• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft’s Division, Avatar and Star Wars studio boss confirms resignation

kingfey

Banned

The former managing director of Massive Entertainment, David Polfeldt, has handed in his resignation and will leave the company permanently.

That’s according to a new profile published in Nathan Brown’s Hit Points newsletter, which claims that the 17-year company veteran submitted his resignation at the start of this year and is currently working his six-month notice period.

Polfeldt announced his decision to step down from his role as MD last year and was originally planning to return in a new strategic role following a six-month sabbatical. He now reportedly plans to go “wherever the wind takes me”.

Malmö, Sweden-based Massive is the developer behind The Division, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and Ubisoft’s recently announced Star Wars game.

While Montreal has long been Ubisoft’s flagship studio, Massive has grown in prominence significantly over the past decade, as can be seen in the decision to entrust it with two of the biggest licences around in Avatar and Star Wars.

Speaking to Hit Points, Polfeldt suggested that the studio’s significant growth – it now numbers over 750 people – was one of the motivations behind his decision not to return.

“I think my philosophy and my skills work well for a certain kind of group of a certain kind of size,” he said. “I don’t think I’m the right manager for what the studio has become. I’m perfectly at peace with it.”

Ubisoft released the first Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora trailer and confirmed fresh gameplay details last summer. Set for release before April 2023, the game is a first-person, open-world action-adventure for Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 5, PC, Stadia and Luna.

Masssive is also working on The Division Heartland. Described as “a standalone experience” that will provide “an all new perspective on the universe in a new setting”.

During an earnings call last year, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said Massive’s “groundbreaking” open-world Star Wars game is in the “early stage of development”, suggesting its release is still several years away.

Speaking to Hit Points, Polfeldt suggested that the studio’s significant growth – it now numbers over 750 people – was one of the motivations behind his decision not to return.

“I think my philosophy and my skills work well for a certain kind of group of a certain kind of size,” he said. “I don’t think I’m the right manager for what the studio has become. I’m perfectly at peace with it.”

Poor lad, he stayed long enough to learn to hate working in the the one place he loved.

Deerock71

Maybe that 2028 announcement for that Star Wars game was too much pressure?
homer simpson miley memes GIF

EDMIX

The Division is about the only Ubi game worth a damn these days.

Nah, I disagree, I think they did a great job on many IP last gen, the division included.
I think Ubisoft is going to die or be purchased in 2/3 years.

lol yea I see little evidence to that. Being bought? Maybe, die? lolz.....unlikely.

They moved some of the most units last gen. So....I don't see anything suggesting they are going anywhere, the ip being talked about on this thread moved record units for them at its release.

They'll be fine.

Assassin’s Creed is still great even if AC Valhalla was worse than the previous two games.

yea but even AC Valhalla being worse is debatable. Lots recommend it or like it more then the rest. The fact that Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are even debated shows they must have done a pretty good job on em if they have their own little fanbases lol I like Origins, in the middle of Odyssey so can't say how I feel about it compared to the other 2, but I can see why someone might like 1 game over the other if they like a setting or theme or character more or something, but I personally haven't found the continuation of those titles as worse in many departments.

They already expressed the wish to be brought as long as they remain independent - doing whatever they want

I wouldn't be surprised if they are saying this based on how Sony did that deal with Bungie.

Fredrik

yea but even AC Valhalla being worse is debatable. Lots recommend it or like it more then the rest. The fact that Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are even debated shows they must have done a pretty good job on em if they have their own little fanbases lol I like Origins, in the middle of Odyssey so can't say how I feel about it compared to the other 2, but I can see why someone might like 1 game over the other if they like a setting or theme or character more or something, but I personally haven't found the continuation of those titles as worse in many departments.
To be honest, my main reason for not liking Valhalla as much as Odyssey and Origins comes from how I catched a save bug and was thrown back 20 hours or so.
When I found out it had truly happened I just closed the game and uninstalled it and and looked up the ending on Youtube. 🤷‍♂️

But I had also been annoyed for awhile that the protagonist was an invading viking, for me the theme itself was taking it too far, that wasn’t Assassin’s Creed for me. And they ruined the stealth by forcing me to call in a gang of screaming Vikings to raid and burn down settlements just so I could get help opening a door or chest.

Then I thought it was a downgrade to go from Greece and it’s crystal clear water and sunny weather to England and it’s muddy waters and foggy weather.

The action itself is solid though. Better than ever.
And I have since got back my save file from the cloud and has played through the Kassandra bonus quests and is interested in the Ragnarök DLC as well.

Again, Assassin’s Creed is still great, right now I would rate Valhalla 7/10, Origins 8/10 and Odyssey 9/10, the IP is still fine, I just hope they find a more interesting theme next time.

Zeroing

Banned
Nah, I disagree, I think they did a great job on many IP last gen, the division included.

lol yea I see little evidence to that. Being bought? Maybe, die? lolz.....unlikely.

They moved some of the most units last gen. So....I don't see anything suggesting they are going anywhere, the ip being talked about on this thread moved record units for them at its release.

They'll be fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are saying this based on how Sony did that deal with Bungie.
It was if I’m not mistaken a week after the Bungie deal so yes.

Ubisoft bought a RTS franchise Studio and relegated them to bullshit Open World Action Games. They could have got them to make Endwar 2 or something.

EDMIX

To be honest, my main reason for not liking Valhalla as much as Odyssey and Origins comes from how I catched a save bug and was thrown back 20 hours or so.
When I found out it had truly happened I just closed the game and uninstalled it and and looked up the ending on Youtube. 🤷‍♂️

But I had also been annoyed for awhile that the protagonist was an invading viking, for me the theme itself was taking it too far, that wasn’t Assassin’s Creed for me. And they ruined the stealth by forcing me to call in a gang of screaming Vikings to raid and burn down settlements just so I could get help opening a door or chest.

Then I thought it was a downgrade to go from Greece and it’s crystal clear water and sunny weather to England and it’s muddy waters and foggy weather.

The action itself is solid though. Better than ever.
And I have since got back my save file from the cloud and has played through the Kassandra bonus quests and is interested in the Ragnarök DLC as well.

Again, Assassin’s Creed is still great, right now I would rate Valhalla 7/10, Origins 8/10 and Odyssey 9/10, the IP is still fine, I just hope they find a more interesting theme next time.

True. That sucks man. I hope by the time I pick it up that save thing was corrected.

I'm ok with them going to different locations, settings, themes cause we all won't 100% agree on any setting tbh, but maybe thats a good thing that they don't want to be only focused on 1 story, setting, idea and we are bound to get a few misses. So lets say they go to a location you really love, I'm sure many will be mad cause they didn't choose Russia, Turkey, Africa etc. Who knows. So long as they keep it fresh and allow the team that freedom, I'm ok with it, even if its a location I don't care for.

I'd rather have that then the same thing repeated I guess. I'll have to see for myself how I rate Odyssey when I'm done with it though, so far I like it a lot

Top Bottom