• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two more Next Gen Games from Chinese and South Korean studios showing Western devs how it's done.

Kacho

Gold Member
I can’t imagine caring about games on such a superficial level. Who cares how “next gen” something looks when we have no idea if the games are actually fun to play?

Isa

I'm personally not into CCP backed stuff, but I do really like South Korean games. And especially art design. They know what's up. However I've learned long ago that I'll be waiting decades at least to be able to play a game from there that wowed me once. And forget about getting sequels to games I loved, ala Kingdom Under Fire and Ninety Nine Nights 1&2. Or Magna Carta. Lineage 2 . They are masters at attractive characters and great graphics even on old engines, but man getting things out in a timely manner, that isn't bogged down in extreme MTX is also another problem.

I do agree that the east seems better at project speed and ambitious gameplay design, not that I hate the west or anything but apart from indies most seem to be far too content to just rehash several generations old design and piggyback off of others success. The sad thing is Western devs did have their limelight but most gamers didn't give a damn and didn't support more niche products that require a modicum of though to play. Also a problem with games releasing with a plethora of bugs and piss-poor marketing. So much f-n money blown on marketing here as opposed to releasing a quality product. It really is a sad state of the industry at times.

tommib

But thats precisely the point and what everyone seems to be missing. The games by CHinese and Korean studios are already at the stage where they are actual games with gameplay. Meanwhile western studios who have announced next gen games are still hiring CG studios to do CG trailers because they have nothing to fucking show. That means at best they are behind these Chinese studios when it comes to next gen games development. It's shocking and a black eye to everyone involved in the industry to be getting outclassed by mobile devs whose only talent is ripping off code and art from western and japanese studios.
What are you on about? Western and Japanese devs have already delivered the most current cutting-edge graphical technology with Flight Sim, Forza 5, Returnal, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank. All of these WHICH HAVE BEEN RELEASED put to shame any of these potential vaporware games presented as cgi mixed with in-engine graphics.

That Pokémon rip-off is shown running at a super messy frame-rate. God knows how many downgrades it will suffer before being released.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Chinese devs can go suck one. Whether they like it or not, they are under the CCP.

I have no moral issue with buying games from Korean devs, but they don't have a good reputation for good coding or originality (and please don't someone mention K-drama - it's cheesy shit (and if you like that, that's fine)).
If I like a game I have no problem buying it. Most Chinese people have zero control over their government. I grew up watching Shaw Bros. films my whole childhood. Its not like it would be the first time I got a product from China. People can spend their money how they want but personally I think its a hollow gesture since everyone buys tons of stuff made in China already.

Last edited:

Aenima

These games are going to be generic and mediocre. China hasn’t really made a great game yet.
Try Genshin Impact. Better than alot full priced games out there.

I have really high hopes for Black Myth, but gotta wait to see if it will be available on console and how it will run before getting too excited. Game looks crazy good.

Last edited:
Honest to god some of you are so naive. That doko game looks a fucking mess. People just get hard over shiny graphics? Can we just wait until they come out?

What is it with people spouting hyperbolic nonsense these days.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not sure what is being dunked on here in regards to Western for Asian developers. We've seen zero hands on demos from the majority of games listed in this thread (not sure about Crimson Desert as that's been so long ago, relatively speaking). With the creative talent and tools that exist in the world today, I think it's far easier to make a good looking game than a good game.

CamHostage

For whats it's worth dokev isn't using ue5, it's their own engine and seems to be tailored to the games they are making.

It is a new engine that they've been working on since before 2019. (This "Project V" that became DokeV was announced that year, and there was even a teaser image for it, so probably the engine was pretty mature already for them to have a project carved out for the announcement and a trailer released a short bit later.)

Still, I would imagine a lot of plug-ins and apps are included. Like, probably a current or advanced version of the middleware tools YEBIS and Enlighten is likely powering its post-processing and global illumination (it's got that identifiable Silicon Studio sheen to it, even in the preview trailer,) and maybe Havok again for the physics.

Pearly Abyss use their tech toolbox really well (Black Desert Online still looks nice, and that goes a way back, depending on when you mark it as "released" and when upgrades came in,) and their proprietary engine tech is made to make the most of services it employs, so expect very impressive things even if it is partly software "off the shelf".

They're vague this early on as far as what this new engine behind DokeV is capable of (it also powers "Project K", which I believe is Plan 8.) It could be a "next-gen" engine, depending on how you term it (it would for sure be a next-gen engine if it could only work on PS5/XSS|X, but there's not much an engine could do yet to put that kind of distance in), but they've also not been clear on their platform plans, and some have listed both DokeV and Plan 8 for PS4/X1 as well as current-gen platforms.

(I personally could see it being cross-gen, there's an asset density on both that's really advanced but it's in line with what they would be doing with a follow-up engine to Black Desert Engine even if next-gen consoles weren't out; also, Pearl Abyss have said that they want DokeV to work on affordable-spec'ed hardware even though they're going for a cutting-edge look, so quite possibly the end target min specs wouldn't be considered "next-gen caliber" even if the past-gen consoles aren't included in the release slate by the time the game is done.)

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Chinese devs can go suck one. Whether they like it or not, they are under the CCP.

I have no moral issue with buying games from Korean devs, but they don't have a good reputation for good coding or originality (and please don't someone mention K-drama - it's cheesy shit (and if you like that, that's fine)).
Man why is game from Asia gets rash reaction here

What kind of CCP influence you saw in Genshin Impact or Black Myth Wukong? Really ? You gona brand every game from china like that?

Swear some of you guys are borderline racist

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
These games are going to be generic and mediocre. China hasn’t really made a great game yet.
If u dont let people learn and grow then how are you suppose/ expect something amazing coming from them?

Everyone start from zero man

Even people lke steve jobs or bill gates start from junkyard

No developer can sudendly pop up and produce aaa ip on their first try

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
What are you on about? Western and Japanese devs have already delivered the most current cutting-edge graphical technology with Flight Sim, Forza 5, Returnal, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank. All of these WHICH HAVE BEEN RELEASED put to shame any of these potential vaporware games presented as cgi mixed with in-engine graphics.

That Pokémon rip-off is shown running at a super messy frame-rate. God knows how many downgrades it will suffer before being released.
Again youre comparing a well known developer producing the same series for years like turn 10, insomniac bluepoint etc with new untested developer

Seriously some of you guys need to back it off and give them room to breathe

You can judge when the game is ready

I mean hey..im kinda sick with the same assasins creed, fifa and cod ( Vanguard this year?)..lets try something new ok...peace...

Last edited:
DokeV will probably disappoint you. Since it’s not coming out anytime soon. If it does, it will not look anything like that.

That other game’s gameplay wasnt real. It’s more concept, then even a demo.

tommib

Again youre comparing a well known developer producing the same series for years like turn 10, insomniac bluepoint etc with new untested developer

Seriously some of you guys need to back it off and give them room to breathe

You can judge when the game is ready

I mean hey..im kinda sick with the same assasins creed, fifa and cod ( Vanguard this year?)..lets try something new ok...peace...
Sure but I wasn’t the one starting a thread with “Chinese devs are putting western devs to shame” with a couple of vaporware videos. It’s a pretty insulting thread. The future isn’t even in graphics as we can see from devs like puppet combo or even Nintendo with their old hardware. It’s about style not graphical horsepower. And no amount of cheap labour by the millions buys style, taste and creativity.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
They will look good for the first 5 hours and then you will think "damn this shit is generic" sword and fairy 7 looks amazing, fell asleep like 1 hour later .
Sword-Fairy-7_07-28-21.jpg

Last edited:

tommib

If u dont let people learn and grow then how are you suppose/ expect something amazing coming from them?

Racist? WTF? GAF loves Japanese games because they have a 40-year old videogame culture that worships the medium and has constantly delivered some of the most creative titles ever made. The titles mentioned in this thread all come off as cynical and free to play cash-grabbing riffs on cemented concepts developed by Japanese and Western devs.

We’re all open to whatever new region builds games but again why the hyperbole and the attempt to shame current devs that have delivered with YouTube videos of games that no one has played.

Western devs have learned not to show their games before they are far along in development or they will get shit for "downgrading". Either way, I think it's cool that Asia is becoming a bigger player in game development.
Western Devs have just gotten smarter about controlling the perception that they're not downgrading. They still do it. The initial trailers and demos still almost always look better than the actual games. It's just now the final product is closer, unlike in the past where the differences were too big to ignore. Last of Us 2 comes to mind. Even recently I could swear that forza horizons initial demo looks more impressive.

I know...im not against them making games...but the post is saying showing how western developers how its done as if we havent been the pinnacle of game design for generations.

Notabueno

Banned
When it comes to asian games (outside of japan), it's very likely they're still learning the mistakes of over-advertising and lying with shit pre-rendered trailer until it blows back in their faces...

...Or it's possible that western companies are so ruined by investors leeches scums, by degenerate micro-management, and led by consanguinous bachelor impostors, that we don't know how to use the tech and do the fucking jobs anymore.

And by experience, I'd wager for the latter scenario...

Herr Edgy

Isn’t that a good thing though? That proves that it’s real gameplay.

Everyone is here saying it’s fake but if it was prerendered the FPS would’ve been rock solid
Performance is a bad metric here. For all you know, their "real gameplay" is running on a 10k$ machine, something that is ahead of the PS6 and whatever XBox is naming their next console, yet still runs at a bad framerate.
The only thing "real gameplay" would indicate that it's a playable build as opposed to a trailer that was made to look like a game. In one case there is an actual game, prerendered or not, in the other just a marketing ploy to make you think something exists that doesn't (yet).
For the same reason games keep on being downgraded. Earlier footage is unoptimized (=visually better looking typically), later footage is optimized for lower end target platforms. Which means downgraded. The real magic is to keep the quality loss at a minimum while achieving target performance, but that's what it is in the end.

Last edited:

Tams

If I like a game I have no problem buying it. Most Chinese people have zero control over their government. I grew up watching Shaw Bros. films my whole childhood. Its not like it would be the first time I got a product from China. People can spend their money how they want but personally I think its a hollow gesture since everyone buys tons of stuff made in China already.
It's not a hollow gesture if you try and limit your use of products of such a regime. What's stupid is to try and completely avoid such products in this world. Unlike your argument that the Chinese people have little control over their rulers, this is actually something we have little control over.

And the people absolutely bear some responsibility. If they really cared they'd have done something about their despotic government. I understand why they haven't since Tiananmen, but they do bear it. Hell, that Hong Kong struggled just shows how little they care.

Anyway, the game looks bland, boring, CGI, and may never come out.

If you think Pearl Abyss games are gonna come out looking as advertised, you're going to have a bad time.

These guys lie through their teeth and I have ZERO FAITH any of their upcoming games will look ANYWHERE close to the trailers.

Kumomeme

until it actually released, better not put any conclusion unless they has solid track record backing this.

in previous years we has tons of amazing looking game footage that end up downgraded or doesnt look same as gameplay video/trailer when launched.

the real question is, will it retain same fidelity when actually launched?

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
The thing is that many of these games end up becoming vapor ware, or look no where as good as the pre release vids. Ill eat my hat if black myth wukong comes out and looks as good as it does in the trailers

Top Bottom