "next-gen" games we go, yeah, that's how it's done West, hope China takes over! GTFO with this bullshit.

Last edited:

Duchess

It's probably pre-rendered fake shit anyway.
When I saw these a few days back, people were of the opinion that these are "in-engine" demos.

Edit: which basically means not to expect the actual game to match these visuals.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Word. Everyone's constantly pointing fingers at China because of their anti-gamer culture and laws in this forum (and saying how good we have it in the west) but the moment we see some Chinese generic looking high-polygon SUPER VGA "next-gen" games we go, yeah, that's how it's done West, hope China takes over! GTFO with this bullshit.
Exactly.

....Better dead than red!

But with our governments latest army recruitment drive I think that might have to be the case, so with that in mind, I prefer Oak over Mahogany :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wildebeest

Honor of Kings is one of the biggest game franchises on earth. It doesn't have much presence outside of China, but it is not accurate to say that the name is coming from nowhere.

UnNamed

Banned
They look impressing because they're nothing more than a tech demo video roll for now. It's not different from any CGI trailer.
Not (entirely) true.

If you use UE4 or other modern engine, you already have phisics, motion, control, illumination and some AI in your demo. The only thing you have to do is a proper AI, new routines, the level and game design. And the graphics of course.

They probably faked the sense of immersion and made some animation like it is something you can actually do in the final game, but in the end there is still a code under this products.
The only thing left is figure out what hardware developers used to run this trailer.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Im guessing being Korea that PC is huge and consoles not so much so they can really aim for a higher spec

Dumbass Western devs still making last gen games when history has shown last gen console software sales always fall off dramatically when a new gen starts

oldergamer

These studios are all owned by Tencent no? What was the deal ms signed with them recently? Could they be bringing these games to console?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom